ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-07-2022, 05:40 PM   #1391
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehCollector View Post
Rotate that grill section to reveal a peg hole for the drill.

Thank you for posting, I enjoy reading the thread
Is that it? Was I just too dumb to figure it out? Well, double shame on me for for missing it.

Thanks for reading!
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:40 PM   #1392
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

843-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Sigma 6: Gung Ho

It?s funny how things are sometimes. See at the time of this writing there is a rather large hubbub about the retro style carded Gung Ho figure that was released via Wal-Mart in the states. The issue stems from some collectors who are not happy that the figure isn?t an exact scaled-up and updated Gung Ho that they had as a kid. Apparently the first Gung-Ho had rather sizable shortcomings including an actual army green outfit (vs teal blue), a high and tight haircut (vs bald) and a non-descript hat (apparently a slight to all the real marines out there). Turns out Hasbro was listening and released a new retro version with all the hallmarks of the original version, but with one glaring issue literally front and center: his trademark tattoo. See, back in the day version 1 Gung-Ho was adorned with a rather bad ass marine chest tattoo and while the new classified versions have chest tats, they are a bit of a downgrade, so much so that they are being called Nazi symboles and a slap in the face to any fan of GI Joe (actual opinion I saw on the internet). Apparently it has something to do with the Marine symbol being trademarked, which is ridiculous in its own right, but I digress. Here?s a hot take from someone who had the original Gung Ho: I personally don?t care and while I understand the desire for some people to capture a bit of nostalgia from their childhood, it?s just so stupid getting upset about changes to a character that has been changed already so many times. Buy the toy or don?t, but please stop bitching about things that are out of Hasro?s control.

Pros: I was really looking forward to this Sigma 6 Style Gung Ho figure and I?ll be honest, he did not disappoint. A great Sigma style sculpt with amazing accessories including a massive gun, a ammo belt that can be run through the weapon to make a clicking sound on the gun, a knife and sheath, a removable helmet, belt and body armor and a swiss army style multi-tool. So much FUN! Also check out that actual Marine tattoo?

Cons: Minor issues with articulation, but nothing that wasn?t solid for the time of release.

Don?t tell the lawyers!
Old 10-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #1393
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

844-2
Mattel- Masters of the Universe Revelation: Evil-Lyn

Well this is annoying: I wrote an entire review on Evil-Lyn about how on the nose her name was, but it wasn’t saved by my google docs, so you’ll just have to deal with my abridged edited version that will consist of saying: Masters of the Universe characters were hilariously named and I have to imagine that the person who came up with Evil-Lyn just had gone through a bad divorce from a lady named Evelyn.

Pros: Mattel is really killing it with these Revelation figures and while I had some minor issues with her linemates, I’m really impressed with how Evil-Lyn turned out. First the sculpt is literally beautiful with lots of detail from the Netflix series, The articulation is great and is able to pull off double jointed elbows, something Hasbro still can’t on female molds and the accessories are ideal for the character with a alt head sculpt, some staffs and some spare hands. Overall a great deal for $30.

Cons: Minor issue, her non-helmeted head sculpt can’t turn her head very well on account of the flowing white hair

Old 10-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #1394
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

845-2
Diamond Select- The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring: Frodo Baggins.

Whoever is designing and producing these Lord of the Rings toys needs a raise; at the very least I’d like to buy them a pint of ale because Frodo, in my humble opinion, has the hallmarks of the perfect action figure collectable: A solid detailed sculpt with a good amount of detail, USEABLE articulation that isn’t hindered and key accessories that accentuate and make sense for the figure. Thankfully Frodo hits most of these out of the park. I have high hopes for the future of this line.

Pros: Frodo has a solid sculpt with a great likeness, a perfect amount of articulation (no hand or foot joints) and comes with both his dagger Sting and the Phial of Galadriel, his gift from the elf queen.

Cons: My only issue with this otherwise amazing figure is I would have liked to see a few more accessories from his journey thrown in.

Old 10-12-2022, 03:35 PM   #1395
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

846-2
McFarlane Toys- Fortnite: Hybrid

What can I say about McFarlane's Fortnite figures, and Fortnite in general that I haven't already said? It seems like years ago that I first saw them on store shelves and immediately discounted them as a silly fad or just figures to appease gamers and while they are both that, they are also extremely fun and well made action figures. I don't suppose that these are available at retail any longer, but if you can and you are a fan of weird/fun stuff, I have to recommend at least picking one up. Hell, they are probably on sale.

Pros: Hybrid is a great looking figure that looks to be based off any level of current or past science fiction and really feels familiar as a villainous species trying to take over the word from the brave humans. The sculpt is fantastic having lots of detail, the articulation is McFarlane standard, and the backpack, gun and building tool look great and can be held without issue. One quick note about the gun, how cool is it that McFarlane has produced both realistic modern weapons, but also old-timey muskets like this? I don't think they get enough credit for that.

Cons: While I love that they included a tail on the figure, it's a bit rigid and can sometimes interfere with poses.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:29 PM   #1396
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-18
Hasbro- Fortnite Victory Royal Series: Bushranger

Two things: 1. Despite some recent issues and annoying price hikes, Hasbro is and will continue to be, easily the best toy manufacturer in the world. They continue to produce fantastic figures from the key lines like Star Wars, Marvel Legends and Transformers, but also have the ability to crush with smaller lines like GI Joe, Power Rangers and of course Fortnite. 2. I will never stop buying Fortnite toys despite still never playing a round, nor understanding the hype surrounding it: they are just WAY TO FUN.

Pros: Bushranger is my second Hasbro Fortnite figure and is better than it has any right to be. First thing is that it is all original parts. I mean, of course it is because they are a tree spirit, but in a world of mold re-use that Hasbro is famous for, it seems crazy that a new figure with all new parts would ever have been produced. That said, it’s a Hallmark of this Hasbro Fortnite line and one of the reasons why I like it. Additionally the articulation plentiful, without being a hindrance and allows for a number of decent poses. Lastly the accessories are perfect for the character and he looks great all geared up.

Cons: Two minor things: Bushrangers feet are very small making staninding a bit of a challenge and I wish he had storage for his building tools.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:15 PM   #1397
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

847-2
Super7- Disney Ultimate's: Sorcerer Mickey

Well kids, time to sit down while I tell you a tail of pure frustration and perhaps give a warning at the same time. See, I had never ordered from Super7 before and didn't know their reputation for delays and if I knew that I would have been receiving my figures that I ordered almost 2 years ago (almost to the day that I'm writing this in fact, I would have saved my money; but I am getting ahead of myself. Here's the thing: I like Disney and I like action figures, so when I saw that a company was producing high quality figures of fairly obscure characters like Prince John from Robin Hood, I figured that they were right up my alley. I paid my money and filed it away thinking that it wouldn't be too long before they were shipped out. After all, I've pre-ordered other toys in the past and they always take a few months, but I was not prepared for how Super7 apparently operates. And while I'm not on the “inside”, but If I was to make an assumption it would be that Super7 works on a crowd funding model. Roll out a product with pre-orders funding the production costs. It's a solid strategy given that it allows more access to cool things that may not hit the normal market, but I'd like to see them being more upfront with the production timelines given that regular people can't continue to tie up hundreds of dollars up with eventual releases. What is worse is that this seems to be Hasbro's (the biggest toy manufacturer in the world) new business model, but I digress: I know this is a thing now and have tempered my expectations, but even with the production delays Super7 still managed to make things worse for me.

I finally got word that wave 1 of these Untimate's were completed. How you say? I saw them on the shelf at my local comic book store. Yup, that's right, the figures that I ordered the day that they were dropped, directly from the manufacturer AND PAID SHIPPING for, were right there in front of me, within arms reach and for less money than I paid. Unbelievable. I took solace in the fact that my order was probably going to be filled soon, but there was still trouble on the horizon.
I'll be honest, I was less excited and more relieved when I got the shipping notice as I had legitimately thought they forgot about me and my order, but then got anxious all over again when I saw zero movement on the tracking for the package for 2 weeks. A shipping label was created, but that was it. The delivery window came and went and still no movement and it was time to go into male Karen mode. I started out nice and explained the situation and received a canned, yet helpful answer from their customer care team. After a few days of no movement or communication, I emailed again, and again, and again and again. I literally emailed them every single day for 2 weeks until finally someone told me to stop and that they shipped out the figures. I'm honestly not sure if these were the original figures, or what happened, but it seemed to be the real deal this time with a little more insult to injury: I still had to pay duty on the goddamn package when it finally came.

So, in review: Don't buy directly from Super7 unless you want to pay more and receive the figures after your local comic store. If you see something that you are interested in, check out the online retail shops or your local comic store to see if they are getting them first.

Pros: Well despite the issue of actually getting it, Sorcerer Mickey is a beautiful figure and for the most part, worth the wait. First off I want to say that Super7 does an amazing job on the packaging for these Ultimate's figures and would display super nice if I was a MISB collector. Out of the package, Mickey feels solid for a small figure and has a decent amount of articulation for a figure this size. The fabric cloak is very soft and fits well considering how small Mickey is and should be used as an example to other toy companies who don't want to splurge on soft-goods opting for plastic. Accessory wise he's pretty well stocked with alternate heads and hands (that are easy to change), an ax, a sentient broom with water buckets and a gigantic spell book. Real nice figure.

Cons: a few minor things: It looks as though the hands on the broom were put on the wrong arms, but looking at other pictures, it seems like a wide scale production issue. Also, a peg stand for Mickey would have helped with posing and should have been incorporated on the massive spell book.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:16 PM   #1398
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 10-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #1399
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

848-2
Toybiz- Lord of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring: Gil-Galad.

Not since Hasbro and the Star Wars franchise has a toy manufacturer produced so many background characters in a movie or series and I for one think it’s a bit of a bummer. Yes, it’s nice that companies like Diamond Select and Loyal Subjects are producing new figures, but we will only get the main cast if we are lucky. Unfortunately it seems that time has passed on the “toy merchandise” push for movie studios with even Hasbro passing on some real easy releases in both current Star Wars and Marvel properties. I mean, just look at the Black Series 6” line up for Rise of Skywalker. I think there were only 4-5 figures released in total for the entire movie, none of which were Finn, Poe or old Lando? Sure, the movie might not be anyone’s favorite, but I loved Finn’s overall look. I guess this is the sign of the times, but I do miss these background character toys.

Pros: Look at this amazing detail that Toybiz was able to manage on this figure from 20 years ago that probably cost $15 at the time. Crazy. The articulation is surprisingly good and even has some minimal tilt on his ankles to help with poses. Lastly the accessories, spear and shield, look amazing and work with the character really well.

Cons: I had thought Toybiz had dropped the action features on these later figures and even though it is minimal, I still don’t love it. Also, can we talk about that head sculpt? I made the mistake of watching Fast Times of Ridgemont High and can’t help but see Sean Penn’s head on this sculpt.

Old 10-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #1400
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

849-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Cassian Andor

Let’s talk ANDOR shall we? Depending when this review comes out, we may have already watched some or all of the new Disney+ series, or my may still be going off previews and anticipation and in all honesty I have high hopes but limited expectations. First off, I’m happy for more “NO JEDI” Star Wars. Rogue One and Solo rank very high on my favorites and I’m a big fan of the universe adjacent to the Jedi’s. Secondly I REALLY hope that we will see some payoff from the other Star Wars series set around the same time. Kenobi and Rebels created some great characters and to see them interwoven with this series would be even better. I just remembered that Saw Gerrera was featured in the last trailer, so perhaps that is just the start. Lastly on the down side, I’m worried that they are filling the bag too full and will eventually pop. What I mean is that Star Wars has crammed so much into a very short period of time and it’s getting really crowded. Time to focus on another era.

Pros: Although not as bad as his line-mate Jyn, Cassian Andor was in great supply for many a month on toy shelves and also like Jyn, he’s actually a surprisingly great figure. Solid sculpt, Usable articulation, a removable helmet, a rebel blaster and a side arm with holster. Fun figure!

Cons: It’s odd to me that they chose this “look” for the character and makes me wonder if there were more in the works. I also think he would have sold better in his classic uniform.