ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 02-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #11
comicbookboy
Cobra Trooper
Re: How much would it take you to quit collecting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbullex View Post
I am giving up on collecting the Marvel Legends for this very reason. I have a collection of Hot Toys and Play Arts Kai. I then got the bug with Marvel Universe and the re release of the New Marvel Legends. When the prices hit over the $20.00 mark I said it was way too much. I am now in the process of selling all my marvel legends.
I've been thinking of quitting but won't for a maybe couple of years. Why not collect other series or keep what you got?
comicbookboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
wedge1021
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbullex View Post
I am giving up on collecting the Marvel Legends for this very reason. I have a collection of Hot Toys and Play Arts Kai. I then got the bug with Marvel Universe and the re release of the New Marvel Legends. When the prices hit over the $20.00 mark I said it was way too much. I am now in the process of selling all my marvel legends.
Well I'd be interested in them if you do sell 'em, I just started with Legends with the "Return" in 2012 so lots to catch up on.

As for the original topic, I do collect several different lines and find that the thing that gets me to slow down / tap out is waning interest in releases or if I pretty much everything I want. It doesn't make me want to sell everything off though. Usually when I buy something it's with the intention of keeping it, whether I am actively collecting that line or not. To date I have only given up on one line entirely - that is The Clone Wars. It turned out that all that stuff just sat in storage unopened so I decided I'd be better off just getting rid of them.

Last edited by wedge1021; 02-23-2014 at 05:54 PM.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
aquanet
Agent of Shield
aquanet's Ebay Auctions

it's easy to get caught up with Legends, especially when you want to complete teams. I didn't like anything I saw at toyfair, so I think now is a good time as ever to quit. I think I am there with you, I'm probably gonna stick with Marvel Universe and maybe cherry pick Star Wars Black.

My Trade List | Follow me on Twitter
aquanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

I don't think I'll ever quit, but I made a resolution this year to be both more selective, and claw back my spending.

So far this year it has been good. Between pricing and overall lack of product that I find interesting, it has been pretty easy.

However I can safely say that pricing is easily going to push me out of certain lines (ML/DCU/MS/DCD) unless a sale comes along to make it cheaper.

Eventually though I see myself dropping off, and focusing on high end items like Masterpiece TFs, Soul of Chogoking, Sideshow/Hot Toys, etc.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #15
Vorahk
Clonetrooper

I will keep buying toys as long as i have the cash to do so. My choices to collect may differ from time to time but i don't think i could ever stop collecting.
Vorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:14 AM   #16
Hantei
Master of the Universe

I don't think I'll ever stop collecting out right as well, maybe just either slow down/reduce the amount I'll buy. Definitely become much more selective as the price rises. Which actually already started when Play Arts Kai figures started to jack up in price to $80+. The recently solicited stuff is now $100...

Haha, I think it would be too hard to stop. I always find myself grabbing movie/game related merchandise. Like NECA's Pacific Rim figures, before the movie I didn't care for them, now I'm looking forward to wave 3! And then there's the LEGO Movie, I found myself buying quite a few of the mini figures that I completely overlooked a month or 2 ago (they're the first LEGO anything I've picked up in, maybe, 13 years). Haha, I think I'm pretty close to buying a couple sets now too (curse you LEGO Movie!).

Movie merchandising is a dangerous thing.
Hantei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:03 AM   #17
cloud
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookboy View Post
I'd like to know since, I've been seeing the prices for the 2014 Marvel Figures which have become ridiculously high.

When i first started collecting marvel universes were a good $9.99 and now after 4 years it has sky rocketed to $11.99. Any more than $10.99 I feel is too much.

Now the legends went from a nice 20 bucks to 26.99 + tax that's almost $30. I've passed out on these guys.

I've skipped on on Captain America's Winter Soldier stuff because of the prices.

The new legends cost more than the selects. I find that ironic.

When it comes to prices how much would you say is too much? And how much would it take for you to give up on collecting or to collect something different?
To be fair, costs went up and a lot of different things factors in as well. Even Jesse Falcon admits that it's not possible to do what he did before in today's world.
You just have to find what's acceptable. I think Hasbro in general has been pretty good with prices and what they produce. I still want to get good toys and add to my collection. I buy what I find just. If it's $20 for a 6" Spiderman with swaping hands and baf piece. It doesn't sound too bad. Way better than a $30 repaint gold Superman figure if you know what I mean.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
jimbing
Cobra Trooper

Good question. I would pay $26.99 plus tax for Black Cat. But thats it. $19.99 seems fair for a Legends type figure nowadays.

IMO NECA still gives us the most bang for our buck
jimbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #19
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbing View Post
Good question. I would pay $26.99 plus tax for Black Cat. But thats it. $19.99 seems fair for a Legends type figure nowadays.

IMO NECA still gives us the most bang for our buck
Can I ask you why?

There are a couple releases of Black Cat from previous Legends line and a Marvel Select version as well. All can be had for cheaper than the current ML Black Cat. So why spend the money? Also, why not wait? She is in demand now, but six months from now you'll be able to easily get her for less.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #20
deagle7000
Keeper of the plastic.

I will say that $10 and $20 weren't nice prices at all when the stuff sold for $8 and $15 in the US. When I moved to Canada and saw figures were $10 plus double the tax I couldn't believe it. Plus not finding a lot at retail and local shops wanting $15-$20. Thankfully TRU regularly has sales so I've pretty much gotten everything on sale the last fee years. Just don't open it or buy something common when the sale hits and return it with the non-sale receipt. Most of my MU the past year and a half I've only paid $8 for since the recent waves all came to Canada. I got the professor x wave when they had that $5.50 sale.

I do think that Legends are the worst right now. They were $17.99 a year or so ago at Wal-Mart. Now TRU wants $27 for the new stuff? Glad I hardly buy any Legends.

I get that in the last decade petroleum based products cost more and labor in China costs more but the price gouging of Canadians is just too much. The Government is trying to devalue the dollar so less people will shop in the US but for the last 5 years or so the dollars were on par. And yet, companies charged Canadians more. They even admit that their costs aren't really any higher for products in Canada. Canadians were just used to paying more so they charge more. Stores like Target and Wal-Mart have admitted this. Why do you think TRU can afford to put everything on sale once a month when they never do in the US? They know they are overpriced.

Last edited by deagle7000; 02-28-2014 at 10:40 AM.
deagle7000 is offline   Reply With Quote