ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 07-28-2022, 11:46 AM   #1341
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Oh, baby!!!!!

They need a scale T Rex for that line

Haslab it!
There are some pretty big Dinos in that line and I wonder if there is a T-Rex that scales? I could see Matty Collector going for it fo sure.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:39 PM   #1342
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-12
Hasbro- Power Rangers Lightning Collection: King Sphinx

If you have followed my reviews over the years you know that I'm a fan of a lot of different pop culture genres, but also a fan of cool toys and good deals hence the Winners (or rather Marshals) impulse purchase of yet another Power Ranger figure. And while I don't necessarily dislike the Power Rangers series, it was never on my radar as a young adult growing up; that said I was extremely impressed with the White Ranger figure that was also an impulse purchase so a pick up like this only made sense, especially for $20.

Pros: I'm a big fan of big toys and as a ?deluxe? sized Power Rangers toy, King Sphinx checks that box. Large and imposing with a nice sculpt and a good amount of articulation really do it for me and continue to impress in the Power Ranters line that I have no emotional attachment to in the slightest. I also like figures with wings and KS has an impressive wingspan and the staff/energy effect looks great too. If you like cool toys and are in the area of a Winners/Marshals, I highly recommend picking him up.

Cons: Sadly he's not perfect and suffers from some limited arm mobility from some of his shoulder armor. A pain in the ass to be sure, but if I'm being honest probably accurate to the character as he appeared on the show.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:00 PM   #1343
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

820-2
DC Collectables: Batman the Animated Series: Harvey Bullock

Continuing my review on the newest Batman film with “The Good”. Part 1 can be found on my S-11 Review on the McFarlane Batman figure:

The Good: Batman is different things to different people. Some like him dark and super serious, fighting crime in the real world and some like him to be the opposite like in the old 66 and Batman: Brave and the Bold series. Personally I like a bit of both and I think The Batman did a good job of that. Sure there were scenes with crazy dark alleyway beatdowns, but it was in a world in which comic book characters, outside of Batman, could exist.

I also appreciated the casting and feel that everyone played their part well. Robert Pattinson defied the early criticisms and proved the usual bat skeptics wrong, Zoe Kravitz did Cat-Woman justice (despite that silly mask they gave her), and Colin Farrel was literally unrecognizable as the Penguin. The rest of the cast is also very strong including Jeffery Wright as a stoic and believable Lt Gordon, John Turturro as gangster Falcone and of course, one of my favorite jack-of-all-trades Andy Serkis continues to impress as Bruce's (way more understanding than I'd be) Butler and guardian. Lastly the “big-bad” Riddler was played by Paul Dano and while I don't hate the casting or how he was played, I just felt the characterization was a bit too creepy for being the Riddler; I mean, he's eccentric, but not necessary super outwardly unbalanced.

Hot take I know, but comic book movies, especially Batman themed ones, should have a good amount of action and The Batman did not disappoint with some really decent action sequences throughout. The initial scene where Batman destroys the street gang to save the train passenger set up the tone of the movie perfectly.

Oh, and on the idea of tone, the score and music were perfect and I'm not just saying that because I love Nirvana.

Pros: I love almost everything about this figure and seeing how he is about as average of a specimen as they come, I’m starting to think a line of normal guys and girls may outsell a series of super powered muscle men at this point. Seriously: great sculpt that captures the look perfectly and fantastic accessories that are becoming a rarity at this point.

Cons: MINOR nitpick: No ankle tilts make me a sad collector.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:25 PM   #1344
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

821-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Loki

I thought I would use this Loki review to recommend the podcast NEWCOMERS to both you/your respective partners/family/friends if they are less than enthused about the geeky things that you enjoy in your life. The basic premise is that Comedians and actors Lauren Lapkus (The Wrong Missy, Jurassic World) and Nichole Byer (Nailed it, Grand Crew) are introduced to entire franchises that they have never seen before and provide their impressions and thoughts. They started with Star Wars then did Lord Of the Rings, Tyler Perry movies and now are knee deep into the MCU. And while I wouldn?t call it enjoyable (it?s actually super frustrating), it is interesting or rather eye opening on how some people view the things that I love. I know it sounds crazy, but some people did not get lost in Peter Jackson's Middle Earth Saga, or were down right annoyed at the pacing of The Empire Strikes Back, or even not absolutely charmed by Robert Downey Jr in the 1st Iron Man. Thankfully they are joined each week by a legitimate fan, or creator of the thing they are watching that can answer questions or set them straight, but this can come off a bit comic book guy-ish, so I?m glad it?s them and not me as trying to explain why certain movies are amazing to people who openly enjoy 90 Day Fianc?e is probably a losing battle. Anyway, it?s not something to take too seriously and might be fun for you to listen to.

Pros: Basically the same Loki figures that were released with Corvus Glaive except he had the Tesseract and this one has his helmet. I suppose I can?t get too upset for the basic repack as this one was for the Thor Ragnar?k movie and the two pack was for Infinity Wars, but it kind of feels like a cheat. Anyways, the sculpt is nice and I actually appreciate how well the helmet actually fits.

Cons: I get that Loki comes with a huge BAF piece, but having no accessories at all is a real drag on Hasbro?s fault. Like, where are his blades that he uses throughout the film?

Old 08-03-2022, 12:27 PM   #1345
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

822-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Waspinator.

You know it's been a while that I’ve had this figure in storage when they have released a brand new version of it before I had a chance to open this one. And while I’m not actively collecting Transformers anymore, I am happy that Beast Wars characters are making a comeback because it was a legitimately good show. Sure, It took a while for me to see that (it wasn't until after Beast Machines that I started watching it) but once I got over the fact that Optimus wasn’t a Truck, I was able to appreciate the story that they were trying to tell. It’s too bad that since then, every iteration has been a G1 skin of sorts, however that might change with the upcoming live action movie featuring some characters from the Beast era.

