ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 12-17-2021, 06:58 PM   #1191
Ksteel
Mutant
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Dude, that DC Collectibles Reverse Flash is quite expensive on the aftermarket.

Good job at acquiring it, that's dedication.
Ksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:17 PM   #1192
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

735-2
McFarlane Toys- Fortnite: Rhino

I?m not going to bury the lead here: If Rhino was my first McFarlane Fortnite figure I would have returned it to the store and passed on the line entirely. I?m not even kidding; Rhino sucks. Okay, maybe I?m being a bit harsh. The basic figure is fine, but there are just some REALLY frustrating things about him that could have been solved if the toy designers just picked him up and ?played? with him for two minutes. And do you know what the frustrating thing is? EVERY TOY COMPANY should be doing this. Pick up a general release out of the package and play with the dang thing. Pose it, use the weapons, try to display it on a shelf and if it doesn?t work then FIX IT! It?s not a difficult concept.

Pros: I REALLY wanted to love Rhino given that he looks super in the package, unfortunately that is the extent of his PROS: He just looks really cool.

Cons: Ok, He?s super top heavy and difficult to pose, he can?t turn his head, the backpack does not fit on correctly because of his shoulder exhaust ports and that frickin shoulder rocket launcher sucks sooo bad. A. His head is too big to place on his shoulder, the eye piece doesn?t line up and it?s super heavy making it even harder to pose! I mean, it's a cool weapon, but when it?s the only one included with the figure then I really should work well with the figure right?

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #1193
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksteel View Post
Dude, that DC Collectibles Reverse Flash is quite expensive on the aftermarket.

Good job at acquiring it, that's dedication.
IT IS!?!?!

I got it for 15 bucks and think I over paid.

Well, it?s for sale now if anyone wants to check my eBay page.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #1194
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

736-2
ToyBiz- Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring: Prince Isildur

I am by no means a Lord of the Rings scholar. I mean I know a thing or two, but I?ve only read the books once and never delved into Tolkien's supportive works. It?s not that I would not want to, given that he built such an amazing world, but I just can?t really read/understand the stuff he wrote. That said, I AM a big fan of the movies and really implore anyone who is a fan, and has the time, to watch the extended versions. Yes they provide more world building, but they also feature a lot more scenes from non-main characters, including Isildur. In fact, one scene in particular answered a question that I long had: The one ring gives its owner power, but it never really establishes what kind of power. Sure, it made both Frodo and Bilbo disappear, but no man had it long enough to show the effect on humans. Turns out, works the same: they turn invisible. Wait, is that it? Did it not have other powerful effects on the wearer? I may need to do a bit more digging on this ring of power.

Pros: Sorry to say, but you will never get an unbiased review on these Toybiz Lord of the Rings figures: I just love them too much. Everything from the sculpt, to the decent for the time articulation and the accessories are a win for this line.

Cons: Slight issue: his helmet is super tight and would have benefited from being just a hair bigger.

Old 12-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #1195
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

737-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: General Hux

Somewhere online a question was posed as to my favorite sequel character and it’s not that big of a contest for me: easily Kylo Ren. That said, one character that I really enjoyed, that is for EP 7 and 8 is General Hux and feel that they really did him dirty in the 9th movie. I mean, they did a lot of people dirty in Rise of Skywalker, but I’m trying to focus on the positive here. Hux was the perfect internal foil for Kylo and I think if developed further we could have seen a solid Darth Vader vs. Grand Moff Tarkin (whose first name is Wilhuff BTW) rivalry. I even would have been ok with him turning to the Resistance, but instead they unceremoniously killed him off for no good reason at all: SAD.

Pros: I actually really like this Black Series version of General Hux. He has a solid sculpt with decent likeness, usable articulation even with the hard-plastic trench coat and a nice little side arm.

Cons: No holster for his blaster is a real bummer

Old 12-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #1196
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-4
Hasbro- Fortnite Victory Royale Series: Rippley

*deep sigh*

I?m not sure what hold Fortnite has on me, but it?s clear that I apparently cannot get enough, because Rippley made his way into my collection even though I said I was not going to collect Hasbro?s Fortnite offerings. Yes I still have multiple McFarlane and Jazwares figures to open and no I still do not play the game, but I have to be real when I say I like cool toys and if Rippley is any indication, Hasbro?s Fortnite series is producing some really cool toys. Much like the Gi Joe Classified, Ghostbusters Plasma, Overwatch Legendary and Power Rangers figures that make up Hasbro?s ?non-Marvel, Star Wars, Transformers? lines, these Fortnite figures have some MAJOR investment thrown into them. And while I?m sure that repaints will eventually be part of the line, it is so refreshing to see new and unique designs for each character. I mean, just look at this guy: he?s beefy, translucent and is basically a little head on a stick: SO FUN!

Pros: So I really hate that Rippley because I really wasn?t planning on getting into this line. But, as the saying goes: the heart wants what the heart wants and I want cool toys. Top down this figure rocks and serves as a reminder why Hasbro is (in my humble opinion) the king of toy makers. Fantastic sculpt with lots of detail, solid articulation that does not detract from the figure, but still allows for some great poses, and some great accessories that key to each Fortnite figure. The removable helmet with articulated head is also a nice touch. I also want to give Hasbro a BIG kudos for reducing plastic waste in their packaging. Lots of cardboard, minimal plastic and accessories wrapped in paper. I?m not an environmentalist (I buy a lot of plastic), but can appreciate these little steps to cut down on waste.

Cons: Minimal and nitpicky, but the backpack doesn?t figure very well, and the gun is really bendy. Overall this is a great figure and a must for anyone who likes neat toys.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #1197
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

738-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Nova

It?s surprising to me that the character of Nova has not yet made an appearance in the MCU. Surly he, or the Nova Corps has been just on the outside and part of the overall plan at one time or another. I mean, they are even mentioned in the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie however that was a long time ago (in Marvel Movie years anyways). In fact, I?m willing to bet that there was some plan to introduce the character, but was sidetracked when another space themed, super powered being that can shoot energy beams out of her hands was introduced. That said, there is a version, this ?Kid Nova? character of Sam Alexander, might just make the grade considering that most of his comic contemporaries, included Falcon Captain America, Ms Marvel and Miles Morals, have seen a lot of screen time lately

Pros: This is my second review of Nova given that my first one was lost and I?m actually happy that I got to do it again as I was a bit too harsh. The mold is detailed to match the character design/body type and the head sculpt looks great. Articulation works well enough and I appreciated that Hasbro included a little Nova Corp buddy Phlish.

Cons: A character of this stature deserves a bit more for the money. Removable helmet? Nope. Extra unmasked head sculpt? Nope. Extra hands? Pass. Repurposed blast effects? Not even. For thirty bucks we should be expecting more.

Old 12-24-2021, 04:00 PM   #1198
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

739-2
Hasbro: Transformers Siege: Ultra Magnus

Wow. I have honestly not been this impressed with an Ultra Magnus figure since the now ancient Robots in Disguise cartoon from 2001. For those keeping track, that was 20 years ago and represents a longer period of time to now, then RID did to the original cartoon series; which is kind of insane to think about. Now that is not to say that there has not been good versions of Ultra Magnus over the years, Animated and Combiner Wars come to mind, but Siege really feels like a toy that the Generation 1 figure aimed to be; that is essentially an armored version of Optimus Prime and I feel it?s a really cool look that had a lot of potential that was never really explored in the various Transformers media throughout the years. Now that I mention it, how great would a line devoted to armor power-ups be? Ultra BumbleBee? Ultra Wheeljack? Ultra Jetfire? I might need to stop this review and start working out the details to sell to Hasbro?.

Pros: I really love this version of Ultra Magnus and feel that Hasbro totally hit it out of the park with him. Looks great in all four(?) modes, has a super fun and intuitive transformation that incorporates parts-forming AND traditional conversion, a good amount of poseability and a few weapons to complete the look.

Cons: I?m not a huge fan of some of the added style details they incorporated on these Siege figures. I suppose it?s an extra ?Cybertronian? look and matches the series but looks a bit too busy. Also, as a fan of Ultra Magnus, I REALLLLY hate the characters direction in the show.

Old 12-24-2021, 04:01 PM   #1199
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 12-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #1200
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-5
DC Collectables: Batman The Animated Series: Holiday Joker.

Well, I guess this counts as a tradition now given that this is the second year in a row that I?m reviewing some Christmas themed figures and I could not be happier. I mean, what is better than the Christmas season? Holiday with the Joker is particularly special to me given that I remember watching this Batman episode all those years ago and now hold It up to the same level as other holiday specials/movies like How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Mickey?s Christmas Carol and of course A Christmas Story. I also find it interesting that The Simpsons started their run with a Christmas episode and perhaps feel that the mark of a long lasting cartoon series could be the early inclusion of a holiday themed episode? Perhaps, but they also may just stand out to me as they are pertinent to my interests.

At any rate, Christmas with the Joker is a super fun romp and is charming as heck. Here is the synopsis from Wikipedia:

After escaping Arkham Asylum on Christmas Eve, the Joker takes over Gotham's airwaves and terrorizes the city. He challenges Batman and Robin to find his hidden TV studio and free his hostages ? Commissioner Gordon, Detective Bullock and Summer Gleeson ? before midnight.

The thing that I find interesting is that this episode comes out so early in the series, but establishes that this takes place quite far into the mythos of the character. Batman is established, the Joker is a known criminal and Robin is basically a fully grown man that butts heads with Bruce. In a world filled with origin stories it was really nice to join our hero in the middle of his story given that we all know the background at this point. And while it isn?t without some silly parts, I think It?s a really nice holiday special and one that I try to watch every year.

Pros: As with all the other DC Collectables figures, Holiday Joker has an amazing sculpt and looks like he jumped right out of the cartoon. I like the episode specific accessories including the ?Christmas Tree'', ornaments, spare hands and candy cane and really love that they included the little hand puppet that he speaks through during the episode.

Cons: I didn?t realize it at the time, but DC Collectables really went cheap with these newer figures. Really impacts this Joker below the knees where there is extremely limited foot articulation. No foot pivot or ankle tilts make it frustrating to pose without using the brutal stand. Also, the pegs used on the hands are a bit too large for the hole provided. It?s easily fixed, but a silly problem to have to deal with.