ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 04-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #931
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

554-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: The Green Goblin.

Hot take coming in: Despite the Green Goblin being overused and quite frankly ruined in past Spiderman movies I really want to see how the MCU would handle him. And I’m not joking about being ruined. Harry Osborn’s Extreme snowboarding Goblin from Spiderman 3 was almost the worst thing about that movie (which is saying a lot) however is practically amazing compared to the brutal version featured at the end of The Amazing Spiderman 2. Like what the hell were they thinking? And while “Into the Spider-Verse” is one of the best Spiderman movies to date, I’ve never liked the Ultimate (Earth 1610) version of Goblin as a big hulking monster. Can’t a fan just get a green cladded, purple hat wearing psycho that fly’s around on a Goblin jet? Please?

Pros: This is a great figure overall. Fantastic sculpt with a lot of molded detail in the costume, a terrifyingly creepy head sculpt that is not too cartoony looking, extra accessories including a flaming pumpkin bomb, a pumpkin bomb purse and a decent looking goblin sky flyer.

Cons: Two minor things: 1. The pumpkin bomb doesn’t really fit into his hand very well and the feet don’t really fit into the flyer very well. I think the issue is with the limited movement on the ankle joints that sometimes happens with these Marvel Legends figures.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #932
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

555-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Orion Pax

This may sound a bit stupid coming from a fairly big fan of the Transformers, but I would REALLY like a more clear understanding of the Transformers universe. I’m good with the cartoons and movies, but I’m really lost when it comes to the comics, which is where a lot of these Generations figures are taking cues from. For instance, Orion Pax is supposed to be Optimus before he became Optimus, but I don’t recall this ever being a thing in the media that I’m familiar with. And it’s not like I have an issue with the idea of Prime having a life before leadership, in fact I think it would be a really cool series to do a G1 Prequel, but seeing as transformers seemingly live forever there it wouldn’t be much growth in the characters. I suppose it could be cool to see Orion Pax learning from Kup, but that would suppose all the current transformers are a lot younger than Prime and a bunch of older transformers died since he took over leadership which would make it very difficult to care about these characters.

Pros: Orion Pax is a really fantastic figure and one of the better transformers that I have opened in the last little bit. The design is great and actually looks like a younger version of Optimus Prime, the robot mode is nicely articulated that allows for a number of different poses, the transformation is fun and not too complicated and the vehicle mode has a nice Cybertronian design that looks enough like a truck. I also appreciate both the Axe and the blaster that are brilliant homages to the Generation 1 Optimus that we grow to love.

Cons: While I appreciate the weapon storage in vehicle mode, I wish it was something more than an axe and gun hanging off the side of the truck.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/UyfhrUKl.jpg[/img
Old 04-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #933
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 04-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #934
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

556-2
Mattel- DC Multiverse: Gotham By Gaslight: Batman.

I decided to take a break from reviewing the DC animated features for a bit while I deal with some backlog. I’ll be honest, it’s a lot quicker to open a figure and take a few pictures than to write a couple hundred word review on it. Not that I’m going to stop as I feel it’s a great outlet for my ramblings on the silly things I enjoy, but I have literally 100’s of toys that I’m excited to open, but can’t until I get through the stuff I’ve had in storage for years prior! At any rate, I’m really glad that McFarlane took over the DC licence because Mattel was clearly not willing to up their game to compete. Sure they were good, even great, 15 years ago, but compared to every other toy company making 6” figures at this price point, these really fall flat.

Pros: Full disclosure I am a big fan of the DC Animated movie Gotham By Gaslight and this figure was purely an impulse purchase to hit a free shipping total. I’ve gone on record saying that Mattel squandered the DC franchise and was unable to keep up with the likes of Hasbro, NECA and even the now defunct DC collectables, but will give credit where it is due: While GBG Batman is disappointing, it’s not an overly terrible figure. The sculpt works in comparison to the DC film and looks enough like the original comic to make the connection between the two. The details on the belt really stand out and kudos to Mattel for including the 4 dagger pockets, WITH removable daggers. Also BIG props for including a soft goods cape. This is something that all other companies really need to revise given the articulation constraints of hard plastic pieces. Lastly, as an improvement, I have to give Mattel credit for finally moving away from those boxy hip/leg joints that are present throughout the DC Multiverse line. Yes it was fine 10 years ago, but now just looks bad.

Cons: It’s so typical, one set forward with a soft goods cape, but two steps back with hard plastic shoulder pads that fully limit arm movement. I also really love the knives and pouches but why not provide a better moulded hand to hold them?

Old 04-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #935
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

557-2
Disney Toy Box- Pixar: Miguel

As with the DC Movie reviews, I’m putting a pin in the Disney movie reviews for the time being. There is just so much to discuss with every review that it’s taking too much time, but I’ll eventually get back to it. That said, I will say that if you have not watched the extremely amazing Pixar Film Coco, then what are you waiting for? It’s not a sequel, it’s not a remake and as far as I know, it’s not even based on a book. A truly unique story that is as touching as it is spectacular and a movie that I like more and more every time that I watch it. It’s on Disney Plus so there are really no excuses unless you cancel right after Mando season 2. Seriously though, it’s so worth your time.

Pros: I was really surprised when I saw that Toybox produced figures based on Pixar’s Coco, but I’m not complaining: I love this move and these characters. Sculpt is typical for Toybox figures, articulation is fair for a figure of this size and cost and the guitar accessory is a perfect add in. Extra credit for the detail on Miguel’s boots. Given that he comes from a family of shoe makers, I can see why it would be important to nail that detail.

Cons: Of course I’m always going to ask for more, but I would have loved added ankle tilts. Also, his guitar is a bit difficult to pose with so I wish they added a peg to affix it into place.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #936
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

558-2
Jazwares- Fortnite Legendary Series: Hellhound.

I mean… come on. Just look at this guy. How can the Jazwares haters look at a figure this unique, this articulated with this many accessories and still not get on board. Yes there are still some issues, but no different that Black Series lack of accessories, Marvel Legends constant mould reuse and GI Joe’s Nerf or nothing accessories. What’s holding you back? Is it that they are from Fortnite? I never played the game and outside of the package they just look like really fun toys.

Pros: As with the other interesting Jazwares Fortnite figures, Hellhound has a fantastic detailed mould, a really cool translucent flaming head sculpt. A nice array of realistic weapons, a unique looking pickaxe and too much articulation. If you are keeping score on the shoulder joint issues that I have been having with other Jazwares Fortnite figures, Hellhound’s joints were not too tight and did not break, so that’s a plus.

Cons: Ok, I said it in the Pros, but as with other Jazwares figures, Hellhound has the “super poseable” articulation that included finger joints that are more of a hindrance than helpful.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #937
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

559-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends- Marvel Studios 10 Years: X-Con Luis & Ghost.

Who would have thought that Luis, one of the biggest surprises of the MCU, would be so high on my list of figures to pick up in toy form? I mean, It certainly helps that he is a unique mould that is packed with another unique mould, Ghost, and neither received a single figure release in the regular line. What is with Ant Man movie figures that don’t warrant single figure releases? Happened with the super great Yellowjacket figure too. Maybe in time we will get an OG Ant-Man Michael Douglas in time!

Pros: X-Con Luis- When I first picked this 2 pack up I thought that I was getting yet another generic suit mould with a new head, but it appears that Luis is not quite as svelte as Tony Stark. That said, If I were to guess I think the legs and maybe the arms are the same, which is fine by me. I like the look and the little X Con detail, but I feel that the torso could have been a bit more uhh… chunky. The head sculpt is bang on though. Accessory wise he comes with the building/suitcase prop from the movie and his own big Ant.

Ghost- I love the design of Ghost and was happy that they made her own figure. The suit has lots of detail throughout, standard articulation for female moulds and an extra unmasked head/hood.

Cons: X-Con Luis: I feel he could have used a few more accessories or even a 3rd little Ant-Man figure from the school scene in the movie.

Ghost- Not sure what happened on her head sculpt, but between the terrible haircut and the full on white wash of a mixed raced actor, I’m happy that the masked head looks way better. Now that I mention it, Luis probably could have had a darker skin tone too.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #938
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 04-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #939
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

560-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Iceman.

When I was younger I used to watch the Spiderman and His Amazing Friends cartoon and loved to see Iceman whip around on his little self-made ice slide, just like Frozone in Pixar movie the Incredibles It was honestly my favorite part of the show. Fast forward a few decades and they FINALLY pulled this same slide off during the extremely amazing X Man: Days of Future past movie. Too bad it was a blink and you miss it kind of moment, but was awesome nevertheless. I’m not sure what the future of the X-Men or Iceman will be in the MCU, but as Iceman is one the original team members, you would think he might make an appearance sooner than later?

Pros: Iceman has a real slender translucent mould that achieves the ice-y look really well, a considerable amount of articulation for Spiderman level pose-ability and nice spiky head sculpt and a little ice detail on his back.

Cons: Overall the translucent plastic feels very gummy and somewhat fragile. Also, while I like the added effect on his back, I feel that he’s a bit on accessories and should have come with some additional ice effects.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #940
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

561-2
Hasbro- Transformers R.E.D.: Soundwave.

Both 2020 and 2021 continue to be interesting years. I mean sure, there have been a lot of crazy things that have, and continue to happen, but non-transforming Transformers? That might be a bridge too far! I mean, for some people as I clearly had no problem picking them up on sight. Funny thing was that I didn’t even know that these were slated to come out; they were a complete surprise to me when I checked my local Wal-Mart one day. Hell, I thought it was just a repackaged Siege or Netflix figure, but nope, just a figure, not unlike a Marvel Legend or Black Series release with the price to match. And I’ll put good money on the fact that if you asked me 15 years ago if I would happily have purchased a set of non-transforming Transformers, then the answer would have been “Hard Pass”. That said, over the years, with so many Transformers in the collection, it actually kind of makes sense, to a point. I’m not saying that these are better, but given that the majority of my Transformers collection is displayed in robot mode, what’s the need to have the second, third or even fourth mode that just negatively impact the robot mode? The added benefit of cartoon accuracy, character specific accessories and current style articulation helps too.

Pros: There is a lot to love about the Robot Enhanced Design Soundwave including a nicely detailed sculpt from the Generation 1 cartoon, a decent selection of accessories including some fists, his shoulder cannon, blaster and Laserbeak cassette tape that can actually fit into the opening chest panel. Articulation wise he is up there with any current 6” figure and can achieve a number of decent poses including an “eject” pose that is almost worth the cost of this figure alone.

Cons: Let’s be frank here: he doesn’t transform and while that’s the shtick of these RED figures, it’s still a bit odd. Outside of that, I don’t really have any other issues: it’s quite literally exactly what meets the eye.