ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 04-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #591
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:15 AM   #592
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

355-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Scarlet Spider

I’m continuing my multipart look as to why Starlord is NOT to blame for allowing Thanos’s rise to power as featured in the MCU Infinity War movie with today’s review. Have a look at reviews 338-2, 339-2, 342-2 and 349-2 for previous thoughts.

So we are getting into the nitty-gritty of discussing how Thanos collected these stones and while she paid the ultimate price in the end, I feel like Gamora should have a good portion of the blame. Consider that she was A. the one who actually found the location of the Soul stone. B. Told Nebula that she knew the whereabouts of the Soul Stone C. Gave in to Thanos’ demands while he was torturing Nebula by telling him the location and D. Not killing herself in time to prevent Thanos from sacrificing something that he loved in favor of belittling him. Way to screw the universe Gamora.

Pros: I was comic adjacent (Mostly buying Image at that time) when the Spider Clone story was initially run, so I’m not entirely clear the specifics, but for better or worse, the character of Ben Reilly has stuck it out as a fairly big Marvel player since then. On the surface, I have always dug the first look of Scarlet Spider and am glad I was able to pick up an updated version of him. Overall the mould does well to capture the look including his signature blue hoodie, pouches and wrist shooters and has a good amount of articulation to satisfy most posing requirements. Outside of that he comes with a number of spare “spidey” hands to emulate all sorts of action.

Cons: Overall Scarlet Spiderman ticks all the boxes for me, but I could see people wanting this version on the much preferred Pizza Spiderman body. That said, they might need to do some finagling with the hoodie as it would certainly affect the overall look.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:13 PM   #593
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

356-2
Hasbro- Transformers Combiner Wars: Hotspot

I’m going to be 100% honest, until 3 minutes ago from writing this review, I thought this guys name was Hosehead; shows you how much room in my head that I have left for things as apparently trivial as made up names for action figures, or maybe I’m getting old. That said, it not like I’m completely off given that there IS a Transformers by the name of Hosehead, but give that his name works as a ‘Head’ based, double entendres, it should have been a clue that maybe it wasn’t the same guy. In any case they ARE both Firetrucks and Autobots so cut me some slack.

Pros: OMG another retool Transformers figure making this the 3rd in a row; quite the run and despite me opening him later on, Hotshop does have the distinction of being the first releases prior to his mould twin Onslaught. I still really appreciate the figure and think Hasbro did a pretty good job with retooling both molds so they feel like unique figures. Outside of the other things I still like, (nice articulation, fun transformation, cool weapons) but I also love the paint scheme as he reminds me of the weird Emergency vehicles that you see in other countries. Like, a blue fire truck? That makes no sense, but I love it!

Cons: I’m not sure if I mentioned it in my Onslaught review, but his robot mode is rather flat and boxy. Also the ladder backpack is a bit unwieldy and can get in the way and affect the articulation.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #594
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 05-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #595
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

357-2
Hasbro- GI Joe Renegades: Tunnel Rat

I’m continuing to review each episode of the short lived G.I. Joe Renegades show; see review 275-2, 302-2 & 330-2 for previous thoughts.

EP – 3 Rage: Basic Premise: While still hiding from the Authorities, Flint and Cobra, the team uncovers a ploy by MARS industries (facilitated by a Mask- less Destro) to take advantage of down on their luck veterans to test a new weapon. After both Tunnel Rat and Roadblock succumb to the weaponized rage inducing effects, the team infiltrate the facility, save their friends and take out Destro and his right hand man (Scrap Iron) at the same time.

Thoughts: This is quite the progressive episode with a very mature look at the current state of Vets in the country which is a surprising change from the seemingly “pro war” sentiment from the original Joe series. The story works well as a 3rd EP given that they are still not totally trusting of each other, but still uncovering things about this new Joe world. I love the addition of some new supporting characters including Scrap Iron and Steeler, but not sure if their inclusion is little more than a nod to the fans.