Pros: As an adult collector The Beast Wars and Beast Machine figures were my first intro to the new style of Transformers and I was really impressed with how articulated they were given that a few short years prior they were basically bricks. That is all to say that updates of these classic characters are hard to match because the OG figures were decent in their own right. I suppose Waspinator is a character deserving of an update as his original figure didn’t match the show in the slightest and Hasbro was really able to create something that fans of the character would appreciate. Overall I think Waspinator is a solid figure that looks great in both modes, has a fun transformation and a weapon that can be utilized in both modes.

Cons: It would have been fun if they could have incorporated the head getting “blown up” troupe that he is known for, but that is just a minor gripe.

Old 08-03-2022, 12:28 PM   #1346
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 08-04-2022, 12:26 PM   #1347
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

823-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Luke Skywalker.

AS of this writing the Obi-Wan Kenobi show is 3 episodes down with 3 more to go and for the most part I like it. Sure there are issues, but I?m trying to approach things in a positive way these days. Like Kevin Smith say?s ?I?d rather light a match than curse the darkness? and I think it is something that more ?fans? should try to do. HOWEVER, my one wish, my one piece of constructive criticism to the current decision makers at Lucas Film would be: stop trying to fill all the holes in the timeline and build out the Galaxy more. Yes there has been great success with the Clone Wars cartoon that bridged the gap between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, but it spanned a lot of different characters that brought so much depth to the universe. When you take a character like Han Solo, Boba Fett or Obi Wan Kenobi and try to make every moment of their life important or exciting people start to lose the overall mystery and allure of the character. It?s also why I think The Mandalorian works so well given that he is not boxed in by current Dogma, but can still work in other known characters through his travels. In any case I hope that Star Wars finds its feet in a post trilogy world with the comfort that Star Wars has had its share of difficult times and has always come out on top?. Eventually.

Pros: It?s crazy how long it took for this iconic version of Luke to be released. I mean, it might not be everyone?s favorite version, but come on now; this is the guy. Overall I think Hasbro did a really solid job on the figure and appreciate the overall look. Also a big shoutout to whomever greenlit the soft goods tunic as I?m sure it was a battle.

Cons: While I appreciate the light saber and the binoculars, I think a blaster or Rifle should have been included too.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:30 PM   #1348
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-13
Hasbro- Transformers Legacy: Skids

Story time!

I had Skids as a kid and it wasn't because some random relative couldn't figure out what to get me for Christmas or a Birthday: I actually wanted him. And the funny thing was I wanted him because I thought his alt-mode was a mini-van. I'm not even kidding: back in the 80's Minivans were everywhere and I thought it would have been cool to have a Transformer of one. And while it sounds lame, let's not forget that one of the most popular Transformers created was a Tape Deck; at least the van would have some cargo space. That of course until I figured out (probably with some help from my brother who was just as confused as to why I would want a van-former) that he was not a van, but rather a ?le-Car? compact vehicle, which still confuses me to this day. I mean, I get why a smaller car would be a beneficial alt-mode a la Bumblebee, but why would the toys be different sizes? A VW Bug is probably bigger than a le-Car, yet the figures aren't even close in size; you can see my childhood brain confusion. Since then there have been multiple videos about Transformers history that clear up the reasoning behind the size differences and spoiler alert: it's because they didn't care, but I still don't really understand who signed off on a le-Car? Perhaps they were nostalgic for a vehicle, much in the same way that I was when I saw this Skids Legacy figure on the shelf and knew I needed him, despite my lack of interest in the Legacy line.

Pros: Well color me impressed, Skids is awesome. Great sculpt in both modes with full homages to G1, an intuitive transformation that snaps together well, a solid range of motion with lots of posing options and their different weapons. I'm not sure if this will lead me into the Legacy line, but if Skids is any indication as to the quality of the others and you are on the fence, it might be a cool line to dip your toe into.

Cons: Two minor issues: 1. Transformation to vehicle is tricky to get everything tucked in properly and I feel like the G1 figure had shoulder cannons to which this version is missing, but that could just be an incorrect memory and I honestly do not have access to the internet at the moment to verify.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:30 PM   #1349
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 08-08-2022, 01:35 PM   #1350
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

824-2
Diamond Selects: Avatar the Last Airbender: Aang

Well Diamond, I may owe you an apology, or at the very least commend you on your ability to make an amazing figure when you actually want to. That doesn?t take away from the shortfalls of some of the previous toy releases, including the first 2 Avatar figures, but let's look forward. I also want to commend them on getting rid of the ridiculously huge packages for small figures in favor of these smaller boxes. I?m not sure if the MISB crowd is going to like it, but for smaller figures it was ridiculous. Also BIG shout out to Diamond for actually continuing the line past the first few figures. I was hopeful that McFarlane toys was going to provide us with some great new figures that would include figures from Korra, but it looks like they let us down in the same way they let down Star Trek fans.

Pros: SO much to gush about on this version of Aang The sculpt captures his happy and cheerful likeness from the first season, the articulation isn?t hindered in any way and he can actually hand from his trademark glider with a flight stand to prop him up. Lots of hands and a closed up glider, as well as his old pale Momo, completes the figure nicely.

Cons: I?m not someone who cares too much, but the articulation breaks or gaps on his knees are a bit? unsightly. That said, It reminds me of old school articulation from the late 90?s/early 2000?s so I really don?t mind it; these are toys after all.