ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #221
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

I think he was around $16 from EB Games. The gun is a bit wide in the handle for a 6" figure I think.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #222
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Wow, Over a month since I last posted. Hopefully I can get back on track here.

107-02
Hasbro / Takara-Tomy- Transformers- Studio Series: Starscream

Does anyone else find it hard to believe that it has been almost 11 years since the first Bay-formers movie came out? Things seemed so idealistic then and I’m not even trying to wax poetic, I really feel like the world and society is changing so quick that 11 years really does seem like an eternity ago. Since then there has been 4 (not so great) Transformers movies, an entire Marvel Cinematic Universe built up, an entire DC universe shut down and 4 new Star Wars movies created. Pop culture is certainly exponentially evolving and while I’m not complaining, I wish that producers would just “pump the brakes” a little bit and focus on quality over quantity. I mean, there is a reason why people love the original Star Wars movies: sure they were fun, well made and groundbreaking for the genre, but also were watched collectively by thousands of kids over and over and over because there was nothing else like it. If there was a new Star Wars movie coming out every year in the 80’s would people love Empire as much? I doubt it as it would just get lost in the shuffle.

What a long winded way of saying that when I saw this new mould of Bay-verse Starscream I was immediately nostalgic and had to pick it up.

Pros: Overall a fantastic robot mode with an equally as good jet mode. Transformation is fairly intuitive and simple, but still being a bit of a challenge.

Cons: Bottom of the jet holds a bit of kibble and it would be nice to have a better range of motion on his head. At $40 the price is a bit steep, but I have not seen a quality mainline figure like this since Revenge of the Fallen.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #223
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

108-2
Diamond Select- Disney Store Exclusive- Marvel: The Mighty Thor

Ok so here's the thing, generally speaking I don't particularly care for the Diamond Select line of figures. I feel like they are a bit too big for my tastes and they just slightly miss the mark in as far as sculpting detail and articulation. I also historically don't care about Thor (which was noted in my other review of the Hasbro Legends 12” series) and prior to these past figures, have not owned one nor felt the need to pick one up. That said I love this figure! Could be partly because I got it for the low price $12, but there is much more to than that.

Pros: Nice sculpt of the modern comic Thor, really great accessories including the amazing spinning Mjolor (worth the cost of the figure alone) and a decent amount of articulation allowing for a good amount of poses.

Cons: the original price is a bit steep on these given that Marvel Legends has these beat in as far as paint, sculpt and articulation. The right leg hip joint was also super stiff on mine and I was sure that I almost broke it when trying to move it.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #224
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

109-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Dark of the Moon: Sentinel Prime.

Hate is a really strong word, one that I feel that people, myself included, throw around a bit to liberally given the rather sever connotation. I dislike brussel sprouts as they don’t taste good to me, I loth many of the people appearing on reality shows as I feel that the vile behavior featured throughout is widely celebrated when should be shamed and I really do not care for people who enjoy the Star Wars Extended Universe over the Disney Star Wars movies, (Listen, I get the pain you have from when DIsney wiped our years of content with a Thanos like ‘snap’ of their fingers, but it was muddled, contrived and many times super silly) but I really hate Sentinel Prime.

Sure, he's voiced by the late great Leonard Nimoy and the character is believable enough as a turn heel looking out for the future of his dying race/planet and the figure is feat of engineering with an impressive size and he also has a great face sculpt, great accessories, great acticulation, and I love the fire truck vehicle mode because it reminds me of the old RID series, but… that transformation just kills it for me. It took me no less than 45 min and a YouTube tutorial to get him from robot mode to vehicle mode and even then he's still a bit of a mess. I have mentioned in the past that I'm inept when it comes to transforming figures, but in my defence the instructions are basically worthless (to whom at at Hasbro that decided to provide instructions using a small grey prototype: I dislike you very much.) Also, those feet are ridiculously bad. I really shouldn't complain as they certainly don't make Transformers like this anymore, but it's just frustrating for me, nevermind for a kid, who are the ones who should be playing with them.

Pros: Masterpiece level figure with good size, great likeness and cool vehicle mode.

