ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-22-2022, 02:28 PM   #1371
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:51 PM   #1372
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

835-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: GwenPool

Million dollar idea for Disney Plus. An animated series of shorts where GwenPool bounds around to different marvel universes meeting well known and lesser known marvel heroes and villains effectively introducing them to a wider audience. It can be from the MCU, the comics, the cartoons, the FOX movies and on and on and on. Why Gwen Pool? Well as far as I understand she?s actually a fangirl from our universe that was transported to the comic universe whose superpower is just knowing she?s in a comic. Hell, part of her shtick is spending time on her phone, so it would be easy to do each EP like a series of Tikitok or Instagram shorts as she interacts with each character. I really think this could work if they mirror the same sensibility as the Harley Quinn cartoon, violence and all.

Pros: GwenPool seems like Marvel's answer to Harley Quinn that never really took off which is kind of too bad as I think she?s very unique. That said, Hasbro went all out (for Hasbro) on this release and I am extremely impressed. Fantastic sculpt with a lot of unique parts, a solid amount of articulation for some nice poses and an impressive amount of accessories including 2 swords with storage backpack, 2 heads, a few sets of hands including a peace sign and hands to make the heart sign, and even a cell phone. And as if that was not enough, they added a little pouch for her cell phone on her belt? When Hasbro wants to do something well, they really do it well.

Cons: More of an issue with all female characters, GwenPool should really have double jointed elbows: it's 2022 for goodness sake.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:32 PM   #1373
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

836-2
Hasbro- Overwatch Ultimates: Junkrat

There is no reason that this line of Overwatch Ultimates figures should have been this well produced. I mean, I suppose the game continues to be very popular, but I often wonder if gamers are really toy collectors. I suppose there have been a few great Fortnite lines and Nintendo even has a line of Mario based action figures, but how close together is the venn diagram really? I guess that is why every company seems to bring their A game when it comes to these video game toys to ensure toy collectors who may not play the games are interested.

Pros: Full disclosure I picked up Junkrat and a line mate from a local Save-On-Food grocery store that has a ridiculously small toy section for $5 each. I never saw these in store and would have probably passed on them if I had to pay full price. That said, I’m so happy that I didn’t because he is incredible. Amazingly detailed sculpt with the overwatch aesthetic, great articulation and such fun and detailed accessories.

Cons: Two minor things: I understand that he uses the backpack as a melee weapon in the game and I wish they made that work for this figure and while the landmine foot is cool, a broader range of movement via a ball joint would have made it easier to pose.

Old 09-27-2022, 03:54 PM   #1374
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

837-2
Toybiz- Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Lothlorien Celeborn.

Thanks to a seller on Kijiji I was able to fill some holes in my LOTR collection which is what the next number of reviews will be based on. Unfortunately for me they are all loose, but in decent condition (for the most part, more on that later). As it stands, I believe that I have a Toybiz LOTR collection that is 95% complete with only a few outliers which I’m pretty happy with all things considered and looking back, it’s funny how it all came together. Who knew after finding a number of choice LOTRs figures at my local and favorite comic shops for a ridiculously cheap price that I would be spending the following 8 months hunting the rest down. Would it have been easier to have just picked these all up 20 years ago when they were plentiful and price at a fraction of what toys cost now? Yep. But there is still a good chance that some of these figures would have been really difficult to track down back then too. In any case I hope you are into LOTRs as much as I am again, because there are a lot of figures coming down the pike for OUR enjoyment.

Pros: I assume that this is just a re-deco of a forthcoming Elron figure with a different paint scheme and head sculpt, but who am I to judge: they are elves; how different could they really be? In any case, there is very little action in this action figure, but I suppose I can let it go considering that I doubt he is expecting much action in this garb. That said, I have to hand it to Toybiz for keeping the “static action figure” market alive as this figure reminds me of the various “cloaked” Star Wars toys from the 90 and on. I mean, is anyone really buying a Chancellor Valorum figure from the Phantom Menace line with the intention of doing anything BUT putting on display?

