ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Canadian Action Figure News

Old 12-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
Robimus
Super Moderator
Marvin Mariano Q & A For Actionfigurenews.ca!

Actionfigurenews.ca is very pleased to announce this special interactive question and answer with freelance artist Marvin Mariano!

A freelance artist since 1997, Marvin has worked on high profile brands such as Transformers, GI Joe, Barbie and Star Wars. His list of clients include Hasbro, Mattel, Marvel Entertainment, DC Comics, Dreamworks LLC., 20th Century Fox, National Geographic, Lucasfilm and Lucas Licensing and many more.

Marvin has graciously donated his time leading into the holidays to come onboard the AFN website and answer questions for the members here in this exclusive interview!

Please welcome Marvin to the website and make him feel at home. Post your questions in this thread just as you would make a post in any other and they will be answered to the best of Marvin's ability!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yoda Transformer.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	2378  

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
Robimus
Super Moderator
Re: Marvin Mariano Q & A For Actionfigurenews.ca!

Those of you who frequent the many toy departments and stores across Canada may not have even realized that you've been looking at some toys who's concept designs are thanks to the creativity of Marvin.

Some of the more well known toys Marvin has done the concept work for the Star Wars Transformer Crossovers line, providing the designs for the characters of Yoda, the Tie Bomber and Magna Guard.

Marvin has also done work for Transformers, designing the character of Obsidian for Beast Machines, as well as the art for Transtech Cheetor & Starscream. As mentioned he's also done work for many other large brands from G.I.Joe to Indiana Jones!

Of late Marvin continues his freelance work for many companies while launching his own comic, The Legend of the Steel Breed, with writer James Bade.

Please note that while Marvin will do his best to answer questions there are questions that he may be unable to answer due to confidentiality agreements with Hasbro, Mattel, Lucasfilm and such.

So lets say hi to Marvin and let the questions begin!

Last edited by Robimus; 12-08-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
marvision prime
Marvision Prime

Wow Robimus, where did you get all these pics?. Haha, you're one resourceful dude. Thanks for the thread man. Ok, let's roll with the questions. (<---sorry but these smileys should look like Transformers!:P)
marvision prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
Robimus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvision prime View Post
Wow Robimus, where did you get all these pics?. Haha, you're one resourceful dude.
Call it um...creative borrowing.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
racerguy76
Agent of Shield
Re: Marvin Mariano Q &amp; A For Actionfigurenews.ca!

Hey Marvin, to start with thanks for taking the time to chat with some fans.

I recently pick up the TF Crossover Yoda and he quickly became a favorite of mine fron the line. I do have one question about him. He seems to be the only one with an organic head. What was the reasoning or process with choosing the organic head versus a more robotic looking head?
________
LESBIANS

Last edited by racerguy76; 05-15-2011 at 02:39 AM.
racerguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Pascal
Red Shirt

Yoda is definitely a favorite of mine. Which other SWTF figures have you worked on and which ones are you the most proud of and why?
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
jacobot
clone179

Love the Magnaguard... any more robot to vehicle transformations coming? ...Maybe you could pitch actual Transformers like Prime and Bumblebee crossing over as Star Wars vehicles?
jacobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
marvision prime
Marvision Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerguy76 View Post
Hey Marvin, to start with thanks for taking the time to chat with some fans.

I recently pick up the TF Crossover Yoda and he quickly became a favorite of mine fron the line. I do have one question about him. He seems to be the only one with an organic head. What was the reasoning or process with choosing the organic head versus a more robotic looking head?
Hey Racerguy awesome and thanks man! I'm glad you like. As for Yoda's head being organic, I actually only did two concept sketches of him. The first design resembled more like the animated Clone Wars version which really didn't look like a Transformer, but it was cute, haha. The second design is pretty much what you see now. I did put a lot more tech on his face. My art director from Hasbro had a couple of suggestions and input between the design process. It was a bit of a balancing act between Yoda's proportions and squishing all the Republic Shuttle's tech in there. I think it's kinda like Reverse engineering a toy that hasn't been built and really figure out how to merge the two. That's really the challenging part for me in this toy line. I give much respect to the Japanese toy engineers you know.
Going back to Yoda's head, say compared to the Anakin Y-Wing Bomber for example, his head still had to resemble Anakin. I think it just looks more organic because Yoda's shiny green colors really stands out too much
Old 12-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
marvision prime
Marvision Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Yoda is definitely a favorite of mine. Which other SWTF figures have you worked on and which ones are you the most proud of and why?
Yoda is definitely my favourite as well and proudest toy I've worked on because he gave me a real challenge man. Much to learn he says

I've been approached to do several SWTF figures, three have been released so far. The Tie Bomber/Tie Fighter Pilot was my first, second was the Magnaguard and third was Yoda. I've been scouring the net for any images of the other ones but only until those are officially released, I'll have to wait 'till then to tell you guys.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
marvision prime
Marvision Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobot View Post
Love the Magnaguard... any more robot to vehicle transformations coming? ...Maybe you could pitch actual Transformers like Prime and Bumblebee crossing over as Star Wars vehicles?
I'm not sure at this point but that's something I'd love to do man. But it might just be overkill because the integrity and uniqueness of these toys are being watered down I believe just because those two properties are so popular. The thing is you know that you're going to either piss a lot of hardcore fans or excite them when it come's to their beloved toys. I mean it's interesting to read some of the comments on this Crossovers toyline for example. Who knew it was going to be this popular, but at the same time I've met so many people who have never heard of Star Wars-Transformers. So yeah, it's a niche market but it's spreading and Hasbro I think are fully aware of where this is going. Hmmm..see you got me thinking..an Arcee/Princess Leia..oh geez hahaha.