ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-26-2023, 02:08 PM   #1
usernameprime
Cobra Commander
When is a collection finished?

Collecting can often become equal parts fun and frustrating.

Do you have a collecting that you decided you were done with and sold off? If so why?

Do you have a collection that is retired and now you simply display it without buying any more?

Are you currently collecting something and see an actual end to it once they release what it is you deem to be the final pieces?

For good or bad, tell me your collection stories about that which you gave up on, stopped collecting, or want to stop collecting for.
usernameprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 03:36 PM   #2
Canukle
Clonetrooper
Re: When is a collection finished?

I never completely liquidated an entire collection - usually, I just thin them out a little.

I used to collect Marvel Universe figures, but recently started to get rid of some. I'm keeping a few favourites for now, but might also let those go.

With Star Wars Black Series, I am limiting myself to only collecting the Hoth-Geared versions of the Original Trilogy cast. I have a few left to track down, then I'm pretty much done with that display. (I don't consider any favourites from the newer Disney+ series part of that "main" collection - they would be something separate)

Hard to say when I'll be done collection GI Joe Classified - I'm not a completionist so it's easy to pass on some releases. But there are always new ones coming.

Collections stop being fun for me when I see people gouging or snatching things up just to re-sell at higher prices. I'd love to fill in gaps in my collections, but there are too many people snatching up local lots only to re-sell on Facebook Claim Sales for eBay prices.
Canukle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 04:56 PM   #3
BlackBeltJohnson
Galactian Herald

It's happened to me a few times in the last 30 years. I see my collecting now as a thing that's always evolving; it expands, it adapts, it contracts (or often vanishes in a mass extinction-event sell-off only to be reborn again in a new form some time after, lol).

It basically reinvents itself along with me as I get older and my tastes change.

Usually, the main catalysts for my losing interest in a line have come when a better shinier version of it comes along. I've also found that as I get older, love of nostalgia speaks even louder and louder within, so I've tended more towards things that either remind me of when i was a kid, OR classic looking things I would have gone bonkers for as a kid, and sold off things with no connection to that (i.e. I now only collect Marvel characters from how they looked in 60s, 70s and 80s, and on some occasions, the early 90s)

Right now, Star Wars collecting has been on the chopping block. For me, it's a failed mythology and no longer inspires me. Actually, I find that I can't even look at any of it without being disappointed, because a lot of the toys just aren't that good and too cheaply made with reuse.
G.I. joe Classified is hitting my sweet spot, so I've basically been selling off all my Star Wars toys to fund that re-found love.

In terms of seeing an ending, I collect G1 inspired Transformers Legacy(Siege, Earthrise/ Kingdom/ SS86) figures; as soon as they're done making all G1 characters, I'll be done with that line. Until or unless something even better and more nostalgicy comes along.

With Joes...It's more or less the same, but they're really fun to customize and I'm content to see where they go with it, with no definitive end-game in mind. I've often found that unless one tires of toy-collecting outright, there's never truly an ending, only new beginnings.

Last edited by BlackBeltJohnson; 10-26-2023 at 05:09 PM.
BlackBeltJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:22 PM   #4
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

It is never done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly as others have said it just evolves and kind of "rotates" through my interests. What my collection was 20 years ago, versus 10 years ago, versus today is vastly different.

Yes I have stuff that I have had for 20+years, but the larger part of my collection tends to lean more towards recent product because of the many re-releases/updates over the years. I usually update my collection pieces when a newer, possibly better, version of a character/figure is released.

So yeah it will probably never be done, just "on hiatus" until a future time.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:30 PM   #5
usernameprime
Cobra Commander

I've had more collections than I wish to admit in the past but Ive always sold them all off when I was done. The first spawn figures released ever. LotR movie toys when the movie released. Too many toybiz figures to count. 3.3/4 SW during the 2008-2010 era. And more in between. These days I have a handful of IPs that I collect... kinda.

Transformers - Picked up around 2018 with PotP trilogy. I bought so many and got rid of many as well. As is I intend to get a new Octane and dinobot Swoop when released. After that I don't see myself ever buying/replacing more for this collection. I'm maybe a dozen characters away from having the full sunbow roster. I got bored, constant updated characters was annoying af, and the price is getting insane. Also been thinking of selling my autobot collection as I really do prefer the villains, dinobots being the exception.

Star Wars Black - I reached about 120 figures and then the whole IP soured on me. I simply can't stand the Disney treatment. Love it or leave it, I choose to leave it. Kept about a dozen figures and they are all empire villains (OT and KOTOR) as that's what I liked best.

Marvel Legends - After selling all those SW black figures I took a big chunk of it and bought up all the symbiote figures I can and that got me a symbiote collection. Took 2 months to buy everything I wanted used/below retail, except 2 figures. For the most part I am calling this collection done. I may by more in the future but no multipacks that force me to buy things I don't want or annoying to get exclusives. I also ordered a Wolverine 97, love Wolverine and this one captures the version I like best. I can see myself getting a Punisher if one releases that I like and is easy to get.

Diamond Select - I dipped my toe in this pool and got Hulk, Red Hulk and Juggernaut. The retail price vs what you got is amazing but I don't see myself getting anything else.

McFarlane DC - I started to collect some and instantly regretted it so I stopped. It wasn't a total waste though. I am keeping the Shazam, Superman, Arkham Batman as I love these characters and even have 89 Batman Amazon exclusive arriving soon. I am without a doubt done on this line.

