ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 02:36 PM   #891
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #892
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

527-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends Premium: Wolverine

I have a bit of a love/dislike relationship with these Premium Legend figures as when they are done well, like Thor and Wolverine, they are pretty fantastic, but when they are basically 6” legends that have been doubled in size, I am less than enthused. I’m also realizing that I’m not a fan of the 12” size class given that they take up a very large footprint on the shelf, but with limited overall benefit to make up for that lost space. All said, they were a fun experiment, but Hasbro is better off investing in other endeavors.

Pros: When Wolverine was announced as part of this premium line there was little question as to if I was going to add him to my collection. You see, I’ve become quite enamored to the Wolverine character in the past few years and really appreciate all the love he’s been getting from Hasbro these days. And while I would have preferred his brown costume instead of this tiger stripe look, it still is an extremely cool aesthetic. As with the other 12’ premium figures, Wolverine has a fantastic sculpt, nice paint scheme, decent amount of articulation that allows for some decent poses. Accessorily wise he’s pretty well supplied with a few spare fists, an unmasked head, a masked head and some additional parts/head sculpt that gives him a “just got out of a fight” look.

Cons: As mentioned I would have loved this to feature his brown suit, but I get that this is his more well-known look. That said, everything else is pretty fantastic on this figure, so no real other complaints.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #893
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

528-2
Disney Toy Box- Pixar: Mike Wazowski & Radall

I’m continuing my quest to watch and review the entire Disney Animation collection to date. See reviews 429-2, 434-2, 456-2 461-2, 484-2, 513-2 & 518-2 for previous entries.

Victory Through Air Power- 1943

Victory Through Airpower is a big departure from the whimsical Disney releases of the time and a MASSIVE difference to the currently squeaky clean, family friends company that it has grown in to, but still represents a very important time for the world, helped solidify the company to what it would eventually become and legitimize animation as a legitimate media type. It’s not available on Disney Plus or anything, but you can watch the entire thing on youtube here: https://youtu.be/tUeKeN9bXSE

More of a documentary with animated segments, VTP is a wartime propaganda file based on the non-fiction book of the same name written by war strategist Maj. Alexander P. Seversky, that basically makes a case for long range bombing missions in order to win the war. On the surface, the premise is a bit bizarre given that this was the same company that made Bambi a few years before, but also because it kind of seems like a no-brainer that long range bombing would be a really effective way to actually win a war. I suppose in this modern day and age it's hard to imagine a time when planes were considered new technology and benefits to their usage was still being sussed out, but clearly there were some sceptics. And that is where Disney came in. Apparently he read the book and felt very compelled to make the film in order to get Seversky’s message out to powers that be to help with the war effort; which according to some, actually made a difference to how WW 2 was fought and ultimately won.

The film itself has some fun animated segments that are reminacant to many of the Disney shorts of the time that go into the history of flight, plane usage in the first World War and an actual strategic use of planes for the current ongoing war in Europe. At times it feels that you are watching a Goofy :how to Movie” but quickly dawns on you that this is a real military plan to bomb the Nazi’s with the goal to kill a lot of people.

After the release of this movie it seemed as though Disney wanted to keep up the animated documentaries and started producing a series of animated shorts for all sorts of day to day things. A few of note that are also on Youtube:

Cleanliness Brings Health: https://youtu.be/QOA-YYlePds
Insects as Carriers of Disease: https://youtu.be/8SaY8Jhr_ts
I’m No Fool with Fire featuring Jiminy Cricket: https://youtu.be/U0-SohacgTE
And perhaps the piece de resistance: The Story of Menstruation: https://youtu.be/eLhld_PI2zg

There are a bunch more if you want to check out this playlist on YouTube: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2-6ub87I1lILiB

Pros: Mike Wazowski: A super nice sculpt that captures his unique monster look really well and has a decent amount of articulation considering that he’s just a ball with arms and legs.

Randell: As with Mike, has a really nice sculpt with a surprising amount of articulation throughout his body and all his legs. I also love how they incorporated his ability to turn invisible.

