ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #1121
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

689-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Cable

I’ll be 100% honest here, my knowledge of Cable is limited to the 90’s X-Men cartoon, whatever was included in the various Wizard and Toyfare magazine articles and of course the recent and amazing Deadpool 2 movie. That said, I get the gist and actually feel that I missed out by not paying attention to all those bombastic X-Force comics from back in the day, but what can I say? I was more interested in the extremely forgettable, but no less fantastic Sleepwalker comic at the time.

Pros: This, this right here is the stuff. Cable is the reason why people collect Marvel Legends because it shows that when Hasbro tries, like really puts the money and effort into a great figure it really shows. Fantastic sculpt that I assume is based off a new comic design, solid articulation and two massive guns that really captures the look that Cable is known for.

Cons: Some type of back holster to hold the weapons would have been cool, but other than that, Cable is one of my favorite figures of the year.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #1122
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

690-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Earth – 22 Robin.

Leave it to McFarlane Toys to release a real messed up version of Batman’s beloved sidekick Robin before a more traditional one. And when I say messed up, I mean it. I suppose it tracks given that the super popular and creepy Batman Who Laughs are these Robin’s guardian, or more likely captor, but it is still a bit much considering this is a toy sold on the same shelves as other kids toys, well if you could find the dang thing on the shelf which brings me to the next issue. McFarlane REALLY messed up with the release of these Robins. See, for those who don’t know they released 3 different molded heads as an incentive to create a WORM (appropriate term) of Robins, but did not increase production to meet the demand of collectors who need to catch them all. I suppose the better option would have been to release these guys independently of the BAF set as a 3 park, but given the army build mentality of some fans, I’m sure it would have still be difficult track down, not to mention the fact that I don’t really want 3 of these figures, even if they do have different creepy heads.

Pros: This figure shines in a way that many other McFarlane figures do with an amazing sculpt and fantastic paint job. That said I do have some issues including….

Cons: The articulation suffers greatly and the package is a little light on accessories. I understand that this is a BAF figure, but the fact that Robin costs more than Devastator is bananas.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:46 PM   #1123
Eko123
Body without Organs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
690-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Earth – 22 Robin.

McFarlane REALLY messed up with the release of these Robins. See, for those who don’t know they released 3 different molded heads as an incentive to create a WORM (appropriate term) of Robins, but did not increase production to meet the demand of collectors who need to catch them all. I suppose the better option would have been to release these guys independently of the BAF set as a 3 park, but given the army build mentality of some fans, I’m sure it would have still be difficult track down, not to mention the fact that I don’t really want 3 of these figures, even if they do have different creepy heads.
On a brief side note, McFarlane Toys revealed they will be re-releasing the Batman Who Laughs with all 3 Robin variants as a box set.

https://toynewsi.com/14-40348
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC-Multiverse-Multipack-01__scaled_800.jpg (67.5 KB, 0 views)
Eko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #1124
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

691-2
Hasbro- Transformers Siege: Apeface.

Ok quick fun story about Apeface that I’m sure I’ve told in a previous review, but I don’t care. Way back in the magical times known as the late 80’s, The Transformers were struggling to stay relevant after killing off and bringing Optimus Prime back to life and introduced the new Headmaster and Target masters gimmick to the toys. For a couple of young impressionable Transformers fans like my brother and I, this meant a brand new selection of new toys to opine over in the Sears Christmas wishbook and made no secret about what figures we would love as Christmas gifts from our family. Our requests were simple of the two of the new Decepticon “triple changer” headmaster figures, my brother wanted Apeface and I wanted Snapdragon. Sounds simple right? As the big day grew nearer, my brother and I became more and more impatient with anticipation, but never would break the sacred seal of Christmas wrapping paper. That said we were not above tricks such as the seam peak and the bright light through thin paper ruse. Our hours of research yielded a hypothesis that perhaps our well-meaning Aunt, the one that got me a random Thundercat accessory when should could not read my handwriting asking for a ThunderClap GI Joe Vehicle, may have come through with the goods, but maybe messed up who wanted what. Finally our suspicions were validated when we opened the presents and did what could have been the quickest re-gift back to each other in gift giving history.

Pros: Certainly a lot to like about Apeface. Solid Robot and Ape mode, fun transformation, cool accessories, a good amount of articulation and a neat way to incorporate the headmaster in Ape mode.

