ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #641
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #642
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

390-2
Playmates- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic: Rocksteady.

I’m coming up to the end of my TMNT figure backlog and given that I have little interest in the new series, it looks as though this might be it for my turtle collection. I’m ok with that though as if I am being honest I have been ‘out’ of TMNT for a while. If I could find a decent set of the Revoltech nick turtles I may bite, but I don’t think they are getting any cheaper. At any rate I am happy to end this run on a high note with these really great TMNT classic figures that Playmates released a while ago.

Pros: I really love the design and sculpt of these classic figures and was ecstatic that Playmates released a 80’s Cartoon version of Shredder’s henchmen. Overall Rocksteady has a fantastic sculpt, an ok amount of articulation for the time and a good amount of accessories including a massive gun, a machete and a manhole cover stand.

Cons: I recognize that this figure was produced a few years ago and it was not the norm, but I feel like ankle tilts would have made this good figure an amazing figure. Also, I’m a bit concerned about the plastic quality as it developed the “plastic dust” right in the package. It cleans right off, but makes you wonder what kind of plastic would break down like that.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #643
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

391-2
Hasbro- Transformers Titans Return: Triggerhappy

Can we all just agree that this figure is straight up bananas? Firstly, he is an homage to the G1 Decepticon Targetmaster Triggerhappy, but this version is a Headmaster. So why would a Headmaster have a gun themed name? Like I get that Transformer fans will clamor for anything that is a homage to G1, but this is a stretch. Secondly his vehicle mode is like 80 percent gun. I mean, he’s practically more gun than spacecraft. Lastly and perhaps most strange: He’s kind of an awesome figure…

Pros: Looks great in both modes, lots of fun to fiddle with, good transformation with a lot of usable articulation, a decent transformation and has tons of play value. He may have been one of my favorites if I got this guy when I was 10.

Cons: I understand the Headmaster gimmick was the thing for this series, but why not give him a little Targetmaster buddy instead of the head?

Old 07-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #644
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 07-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #645
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

392-2
McFarlane Toys- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Harry Potter

Continuing my look at all the Harry Potter themed rides and attractions at the various Universal Studios Parks around the world. Previous thoughts can be found at review 324-2 & 337-2.

Before I get started I have to make an addendum to my first review as plans have changed. At the time of this writing I was supposed to be quite literally packing my bags and travelling down south to Florida for a long awaited and planned vacation where I was going to experience the newest ride at The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter: Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure. Unfortunately due to the Global Pandemic that we are all currently in the grasp of, these plans were cancelled and my hopes to culminate these reviews with my take on the Hagrid’s were crushed. Oh well, I still have a number of these HP toys to open and maybe we will be able to still make it out to Florida in the coming months. Anyways….

3rd up for Wizarding World attractions is a family coaster called “The Flight of the Hippogriff”, but should be called “I waited in line for that?”

For people who have “taken the flight” know that as compared to EVERY OTHER RIDE in Universal Studios Islands of Adventure this off the shelf mini coaster does not make the grade. That said, these little coasters are fun for the little ones that are not quite ready for the bigger rides, but Universal should have added more theming or experiences to plus up a very forgettable experience. For Example, Disneyworld’s newest coaster The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is also a family coaster that has mild thrills and a great fist coaster experience for young riders, but also has an in-depth story and a fantastic dark ride element with animatronics that work to make the experience more enjoyable for all riders. Between the two there is just no comparison and I feel that Universal should work to plus this ride up with a more elaborate experience.

Pros: Much like with Ron, Harry Potter has an overall decent sculpt with a detailed outfit as he wore in the final Battle of Hogwarts, has the typical 22 points of articulation, a wand (which I have not confirmed is based on his original one from Ollivander’s Wand Shop or the one he acquired throughout the events of “The Deathly Hallows”) and a very detailed Stag patronus with removable antlers.

Cons: While I’m getting used to McFarlane’s articulation scheme, I still have issues with the ball jointed ankles. Also, I’m not sure what is with toy companies and their inability to capture Harry Potter’s likeness, but it is rough. I suppose it doesn’t help that he has the neck of a giraffe…

Old 07-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #646
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

393-2
Disney Toybox- Marvel: Antman

Another prime example of how great these Toybox figures can be and this one is even better given that he could be actual size considering his ability to shrink! That said, I think this was a bit of a missed opportunity to make this a rider figure, complete with a giant flying ant!

Pros: Overall Antman has a great sculpt in the Infinity asthenic, a good amount of unhindered articulation and comes with a little Wasp figure.

Cons: I would have preferred if they included a little Ant figure instead of the mini Wasp. Yes the Wasp is cool, but it doesn’t really add much to the playability of the figure.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #647
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

394-2
Hasbro- Transformers: Studio Series: Jazz

Movie Jazz certainly got the short end of the stick hey? Not only was he the first Autobot killed in action on earth, thanks to Megatron literally ripping him into two, but he had to spend his short time on Earth as a Pontiac Solstice; I don’t know which is worse! Obviously I’m just kidding and by all accounts the Pontiac Solstice was a decent car for time, It’s just never appealed to me personally and I don’t think I was a good fit for Jazz. I suppose that it is partially due to my disappointment for Jazz not being a Porsche, but I also don’t feel that Jazz would have picked such, and forgive me, a girly car? Outside of that, it still does not make sense that Jazz would be smaller than Bumblebee, but I suppose that comes down to a bigger issue of GMC sponsorship dictating the design choices over the preferable historical desires of some fans. It’s also relevant that the Solstice died a relatively quick death in the market. It’s not clear if this had a direct correlation to Jazz’s untimely departure in the movie, but I’m sure it did not help.

Pros: I have a few different Movie Jazz figures in my collection, but I was excited to pick up this Studio Series version as I feel the line has done a great job with updates and for the most part I think they did a good job with Jazz. He has a nice detailed sculpt, a good amount of articulation that allows for some fun poses, a relatively fun transformation and a vehicle mode that matches the source material quite nicely.

Cons: I’m not sure if this is a design choice for greater pose-ability, but the shins don’t really hold into place making him seem somewhat bowlegged. Also I am unable to pin the pieces together in vehicle mode leaving a number of gaps in the panels.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #648
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 07-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #649
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

395-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legend: Iron Fist

5 years ago I had very little understanding as to whom Iron Fist was and 5 years later, now that I have multiple figures in my collection, I still have no clue. Typically I would caulk that up to Hasbro’s BAF pieces included with even the most obscure characters, but this one actually piqued my interest. Let’s be honest, not since the He-Man figure Fisto has a figure come with so many fist related accoutrements including the really cool wrapped fists, translucent fists and new to Marvel Legend figures, fireball fist effects and I have to think that for fans of the character that this is the best version to date.

Pros: In truth, Iron Fist is a great figure with everything that you would want in Marvel Legends: A great sculpt that captures his traditional look, amazing articulation that allows for all the kung fu-y poses and some phenomenal accessories including 2 different fists and some flame hand effects.

Cons: The only downside to the figure is the lack of non-fist hands. It doesn’t ruin the figure at all, but just would have been nice to have a choppy hand or a grabby hand included.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #650
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

396-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Dormammu

So I thought it would be fun practice to run down each figure that was part of the completed BAF to see how the wave was as a whole.
1. Astral Projection Dr. Strange. A really cool figure on paper, but was not really excited very well. Would have been better with a cape and/or magical effects.
2. Comic Dr. Strange. A slight upgrade from the Hulkbuster BAF Strange with some sculpt changes and a really nice comic accurate cape.
3. Brother Voodoo. I love this figure for how detailed and interesting it is. Would love to see more of this character and is one of the stand outs of this wave.
4. Karl Mordo. Nice to have this character from the movie, but there were at least 4 other characters from the movie that I would have preferred.
5. Movie Dr. Strange. Basically a colored version of the Astral Projection figure, but with a cape and magic effects. Continues to be the best MCU version of this character to date.
6. Enchantress. A nice head sculpt, but doesn’t make up for a rather boring figure that cannot stand and with the same old recycled magic effects.
7. Nico. Like Brother Voodoo Nico is a gem in this wave that really makes me want to uncover more about her.
8. Iron Fist. Solid figure with awesome accessories and effects. Well worth the duplicate character.

Pros: I love Dormammu for his sheer size and really showcases the benefits of Hasbro’s BAF practice as there would be little chance of him getting a solo release. Outside of his size, he has fantastic head sculpt and body design that captures his look from the comics.

Cons: It is beyond annoying how all this work went in to sculpting a beast of a figure, with multiple included points of LEG articulation, just to have it immobilized due to a hard plastic skirt that ruins any chances for a dynamic pose; so frustrating. Also, I’m not sure what the point of the flaming heads is? He can’t really hold them and they don’t really go anywhere, so what is the point?