ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 03-21-2016, 10:13 PM   #101
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here

Kaiyodo Sci-fi Revoltech 017- Jack Skellington.

Whether you feel that it's a Halloween movie or a Christmas movie, you must agree that Jack Skellington and his Nightmare Before Christmas movie provide a equally scary and festive adventure. Being the Disney fan that I am, I have grown to appreciate the character and always look forward to the "Nightmare Before Christmas" annual overlay at Disneyland's Haunted Mansion. Unfortunately for us, a trip to Anaheim was not in the cards this year, so this little figure will have to emulate the experience as best as it can.

First impressions of this figure are very good thanks to the great packaging the Revoltech figures are know for. I was also surprised with the bevy accessories that he comes with: multiple expressive heads, hands and various other Christmas gear that really completes the look. The figure and limbs look super breakable, but is surprisingly solid and feel much less fragile then the recent DC collectible figures that I have picked up. His little ghost dog Zero is also included as has fully articulated ears head and mouth: a very cool little addition.

The included stand/base is nicely detailed and provides separate stands for Jack, Zero and Jack's toy sack. The only drawback is the plastic stand that props up Jack is fairly thin and looks like it could easily snap in half, but so far so good on mine.

My other little nitpick is that the hat/beard combo doesn't really stay on his head very well; seems like his skull is too wide for the beard. Certainly with enough pressure it will stay in place, but quickly falls off pop off when the beard is adjusted.

Overall this is a really great figure for fans of the movie or for the holiday season in general. It is really quite remarkable how the sculpt is able to capture the very unique look and feel of the character, but also be robust enough to support the super thin appendages; a feat that some other recent companies can not seam to figure out.

Pros: Dead on sculpt, excellent accessories, nice display base

Cons: A more useful stand, allowing for more dynamic poses would have been nice.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #102
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Marvel Legends - Infinite Series: Spider-Woman

Spider Women is a bit of mystery to me, not only do I know very little about the character and back story, I'm also not sure why she isn't more popular. I suppose early on she was treated as the typical female counterpart to a much more popular Spider-Man, but given that female character have really come around lately (as recently as Spider Gwen) I'm guessing that Spider Woman's stock has overall increased a few basis points.

There is a bit of a question as to her abilities given that she doesn't share the same powers granted from a run-of-the-mill radioactive spider, but her backstory is much deeper. I'd love to see her included in the Marvel Movie universe, but I'm not sure what the legal limitations are for other spider characters in movie roles.

The figure is decent I suppose, but seems proportionally large for the character. I'm assuming that the body mold was used for Marvel's other super heroines of size and maybe she stacks up, but in the comic I don't recall her being as large as She Hulk. The articulation is good, but suffers from the same issue as Spider-Man 2099: the hips limit 'spider poses'. She comes with some Web Wing attachments can be inter-changed to achieve a winged look which is a nice touch.

Overall she fits in well with my Spider Collection and I am happy that I was able to find her, but I just wish she was perhaps a touch smaller with more accessible articulation.

Pros: Female character with the classic costume.

Cons: proportional size, some articulation issues.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:01 AM   #103
Tonestar
Rookie Supreme

I have this Spider-Woman figure too and I like her a lot. If you wanna know more about her, YouTube has her cartoon series which ran from 1979-1980. It's cheesy but gives you a decent idea about this version Spider-Woman.
Tonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:56 AM   #104
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonestar View Post
I have this Spider-Woman figure too and I like her a lot. If you wanna know more about her, YouTube has her cartoon series which ran from 1979-1980. It's cheesy but gives you a decent idea about this version Spider-Woman.

I actually checked out the first episode; very cool and pretty modern from a feminist standpoint, especially for a show from back in the day. I did have a chuckle at them flying a helecopter to Egypt and the sound of Spider-Man's webing.

Perhaps a re-boot is in orde though. Marvel cartoons could use a boast.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:57 AM   #105
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Hasbro: Transformers Age of Extinction- Optimus Prime

