ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #61
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #62
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Takasa/Tomy: Masterpiece, MP20- KO Wheeljack.

Well, seeing as the cops didn't bust down my door after my KO Sideswipe review, I thought I would try my luck with KO Wheeljack. I have more of a connection to Wheeljack as he was my second official G1 Transformers as a kid (first being Jetfire) and as such I always liked him in the Cartoon. It didn't hurt that he was featured prominently in the first gripping opening scenes of the "More Than Meets The Eye" mini series while still on Cybertron. I also liked his rather unique head sculpt as it was different than everyone else on the Autobots.

I feel like Hasbro has done a rather poor job of carrying on the Wheeljack legacy in the multiple iterations of transformers over the years. This especially rings true with his terrible characterization in the Movie-verse. Granted, he was known as Q, but we all know who he was a nod too. In any case I was never able to find the toy and I was ok that he was killed off.

The toy itself carried similar quirks as the Sideswipe KO, but nothing that I was not expecting from the Youtube reviews. There are simple fixes for some things and other things just don't bother me. My only gripe is the shoulder issue not being tabed in securly. Not a big deal though, just a observation.

I'm also happy that he comes with his little tool kit / lunch box. Its a nice little addition and typically was an upgrade for the legitimate version.

Overall, like KO Sideswipe, I am happy that I was able to pick up this KO for a reasonale price, but if it ever comes available to me at a reasonable price I will happily pick up the legitimate figure as I feel it is that good.

Pros: MP Figure for KO Price, upgrade accessory included.

Cons; Illegal, some KO quirkiness, Shoulders do not hold in place.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #63
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Disney Vinylmation Star Wars Series 5 - Zutton (Snaggletooth)

Long story short, we went to Disneyland Paris. Per the tradition, I bought a Vinylmation. I picked another Star Wars figure as I though the were going to be more scarce given that we were there two days before Force Friday and the slough of new stuff was surely going to replace the OT stuff. Looking at the possibilities I was hopping for either Hammer Head or the Sandtrooper, but was pretty pleased that I was able to pull the ever sought after and presumably rare Chase figure. Not sure why they chose to make Zutton the chase figure, but I recall there being some weirdness with the original POTF Kenner line, but maybe someone just likes him. In any case I like it well enough I suppose. I'm also not certain as to what his "ears" are supposed to be. Wave mates seam to have a similar design so perhaps its just random desert? Either way it's a bit weak. Not that I would sell it, but various Ebay listings have him for around $40, which isn't too bad considering.

Pros: Chase Figure, worth money, reminds me of an amazing Paris Trip

Cons: Not my first choice, Not my favourite Star Wars character.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #64
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Thinkway Toys Wall-E - Eve

It's not a stretch to say that Pixar makes some pretty incredible movies and Wall-E, in my opinion, stacks up as one of their best. I am grateful that it seams to have dodged the sequel train that Pixar is so apt to do as of late and while I have no inherent issues with sequels, I just feel it is almost the perfect movie from start to finish with no need for more. Granted I felt the same way about Monsters Inc and look what happened there.

Anyways, Thinkway toys has done a great job across the board with these Pixar figures, but I think poor distribution and timing has killed their "exclusive deal" with Toys R Us which is really too bad as I was hoping for a Ratatouille figure. That said, I was happy enough with getting a handful of Pixar figures including this Mid-Sized Eve figure. She (yes, she. Spare me the gender argument) has articulated arms that allow for both a decent range of movement and to lye flat in "sleep" mode, a neck swivel and a display base.

Overall I feel that Eve represents an almost perfect toy. Yes it is simple, but is also not bogged down with excessive accessories or gimmicks that toys are typically saddled with. Sometimes it is nice for a toy to just be a really good representation of it's source material.

Pros: Great representation of the character, Articulated arms work very well, nice stand included.

Cons: Would have been nice if the eyes could close in sleep mode,
Old 10-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #65
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars - Darth Vader

I have not even finished reviewing the last of my 2.0 figures, but I just could not help myself; these Star Wars Infinity figures are just too great. That said, I was good enough to wait on Vader as my first purchase. I will eventually get the rest, but I'll be waiting until they go on sale.

There is not much more to say about the figure except that I still love aesthetic of the infinity figures and looking forward to seeing more Star Wars characters in the mix.

Pros: Great sculpt.

Cons: Some prices have increased to $16.99- WAY to much.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:04 AM   #66
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Sci-Fi Revoltech Series 025 - Pirates of the Caribbean Jack Sparrow.

It's hard to believe that the first Pirates of the Caribbean was released in 2003; over 10 years ago! Since then there has been three more films and another one in post production. Pretty impressive for a movie franchise based on a theme park ride. Regardless of the reception each subsequent movies, I continue to be a fan as I adore the pirate lore that they have created. Jack Sparrow is also, in my opinion, one of the best characters from the last decade, so I thought it would be cool to pick up a highly detailed and articulated figure for my collection. Unfortunately, overall the figure is a bit of a disappointment, but does have some redeeming qualities.

The biggest downfall of this figure is it's limited articulation and for a Revoltech that is a big issue. The joints are present, but useless what with all the moulded plastic appendages and clothing. Granted Jack Sparrow has long hair and flowing dress, but what good is a fully articulated head and neck if the dreadlocks get in the way of slightly turning ones head? The back of the package has a few "action shots" and I kid you not, this is the extent of the USEABLE motion of this figure. He also comes with a very nice "ship mast" for a base, but again it doesn't quite work with the figure as the heel peg is too large requiring to basically prop Jack up there and hope he doesn't fall off.

It is not all bad though. For what this figure lacks in articulation it makes up for it in detail and sculpt; it is literally a work of art and hard to believe that it is a 6" movable toy and not a statue. Thankfully for me, I keep all of my toys and display pieces. I also must say that the packaging was pretty great too.

He comes complete with all his effects including his sword, musket, trusty hat and extra right hand. There are a bunch on nice little details that are moulded on to his clothes including his compass and other jewelry.

One other cool detail of the figure is that the sculptor is credited right on the front on the package. In this case it is Oniki Yuji. How cool is that? As mentioned, Figures like this are certainly a work of art and the sculptors should be getting credit for their work.

Overall the hinderance of the articulation kills what would have a really great figure, however given the size constraint there is only so much that they can do. If this was a 12" figure there would be fabric clothing, but it never really works with a figure of this size. I'm happy that I purchased this figure, but wish I did not spend quite so much.

Pros: Amazing sculpt and attention to detail, the Ship Mast stand looks really great, very nice packaging.

Cons: Clothing and Hair hinders Revoltech articulated joints.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:46 AM   #67
joshimus
Convention Exclusive

joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:55 AM   #68
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Not sure you meant to post that in here, but damn you to hell for making me want to buy that Batmobile with that great picture. Nice lighting on that!
Old 10-24-2015, 12:56 AM   #69
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

43 & 44
Disney Infinity 2.0 Marvel Super Heroes- Nick Fury & Goblin

Alright, been sitting on these pictures too long; Get ready for a Infinity 2.0 barrage!

Nick Fury- Officially could have been my last 2.0 figure. I like the actual figure and sculpt well enough, I just have never really liked the comic character.

Goblin- Clearly based on the Ultimate Spiderman version of the character and while I love the Ultimate Spiderman comic series (including Miles Morales) I never liked this take on Goblin. Not sure why a guy in a mask and purple PJ's is better, but that's just my opinion.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:24 AM   #70
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

45 & 46 & 47
Disney Infinity 2.0 Disney Originals - Hiro & Jasmine & Stitch

Hiro- It's crazy to me how Big Hero Six, a well received HIT MOVIE can still be over shadowed by the Frozen juggernaut. I'm still holding out for maybe a TV series or even sone type of sequel.

Jasmine- Every Street Rat needs a Street Mouse and Jasmine fits the bill. Strange how they produced 2 Aladdin based figures, but not the most popular? Strange.