Cons: The Jet mode is lacking in design and basically looks like a box with wings.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #1125
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 10-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #1126
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

692-2
Hasbro- Ghostbusters Plasma Collection: Ray Stantz

**INCOMING RANT**

Unfortunately due to the pandemic many upcoming movies were put on hold until such time that people can safely head back to the theaters and one of these movies was the highly anticipated Ghostbusters 3 sequel. Because movies are planned years in advance, the marketing machine is typically in full swing well before a movie's release with franchise ephemera showing up on store shelves to squeeze all that money out of our pockets as soon as possible. With that said, the Ghostbusters Plasma collection hit store shelves sometime in early 2020 to, I’d say, mixed views? On the whole, there has been a steady stream of Ghostbusters figures with releases from both Diamond Collectables and more recently Mattel, so it’s not like Hasbro was hitting new ground with this series, but more is always better for super fans, right? In any case, the figures matched the price of basically every other Hasbro 6” figure at 29.99 which is not the issue. The issue is that these same action figures, the very ones that were released last year, have been re-released for a new price of $33.97. $3.97 extra, 13% change for the exact same figure that was 29.99 last year. Why? I mean at this point it is clear that these are not kids toys because what parent would pick this figure up for half the price of a video game. Like, does Hasbro know how much a Switch game costs these days? And that is just for 1 of a possible 6 figures in the BAF set. Now, it’s not to say that these aren’t cool, but even at $30 it’s sometimes a hard pill to swallow. I mean, look at what McFarlane is able to do with $25. In fact, I passed on these guys at retail given that my Mattel set does me just fine and it was only after I picked up Zeddemore for $8 and the rest for $15 at my LCS on Boxing day. For $15-20 they are worth it, but I really just think that Hasbro’s greed is getting out of hand and will be the eventual end of the wide release, collectable toy market.

Pros: Despite my initial hesitation on picking these figures up for retail price, I have to commend Hasbro for doing a really exceptional job on the overall sculpt, articulation and accessories. I’m honestly still floored by the detail on the proton pack and harness. I also like that they made Stanz, and the rest of the group, the appropriate body type…

Cons: Little issue with the ankle boot articulation and the googles are a bit cumbersome to get on without fear of snapping it.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #1127
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

693-2
S.H. Figuarts- Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Hermione Granger

Continuing my look at all the Harry Potter themed rides and attractions at the various Universal Studios Parks around the world. Previous thoughts can be found at review 314-2 Dragon Challenge, 337-2- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, 392-2- Flight of the Hippogriff, 448-2 The Hogwarts Express & 534-2 Butterbeer!

Escape from Gringotts

https://youtu.be/N8FSuOjoy8w

In July of 2014, the long awaited Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion that featured a rather well hidden Diagon Alley was opened at the original Universal Studios located in Florida and it was an instant hit. I suppose this could be a bit of an easy layup for the theme park considering Hogsmead over in Islands of Adventure was probably the most successful new lands in all Florida Theme parks and quite literally changed the game for the industry, but it’s also really, really cool. I’ll get into a bit more detail as to the area in general, but the big draw for fans is the fire breathing dragon and the ride that is housed within the Wizard Bank: Gringotts, the building it sits upon. If you watched the YouTube clip you’ll see that the exterior, the que and final ride is basically emulating some important scenes that play out in the 8th Harry Potter movie: The Deathly Hallows Part Two; but just at different times, which kind of spoils the ride, that is, if you have not seen the movie. I’ll tell you what I mean.

The logical stages of experiencing this ride should be as such:
1. Enter an NORMAL, dragon free Gringotts building and continue through the AMAZING que filled with animatronic banking goblins and other Harry Potter themed sections. I’m serious, much like the other Harry Potter ride, this queue is filled with so many Easter eggs and moments from the Wizarding World, you would even notice the long wait. On the whole I love that Amusement Parks are going the extra mile on the ques; it’s just so much more engaging to the ride and experience in general. The only downside is that people who don’t want to ride a thrill ride might miss out.

2. Experience the pre show that sets the table for the adventure you are about to have. Of course there is some weird reason for you to be there and some crazy amount of danger that you’ll be facing, but most Potter fans will know what direction things are going in.

3. Finally board your mine cart that takes you on a thrilling ride through the lowest depths of the Gringotts Bank where you see some important scenes from the movie playout around you while facing some well known Death Eaters (bad guys) of your own.