Cons: What you see is really what you get from Celeborn, however he’s probably not one of the best Toybix has to offer given the limited mobility and a cape that keeps falling off.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:37 AM   #1375
Robimus
Super Moderator

The Lord of the Rings Toybiz line was great.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:06 AM   #1376
dusty
Red Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
835-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: GwenPool

Million dollar idea for Disney Plus. An animated series of shorts where GwenPool bounds around to different marvel universes meeting well known and lesser known marvel heroes and villains effectively introducing them to a wider audience. It can be from the MCU, the comics, the cartoons, the FOX movies and on and on and on. Why Gwen Pool? Well as far as I understand she?s actually a fangirl from our universe that was transported to the comic universe whose superpower is just knowing she?s in a comic. Hell, part of her shtick is spending time on her phone, so it would be easy to do each EP like a series of Tikitok or Instagram shorts as she interacts with each character. I really think this could work if they mirror the same sensibility as the Harley Quinn cartoon, violence and all.
Loved the review for the Gwen Pool. Though I don't know the character at all I would watch the s**t out of your show pitch. That sounded like a lot of fun.
As always loving the reviews and seeing figures I knew nothing about
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #1377
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

838-2
Toybiz- Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: Gorbag w/ webbed Frodo

Now this is what I?m talking about. Perhaps a contender for top ten LOTR figures, Gorbag is a pretty amazing figure and based on a character that most people would remember from the Return of the King movie. I?m not going to recite the entire scene, but it?s a pivotal part in Sam and Frodo?s journey and even left an impact on me when I read the books all those years ago. I also like this figure because at this point in the run Toybiz stopped focusing on gimmicks and just produced highly detailed, fully articulated figures of these super obscure characters. More of this please.

Pros: Gorbag is an amazing figure and I understand why the after market prices are so high: Amazingly detailed sculpt, full articulation, with some tilt in the ankles, two weapons (one with storage) and a webbed Frodo accessory.

Cons: I got nothing: this figure is amazing for today, let alone 20 years ago.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:50 PM   #1378
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
The Lord of the Rings Toybiz line was great.
I legit love it. Don?t get me wrong, the new stuff is great, but Toybiz gave similar quality that was half the price. I have WAY more stuff coming down the pike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Loved the review for the Gwen Pool. Though I don't know the character at all I would watch the s**t out of your show pitch. That sounded like a lot of fun.
As always loving the reviews and seeing figures I knew nothing about
Thanks Dusty! If only I had a direct line to Kevin Feige. Sincerely glad that you enjoy the ramblings and reviews too.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:09 PM   #1379
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-16
Beast Kingdom- 8ction: Darkwing Duck

LET'S GET DANGEROUS

I mean, what else is there to say? When I first saw the reveal of the Beast Kingdom Darkwing figure I was totally blown away and extremely interested in picking one up. And while I am being way more selective of the figures I purchase, I’ll still pick up quality figures if it peaks my interest, and anything Darkwing peaks my interest. Problem is, I totally forgot about it. See, it's become common practice for toy companies to drop early production pictures to drum up interest and pre-orders and I’m no longer down to play the game of dropping $100 in hope of getting a figure more than 12 months later. I’ll have some more details about that with my recent saga with Super7, but in the meantime I will say that it was a pleasant surprise when I saw Darkwing up for order at one of my favorite independent toy shops in Calgary: tftoys.ca and I figured why not: treat yo self.

Now I’m new to Beast Kingdom and didn’t really know what to expect so it was imperative that I crack him open as soon as I could and I was really happy that I did as this figure totally rocks.

Pros: I’ll stop short of saying everything, but nearly everything about this Darkwing Duck figure is great. Solid overall sculpt that captures the feel of the character exceptionally well, expressive face accessories with an ingenious design to easily swap out 3 sets of eyes and 2 mouths, a solid amount of articulation that allows for some decent poses and a bunch of accessories including hands, grapple and gas gun. Lastly, a ton of credit has to be given to the soft goods jacket and cape. The jacket has magnet buttons to easily remove if you wanted to, and the cape is wired to allow for better poses. If you are a fan of the character, Disney or toys and you have the means, I highly recommend it.

Cons: I might be stupid but I don’t understand how the stand is supposed to work. It’s a standard base with a peg and clamp, but I can’t fit the clamp anywhere but around the neck. Also because he has a big old duck booty, the figure has to be posed at a bit of an angle. Lastly, if you do pick Darkwing up, heat up the hands with hot water to make it easier to switch them.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:09 PM   #1380
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys