ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #561
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

330-2
Hasbro-G.I. Joe Renegades- Firefly

I’m continuing to review each episode of the short lived G.I. Joe Renegades show; see review 275-2 and 302-2 for previous thoughts.

EP - 2: Descent Part 2: Basic premise: A continuation to set the table for the storyline of this series. Cobra frames the Joes for blowing up the Cobra facility, the Military get involved to help apprehend the **AHEM* RENEGADE Joes and the nearby town are under threat from one of Mindbender’s BioVipers that escaped in the blast. The Joes save the day and manage an escape from both the Military and Cobra solidifying their “A-Team” like status.

Thoughts: I like the Baroness and appreciate her involvement in the series. I really hate Mindbender, however the BioViper story is decent. Tunnel Rat’s eulogy for Ripcord was surprisingly funny. Involvement of Mars weapons should mean a Destro connection right? I totally forgot that Flint was in this series. It’s like a frickin horror show with how these BioVipers suck the energy out of living things and I like how they figured it out how to defeat the threat. An interesting connection between Duke and Flint that reminds me of Starship Troopers in a way. Nice revival of Cobra Commander

Pros: It’s funny how I have recently latched on to the Fortnite Havok figure for looking so much like Firefly, but open an actual G.I. Joe Firefly that looks nothing like his original or homaged self. That said, I am really digging the new look that has been based on the Renagas animation model. Additionally he comes with a number of usable accessories, including a machete that can be stored in a sheath and multiple other guns. Articulation is fairly standard and of course comes with a typical GI Joe stand.

Cons: While the figure itself is fairly solid the accessories are a bit of a hodgepodge that make me scratch my head some. The noted machete and guns work, but he also comes with a random cell phone and a literal missile shaped. Not a bomb that would be used for espionage, not a bomb that would be attached to the wing of a jet or even a bomb that Batman would try to get rid of. It looks like a bomb that someone would find in a random field and call the authorities to take care of it. I mean, did they not have anything better to include???

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #562
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

331-2
DC Collectibles- Batman The Animated Series: The Penguin

Continuing my quest to re-watch all the DC Animated features to date and give some thoughts regarding 3 key touchpoints: Animation Style, Voice Acting & Story. These are really just rough notes as I watched the movie and might not make a whole lot of sense unless you have recently watched it. See 290-2, 303-2 & 318-2 for my previous instalments.

Wonder Woman 2009
1. Animation Style- I really like the overall animation style but at this point am not used to the classic Wonder Woman, skirless outfit.
2. Voice Acting- Top tier- Kari Russal, Alfread Molina, Nathan fillian (so used him sounding like Green Lantern at this point)
3. Story- If you are familiar with the recent DC live action movie there is really nothing new here, except that this movie came out first and it takes place during “modern” times (something that I don’t love). There is a real badass first 10 minutes with the Amazon war and some great backstory/mythology. Overall I think this movie does a better job in telling the Wonder Woman backstory, but there is a lot packed in to this rather short cartoon. I HATE how Steve Trevor is such a jerk, but I really enjoyed the last act. Overall I think it is a superior movie to the live action, but not perfect.

Pros: DC Collectibles really has done a fantastic job in capturing the 3D model look of The Penguin, for better or worse. As with all DC Collectibles Penguin has a number of episode specific accessories that suit the character and a good amount of articulation.

Cons: How do you even articulate a literal sphere? Unfortunately you can’t, that is, you can’t very well; while The Penguin might look really good, overall he is basically a brick. A round brick, but a brink nevertheless. Outside of that the accessories don’t help to improve the figure and the included stand is a bit of a joke. Overall a nice figure to round out (literally) Batman’s rogues gallery, but not a great figure.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #563
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

332-2
Hasbro- Fall of Cybertron: Jazz

It’s somewhat surprising that Hasbro released mainline figures based on the Transformers video game series “War for” & “Fall of” Cybertron. I’m not certain how well the games faired financially, if they were embraced by the fandom, or even if they were any good as I didn’t play them, but this is something that I certainly was able to get behind. Outside of the video game tie-in there was always a market for pre-earth Cybertronian style figures and I am glad Hasbro delivered; even if the figures are a bit meh.

Pros: Overall looks pretty nice in both modes with homages to his G1 robot design and a futuristic Cybertronian vehicle mode. Transformation is a basic and Jazz has a decent amount of articulation and comes with a blaster that integrates into his vehicle mode.

Cons: Ok, real-talk: while I understand the need for wheels, I feel that transformers would have the ability to hover rather than be tied to the road. Transformation involves a spring-loaded feature (which I hate) and the whole chest assembly doesn’t really lock into place. Also, he feels really light and cheap and while this is a bit of a nitpick, I do not like his wrists are attached unevenly to the forearms.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #564
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

333-2
Disney Toybox- Pixar: Bullseye

Rating of worst to best of the a the Pixar movies continued; see review 205-2, 219-2, 231-2, 240-2, 264-2, 270-2, 285-2, 292-2, 297-2, 303-2, 313-2, 320-2 & 325-2 for the previous instalments:

7. Toy Story

The first full length Pixar movie that pushed the limits of 3D animation technology and amazing storytelling that still impacts moviegoers to this day. It is really quite tremendous the effect that this one movie had, and continues to have, on pop culture. I mean can you even picture a world without Toy Story and Pixar in general? Firsty you have the impact of the 4 blockbuster movies that a generation of kids literally grew up on, secondly all the toys and merchandise that has
become synonymous with all major franchises and lastly, as a Disney fan, the seemingly perfect integration of Pixar to the Disney portfolio making people forget that they were never always the same company. Outside of all that praise, the story is beyond imaginative and full of heart proving early on that not all cartoons are for kids. Though, through a current lens the animation is a bit rudimentary, it is still very enjoyable to watch and does not take away from the overall film. Toy Story also has the privilege of being the first VHS movie that I owned that came with either a special animation cell or poster as part of the Disney Store promotion.

Pros: When Bullseye was first released it was as part of a 5 pack of Toy Story figures and I WAS PISSED as I already had the other four and was sure that they would have never re-packed him for a solo release. Honestly any “Toy Manufacturer” that does this kind of thing as a sale promotion should be punched right in the gut. Thankfully, likely due to the release of Toy Story 4 cooler heads prevailed and I was able to get my Bullseye and overall I really love it. He has a great sculpt, nice articulation and even comes with a little green alien.

Cons: Nothing comes to mind on this figure as it really checks all the boxes for what I expected.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #565
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 04-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #566
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

334-2
Hasbro- Marvel The First 10 Years: Iron Man MARK XXII, Pepper Potts & The Manderian

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I do not like multi-packs that contain 3 or more figures; there is just too much in one box to properly focus on the individual characters and typically include a few previously released characters with one that everyone wants making collectors shell out more cash for a figure that could have been single packed. Thankfully this pack has 3 figures from the way underrated Iron Man 3 movie that I don;t think I have AND I got it on a major sale so its a bonus all around.

Pros: Iron Man MARK XXII: While I’m not 100% certain, I’m fairly confident that this is a really cool repaint from a previous Marvel Legends line; I mean, who would not love “Hot Rod Flames” adorning an Iron Man Suit.
Pepper Potts: She has a great head sculpt and love that they included the “Iron Man” arm and blast effect that featured so prevalently in the movie.
The Manderian: Another first for the line and certainly the GEM of the wave featuring a fantastic detailed sculpt that pops right from the screen and a good amount of articulation.

Cons: Iron Man Mark XXII: As good as the figure looks, it’s certainly a product of the time it was released and I HATE those stupid ball jointed hips.
Pepper Pott: So this is the first toy of the Pepper Potts character that we get in Legends form and she’s in her underwear… ***sign***. Her leggings are basically just paint and have no depth and even despite that, the extra “Iron Man” doesn’t even fit or articulate properly to pose correctly.
The Manderian: Big surprise: his hard plastic cloak gets in the way of his articulation. Also I would have liked to see some accessories to complete the look.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #567
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 04-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #568
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

335-2
Playmates /SpinMaster: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Retro Michelangelo

Does anyone else remember the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles video game on the Nintendo Entertainment System? As far as I can remember it was the first pop culture tie-in game that I played and boy was it tough. I recall my brother and I spending hours grinding through the game trying deal with that under water level, mastering the stupid jump/no jump sections and of course, on the recommendation of our trusty Nintendo Power Magazine, collecting 99 of those scrolls that were so key for finally winning the game. Looking back, it was a unique premise with two styles of play: a top down maze through the city and a more standard side scroller allowing for the choice of the 4 brothers that have 4 different weapon styles. For my money Leonardo or Donatello were first choices given better range of weapons, but Michelangelo would have been an easy 3rd in line over the stupid Sai wielder Raphael. Infect I can still hear the sound I made when Mikey attacked.

Pros: Like the others that proceeded, this is a fantastic retro figure that I was never able to find as a kid. Decent articulation, a nice sculpt and a bunch of accessories make this figure worth every penny.

Cons: Weapons develop stress marks if bent too much. This is a bit of an issue as they are really meant to be bent.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #569
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

336-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Power of the Primes: Windcharger

Seems as though I have already reviewed a few Windcharger figures over the years, but looking back maybe just one. In any case, one might be too many given that I have very little affinity to the character and wonder why there has been no love to the more superior Mini Bot: Cliffjumper. In any case I do enjoy these little Transformers and would have loved them as a kid. Lots of play value and articulation, easy transformation and most importantly, pocket sized to bring to family restaurant dinners.

Pros: I’m not sure who keeps trying at Hasbro to create the perfect version of Windcharger, but I have to think that now we have it. Great G1 look, fun transformation and good articulation make this an ideal little mini bot for your collection.

Cons: Would it have broken the bank to include a weapon?

Old 04-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #570
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

337-2
McFarlane Toys- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Ronald Weasly

Continuing my look at all the Harry Potter themed rides and attractions at the various Universal Studios Parks around the world. My first review can be found at review 324-2.

Next on the list of Harry Potter Rides / Attractions is what I would consider the flagship for the entire concept given that if it didn’t work, the land would not have worked. Housed in the amazingly epic looking Hogwarts school is the equally epic Harry Potter and The Forbidden Journey experience. And what experience it is. Sure the ride is exceptional (more on that later) but the line or cue is super fun too, especially for fans of the Harry Potter movies. Here is a rather long walk through and ride through with all the details:

https://youtu.be/0h6nInv4RY4

If it is not clear by the video the ride system is what is called a KUKA Arm which is basically a robotic arm attached to to a seat runs on a track and allows for basically 360 degrees of movement. Couple that with movement through a number of different practical sets and screens featuring all the favorite scenes of the Wizarding World. Overall I like this ride, but find it to be a bit too intense for me and lead to some pretty major motion sickness the first time I rode it. Thankfully the next time I took the adventure they re-jigged the ride and removed the 3D effect leading to only minor motion sickness. All things considered this ride really does live up to the hype and deserves all the hype that it gets as a new standard for theme park attractions.

Pros: I got to say, for the price I paid, I love these McFarlane Harry Potter figures. I’m super on board with their articulation scheme that seems to be fairly standard on all these human figures, the detail is fantastic that is reminiscent of the Spawn figures of the 90’s and the accessories work well for the characters. I also LOVED that they included a character specific patronus and stand for each figure. I think it exceeds any “magic” effect that they could have included given that these are specific.

Cons: I realize that I just said that the detail is fantastic, but his head sculpt is laughable. Like maybe they should have done another pass with some paint to make him look a bit more human and a bit less like Data from Star Trek. Speaking of… Maybe Todd should get back on that Star Trek line.