ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 02-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #181
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Ugh, when will Hasbro do some 6" GI JOE figures? That firefly would be a dream come true for army building goons if they scaled it up (with some obvious paint mods).
Could you even imagine?? I've got some Sigma Six figures upcoming and despite the astetic, I think they prove that Joes would florish with a 6" line.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #182
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

075-2
Bandai- Thundercats: Wilykit

Well, not sure what I was expecting here, but unfortunately Wilykit is a bit of a bust. Sure the sculpt is decent and the oversized skateboard is alright, but the actual figure is basically a statue and not even the good kind that are sculpted in a dynamic pose that make her look a little bit cool when she is on her oversized skateboard so much so that she reminds me of a Mcdonalds toy.

Pros: Nice likeness, alright accessories.

Cons: Very static figure with very little possibility.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #183
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

076-2
Hasbro- Titans Return: Windblade.

I checked out the Combiner Wars series on YouTube to see Wingblade in action and it is bad, like REALLY bad; makes me wish for the days of Energon and that is saying something. Sure, it’s nice that Hasbro developed a series to showcase these figures in action, but this looked like a poorly done student project. It’s a bit unfortunately given that The Transformers brand was built on cartoons and while I recognize that Rescue Bots and Robots in Disguise is a thing, it's really geared to younger kids. Is it too much to ask for a show as well produced as Transformers Animated?

Cartoon feature notwithstanding, I quite like the character of Wingblade and was happy to pick her up. I feel like I have another version of her, unopened, but not really sure where it would be and like the headmaster gimmick because it allows for extra playability with the robot head pilot.

Pros: Head gimmick is seamless and works well, solid robot mode with great poseability.

Cons: Jet mode it a bit basic with hands being completely visible. Blades look a bit oversized and out of place when attached to wings.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #184
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

077-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends:Machine Man

Judging by the fact that Machine Man is still peg warming in some Walmarts, I’m going to take a wild guess and say that he is not the most popular Marvel character. I suppose I see why as the role of android/robot is currently filled by Vision, but I could see Machine Man featured in one of the Marvel TV series. That said, the only reason why I picked him up was to complete the Allfather BAF and he was $10 at Winners, so I could be part of the problem.

Overall he’s actually pretty nice and comes with extending arms (which I guess is his thing), good articulation with a mid sized body type and a nice metallic purple finish.

Pros: Nice sculpt, character specific accessories and nice that a little know figure is given a figure.

Cons: Purchase required to finish the BAF figure.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #185
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

078-2
Disney Infinity 3.0: The Vision

Another amazing sculpt from the Disney Infinity line. In a world of repaints It’s extremely odd that Hasbro has not released a MCU accurate Vision, but with New Infinity War movies perhaps there is some hope yet.

Pros: Great sculpt with particular care give to his flowing cape; really looks fantastic.

Cons: Part of a cancelled video game.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #186
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Another out of order review. This inconsistency is going to drive me nuts.

Anyways:

063-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: The Incredible Hulk.

It’s funny to me that my collection, likely consisting of over 500 separate figures, does not contain one Hulk figure (well, if you don’t count Disney Infinity); heck, I even had a Hulkbuster before I had a Hulk (now that is planning ahead!). I don’t have anything against the character; I suppose it just was never a priority for me. I even remember passing on the old Toy Biz Hulk Classics line from 2003 as Marvel figures were not on my radar back then. Even this particular Hulk figure was a bit of a fluke as I only got him as part of the Thanos BAF wave from Winners for $10. Which leads to a bit of a funny story:

A few years back Winners carried a selection of the older BAF figures that had been out of brick and mortar stores for a while and I felt that it was a great opportunity to boost my Marvel Legend ranks a bit. As you may know, Winners is not always the most reliable in getting all members of the waves and is sometimes sporadic in their shipments, but I was committed to checking on a daily basis to complete the set. One morning I read on the sighting thread that Hulk had been sighted at a Winners and I thought I would head to the local one to see if I would get lucky. Those familiar with the layout know that these figures can be found in the either the toy section or in the shelves by the cashiers and that morning I hit the toy section first was delighted when I found him there. Unbeknownst to me there was another collector (and a member here) who had the same idea as me that morning, but opted to hit up the racks by the cashiers instead and found nothing. Thankfully he was super cool about his loss and I was able to make it up to him by finding another one a few days later; funny how somethings work out.

Pros: Nice sized figure for a regular release, Good sculpt and a good amount of articulation.

Cons: Would have liked open hands in addition to the fists.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #187
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

It's been a while, but should be back with the daily review schedule.

079-2
Hasbro- G.I.Joe: Jungle Viper.

Oh man, I love me some Vipers and this fellow here is a perfect reason why: He comes with so much cool stuff! Just look at him, Awesome adjustable camouflage, a super cool long range rifle, night vision scope and two and guns that fit in holsters? Seriously how is it that we get next to nothing on some Marvel Legends when a glorified troop building gets such a cool amount of stuff? I feel like this might be a bit of a running question as I open these older Joe figures.