Cons: Extremely complex transformation that causes fits of rage and frustration also, his hip joints are relatively loose making standing a bit of a challenge.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #225
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 07-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #226
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

110-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Combiner Wars: Silverbolt

So until about 2 minutes before sitting down to write this review I honestly thought that this guys name was Scattorshot. It’s not like I didn’t know his name either, I loved the original Aerialbots, but I suppose that it was just one of those things that happen with age or perhaps from me even pulling back a bit from the franchise, but I think the most likely thing and this might sound blasphemous to any Transformers fan, I relate the name Silverbolt to the Beast Wars character. I mean it's not like the original Silverbolt had much in the way of a personality or overall character development outside of the Key to Vector Sigma episodes but I suppose that was par for the course in the G1 cartoon.

Pros: Good resemblance original Generation 1 character. Has a nice sturdy construction with a good amount of articulation and easy, but not to simple transformation.

Cons: The robot has a plane on his back and the plane has a robot on its undercarriage. Works ok for the robot mode as the plane has a fairly thin profile, but is very noticeable in vehicle mode. Also his gun looks awesome, but it fits really loose when in the hand.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #227
Bludchylde
Red Shirt

My Silverbolt, I have no problem with him holding his gun and shield. Combiner mode however swings so loosely in his hand, it might as well be a propeller.
Bludchylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #228
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludchylde View Post
My Silverbolt, I have no problem with him holding his gun and shield. Combiner mode however swings so loosely in his hand, it might as well be a propeller.
Seems like it would be a fairly easy thing to get right from a QC standpoint. I have not tried in combined mode, so we shall see if it's even worse.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #229
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

111-2
Disney Store- Star Wars Elite Series: Director Orson Krennic.

So Orson (really?!? LOL...alright) Krennic is the last of my Elite Series figures, so I will only be able to sing the lines praises one last time. Let's get this out of the way first, Disney did something really special with these figures that is head and shoulders (literally at 10”) above anything that Hasbro is pushing out; FOR THIS PRICE. Are they perfect? Heck no. However they do come with solid sculpting, well crafted soft goods and a good amount of articulation, all for $45 (but I got most of mine sale for $15). I am sad that the line looks to be dead, but given that most of them needed to be cleared out on sale, it makes sense.

As for Krennic, his has the distinction of being the only male character WITHOUT a helmet and sculpted hair, which looks pretty good. I REALLY like his uniform as the crisp white tunic and cape is a stark contrast to the typical boring grey and reminds me of Admiral Thrawn. He comes with a few extra fists, a blaster and a few... thermal detonators? I suppose it is Star Wars and kids do need something to play with, but seems a bit much fire power for a guy in his position.

Additionally, and this is something that I just realized, the line is comprised of 7 figures in total; 4 Imperials (Kylo, Vader, Death Trooper and Krennic) and 3 Rebels (Rey, Leia, and Jyn). This must have been on purpose right? I suppose it begs the question, why are all the girls good and the guys bad? I’m not going to open a can of worms here, so I will just say that the line was probably expected to continue and had multiple figures planed with the male villain ratio being unintentional. Besides, Kylo and Vader are still totally amazing figures. As an aside, how cool would a Saw Gerrera figure have been?

Pros: Amazing non-typical white tunic and cape, good accessories, articulation and likeness.

Cons: Krennic isn’t exactly a super fun character for kids (target audience) and while I appreciate the figure as a whole, I feel that there were about 100 other characters that I would have liked in the line instead.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #230
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

112-2
Mattel- The Dark Knight Returns: Joker.

Remember like 10 years ago with Mcfarlane toys were in full production with their various Spawn lines and each figure would be really gruesome, with blood, guts and frightening imagery? Those were some pretty messed up things to sell at Toys R Us. Now I must have gotten soft over the years, but I find this Joker and his Batarang through the eye head sculpt to be BANANAS crazy to be selling in a toyline. I mean, sure it is based on a beloved, yet gritty, Batman comic and it is fairly accurate to the source material, but lets not forget where these are being sold and to whom might be picking them up. I suppose that Joker in a white suit, does not really scream “hey kids, I’m a super fun action figure!” next to the likes of Batman and Superman, but the odds are that there is some Granny who bought their grandchild a Batman and Joker figure for their birthday and will either have scared a kid for life, or created a fan for life… I’m kind of hoping the latter.

Pros: Nice sculpt that is true to the source material, ok amount of articulation considering the bulky suit and it being a Mattel figure. Ballsy inclusion of the batarang in the eye head sculpt.

Cons: To paraphrase a line from one of my cinematic heroes “This belongs in a comic store!” seriously Mattel, drop the licence or just focus on the kids market. The ship has sailed on the collector market for Mattel and the higher end or more unique figures could be better done by DC Collectables without out your lackluster trash flooding the market.