Cons: Mike: Only issue is that both arms and legs movement is hindered by how they are attached to his body. I would have also liked it if his eyeball could move around.

Randell: Nothing. Randell is a fantastic figure that really exemplifies how fun this Toy Box line can be.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:04 PM   #894
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 03-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #895
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

529-2
Jazewars- Fortnite Legendary: Abstrakt

Sometimes I loth being a toy collector who opens their toys and truly sees the appeal of keeping them in their plastic prison. Figures kept safely in their package are perfect as far as anyone knows. A MISB figure and no stiff or loose joints, no broken parts or factory errors and certainly always has the potential to be a really fun toy. Unfortunately once that seal is broken and that figure is played with, all of these issues come to light and sometimes leads to a toy not meeting the high expectations that one has for a highly anticipated figure. I suppose this is a really long way to say that my Jazwares Abstrakt figure had an extremely stiff shoulder joint which led to my breaking the arm at the biceps swivel. With some MacGyver level ingenuity I was able to “repair” his arm for display, but the shoulder is still frozen. I looked for a replacement, but nothing was available for the price I wanted to pay, however I thought I would give Jazwares a chance to rectify and to my surprise they offered to send me out a replacement. They even sent me another 4’ figure to apologize for the wait while they located a new Abstrakt. As of this writing I have not received the replacement, but they can confirm with me a number of times saying that it is on the way. I know that these Jazwares figures are a bit divisive, but I continue to love them and really commend Jazwares for standing behind their product for collectors; really incredible stuff.

Pros: In a world of Robots and Banana mean, I was actually drawn to Abstrakt for his relative normal looking aesthetic. The fact that his outfit, including the hat, is basically what I wear day in and day out probably has something to do with it, but the other stuff, including the breathing mask and paint splotches just finish off the overall look. LIke other Fortnite figures he comes with a slough of accessories including a Sniper Rifle, pistol, some expression faces, a backpack, a paint roller pickaxe and, for some reason lost on me given that I don’t play the game, a balloon.

Cons: Generally speaking the figure is pretty good, however the combination of the hat and breathing mask make it very difficult to both pose the head and swap out the faces. Unfortunately my version has a frozen shoulder joint (something that is becoming to be an issue on these figures) and led to the arm breaking off at the biceps swivel. A bummer for sure, but Jazwares offered to send a replacement. UPDATE: Jazwares sent a figure, but unfortunately it was a figure that I already have and I’m not going to press the issue any further however its a bit of a bummer that they didn’t replace with the same figure like they said they would, OR offer a figure that I don’t already have.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #896
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

530-2
Hasbro- Marvel First 10 Years: Captain America & Peggy Carter.

As of this writing the new Disney Plus series Wandavision has just premiered and I have mixed feelings. It is important to note is that it has been over a year and a half since the last MCU project was released given that there was an unforeseen delay of theatrical release of Black Widow that has unfairly put a lot of pressure on this MCU related show to satiate the rabid fans who have waited in summer 2019 for more MCU content. And while I like where this series is going, I can see a lot of people quite literally turned off by a show that is extremely fair from a punch ‘em up, action filled feast for the eyes that the MCU films are known for. I mean, I’m sure there is way more to the story and those who stick with the series will be rewarded with some really cool storytelling as well as an eventual payoff that will connect to the overall MCU, but it will not be for everyone. That said, I adore Elizabeth Olson and Paul Benttany as leads and I’m really looking forward to where it is heading.

Pros: Captain America: This may be terrible to say, but this could be my favorite Captain America release to date. Why terrible? Well aside from a sliver of blue under his gear, the figure hardly seems like a standard Capt figure. Sure there are other accessories that complete the look including 2 nice head sculpts, a blue A helmet and some trade mark shields, but if I was a customizer, this feels like it could be perfect custom fodder for a GI Joe figure. Two other pluses include a working holster for his pistol and a sheath for his knife. I REALLY love little details like that.

