ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #21
Robimus
Super Moderator
Re: Possibility That Target Will Look To Cease Canadian Operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
I'm sorry but that is incorrect, the Government would definitely have a say in ensuring that Wal-Mart didn't own too much of the pie, why else do you think they stopped Sobeys from owning too many Safeway locations? Trust me the government has a say in how retail store chains liquidate their assets to avoid monopolistic control.

I'm certain Target might try to close some locations, the least profitable ones, however I doubt they could just shut down piecemeal and sell off everything to Wal-Mart like that article is implying.

Target wants to close its stores because they are losing money then Target will close its stores because they are losing money. All of them if they want. What I'm saying is if there is no pie for Walmart to own to much of then the Government has no say.

Government might be able to stop them from selling to Walmart, but they don't have any control of the basic operations of the company. I don't know what Walmart would do with any of the Winnipeg locations anyway - maybe Grant Park doesn't have a nearby store, but the others all have an existing Walmarts within minutes of the Target locations.

As we see today, looks like it is a done deal.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!

Last edited by Robimus; 01-15-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #22
Napseeker
Dark Knight

It's a bad day to be an adult collector in Canada... while Target didn't always have much, they did actually have some stuff that I would buy when my local TRU or Walmart were totally dry. I mourn their passing... now bring back Zellers or fill the space with Walmart or a Marshalls.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #23
Scrapper6
Cylon Centurion

So much for finding anymore Target exclusives in Canada. I am utterly frustrated at the monumental cockup this presents as with TRU battling against Wal-Mart and nowhere else to shop for on-demand latest products in some areas of retailing I foresee Wal-Mart growing overinflated egos.

I am certainly not thrilled that my options for figures with the way distribution has been going in Canada has shrunk.

Although this could mean huge clearances to get rid of existing stock... Similar to how Zellers wanted all of their product gone. I mean they can't very well just re-package it and re-sell it at Target in the US. The logistics of that must be really tricky.

And now we've got that huge white elephant near Polo Park to try and sell some other retailer on. Just great.
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #24
barfallo
Agent of Shield

Target anouned in a blog today that they are leaving Canada - http://business.financialpost.com/20...-orderly-exit/ or http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/targ...tion-1.2901618

Last edited by barfallo; 01-15-2015 at 02:08 PM.
barfallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #25
tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
It's a bad day to be an adult collector in Canada... while Target didn't always have much, they did actually have some stuff that I would buy when my local TRU or Walmart were totally dry. I mourn their passing... now bring back Zellers or fill the space with Walmart or a Marshalls.
HBC isn't going to bring Zellers back, they were losing money when they sold them off to Target. As for Marshalls they're already in Canada and don't seem to interested in mall locations.

Maybe Macys or Kohls but after how Target performed I doubt any of them will be in any sort of hurry.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #26
Hantei
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
Heard about this on the radio this morning. Boy, that was fast. It hasn't even been 5 years. I'm guessing the aggressive push to open as many stores as quickly as they could probably didn't help. It's actually quite a shock that they'd give up so soon.

This really stinks. The prices were pretty good, especially when it came to sales and clearances. Haha, I remember back in the summer they had a $10 video game blow out, and a lot of them were new releases too ($10 for GTAV!). They also had BOGO free for CDs during one week... And yea, now there's the loss of Target exclusives too. Some nice stuff when it came to blurays.

I was hoping they'd come around with toys for the new waves of marvel infinite and legends. I wonder if there's any chance they'll still stock new stuff... Well, I guess it's time to lurk for some killer clearance prices.
Hantei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:52 AM   #27
FETT1
Agent of Shield

Quote:
ZELLERS is gone...I believe it will be WALFART on every flippin corner in the future ...
FETT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #28
Napseeker
Dark Knight

I wouldn't mind a Walmart on every corner... better than a giant empty space where once a retail superpower resided.

Without some kind of popular anchor store in those malls, a lot of those smaller businesses will suffer greatly in the end. I wouldn't even be going to my mall if it hadn't been for Zellers/Target being there (and then of course you wind up eating lunch in the food court, buying lotto tickets, checking out the clothing items on sale at the smaller storefronts, etc).
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #29
FETT1
Agent of Shield

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a Walmart on every corner... better than a giant empty space where once a retail superpower resided.

Without some kind of popular anchor store in those malls, a lot of those smaller businesses will suffer greatly in the end. I wouldn't even be going to my mall if it hadn't been for Zellers/Target being there (and then of course you wind up eating lunch in the food court, buying lotto tickets, checking out the clothing items on sale at the smaller storefronts, etc).
Yeah I hear ya Nap...but Walfart has many stand alone stores already...and unlike yourself I' m not a Mall fan ...back in the day though when TOYS AND WHEELS ..and Hans Christen toys and TOPS AND TOYS were around it was awesome...and yes the tacos at the ol food court were awesome too !!... But times have changed in many respects and its better with some competition and having different selection .
I have no reason why ...but I feel really bad for many of those Target folks about to lose their jobs ....

Peace

FETT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #30
cobralegion
Decepticon

Terrible news...now all we have is Walmart and TRU. So if they decide not to carry something we will only have online now. Feel bad for the 18,000 out of work especially friends who went through this less then 2 years ago with Zellers. 25,000 jobs wasted with that move. Miss the days of multiple place to find figures..Woolco, Woodwards, Kresges, Eatons, Consumers Distributing, Zellers, The Bay(yeah even they once had lots of toys) Mcleods, Toys and Wheels, Tops in Toys, Sears etc. 80's and 90's best time to collect.

Last edited by cobralegion; 01-16-2015 at 03:01 PM.
cobralegion is offline   Reply With Quote