ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Canadian Action Figure News

Old 04-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Hantei
Master of the Universe
Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo - April 26th - 28th, 2013

The annual Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo starts tomorrow at the BMO Centre.

Specials Guests include Carrie Fisher, Gillian Anderson, Nathan Fillion, Stan Lee, "Weird Al" Yankovic, plus tons more! Unfortunately, all passes are sold out and none will be for sale on the grounds. For those with tickets you may want to stop by the Big Four Building today between 4pm - 8pm to get your badge and wristbands.

Visit CCEE's website for more details on the event!
http://www.calgaryexpo.com/
Attached Images

Hantei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
Robimus
Super Moderator
Re: Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo - April 26th - 28th, 2013

Ian McDiarmid is still going I believe.

Emperor Palpatine himself doesn't do many convention appearances so be sure to take advantage if you can.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Hantei
Master of the Universe

So, I went for all 3 days. They certainly managed lines and volume much better than last year. No entry issues like last, we could enter and re-enter as we pleased. Crowding wasn't a big a problem, thanks to the increased space allotted. Sunday took a bit of a turn for the worst though, supposedly there were a limited number of tickets on sale for the day (online only). Which increased the wait times to get in, and added to the congestion to the panels (the best ones were on Sunday: X-Files, Game of Thrones, Nathan Fillion, Walking Dead...).

Ian McDiarmid, he's looks pretty good. But $90-95 for a signature, and similar price for a photo op. Yea, too much.

Out of all the celebrities there Norman Reedus consistently had the longest line-ups. Supposedly he was late for everything he was scheduled in (photo ops, panels), and couldn't even make it for the Walking Dead panel. We left at closing on Sunday, and he was still there signing autographs with the line as ridiculously long as it was at the start of the day. Insane, this guy is committed to his fans.

David Finch, I couldn't believe how long it took for me to get anything signed by him. It seemed like every other person in line was buying a sketch from him, which in turn meant I had to wait an additional 20 minutes or so before my turn came. It was ridiculous. Though I understand he's drawing big bucks for doing them, it's just annoying for guys in the line-up who just want his autograph. I think I must line-up for about 2+ hours, and there only about 5-8 people in front of me.

Arthur Suydam, haha, this was smart of him. In order to get him to sign your stuff you had to buy a print ($20 each). But hey, he said he would signed as many items as you wanted (good thing I brought a stack of my marvel zombies, probably the only chance I get).

Let's see, also got some signatures from Omar Dogan, Jim Zubavich, Adam Warren, Camilla d'Errico, Joe Benitz, Adam Hughes, and Mark Brooks.

Bulk of my money went to the photo op and signature with Stan Lee again (hey, this may be his last year!). Plus some t-shirts from stylinonline (boy, those were expensive).

Just curious, but does anyone else find the vendors for this sort of thing overprice like crazy? I saw one vendor asking $55 for an MU Nova. Some were selling older ML's for $30-50. Another had Play Arts Kai Batman Arkham City stuff for $90 (ridiculous, as there was another vendor selling the same thing for about half that). It's funny, we made a pass-by on the last day at the last hour and you still see their overpriced merchandise there with no reductions. I mean what was the point of bringing them, and having priced that high, if you couldn't sell the thing?

Overall, pretty good show this year. I'm interested in seeing what guests they'll be able to draw in for next year.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Most Comic Cons the figures are overpriced since they pay a ton for their booths.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Toy Gremlin
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantei View Post
David Finch, I couldn't believe how long it took for me to get anything signed by him. It seemed like every other person in line was buying a sketch from him, which in turn meant I had to wait an additional 20 minutes or so before my turn came. It was ridiculous. Though I understand he's drawing big bucks for doing them, it's just annoying for guys in the line-up who just want his autograph. I think I must line-up for about 2+ hours, and there only about 5-8 people in front of me.
Man, waiting 2+ hours just to get your stuff signed kind of sucks. I'm kind of surprised they didn't have someone ask the people in the lineup whether they wanted a sketch or just an autograph. Then have a certain number of those who wanted the autographs to go get their stuff signed before the next sketch started.

Quote:
Let's see, also got some signatures from Omar Dogan, Jim Zubavich, Adam Warren, Camilla d'Errico, Joe Benitz, Adam Hughes, and Mark Brooks.
That's awesome!

Quote:
Bulk of my money went to the photo op and signature with Stan Lee again (hey, this may be his last year!). Plus some t-shirts from stylinonline (boy, those were expensive).
Nice! What did you have Stan Lee sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
Most Comic Cons the figures are overpriced since they pay a ton for their booths.
So true!
Toy Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
Robimus
Super Moderator

Suydam makes a mean display.

Myself, I've always felt some self imposed obligation to buy a print off an artist that I'm getting a signature(s) from.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
Hantei
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
I guess that's understandable, but at the same time, when it's priced so high that it doesn't even sell? I mean, why even bother then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Gremlin View Post
Man, waiting 2+ hours just to get your stuff signed kind of sucks. I'm kind of surprised they didn't have someone ask the people in the lineup whether they wanted a sketch or just an autograph. Then have a certain number of those who wanted the autographs to go get their stuff signed before the next sketch started.
Unfortunately, there wasn't a volunteer around for him at the time I was waiting. It would have been nice to have little organization to get people to go on their way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Gremlin View Post
Nice! What did you have Stan Lee sign?
Haha, just the photo we took with him. Didn't have anything of value, so I thought it may as well have been something priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Suydam makes a mean display.

Myself, I've always felt some self imposed obligation to buy a print off an artist that I'm getting a signature(s) from.
I did buy a print from Omar, but only because we had such a great chat that I felt compelled to buy something from him. I kind of regret not buying some prints from Adam Hughes and Mark Brooks, they had some great art there.

One thing I do regret is not taking more photos, especially with the artists I had stuff signed by. I should have had one taken with David Finch for making me wait so long, lol.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Toy Gremlin
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Unfortunately, there wasn't a volunteer around for him at the time I was waiting. It would have been nice to have little organization to get people to go on their way.
Yeah, I totally agree!

Quote:
Haha, just the photo we took with him. Didn't have anything of value, so I thought it may as well have been something priceless.
Nice!

Quote:
One thing I do regret is not taking more photos, especially with the artists I had stuff signed by. I should have had one taken with David Finch for making me wait so long, lol.
Yeah, that would have been awesome!
Toy Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary expo