ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 11-28-2020, 02:22 AM   #3211
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scareglow View Post
Yeah really, I honestly can't even fathom how they can perform so poorly, and Marvel Legends is their best handled line, but still America gets things 3 months in advance, some stores in Canada get everything, and all the other stores wait 7 months to get a wave that's 3 behind the newest, and all the while you see like 1 store who got the Spiderverse wave like a week after they announced it, also how can I get a Joe fixit wave figure before I can even get a movie Fox movie figure!?, it's frustrating, and it's worse with other lines...we all know the ones.

clearly it's not hard to distribute these figures, because we see they can do it, but then it's astonishing that in fact they actually can't distribute them not remotely evenly anyways.
Collecting is more frustrating than fun now days. There's nothing fun about having to go online and PO a figure that will likely get delayed or cancelled. Nothing is fun about hoping your WM or TRU got the new wave and you don't have to wait months before they do, if they do. Nothing is fun about having to keep checking stock track every hour only to see the figure is finally in stock to have jump in your car and race to the store to find out they already sold out. Nothing is fun about going on the hunt only to find old stock or empty pegs and come home empty handed. Nothing is fun about calling your local WM and finding out some guy put on hold an entire case. I know I'm probably considered negative but how is this fun for anyone? I'm just being realistic. Hasbro is just killing this hobby for me..this hobby was much better before Hasbro started running the show.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 11-28-2020 at 02:33 AM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:40 AM   #3212
DanM
Aquanaut

At least you have your health.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:11 AM   #3213
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
Collecting is more frustrating than fun now days. There's nothing fun about having to go online and PO a figure that will likely get delayed or cancelled. Nothing is fun about hoping your WM or TRU got the new wave and you don't have to wait months before they do, if they do. Nothing is fun about having to keep checking stock track every hour only to see the figure is finally in stock to have jump in your car and race to the store to find out they already sold out. Nothing is fun about going on the hunt only to find old stock or empty pegs and come home empty handed. Nothing is fun about calling your local WM and finding out some guy put on hold an entire case. I know I'm probably considered negative but how is this fun for anyone? I'm just being realistic. Hasbro is just killing this hobby for me..this hobby was much better before Hasbro started running the show.
It can be frustrating. This little hobby is a mental escape for me from an insanely intense job and busy family life. I get a little high from getting the figures, it’s a headache if I can’t get them and I have no time to monitor stocktrack or race to the store etc. I guess it’s a better choice than crack. Those crack addicts get very testy if they don’t get their stuff. At least your not smashing windows and stabbing people.
Marvellegendsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #3214
Stryfe2026
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvellegendsguy View Post
It can be frustrating. This little hobby is a mental escape for me from an insanely intense job and busy family life. I get a little high from getting the figures, it’s a headache if I can’t get them and I have no time to monitor stocktrack or race to the store etc. I guess it’s a better choice than crack. Those crack addicts get very testy if they don’t get their stuff. At least your not smashing windows and stabbing people.
It sucks but this is honestly toy collecting in the digital age. It did used to be that TRU or Walmart were the main sources of new waves and exclusives. Not to disparage smaller companies, but all these new companies rolled into existence and suddenly it became something of an “*arms race” and now distribution and firsts are the driving force behind a lot of this stuff. I still enjoy it, but the art of the physical hunt is over. Walmart and TRU haven’t come into that digital age though, they’re still hoping that these lines will drive foot traffic. It doesn’t help that Canadians are also more likely to want brick and mortar over digital. C’est la vie.
Stryfe2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #3215
Enforcer
Dark Knight

I don't understand why it's such mental strain having to wait for a figure. Is your enjoyment of it somehow diminished because someone in the States has it a month before you?
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #3216
Sharkdog
Premium Blend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
I don't understand why it's such mental strain having to wait for a figure. Is your enjoyment of it somehow diminished because someone in the States has it a month before you?
I very much agree with this, but I can obviously see that a lot of people really enjoy the physical shopping or ‘hunting’ aspect of the hobby.

Personally, I’m from a country where there was always little available when it came to collectible figures. When I started coming to Canada I wanted to see what this whole ‘hunt’ feeling is about, and it’s honestly not for me.

Like Enforcer, I really don’t need the new figures day 1, if they take a little longer but I can reliably get them (through BigBadToyStore in the US for instance), I much prefer that to calling stores and driving around going to the same barren toy sections in Walmarts and such.
There is no satisfaction for me there, but there is loads of satisfaction for receiving a box in the mail and opening a cool new figure, even if “others had it three months ago.”
Sharkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #3217
ghostlurk29
Mutant

https://www.toysrus.ca/en/Marvel-s-B.../C4B00B5F.html

Black Cat available online at TRU (now where's Gambit and Rogue!). Slightly cheaper for those not having an Edge Platinum card.

Last edited by ghostlurk29; 11-28-2020 at 12:30 PM.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #3218
Enforcer
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkdog View Post
I very much agree with this, but I can obviously see that a lot of people really enjoy the physical shopping or ‘hunting’ aspect of the hobby.

Personally, I’m from a country where there was always little available when it came to collectible figures. When I started coming to Canada I wanted to see what this whole ‘hunt’ feeling is about, and it’s honestly not for me.

Like Enforcer, I really don’t need the new figures day 1, if they take a little longer but I can reliably get them (through BigBadToyStore in the US for instance), I much prefer that to calling stores and driving around going to the same barren toy sections in Walmarts and such.
There is no satisfaction for me there, but there is loads of satisfaction for receiving a box in the mail and opening a cool new figure, even if “others had it three months ago.”
I have a guy that I get every BAF wave through - sometimes those come months after they hit the States. I just want the peace of mind that I'll get it. I don't mind waiting. TRU exclusives can be a pain because you need to go to the store pretty regularly around when sightings first occur, but its only a few figures that will be scooped up quickly (Storm 2 pack and Rogue most recently, both of which are more plentiful now). EB exclusives are almost always easy to get, but even easier if you pre-order in store or from the site.

All told I can't think of any figure this year that was super stressful to get. Moon Knight sucks... that never came to Canada and it's such a nice figure.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #3219
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
I'm not bothered by someone getting a figure before me. I don't care about that. I also don't care about waiting a bit either. What I have a problem with is distribution and availability being a gamble. Your TRU and WM may not ever get the wave. If they do they might sell out before you even know they got it. Then depending on your location they may not even restock. EB is an option but they don't carry everything and generally have limited quantities. Small online shops is also an option but you could be waiting months for your PO and they generally don't restock. So if you miss out, that's it. For those who are fortunate enough to be able to import from U.S Retailers all the time that is also an option, but it's not an option everyone can afford to be doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryfe2026 View Post
It sucks but this is honestly toy collecting in the digital age. It did used to be that TRU or Walmart were the main sources of new waves and exclusives. Not to disparage smaller companies, but all these new companies rolled into existence and suddenly it became something of an “*arms race” and now distribution and firsts are the driving force behind a lot of this stuff. I still enjoy it, but the art of the physical hunt is over. Walmart and TRU haven’t come into that digital age though, they’re still hoping that these lines will drive foot traffic. It doesn’t help that Canadians are also more likely to want brick and mortar over digital. C’est la vie.
Going all digital would just make things even more impossible to obtain. Just look at how unreliable Amazon is with PO's when it comes to figures as well as Walmart. It would just be an even bigger headache with scalping bots thrown into the mix.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 11-28-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #3220
Stryfe2026
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvellegendsguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
I'm not bothered by someone getting a figure before me. I don't care about that. I also don't care about waiting a bit either. What I have a problem with is distribution and availability being a gamble. Your TRU and WM may not ever get the wave. If they do they might sell out before you even know they got it. Then depending on your location they may not even restock. EB is an option but they don't carry everything and generally have limited quantities. Small online shops is also an option but you could be waiting months for your PO and they generally don't restock. So if you miss out, that's it. For those who are fortunate enough to be able to import from U.S Retailers all the time that is also an option, but it's not an option everyone can afford to be doing.

Going all digital would just make things even more impossible to obtain. Just look at how unreliable Amazon is with PO's when it comes to figures as well as Walmart. It would just be an even bigger headache with scalping bots thrown into the mix.
That’s what I’m saying, that this is the age we live in for collecting. You either accept you may not get everything you want or you move on.
On a better note, how cool is that Negative Zone Spider-man?
Stryfe2026 is offline   Reply With Quote