ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 08:27 AM   #121
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here

DC Collectibles- Justice league: Gods and Monsters- Wonder Woman

Ok, last of the ‘Holy Trinity’ from Bruce Timm’s”God and Monsters” and while I have nothing against the character per se, it seems like a bit of a stretch for her to be Wonder Woman in this altered timeline. Don't get me wrong, she is a total badass with a great backstory, but it doesn't really explain why the original Diana, the Amazonian, is not this world's Wonder Woman. For those who have not seen the movie (what's the matter with you be the way?? It's great) WW is actually Bekka of the New Gods fame. Her trust issues are very legitimate steaming from a super traumatic event involving the men in her past. I suppose this is similar to the amazonians history, but as Diana was shielded from it, she doesn't have the same context as to why men=bad, only what her Mother had told her. To be clear, I like the character, I’m just looking for a reason why the Amazon’s aren't around.

The figure is striking and looks like it was plucked right from the cartoon. I love the overall design and athletic of the costume as it looks very ‘New Gods’ like. Of the three she is the only one with a usable accessory; her sword capable of creating boom tubes, that looks pretty great in hand.

Overall I like the figure and continue to enjoy the “Bruce Timm” aesthetic. I sort of wish that they would include more characters from the movie, but can understand why they kept with just the title characters; maybe they can develop more for a sequel?

Pros- great sculpt, sword accessory

Cons- DC collectible fragileness

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #122
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

DC Collectibles- Icons: Batman

Batman is perhaps one of the most iconic Comic book creations in popular culture so it is fitting that he is the first release of the DC Collectibles Icon series; A series that I had some pretty high hopes for as I had always wanted decent versions of the various DC heroes for my collection. Yes there were Mattel's DC collection of figures that were pretty great, but I was late to the party and distribution sucked so there was no way I could get the ones I really wanted. I'm pretty happy with the current and upcoming releases, but I just hope that they will continue to produce them. DC has a pretty deep bench of characters and there is a lot of cool opportunity to give some love to unique characters in the right way.

The figure itself is much smaller than I originally anticipated, but I'm not really saying that's a bad thing as I don't mix my figures between different series. The big draw for me was the articulation that these figures boasted. Multiple joints allowing for natural movement and poses were promised and for the most part I think achieved. An integrated thigh swivel would have been nice, even if it was hidden by the upper knee, but the only upper leg movement is in the hip joint which does limit some poses.

Batman has a soft plastic cap that also gets in the way of some of the articulation. Honestly not sure what the solution would be as cloth caps never look right either. Maybe 2 caps, like are included with the first animated series? At any rate, not a deal breaker by any stretch.

Apparently this figure is based on a the ‘Batman- Last Rites’ story arc and is unique as it could be the only toy of Dick Grayson in the bat suit; which it totally awesome in my opinion. There is no official word if this is the case, but looking at the physique of the figure there is little doubt: it is much more lean than a typical Bruce Wayne Bats. I also appreciate the older look of the costume: blue, grey with yellow accents. I also dig the pockets on the utility belt. Just a nice clean looking figure. Accessory wise he has a few extra hands, including a odd moulded grapple gun and a few bat-a-rangs.

Overall I really like this figure, but it just feels like something is missing for me to love it. Truthfully I think I have been so spoiled with Marvel Legends level articulation that I thought that Icons would support the same. I suppose Icons do boast a more unique parts vs repaints of the same figure, so that's the trade off that I have to be willing to live with.

Overall I'm happy with Batman and the Icons line in general and hope that they continue for years to come. Maybe we will be lucky to have some running changes going forward, but as long as the detail remains, I'll keep buying them.

Pros: incredible sculpt, nice accessories, good range of motion.

Cons: Some limited articulation. Cape hinders poses.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 AM   #123
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Speed Demon

I feel like if I was a bad guy and wanted a superpower, speed would be a great asset. Hell, I doubt you would ever get caught unless you decided to show off. Marvels non-mutant answer to the Reverse Flash comes in the form of Speed Demon. I know absolutely nothing about the character and honestly don't care as he just seems like a cheap knock off. That said I did search him out and found that he was featured on an episode of the recent Avengers cartoon. He had a two bit part and was played off as a throwaway background character, but I suppose it counts for something.

Funny enough, I actually like the figure. The head sculpt is nicely done to give the character a nice little smirk, showing what I would assume as an mischievous side. He also comes with a set of ‘running’ hands that look great for action poses. or obvious karate opportunities. However In what can only be considered the most bizarre accessory to date, he also comes with the head of crime boss Silvermane on a remote controlled car without any rhyme nor reason, just… because. Maybe there is a bigger picture that I'm missing, but is just so bizarre.

Overall Speed Demon is a neat toy based on a meh character that I was forced to buy in a wave to get the toys that I really wanted. It's ok, but hardly a favourite.

Pros: neat running hands, good head sculpt

Cons: unknown character, bizarre accessory choice with no context whatsoever.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #124
Orchix
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Speed Demon

Funny enough, I actually like the figure. The head sculpt is nicely done to give the character a nice little smirk, showing what I would assume as an mischievous side. He also comes with a set of ‘running’ hands that look great for action poses. or obvious karate opportunities. However In what can only be considered the most bizarre accessory to date, he also comes with the head of crime boss Silvermane on a remote controlled car without any rhyme nor reason, just… because. Maybe there is a bigger picture that I'm missing, but is just so bizarre.

Pros: neat running hands, good head sculpt

Cons: unknown character, bizarre accessory choice with no context whatsoever.
The Silvermane head on a remote controlled car is from the Superior Foes of Spider-man comic book. Both Speed Demon and Beetle (from this wave) are based on their appearances in that book. Granted it wasn't a really popular book so the reference might be lost on people, but I think it's cool for Hasbro to do something like that.
Orchix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #125
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

It really is a nice touch and I really want to track it down now.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #126
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Hasbro- Marvel Legend: Scourge

Much like many of the other Marvel villains I am not very familiar with Scourge and had very little interest in pickng him u; that is until a review on The Toyark basically sold me on him as being a 6" GI Joe figure. That was enough to seal the deal for me and I picked him up at first chance.

Reading through his back story it blows me away that Hasbro would not only produce such an obscure character, but also do it so well. This was pointed out elsewhere, but the fact that the included weapons are of the same colour skeem as Demolition Man (and alias for the character) is a crazy cool detail that most people (including myself) wouldn't even notice. Someone at Hasbro really stepped it up with this.

I love the sculpt and give credit the Hasbro for including functional weapon holsters, I really wish this was the norm for these figures. Articulation is pretty standard for the ML line and the weapons are great.

Overall an excellent figure and one of my favourite MLs to date.

Pros: Great sculpt, Excellect accessories, working holsters, attention to detail and character backstory.

Cons: None

Old 08-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #127
Orchix
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Hasbro- Marvel Legend: Scourge

Overall an excellent figure and one of my favourite MLs to date.

Pros: Great sculpt, Excellect accessories, working holsters, attention to detail and character backstory.

Cons: None
Been loving your reviews so far, keep it up! Just wanted to point out that the body sculpt is actually from the Marvel Legends ASM2 Electro. So kudos to Hasbro for finding a reuse of that particular mold and using it so well.
Orchix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #128
Wintermute
Master of the Universe

Scourge is indeed an awesome figure!

Great accessories and he can hold them convincingly. My only minor gripe is that the holster for his pistol is on the side where his hand is not molded with a trigger finger. But a minor nit.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #129
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchix View Post
Been loving your reviews so far, keep it up! Just wanted to point out that the body sculpt is actually from the Marvel Legends ASM2 Electro. So kudos to Hasbro for finding a reuse of that particular mold and using it so well.
Oh wow, you think I would have noticed that seeing as I just literally reviewed Electro. I agree that it is a decent body sculpt so it helps that a lot.
Thanks for the kind words- I'm trying to be more consistent with these over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
Scourge is indeed an awesome figure!

Great accessories and he can hold them convincingly. My only minor gripe is that the holster for his pistol is on the side where his hand is not molded with a trigger finger. But a minor nit.
That is a really good catch, It would be nice if Hasbro included both left and right trigger hands, heaven knows they have them somewhere....
Old 09-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #130
joshimus
Convention Exclusive

Finally got Hot Toys Nick Fury
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote