ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 08-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #431
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

245-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Star Wars: Zeb Orrelios

Rating of worst to best of the Star Wars movies continued; see reviews 215-2, 218-2, 221-2 & 241-2 for the previous instalments:

Star Wars Movie Rating #9. Star Wars Ep 3- Revenge of the Sith: The Bad

2 things really stick out for me. Firstly I hated Padmae's role in this film. In the previous movies she had proven herself a strong willed, capable bad-ass that was basically now tethered to the sideline, forced to watch her story unfold around her. I realize that she was prego, but that doesn't mean she needs to sit in her suite crying for half the movie; is this the same queen who repelled up the side of the palace in EP 1 to reclaim her throne? Sure doesn't seem like it. Or the same tough warrior who saved herself from death by an alien cat in EP 2? Hell no. Basically it seemed as though Lucas wanted to use her as a prop in Anakin's downfall rather than an active player in the movie narrative which I feel is a bit of a misstep. Thankfully she gets some redemption from the Clone Wars cartoon series that takes place prior to EP3, but still showcases her potential.
The second bad thing was the timeline. I touched on it a bit in my comments from EP2, but I feel that the events which transpired in the trilogy that we were presented with should have been fit into EP 1 and Ep 2, with the fall of Anakin and subsequent rise of Vaber being the climatic point and cliff hanger of EP 2. Then EP 3 would be the rise of Vader, his subsequet quest to hunt down and kill the Jedi, his murder of Padme (post birth of the Twins with him not knowing) and his final battle with Obi Wan that left him permenantly scared thus becoming a more machine than man. To be honest it really bothers me that in the finale of EP 3 Vader looks just as we know him to look. I feel like it would have been really cool if we saw halm in some prototype suit that looked similar, but not quite the finished product. Ah well, As far as Lucas was concerned the story was done and everything (almost) fit into the timeline, ready for Ep4.
Pros: Kudos to Lucasfilm (or whoever was the showrunner for Star Wars Rebels) for including the initial concept look of Chewbacca as a new character in Rebels. I suppose you could argue that it’s not 100% the same, but it's undeniable that it has that overall look that was featured in Ralph Mccuarie’s concept art. AS for the figure, it of course has that fantastic Disney Infinity look that I love and features a great pose, oozing with character.
Cons: We’ll probably never see a “Toy Box” version of this figure and doubtful that Hasbro will do a 6” Black Series version, so this is likely it for Zeb in my collection, also its part of a cancelled video game and has no articulation.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #432
DanM
Aquanaut

It would be sad if they don't get to Zeb in the Black Series. He's the only one left from the Rebels main cast to do.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #433
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
It would be sad if they don't get to Zeb in the Black Series. He's the only one left from the Rebels main cast to do.
Yes, it would be a total bummer. I would assume they’d get to it eventually, perhaps after all the hype from EP9 dies down. Maybe Black Series should start doing some BAFs?
Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #434
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

246-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Dirge

Rating of worst to best of the Transformers movies continued; see review 208-2, 213-2, 217-2, 223-2, 226-2, 230-2, 234-2, 239-2 & 243-2 for previous instalments:

Transformers Movie Rating #4: Transformers: Age of Extinction: The Good.

Age Of Extinction is a bit of a tough one and I’m even questioning it’s position on this list above Dark of the Moon. I think the challenge for me on this is that there are some really good parts that I like about this movie, but also some equally terrible parts that really make it somewhat tough to watch.

I will say that I appreciated the attempted character reboot shifting of the human lead to Mark Walberg, someone who was probably miscast as a robotics inventor, but could certainly carry the action heavy franchise. Not saying that Shia was a poor choice, as he’s a much better actor, but Walberg plays much more confident and tough than Labouf ever could. Infact, the continued casting of some other legitimately good actors like Kelsey Grammer and Stanly Tucci in some rather large parts is a plus and I was surprised to see Thomas Lennon from Reno 911 as he’s also featured in some other comedic stuff I like.

As for the story, it was nice to see that the events from the previous movie had bled into AOE with the general public having some clear disdain for the Transformers. Given what had transpired in Chicago I feel that it would be a believable reaction to an attack of that magnitude.

Finally, and this is usually where my enjoyingment comes down to in these movies, was the introduction of new Transformers characters. Crosshairs looked cool (but was a bit of an a-hole) Drift had potential IF they relied a bit more on his comic persona instead of simply making him into an asian caricature, Lockdown was a FANTASTIC villain choice as I have loved him since Transformers Animated and finally Hound (who I really think should have been called Bulkhead) who is easily my favorite of the movie Autobots; not small part due to his voice actor being John Goodman. I will also give some credit to the movie for introducing the ever popular Dinobots despite again leaving out my favorite Stegosaurus Snarl.

Pros; As my favorite of the seekers (only because I had his as a kid) I knew I was going to like this figure. Couple that with the near perfect “classics” design that was introduced with generations Starscream all those years ago and you have a great figure in my book. Great in both modes, good articulation and a fantastic representation of the Generation 1 character.

Cons: Honestly, my only issue is that you can see his face in jet mode. I suppose it is true to the original figure, but still could have easily been fixed on this release.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #435
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

247-2
Disney Toy Box- Star Wars: Princess Leia

Rating of worst to best of the Star Wars movies continued; see reviews 215-2, 218-2, 221-2, 241-2 & 245-2 for the previous instalments:

Star Wars Movie Rating #9. Star Wars Ep 3- Revenge of the Sith: The Ugly

The Ugly- I'll just go ahead and say it: order 66 sucked. There is no reason why all the Jedi knights, basically trained fighters with literal super powers, should have been killed off in a 10 minute montage. I recognize that they do need to be eliminated and some could have killed in this way, but as mentioned above, Vader should have been the one to hunt down ad kill all the Jedi’s over a longer period of time and we are just not talking the younglings.
I'll also add that I hated the ridiculous way that Padmae died. Giving up the "will to live" is not a thing. Not to be outdone was Vader's literal laugh out loud "nooooooo" moment which consequently happens at the same time really caps this movie off on a down note at a time when Star Wars future was not a certainty. I suppose some props should be given to Lucas for being able to tie it up in a way that we all recognized to be in EP 4, but the armchair writer/director just felt there was so much more potential here.
Pros; Overall nice looking figure featuring her classic white EP4 outfits, good head sculpt (that's honestly better than anything Hasbro has done) and her trademark blaster to take out those pesky Storm Troopers.
Cons: HARD PLASTIC SKIRT! What’s the point of having full leg articulation if it’s almost completely limited? So disappointing on a figure that could have been really cool.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #436
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

017-R
ReSaurus- Quake 2: Alien Stoogg Tank
Approx Release Date: 1998
Current price and availability: $48.00 https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1998-ReSauru...wAAOSwrxFdFkX1

Well this is an oldie but a goodie. Back in what I consider the Macfarlane age of collectables there were a handful of other companies trying their hand at toy production, often to mixed results. Not to say that ReSaures didn’t make a decent figure, but perhaps they chose the wrong piece of pop culture to work with thereby making the consistent releases a little difficult to keep up with. For example, how many Quake 2 figures could they possibly make? Incidentally I feel like Fortnight figures might be heading down the same road, but the reverberations will be huge given the sheer volume of figures that can be found everywhere. In their relatively short time, in addition to Quake 2, ReSaurus Toys were able to nab a few video game franchises including Street Fighter, Sonic and Crash Bandicoot and release a hand full of waves that I’m sure were popular with the collectors who were clamoring for them as they were not the type of pop culture that the big players like Hasbro or Mattle would have touched.

To be honest I can’t recall when or even where I picked up these figures (I got the whole series) and I’m not entirely sure why given that I never even played the game, but boy did they look cool. Alien Stogg Tank specifically is easily the best of the bunch as his sheer size, weight and amazing detail was well worth the $10-$15 that I probably picked him up for.

Pros: The Stoogg Tank is a very impressive figure. Firstly it’s extremely hefty and has some weight to it. Not to say that makes it a good toy, but given the current trend of hollowing out figures, it sure gives him a quality feel. Secondly, and this has much to do with this weight, but he’s a very tall figure. Keep in mind that he was not a build a figure or a more “deluxe” release, he cost the same as the other figures. Thirdly is the detail in the sculpt and paint: it is outstanding. There is organic material sculpted with mechanical appendages that have this great battle damaged look. Check out the working mechanical cogs under the removable panel on the thigh and the spring loaded ankle joints; there was no need for this at all except to give the figure a really cool look.

Cons: For the time this figure likely bested any MacFarlane figure, but similarly there were some short falls. The articulation is rather limited for the size thus making multiple poses a bit difficult. Also, for whatever reason, they decided to connect the neck rotation to the shoulder rocket launcher making him look where he aims. Problem is that both are fairly loose and always falls to the side.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #437
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

248-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Rocket Racoon

Rating of worst to best of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies continued; see review 207-2, 210-2, 216-2, 222-2, 228-2, 232-2, 233-2, 242-2 & 244-2 for the previous instalments.

Marvel Cinematic Universe Rating #13: Avengers: Age of Ultron.

I feel like in the general view/criticism of Avengers: Age of Ultron I’m missing something because I like the move just tine. It’s certainly not perfect and apparently the lowest Avengers movie on my list, but has a great deal of really enjoyable parts like the creation of Vision using the MInd stone and the fight sequence between the Hulk and Tony’s Hulkbuster armor. Infact one of my favorite sequences in all of the MCU is the setup of Mjolnir and who is worth to pick it up. Yes you get a little wobble from Captain America ( to be paid off later) but also the great squance with how they know to trust Vision. Some might see this as hokey, but I thought it was a clever way to get everyone together. I think one of the bigger criticisms is of the main villain Ultron, and I got to say that I agree. I guess I’m just over the “crazy Robot who takes over everything” storyline.but I suppose this is just Marvel version of it. Lastly this saw the intro of some other MCU characters that I dig: Claw is a nice addition and makes a big eventual impact on the forthcoming Black Panther movie, Scarlet Witch who is very powerful and interested that becomes a massive player in the next round of films and Quicksilver who was pretty well wasted in the film and probably could have stuck around for a few more movies. One quick note on the siblings; while I feel they were a nice addition to the MCU as a whole, I felt it was a bit of a cheat to bring them in and not introduce them as mutants; possibly their biggest character trait. I understand that there are legalities and movie rights, but it just seems like wasted potential. Also, and this is just a personal preference, I liked Fox’s version of Quicksilver better. Overall Avengers: Age of Ultron was able to integrate a number of big characters into one story, build on future stories while still being fun and enjoyable.

Pros: Marvel characters come in all shapes and sizes and it's really up to Hasbro to make a figure of a smaller stature worthwhile for purchase and I suppose a few extra weapons help a bit. I also commend them on the decent upper body articulation for such little joints.

Cons: Obviously the lack of leg articulation is a bummer and the sculpt doesn't really capture Rockets overall look very well. Also the other massive weapon is cool, but as you can see, it might be a bit too large for Rocket to work with.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #438
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

249-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Combiner Wars: Breakdown

Rating of worst to best of the Transformers movies continued; see review 208-2, 213-2, 217-2, 223-2, 226-2, 230-2, 234-2, 239-2, 243-2 & 246-2 for previous instalments:

Transformers Movie Rating #4: Transformers: Age of Extinction: The Bad

How long should a movie really be? I suppose there was a time when longer equalled better, but now is not that time and not every movie needs to be 2:30 hours to tell a story Problem is Age of Extinction has so much senseless, wasted times that it just feels bloated. For instance you could easily cut the scene with the real estate agent, the milk break on the roof in China (more on that later) and a good portion of that ridiculous “extreme” car chase jumping out of the building and down the skateboard ramp. Also, AOE did something that I thought was not entirely possible, make the Bayverse transformations perhaps even worse. I suppose there is some precedent set for it with the use of Nanobots mixed with Cybertronian technology, but I never really liked the wavelength inspired transformation that both Galvatron (ugh) and Stingray have as it’s just a total cheat, but likely makes the robot/car designs that much easier; thankfully it was only used for this movie

Pros: Breakdown was my favourite of the stunticons as a kid and I feel this figure does it justice for the most part. Matching his G1 look his vehicle is reminiscent of a cream colored Lamborghini with navy blue and red highlights. As with other combiner wars figures he has a decent amount of articulation and actually has a decent weapon that can be used as both a sword and blaster.

Cons: I can’t recall if I’ve seen this mould in previous Combiner Wars figures, but the robot mode, namely the lower hip and leg assembly is not great, requires a bit of fiddling with to get right and easily comes loose while posing the figure.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #439
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 08-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #440
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

250-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe- The Pursuit of Cobra- Steel Brigade: Stingray

I’ve mentioned it before in another GI Joe review so this might be familiar, but you might be wondering ‘Stingray? Who is Stingray?’ Well that’s what I call him because for all intensive purposes that who he is, in my mind anyways. If you were a kid in the late 80’s, who filled out the very official G.J. Joe personality questionnaire, sent it in with a number of Joe points and some money for shipping / handling, you may know this soldier, from the ranks of the very selective Steel Brigade team, by a different Code name. But because it’s me doing the review (and the figure is white) it’s a review of Stingray. I really wish I could find the official paper with my code name and personal file card (that I framed in a custom wood frame) but I’m sure it’s buried in my parents basement, if not a landfill. And while I can’t prove it, it was very clear that Stingray was an excellent member of the Joe team.

Pros: As with all the Joe figures of this era Stingray has a bunch of great accessories included the original backpack, M16 rifle. some newer pieces that would come in handy against Cobra and a removable helmet!

Cons: Some minor issues including hands that don’t hold the weapons and some limited articulation that makes using these weapons a bit difficult. I’ll also say that while I personally like the removable helmet, some collectors of colour might have been disappointed with a cacassikn Steel Brigade figure. Not sure what the solution would be as this figure is a general release, but still a valid point.