Pros: Unique figure with an amazing amount of cool accessories that really amp up the play value on a figure this size.

Cons: Minor nitpick that the sniper rifle is a bit exaggerated and unwieldy and there is no instructions to show how the camo is to be set up.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:53 AM   #188
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

080-2
Bandai- Thundercats: Lion-O

So long funny story about my history with The Thundercats. I was never a big fan of the cartoon and the toys from the 80’s, as it just seemed like He-Man with Cats. Perhaps I was short signed and I missed out on something really good, but it wasn’t until the new series, that developed into something much better IMO, that it came on to my radar. So, when I was younger, I would always ask for G.I. Joe figures and vehicles for Christmas from my extended family. For the most part, It was a fairly simple or small request and they could go to any random toy department and pick up something on my provided list; not spoiled, but certainly was very lucky.

Anyways, one year I hand wrote a list that was compiled of a number of different Joe Vehicles that I spied from that years Sears wish book and on Christmas morning I was very surprised when I opened a toy from my Aunt that I didn’t recognize and certainly did not ask for: LJN ThunderCats: Thunder Wings. It really didn’t make sense and I’m sure my Aunt noticed my confusion and asked if that was not what I asked for. When I said no, she was somewhat annoyed and pulled out my list and pointed to the entry for something call the THUNDER CLAP. Apparently she misread my writing and read it as a ThunderCat. After hearing her plight, driving all over the city to find a Thundercat (this was probably Xmas of 1990 and Thundercats was done around 1987) and finally lucking out on a peg warmer at a dilapidated Wolco store (think a crappy Zellers)I thought it best to say thanks and make the best of it.

Fast forward a few months when I was invited to a school friends Birthday party where my dad introduced me to the benefits of regifting. Now if you thought I was disappointed in getting a gift that I sort of asked for, you better believe that my friend was borderline pissed. Lucky I was able to deflect saying that it was some random thing that my parents picked up for him, but I certainly never forgot the shame I felt.

Quick epilogue… after that Christmas our family had a bit of a falling out and never really spoke to that Aunt, and she passed away a few years later. Also the friend that I regifted the Thunder Wing died in an apartment fire that he accidentally caused by falling asleep while smoking in bed after High School. Also, the Thunder Wing is listed on EBay for $500… perhaps I should have been more thankful.

Anyways, I like Lion-O and if I opened him 5 years ago I would have put him among one of my favourite figures. Nice looking figure with a great amount of articulation and good accessories. However, given what the norm is nowadays, I can see some small issues including some bulky joints, gummy accessories and black screw holes everywhere. Overall, it's still a win in my books and it probably was priced around 15--20 bucks so it's not exactly a fair comparison with the current crop of 6” figures.

Pros: Fantastic character with a great sculpt, really good articulation and nice accessories.

Cons: So many black peg holes that ruin the aesthetics.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #189
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

081-2
Disney Store- Toy Box: Pixar: Buzz Lightyear.

My second Toy Box figure and while it doesn’t have same issues as the first, it’s still not what I had hoped for when I wanted an articulated Disney Infinity Figure. I’m probably asking too much in a $15 toy meant for kids, but what can I say? I had high expectations. For example, I love the ball joints, but because his torso is so big it prevents many posing options. However, that is the catch 22 with these figures: I like the Infinity style sculpting; but impacts the range of motion. Way back in volume 1, #18 I reviewed Thinkway Toys Pixar Mr. Incredible and I think they were able to achieve basically what I had hoped for on these figures. Yes, they were 6”, double the price, not based on Infinity style and a colossal failure, but I thought it was a good good figure with the right amount of articulation and possibility. That said, do not let my unrealistic expectations deter you from picking these up and don’t get me wrong; they are fun figures.

Pros: Nice sculpt, good amount of articulation for price point and can pose with his head and neck back to simulate flying.

Cons: Design limits action poses, I would have liked him with his clear face shield.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #190
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

082-2
Mega Bloks- Kubros: Hellboy.

I have loved Mike Mignola’s Hellboy since I first saw his first solo Dark Horse series “Hellboy: Seed of Destruction” in 1994. Since then the character really blew up with two features (that I didn’t really like) with another in production, which is pretty amazing considering his somewhat controversial backstory. One of my favorite figures in my collection is the Big Blast 6” (or so) figure released by Graffiti Designs and while he has not survived so well (broken ankles) he is still amazing given how long ago he was released.

With that in mind, when I saw this Kubros Hellboy figure at my local dollar store, it was a bit of a no-brainer, even though I didn’t want to pick up anymore of these figures.

Pros: It’s a building block Hellboy with weapon and was only $4!

Cons: Not a thing.