Optimus here is a touchpoint for me, not only does he represent my last Age Of Extinction Transformer to open, he also could possibly be my last Transformer "Movie" figure ever. Somewhat bittersweet given that the previous movie figures have been both amazing and dismal with Hasbro's current 'Mainline' offerings leaning more to the dismal side. Understanding that Transformers 5 is in production and a slough of movies will follow, I just don't think I can take another Bay-verse Movie Prime. Granted, this one has a very nice G1 looking vehicle, the fact remains that there are only so many ways that you can make a robot out of a truck while still making it a decent toy; to which this this iteration could certainly be considered. Yes, there are some downsides, but in my opinion this Optimus could be one of the best figures of the entire run, granted this is not a huge feat considering the relative small character line up of AOE.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it with Hound, but I really appreciate the Voyager size class for the AEO line. It provides a good amount of detail and complexity without being bogged down by size, silly electronics and other gimmicks. I also feel that the complexity of the transformation is right on point for me as I'm probably the worst 'transformer-er' ever. Unfortunately there are some issues with the figure, but could be considered nitpick-y. Firstly, the gun is terrible; not sure who thought it was a good idea to mold a weapon with the peg handle under the actual gun handle, but it looks silly and way out of place. I'm also not keen on the spring loaded missile gimmick, but mostly because I keep shooting myself in my face by accident. Secondly, the arms. I'm not sure if this is a common complaint and certainly not a deal breaker, but the arm at the elbow joint is simply awkward. Thirdly, and this could just be mine, but the shoulder doesn't really fit flush; thankful the chest holds it in place, but it's not as good as it could be.

Overall Optimus is a great figure with an incredible blend of G1 goodness and movie-verse ascetic which is fitting as it somewhat closes the circle between the original source material and what the Transformers brand has become. I'm not sure if this is the end of the road for me collecting Movie figures, but it certainly isn't a bad way to go out.

Pros: G1 vehicle mode with Movie-verse robot mode, excellent transformation, decent articulation.

Cons: oversized weapon, awkward elbow joints.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:11 AM   #106
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Hasbro- The Black Series: Storm Trooper

I had a whole big review about how I appreciated this Storm Trooper's amount of articulation, but I'm honestly over this size class. This is a bit sad considering that a good portion of my collection is 3 3/4 inch, but it seems as though Hasbro has done little to impress with the current offerings. Sure the 3 3/4 inch Black Series are decent, but most of the new releases are not as collector friendly what with articulation that was reasonable on toys from the 80's, but down right laughable considering what was the norm.

Overall it is a nice figure with a decent range of motion. It's nice that they include both typical trooper weapons, but the blaster has an odd extendable hilt extension; not sure this was standard on those blasters, but odd if I never noticed. I also don't really understand how the holster works, but it's nice to include it for the over all look.

Pros: Movement and POA, two weapons.

Cons: Just another Storm Trooper same size class.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #107
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Hasbro- The Black Series: Scout Trooper

I have always liked the look of the Scout Troopers and it is nice to have a nicely articulated version. My only wish would be for a Speeder Bike for him to jump on.

Pros: Overall nice look and good range of movement. Holster for blaster

Cons: Slight discolouration of the plastic.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #108
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Biggs

One more Black Series to include in this round. I assume this is a basic re-tool of the X-Wing fighter pilot with a new head. I do like how the helmet fits, but the non-ball jointed hips are unacceptable for a collectible figure such as this.

Pros: Decent sculpting the the rebel pilot suit and helmet.

Cons: limited POA.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #109
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

DC Collectibles- The New Batman Adventures: Two Face

My initial excitement of the Batman Animated Series line has slowed somewhat given the wide spread QC issues that have plagued early waves. For that reason I was extremely concerned about opening the first wave as they have been the worse offenders. However that said, I'm no MISB collector and it was time to start opening these figures... carefully.

Thankfully Two Face seams to be clean of any issues and looks great. I can't honestly place him in any particular "The New Batman Adventures" episode, so I can't recall his overall design, but I don't think it is much different than the BTAS look. Accessory wise Two Face is completely decked out. I also appreciate the extra hand accessory with the moulded coin in the palm, a very cool touch for sure.

Overall I am happy with how Two Face turned out. I'm still not really sure why DC had decided to release 3 of 4 characters in wave 1 from TNAS and I suppose time will tell if we get a different Two Face from BTAS, but I really do like how this one turned out. While mine didn't break, I do wish that it felt a bit less fragile.

Pros: Nice looking sculpt, Multiple POA, Excellent accessories.

Cons: Fragile.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:05 AM   #110
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

70 & 71
Disney Infinity 3.0- Star Wars: Han Solo & Darth Maul

Back at it with some Disney Infinity! Due to the ridiculous price hike ($17, really?) I have limited myself to only buying them on sale. Thankfully around Boxing week they dropped to. Much more manageable $10 and I stocked up. These figures have surprisingly much in common: they are both fan favourites and they were both killed off rather unceremoniously. Fortunately both are also extremely well crafted with excellent sculpting that make these infinity figure so desirable. One small issue. that you can see from the pictures, is that Darth Maul's lightsaber is not completely straight, but it's understandable given the plastic.

Pros: Awesome sculpt and representation, the base hides the "tech"

Cons: Expensive!