4. Leave the attraction to see the newly freed fire breathing Dragon that was just freed in the adventure you partook in.

Now I realize it would be impossible to only include the dragon on the top of the attraction AFTER you ride the ride and even if there was a way to do it, I’m not sure I would like it give that it provides some amazing ambiance for the area, but seeing the dragon before the ride kid of ruins the continuity of it all.

An interesting bit of Park trivia is that Damhnall Gleeson joins Chris Pratt in the rather unique position of being featured in rides at both Universal Studios (Playing Bill Weasley, your guide throughout the attraction) and at Disney (Playing General Hux) in the Rise of the Resistance ride.

I’ve only had a chance to ride Escape from Gringotts twice and if I’m being honest I had a rather lackluster initial opinion of it from the first ride. I’m not sure if I was expecting something different, or was put off by the overuse of screens, but it just didn’t wow me. That said I came around on it after the second time we rode a few years later and overall really enjoyed the experience.

Pros: As with any S.H. Figuarts, Hermione is everything that a high end Japanese collectable action figure should be. Tons of detail featuring a young Emma Watson as the best witch of their year, from the Philosopher's Stone movie, a good amount of articulation for all the poses you would want and a lot of cool accessories including some different face expressions, a want, the titular Philosopher's Stone, so school supplies and a bunch of hands to hold them all.

Cons: While I like the overall design, I would rather have a figure from the later years; perhaps from the third, much better movie. I suppose there is no telling what and when S.H. Figuarts might do, so nothing is out of the question at this point. Also, the figure has a loose ball joint on her torso that often comes apart.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #1128
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 10-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #1129
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

694-2
Disney Toy Box- Marvel: Scarlet Witch and Vision

These reviews were never meant to become a place for me to rant on everything like some toy obsessed Andy Rooney, but here we are.

If you’ve read my reviews at all you will know that I’m a big Disney supporter, possibly teetering on fanatic, however sometimes I have to call things out that are ridiculous or make no sense. Case in point: The Disney Store. If you aren’t familiar, The Disney Store was exactly that, a store full of Disney stuff and has been a Mall staple for as long as I can recall. And honestly, it made sense; Disney is a massive company with an even bigger fan base that lives all over the world, why not have a dedicated location where fans can purchase exclusive merchandise only available at Disney locations without having to travel to California or Florida. Disney sells their stuff to fans who want it; it’s a literal win-win. Or it was because Disney has decided that these stores across the country, that seemed popular with Canadian fans, have all been closed. This hits particularly hard for me given that my family loved to go to the Disney Store every time we went to the mall both as a way to get our Disney fix, but also to spend our money on various stuffed animals, action figures and special ornaments for the Christmas tree.

And you know that the worst thing is? They do not currently have a Canadian presence online. Sure you can order SOME stuff from the current site that offers free shipping for orders over $75 but that’s only for US addresses. Anyone outside of the US is considered “international” and gets to pay an extremely reasonable sum of $50 for the trouble. Like, how is that even possible? Are they actively trying to NOT sell merchandise to Canadians? And it’s not like the solution is that difficult: open a Canadian e-commerce site. It’ll cost little as compared to the Disney Stores that they just closed and still gives Canadians the option to purchase the exclusive stuff that we are missing out on.

All that said an online store solves one problem, but it’s just not the same. This sounds over dramatic, but the mall, especially around Christmas time, is going to feel a whole lot less magical. I also feel bad for kids just coming up that are going to miss out on retail experience. Like did you know that if you got there at opening the Cast Members had this short opening routine where they picked a kid at random to use a special key to “open the store” and one day my daughter got to do it and even received a small keepsake Disney key to commemorate it. You think that Winners is doing that? Hell no. This is not progress.

Pros: Scarlet Witch- I was very pleased to have picked up the ‘new’ MCU Scarlet Witch as featured In the Disney Plus “Wandavision” series prior to the Disney Stores closing. Overall has a great looking sculpt in the Toybox/Infinity style and a good amount of articulation to allow for a number of great poses.

Vision- As with Scarlet Witch, Vision looks great and more or less matches the Disney Infinity release from a number of years ago. Solid sculpt and articulation really makes this a fun two pack.

Cons: Scarlet Witch & Vision- Both are really great figures with little downside. If I was being greedy I’d love some power/magic effects and softer capes.

Old 10-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #1130
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys