ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 03-31-2021, 02:27 PM   #921
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:05 PM   #922
Toradoch
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
543-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Red Guardian.
That is some seriously stark white!
Toradoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:03 AM   #923
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Haha. Yeah, those gloves are real white. I should really adjust my settings for each background, but I’m a bit lazy with that. Set and forget seems to be my motto.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #924
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

549-2
Disney Toybox- Star Wars: The Mandalorian and The Child.

This is my first of many eventual reviews from the super popular Disney Plus Mandalorian series. I’ll eventually have a lot to say as I open up the assortment, but will just start with some simple opinions: I both loved and liked different parts of the series, I do not feel that The Mandalorian is the saving grace of the Star Wars Universe and I’m pissed off that some fans are using it to discredit the other movies. Fact is that I both love and like all Star Wars media and can appreciate that some of it might not meet my personal preferences; the key is to enjoy what you can and move forward from the stuff that you don’t.

Pros: Like most kids from the 80’s who were into Star Wars, I loved the look of Boba Fett and there is just something wired into my brain that this particular combo of shapes will bring me joy and this ToyBox version does a good job in capturing it. As with other Toybox figures, has a great stylized sculpt, a good amount of articulation that allows for a number of decent poses and a blaster that fits into the belt holster. The Child inclusion is nice too.

Cons: I realize that Toybox figures work on a typical budget and with a Blaster and The Child I’m sure he tipped that scale to the maximum amount Disney was willing to pay. That said, they have the ability to make bigger figures at a higher price point that I feel should have been used to include more weapons, fire effects, and a clear stand for the child. After all, it’s a MEGA popular character and fans will buy it.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #925
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 04-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #926
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

550-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Captain Britain.

It really seems as though Marvel did a number on Captain Marvel over the years by taking a unique looking character with a rather neat gimmick and dumbing it down to an essentially Superman clone in a, rather on the nose, Union Jack costume. I suppose this is from the same minds that dressed up a super soldier in a literal US flag, but did the Union Jack need to be used for every SuperHero from the UK?

Pros: I really like the bulk of this Marvel Legend mold and never get tired of seeing it used for the bigger characters. I also really like the look of his helmet and really appreciate the overall sculpt.

Cons: Looking at the various art available for the character, it seems that Hasbro got a bit cheap with his overall design. From all accounts he doesn’t wear fingerless gloves, doesn’t have his forearms wrapped and has black thigh high boots… Ok, the figures boots are an improvement and get a pass as the thigh highs look hilariously terrible; who dreamed up that nonsense.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #927
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

551-2
Hasbro- Transformers Combiner Wars: Ultra Magnus.

The lore on Ultra Magnus is a little all over the place isn’t it? I mean, G1 UM was basically Prime with some extra gear, RID UM was a standalone figure and Combiner Wars Magnus was basically a Gundam MECH suit with a little transforming driver named Minimus Ambus via something called a Loadbearer Spark. Jeez, is that an actual thing? Was there any bit of media regarding this Loadbearer Spark? Sounds really interesting, but is this really what Transformers are? Now that I think about it, might be a neat new gimmick or story idea for the next Transformers series.

Pros: Ultra Magnus is a fantastic representation of the G1 figure with a super nice update. The robot mode looks amazing, the transformation is challenging, but not overly complicated and the vehicle transport is as good as the robot mode. I like the idea of the driver gimmick with Minimus Ambus, but would love some more context as to why it’s a thing.

Cons: Outside of context for the why Minimus Ambus was included, this is a pretty great figure. That said, for the size and price, ankle tilts should really be standard.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #928
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 04-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #929
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

552-2
Hasbro- GI Joe Classified: Destro

This Classified line certainly has been the bane of some collectors lives and for the most part, I don’t blame anyone for being frustrated at the weak distribution, multiple key figures as exclusives and general hoarding/army building that comes with a modern action figure line. I mean, this could have been the worst roll out of any new toy line in recent history. Let review each figure through the numbering:

00- Hasbro Pulse Snake Eyes: Accurate weapons, storage and different paint job. *ONLINE EXCLUSIVE* I didn’t buy this as I thought the standard release was sufficient.
01- Roadblock: Standard release. Was able to pick up at retail and saw a few times on the shelf at multiple retailers and LCS.
02- Snake Eyes: Standard release with nerfed accessories, a knife sheath that doesn’t fit the knife and a different paint job. Was able to pick up at retail, however rarely seen on the shelves.
03- Destro: Standard release. I pre-ordered on Amazon but they cancelled. Later bought off aftermarket sellers at a premium. Saw it once or twice on Amazon and on shelves, but still not easily available.
04- Duke: Standard release. Was able to pick up at retail and saw a few times on the shelf at multiple retailers and LCS.
05- Scarlett: Standard release. Was able to pick up at retail and saw a few times on the shelf at multiple retailers and LCS.
06- Cobra Commander (Dark Blue): Standard release. Was able to pick up at retail and saw a few times on the shelf at multiple retailers and LCS. Cobra Commander (Regal Variant): Lighter color *ONLINE EXCLUSIVE* I didn’t buy this as I thought the standard release was sufficient.
07- Gung Ho: Standard release. Was able to pick up at retail and saw a few times on the shelf at multiple retailers and LCS.
08- Red Ninja: *ARMY BUILDER* Traded a Transformer RED figure for one and an Amazon pre-order actually came through on another. I have yet to see one at retail.
09- Snake Supreme Cobra Commander: New accessories, cloth cape, fancy packaging. *ONLINE EXCLUSIVE* I reverted to eBay for this one.
10- Beach Head: Only version of this figure so far. *Store Exclusive* Was VERY lucky and got one at TRU.
11- Roadblock: Repaint/Retool of 01. *Store Exclusive* Was lucky to get one, but saw him a number of times at TRU.
12- Cobra Trooper: Initial release of this figure. Follow up figure with less accessories has been announced and on pre-order. *Army Builder* *Store Exclusive* Was VERY lucky and got one at TRU.
13- Baroness: Only version of this figure so far. *Store Exclusive* Was VERY lucky and got one at TRU.
14- Storm Shadow Arctic: Only version of this figure so far. *Amazon Exclusive* I had this figure pre-ordered from hour one of the listing and it was cancelled. Reverted to eBay for this one.
15- Destro (Profit Director). *Store Exclusive*Able to get one from a 3rd party seller and from EB games when a pre-order came through. Still readily available.
21- Firefly: Only version of this figure so far. *Store Exclusive* Still not released in Canada, not wanting to take my chances I reverted to eBay.
22- Viper: Only version of this figure so far. *Army Builder* *Store Exclusive* Still not released in Canada, not wanting to take my chances I reverted to eBay.
23- Zartan: Standard release. Pre-Ordered
24- Cobra Infantry: *Army Builder* Updated with less accessories then 12. Pre-Ordered
25- Lady Jaye: Standard release.
26- Flint: Standard release.

So out of 23 individual releases: 10 are exclusives, 6 are exclusives for figures that have not received a regular release, 4 are army builders and only 4 have really hit saturation. Not exactly a great start to the line. Compare that to the new DC Multiverse line from McFarlane: A few easily accessible store exclusives that are now seeing wide release and one army builder. I recognize that these are two different toy lines and the demand might not be there in the same way, but that is entirely in Hasbro’s hands to meet that demand, which they are clearly not.

Pros: Was a bit interesting to see Destro so early on in the Classified run, but I’m not complaining. Overall, as with the other Classified figures, Destro is awesome and only slightly second to Snake Eyes as my favorite so far of the three. Great updated sculpt that still captures the original look, excellent articulation and some solid accessories including two hand guns, a thigh holster to hold one and a Cobra briefcase that can be opened to reveal a molded computer screen and bills.

Cons: Two minor issues: 1. The connection piece on the double jointed elbows is a bit gummy and 2. His chest skin tone is way too pink looking.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:42 AM   #930
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

553-2
DC Collectables- Batman: The Animated Series: Commissioner Gordon

Continuing my quest to re-watch all the DC Animated features to date and give some thoughts regarding 3 key touchpoints: Animation Style, Voice Acting & Story. These are really just rough notes as I watched the movie and might not make a whole lot of sense unless you have recently watched it. See 290-2, 303-2, 318-2, 331-2, 344-2, 358-2, 369-2, 371-2, 385-2, 399-2, 414-2, 426-2, 441-2, 453-2, 462-2, 468-2, 481-2, 490-2, 496-2 510-2, 519-2, 525-2, 538-2 & 547-2 for my previous instalments.

Batman- Bad Blood- 2016

Animation Style: In step with the animated New 52 universe, Bad Blood carries the same style as all the movies that have preceded it. There are some new additions to the universe including the first appearance of Bat Woman who looks great and is true to her comic design, Batwing who looks more or less like the original Batwing from the comic, but I don’t like the helmet with the exposed face, a Dick Grayson version of Batman which looks great and reminds me of the ICONS Batman that was release a few years back and even a last minute appearance of Batgirl, who I have always liked.

Voice Cast: All the same bat family shows up and really gives some consistency to the characters. Newcomers include Yvonne Strahovski as BatWoman (Handmaid’s Tale, 24: Live Another Day), Gaius Charles (Roswell, New Mexico, God Friended Me) as Batwing and Travis Willingham (A ridiculous amount of things, but in typically THOR in Marvel animated projects) as The Heretic. In fun credits, the one and only Ernie Hundson from Ghostbuster fame plays Wayne Tech’s main man, Lucius Fox.

Story: As a fan of the extended “BAT-Family” I really enjoy this movie as it’s nice to see a bit more depth to Batman universe while still staying with the edges of the “New 52” films. I mean, where else are you going to get a feature length animated film featuring two upcoming characters like Bat-Woman and Batwing. Granted, some might not be on boards as much as I was when it was first released given that I had read most of the new 52 titles that featured these characters and was happy to see them in action, but I feel that both characters have cemented themselves in the DC universe well enough that even fair-weather fans would have some knowledge of who these two are. As for the story, I liked seeing the protocol set up for when Bruce/Batman goes missing, seeing how Dick needed to step up this fill Batman’s boots and even how Damien showed up ready to take control. I will say that the story fell a bit flat for me after they rescued Bruce as I’m not entirely clear as to what Talia’s goal was growing clones of Damien/Bruce or how she was going to eventually use them, but it was still fun to see the team in action and the “ninja” fight was a particular highlight for me. Once thing that kind of bothered me it’s the somewhat revisionist history as to who is all “in” the family. Yes it’s cool to see Bat-Woman and Batwing, but where is Red Robin and Redhood? These are important members of the team and have clearly been cut for the ease of storytelling, which sucks as I am a big fan of Tim Drake Robin and love the Red Hood storyline. The other sad thing is that after introducing these new characters, they are never heard from or spoken about in any future DC Animated features; how’s that for a waist of characters.

Pros: Never in a million years would I think a non-costumed, non-superhero would be one of my favorite Batman- The Animated Series figures, yet here we are: Commissioner Gordon is an amazing figure. The sculpt is spot on and just works for his overall shape, it’s the first time that I’ve seen glasses work on a head sculpt, the articulation is enough for a number of key poses, and the two accessories work really well. Awesome figure all around.

Cons: I’m sorry, I will never NOT take a chance to complain about that included stand also, I wish they had included ankle tilts as part of the articulation scheme.