Pros: There is a lot to love with this Tunnel Rat figure and as compared to Both Duke and Scarlett, feel like a more complete figure with a good portion of accessories that round out the character, but more on that later. Tunnel Rat shares the same unique look from Renegades and transfers relatively well to the standard 3.75 realistic figure look and has are some nice details with his bandana, overalls bib (worn in the funky 90’s style which I can get behind) and various leg pouches. Accessory wise he comes with a bunch of accessories including some weapons, camping gear, a Laptop computer and even a little robot friend that I assume he is uses for Bomb detonation.

Cons: In the series Tunnel Rat looks to be a bit of a younger guy and the face sculpt makes him look a bit older. Also, while I don’t want to complain, there are a few accessories that look to just be thrown in with no info as to what they are; like would it kill them to include some instructions for idiots like me?

Old 05-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #596
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

358-2
DC Collectibles- The New Batman Adventures: Batgirl

Continuing my quest to re-watch all the DC Animated features to date and give some thoughts regarding 3 key touchpoints: Animation Style, Voice Acting & Story. These are really just rough notes as I watched the movie and might not make a whole lot of sense unless you have recently watched it. See 290-2, 303-2, 318-2, 331-2 & 344-2 for my previous instalments.

Superman Batman: Public Enemies 2009

Animation Style- I’m not going to bury the lead: Superman Batman: Public Enemies has the worst animated style of all the DC Animated Features to date. And that is not to say that the animation is terrible or the designs are silly, it’s just not my favorite. In fact I can get behind the idea that they used most of the classic costumes for all the heros and Villians and everything looks very bright and colorful, but it just all looks a bit cheap; almost like they were using the same animation model for all the superheroes. For instance, all the hero's bodies look the same, almost like Warner Brothers grabbed a bunch of DC figures from the Mattel Multiverse line and used that as animated models with the same height, stature and muscles.
Voice acting: Growing up with the Timm- DC Animated Universe it is nice to hear all the voice actors take on their well known roles including Kevin Convoy and Batman, Tim Daly as Superman and Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor. Outside of the the main cast some notable voices are Lavar Burton (Star Trek) as Black Lightning, Corey Burton (voice over royalty) as Captain Marvel and oddly enough Allison Mack (Smallville) who recently was charged in conjunction with her part in running a Los Angelas sex cult.
Story- Much like a lot of these DC Animated movies, the plot seems to be pretty dense with a lot of things happening in quick order. This makes sense given that a number of different comic stories, released over a period of months, have been used to develop the screenplay making it all seem very rushed. At the root, Public Enemies is a good guy framed to look bad and has to punch his way into the good graces of public perception. Overall I loved the inclusion of all the other heros and villians that don’t often make the cut of the newer releases. For instance, this is the first and only appearance, that I know of anyways, of Power Girl in a DC Animated Feature. Another random offity is the inclusion of 80’s StarFire and Katana. Lastly and way more out of left field, was the inclusion of the half Superman, half Batman space mission rocket that is being used to blow the planet killing asteroid up; it straight up bananas, makes zero sense and kinda kills the movie for me due to being so ridiculous, but that is how comics go sometimes.

Pros: Despite my current frustrations with them, I feel that DC Collectibles deserves a lot of credit for their animated line as I think it ticks a lot of boxes for most animated series fans. Batgirl is nicely sculpted, has a good amount of character specific accessories and a decent amount of articulation allowing for some decent poses.

Cons: Outside of the typical issues with the Animated line (fragile feeling, terrible design stand) , I am frustrated that her hair restricts her head movement, something that is somewhat fitting given that most movie Batman costumes can’t move their head, but I digress, it's annoying.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #597
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

359-2
Hasbro- Fall of Cybertron: Starscream

One of the many things that left an impression on me from the very first 10 minutes of the first episode of the Generation 1 Transformers cartoon was the design of what eventually became to be known as the Seekers. Something about a pyramid or tent cruising around the futuristic landscape of Cybertron really left an impression on me and I do not think that I am the only one given all the figures released with this similar aesthetic. Unfortunately Fall of Cybertron did not go full pyramid on this Cybertron version of Starscream, but there are certainly some similarities that can’t be overlooked.

Pros: Overall Starscream is a nice looking figure in both vehicle and robot mode, has a relatively simple transformation and comes with two rather massive weapons.

Cons: The articulation scheme is a bit wonky and doesn’t allow for many fluid poses. Also, because of his shoulder intakes his peripheral vision would be all by blocked and he really can only look straight ahead.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #598
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 05-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #599
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

360-2
Disney Toybox- Pixar: Bo Peep

Rating of worst to best of the a the Pixar movies continued; see review 205-2, 219-2, 231-2, 240-2, 264-2, 270-2, 285-2, 292-2, 297-2, 303-2, 313-2, 320-2, 325-2, 333-2, 341-2 & 347-2 for the previous instalments:

4. Monsters Inc.

The final four Pixar films are pretty well interchangeable in my mind as they are all amazing and hold a very special place in my heart, but the incredible thing is that they are all unique from one another and all very imaginative in their own right. Take Monsters Inc. for example. Sure, at the root, MI is a story about two friends dealing with change and adversity, but the world that they choose to tell this tale is just so mind-blowingly different. For instance, who had the idea to have the Monsters work as “Scare Energy” employees responsible for mining the screams of children by freighting them? It’s just such a brilliant idea and something that I do not think I have seen before. Outside of the fun and exciting story I feel that the voice cast of John Goodman and Billy Crystal is darn near perfect and who can forget Steve Buscemi as Randal? Lastly and I think mileage MAY vary on this, but Monsters Inc. remains one of my favorite Pixar movies for the simple fact that when my son was a baby he would watch this movie nonstop. At the time it was really wearing thin, but I will always treasure those moments and everything that reminds me of that time.

Pros: I held off from picking up Bo Peep for a bit as I was not entirely excided for her release. I mean, I didn’t really have any issues with her character in the latest Toy Story, but a doll in her doubloons is not something that I felt compelled to pick up until she was on sale. That said, she’s pretty fricken great. She has a nice sculpt that captures her new cavalier look from Toy Story 4 complete with arm “fixing” bandage, comes with her trademark sheep herding Shepherds Crook tool that she effectively uses as a weapon and some really decent articulation that allows for a good range of movement and pose-ability.

Cons: I feel like they could have included her little officer friend from the movie as the package feels a bit light.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #600
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

361-2
Jazwares- Fortnite: Wild Card Joker.

Oh man, I am just so addicted to these Jazwares figures. I’m not even kidding: Even If you have no idea what a Fornite is, or have no point of reference to the series, but ARE a fan of 6 inch action figures, do yourself a favor and look past the thirtieth Captain America Marvel Legend figure to pick up any one of the Jazwares that speaks to you as you will not be disappointed. I strongly feel that Hasbro needs to take notice of what these guys are doing with sculpt, articulation and accessories because some equivalently priced figures are just not measuring up anymore.

Pros: Wild Card Joker features a beautiful, detailed sculpt, over 40 points of articulation (per the package anyway) and a ton of accessories including a handgun, a crow bar, a briefcase backpack and a RPG that will keep Wild Card busy for hours. Lastly, and I’m sure I have said this before, I love how they handle face/head swaps. Having an integrated mask for each permutation of the figure allows you to change up the character or the expression without having to strain to pop off the head.

Cons: Unfortunately it’s not all roses with these Jazwares figures. Unfortunately I continue to struggle posing with the articulated figures as they do not hold on to the weapons very well at all. Looking at the new batch of figures it doesn’t look like they have moved away from it, so it may just be something that I have to get used to. And while I appreciate the RPG, I would have also liked some type of machine gun to be included. Thankfully there is a weapon pack being released that I take from if needed.