He-Man Masterverse - I got a scareglow, skeletor, battlecat. If a panthor gets released then I will get that. Don't need or want anymore. I was selective from the start because I knew this wouldn't appeal on a large scale.

GI Joe Classified - I was all in for a while but taking a step back I realized I only really care about the Cobra characters with just a few Joes being decent stand outs to me. I sold off all my Joes except Snake Eyes and decided to only focus on Sunbow era toy/toon characters that I know. Also trying to avoid any vehicles, hoping to get a Televiper release in the future without the trouble bubble, $130 CAD from Hasbro is way too much. Exclusives also turn me off from this line. I see myself army building Grenadiers and Cobra-La soldiers a bit but beyond that I am about 20 or so characters away from being done with this line. Prolly take a few years away from all my wants being released.

I think my gripe with collecting is seeing the constant rotation of figures with updates while prices keep rising and rising while ease of availability lowers and lowers. I'll also never support a HasLab project as I find the whole process of funding the release first to be absurd in addition to the monstrous price tags involved. I love collecting but I also love being content in a collection being done and not looking for places to throw my $ at to get more plastic.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:51 PM   #6
Robimus
Super Moderator

I've done some similar things. Sold off my LotR collection years ago. Have sold off 90% of my 3 3/4 inch modern Star Wars collection. Sold off Spawn.

Transformers: Very slowly, I collect G1 and Masterpiece now. Plus anything Jazz. I share the frustration of the constant redos of the same characters in modern lines, so I sold them off to focus on what I really enjoy.

Star Wars: Most of my collecting is now focused on the odd EU figure that gets produced. Maybe 2-3 Black Series a year, that is it. Plus my wife's Grogu collection.

Disney soured me as a hard core fan as well, but I admit I've enjoyed Din & Grogu's story when it isn't getting bogged down by Filoni'isms.

GI Joe: I was huge into Joes as a kid, but sold them all off in the 90s. Told myself I'd never get back into them.

Classified, plus Covid kinda changed that. I re-aquired some vintage figures once I got into Classified. I only want about half the Classified figures produced, so there is a casual approach to it for me.

Dungeons & Dragons: Another recent nostalgia kick for me. Had lots of the toys as a kid. Sold them all off, but am excited to see those characters getting the Neca treatment now.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:57 PM   #7
wesperino
Mutant

I was collecting the motwweu stuff but some never made it north of the border and then the line died.

I had almost all the MOTU mega line and just sold it all!

I also had most of the MOTU origins figures and sold those off.

I loved the idea of MOTU but once the GI Joe Classified line launched it’s my place of joy.

I have thinned out my transformers and am trying to avoid fomo for any non G1 season 1 and 86 movie. Just sold kingdom ultra mags as I got the 86 one and like it better.

I unloaded my black series figures as I really only want the Sith Lords and Luke, Yoda, some gamerverse.

I sold all the season 1 bad batch and just picked up the season 2 ones which I will eventually sell off once the joy runs out.

So basically Transformer and Classified.

Went cooky with Legends during Covid and I tamed that fire as well.

If anyone is looking for fantastic four retro stuff PM me and let’s work out a sale.
wesperino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:38 PM   #8
usernameprime
Cobra Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesperino View Post
I was collecting the motwweu stuff but some never made it north of the border and then the line died.

I had almost all the MOTU mega line and just sold it all!

I also had most of the MOTU origins figures and sold those off.

I loved the idea of MOTU but once the GI Joe Classified line launched it?s my place of joy.

I have thinned out my transformers and am trying to avoid fomo for any non G1 season 1 and 86 movie. Just sold kingdom ultra mags as I got the 86 one and like it better.

I unloaded my black series figures as I really only want the Sith Lords and Luke, Yoda, some gamerverse.

I sold all the season 1 bad batch and just picked up the season 2 ones which I will eventually sell off once the joy runs out.

So basically Transformer and Classified.

Went cooky with Legends during Covid and I tamed that fire as well.

If anyone is looking for fantastic four retro stuff PM me and let?s work out a sale.
I remember you selling the motu stuff, think you were offering $300 for it.

Love what im reading from everyone so far, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:50 AM   #9
Robbler
Super Friend

I mainly collect Black Series, Transformers and Marvel Legends. Trying to purge a lot of it and stick to specific figs.

Of the three, I've stopped buying Black Series outright. It's probably the worst line right now, there's never anything that interests me in it now.

Transformers is slowly getting there for me as well, lot of oversaturation and little interest. Only into the Gamerverse and G1/SS86 stuff now.

My Marvel Legends collection is the only one I'm really seeking to add to. It started from characters that I really loved to only collecting the Spider-Man retro stuff. The Pulse Con Venom is the holy grail I'm after, but the prices keep going up and up and I may have to just let that dream die. I think if I ever got that one I would stop collecting and I'd be satisfied with my collection.
Robbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 02:07 PM   #10
usernameprime
Cobra Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbler View Post
The Pulse Con Venom is the holy grail I'm after, but the prices keep going up and up and I may have to just let that dream die. I think if I ever got that one I would stop collecting and I'd be satisfied with my collection.
this pulsecon venom? cause the pricing im seeing isn't terrible.

are they KOs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-11-16 130622.jpg (81.1 KB, 5 views)