Peggy Carter: Overall Peggy has a great sculpt and face likeness and fits well packed with Steve.

Cons: Captain American: While this isn’t a con per se, there is very little difference between the head sculpts and I’m not sure what they elected to keep both.

Peggy Carter: I am not a massive Pegger Carter fan, but I can’t help but feel that Hasbro REALLY fucked up with Peggy. Yes the sculpt is decent and matches well to the movie, but she’s meant to be an ACTION figure right? By giving her a hard plastic skirt they have all but made her a statue from the waist down. Like, what a disservice to both the character and the fans that have grown to love her. She’s a total badass and last time I checked, a bad ass should have the ability to move her legs right? I mean, I can barely get her to stand up…. So frustrating.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #897
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 03-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #898
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

531-2
Playmates- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Donatello

Well folks, this is it, my official last TMNT figure from my in storage collection and my last TMNT review.

***Record scratch and freeze frame***

Narrator: Team Jetfire was done with TMNT toys. He amassed a nice collection and really was not into the new style TMNT figures from the new Cartoon”

***Time returns to TJ typing away at his computer***

I can’t say that I’m too sad about it as I have a decent collection of TMNT from various eras and not a big fan of the new cartoon. I suppose there are those NECA Movie figures, but I’m really not interested in hunting those down.

Narrator: Team Jefire was very interested in hunting down the NECA Turtles.

And even IF i found all four, I doubt I’d want to pay the $30 for them.

Narrator: Team Jetfire knew that when it came down to it, his Platinum Edge card would give him a 15% discount on all collectables internalizing the cost for more toys that he really did not need.

And when it all comes down to it, I really have no space on my shelves.

Narrator: He knows there is always more room.

Well, I guess that is that, no more new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for me.

Narrator: Team Jefire later bought all 4 NECA movie turtles later that day from his local comic book store. To his credit they were marked down to $15 each, but still has an issue of placement.

Yeah, I bought all four…

Pros: Well, because he’s Donatello and my favorite character I have an obligation to say that he is the best of the bunch, but in actual fact, just the same figure with a purple mask, a bo staff and a strap to hold it. That said, I still really appreciate that they released this line of fully articulated classic looking figures at a time before 6”, articulated figures were the norm.

Cons: Unfortunately my Donatello has a bit of a factory defect on his left foot that prevents the ball joint from fitting snugly in place. It’s not a deal breaker and only comes out if I try to pose the foot, but a bit of a bummer considering he’s my favorite of the bunch.

Old 03-09-2021, 04:47 PM   #899
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

532-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Kitty Pryde.

Anyone else wish that we got to see more of Kitty Pride from the X-Men: Days of Future Past movie? Played by Elliot (Ellen at the time) Page, the character had a ton of potential as we see in the first 10 minutes and her role is extremely important to the entire story, but I feel that there could have been much more. For example, when she is running from the Sentinels, she shares a very telling look with Iceman, who has historically been linked to Rouge in the movies. What is that about? Are they romantically involved? Did he give up on Rouge? I must know!!

Pros: On my last review I kind of ripped into the X-Men Dark Phoenix movie for their ridiculously cheap and stupid looking costumes. That said, I think they were based on this look of the X-Team, which I actually really like, but instead of skintight spandex, then went with an unflattering polyester zip up. I'm not saying that the uniform needs to be skin tight spandex, but let's be honest, it looks pretty good. Additionally, Kitty has a great head sculpt, hair that doesn’t mess with pose-abilty and her little Dragon friend that can sit on her shoulder that I’m going to call Figment. (Fans of Disney World circa 1985 should get that reference.) She also comes with a Magneto head, but I’m not sure why.

Cons: Outside of Hasbro not including a reason for the Magneto helmet, my only issue is the female body mold that continues to be reused. Do female characters not warrant scratching their noses?

Old 03-10-2021, 03:32 AM   #900
DanM
Aquanaut

The Magneto head was for the Onslaught BAF that came out around the same time.

Lockheed and Figment both debuted in 1983, hard to say which came first.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote