ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 11-11-2021, 01:24 PM   #1151
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #1152
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

709-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: First Order Snowtrooper Officer

Well this is embarrassing, It took me a minute to remember when Snowtroopers were featured in The Force Awakens. I’m going to chalk it up to being overshadowed by some of the other, more emotional beats of that story, but it still seems odd to me that a fairly major section of the movie was just lost on me. This isn’t a slight against the sequels or a sign that the DIsney era is inferior, but rather more a commentary on how much Star Wars media there is; how can anyone keep up with it all? I mean, for the longest time there were the 3 main movies, some cartoons, comics, books and some TV movies; but really you could be considered a super fan by just knowing about the OG trilogy. I even remember clamoring for new Star Wars media for years and would go as far to read the terribly unoriginal cash grab novels that went into great detail on every character of the Cantina or Jabba's Palace. Like, how many of these background characters can be BOUNTY HUNTERS!?! Star Wars movies like Solo take a lot of heat for spelling out the history of Han Solo, but it’s really no different than what we were reading and presumably loving back in the day, so why the hate?

Pros: The original trilogy Snowtrooper remains to be one of my favorite Stormtrooper designs, however I don’t have the same love for the FO Snowtrooper. Don’t get me wrong, I do like the helmet design, but there is just something about it that looks bland. That's not really a knock against the figure though as it looks fine. The Commander shoulder pad is always a nice touch too. Articulation is Black Series standard and I appreciate the backpack and Blaster accessories.

Cons: In the package the Snowtrooper looks fun, but once you bust it out, the truth is that it really sucks as an action figure. I should say that everything waist up is fine, but everything south of the equator is beyond frustrating and for this toy collector, the reason is getting real old: Hard Plastic Skirt. That's right folks, nothing kills the action in “ACTION FIGURE” quite like a rigid piece of plastic that basically wraps around the FULLY ARTICULATED legs basically hindering all movement and poseability. Another issue that is becoming more prevalent on these figures is the limited movement on the ankle pitch making decent poses almost impossible. This should be a no brainer, homerun figure, but unfortunately it's just really frustrating.

Old 11-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #1153
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

710-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Gamora

Last Marvel Legend figure I touched on some thoughts regarding the new Disney+ What If? Series and figured it would be fun to go through the episodes one by one.

What If… Captain Carter Were the First Avenger.

Setting the table as it were for the first episode of this highly anticipated series, What If… Captain Carter Were the First Avenger basically tells a new story about what could have been had Peggy Made a different choice in where she decided to watch the Super Soldier experiment from. It’s an insignificant choice, but the change had a rather great impact on the outcome of pretty well everyone’s life.

It’s a very thought provoking premise that I’m sure we can all relate to in one form or another, but also brings up the idea of fate. For example, a few years back I got into a small accident; nothing major and no one was hurt, but I often wonder if I didn’t take the extra time to go to the bathroom prior to leaving, or even if I paused for a second to let someone cross in front of me in the parking lot, if that would have changed the outcome of the accident. Conventional wisdom would say yes of course, but who is to say that the driver of the car that hit me would not have made different decisions in his day that would have led to the accident in one form or another. I truly do not know what the answer is and could go crazy trying to figure it out, but its interesting nevertheless.

At any rate, according to the episode, Peggy’s decision to position herself where she did in the experiment led to Steve getting hurt and being sidelined from the experiment with Peggy Jumping in to receive the super soldier serum effectively turning her into a female Captain America, who is British. The story from there is VERY familiar with limited deviation from the original MCU movie save a very cool early IRONMAN suit helmed by a very scrawny Steve Rogers. And herein lies the problem: I found this story to be way too safe for the idea of “What If”. Don’t get me wrong, Steve Rogers losing the chance to be Captain America is a big deal, but do just make it a gender-band story with Captain Carter just doing everything that Steve did; make it crazy, make it wild; shake the who thing up to really show what effect one small decision can have on ones reality. The other thing that kind of bothered me was that they didn’t lean in on the USA / Great Britain thing. Sure, during the war they were allies, but do you really think that Great Britain would not have used this new Super Soldier to their advantage to take power over from the US? What would the post war GeoPolitical landscape have looked like if anyone but the US had a Super Soldier of their own? This is the stuff I want, not that a Woman can be a badass soldier (which has already been reflected in the MCU with all their great female heroes).

At any rate, the episode itself was fine. Very fast paced, has some great animation and most of the original voice cast which quite frankly is incredible in this day and age.

Pros: Everyone deserves a second chance and Hasbeo really nailed it with their second time up at bat for Gamora. Improvements all around from a better sculpt that better captures her overall look, cooler accessories including a gun, her iconic sword both extended and short versions with the smaller one fitting on her belt and of course a completely updated articulation scheme that is head and shoulders above her first release.

Cons: I’m really starting to hate the fashionable heels that designers give to female characters. Sure these are not stiletto heels or anything, but there is literally no benefit for her to wear these into combat outside of accentuating her butt.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #1154
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

711-2
Hasbro- Transformers R.E.D. Optimus Prime

So here?s the deal: I have a long history with the Transformers franchise and really appreciate the engineering, aesthetics and overall playability of most of the figures, but lately it?s just not doing it for me. Sure there are still a few of the new figures that I gravitate too, but given that I really just buy these figures for display purposes, it really doesn?t make sense to buy a figure with multiple modes. That is why I?ll continue to pick up these RED figures for as long as they make them. Sure they are much fun in the traditional sense, but for a collector interested in filling a shelf with dynamically posed action figures? They are perfect.

Pros: This is really the perfect looking robot mode, Optimus Prime. He has a fantastic cartoony sculpt, a good amount of articulation that allows for some pretty cool poses and a lot of great accessories including rifle, energy axe, a selection of fists and even the MATRIX of leadership!

Cons: Overall Prime feels a bit? cheap. Don?t get me wrong there is some heft to him, but the plastic feels like it may break down over time.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #1155
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 11-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #1156
Robimus
Super Moderator

But where did the trailer go?

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #1157
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

712-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Classified: Gung-Ho

Do you know what is great about G.I. Joe? Diversity. That?s right, growing up there was nothing better than pegs full of different characters all with their own looks and specialties. I suppose it?s a bit odd considering that historically armed forces aren?t known for their individuality, but that?s a whole other discussion. At any rate, there were so many options for kids who, like me, did not gravitate to the Dukes of the world and for me, one of the favorites was Gung-Ho. This may have something to do with the fact that he was also my first ever Joe figure as a kid, but I digress, a bad ass marine with a grenade launcher weapon? Sign me up. Unfortunately history has not been too keen on Gung-Ho given that he wasn?t featured in the 3 live action movies, nor in the recent Renegades cartoon, but I did get the 25th Anniversary figure that came out years ago now and of course the yet to be reviewed Sigma Six figure, which is why I was EXTREMELY pumped when I saw he was getting a Classified so early into the run. I am VERY hopeful that the line will continue to bring more of the side characters like Gung-Ho, but even if it ceases tomorrow, I?ll be happy that it lasted long enough for him to be produced.

Pros: As one of my favorite G.I. Joe figures you aren?t going to get a very objective review from me. That said, I legitimately feel this is another solid classified figure. Overall he has a great sculpt that harkens back to the original figure; a solid arsenal with 3 different rifles a bulky backpack to carry it all and a removable cap. I honestly could not have asked for much more.

Cons: Popular opinion has been mixed for Gung Ho and I get it. The colors are off from the original, the hat isn?t quite marine issue and the tattoo looks? a bit Nazi-ish, but it doesn?t really bother me (except the tattoo). There is also a fantastic opportunity for Hasbro to do an OG repaint release that would make a lot of collectors happy.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #1158
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 11-17-2021, 06:40 PM   #1159
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

713-2
DC Collectables- The New Batman Adventures: Firefly

One of the lesser utilized Batman villains; Firefly was featured in The New Batman Adventures cartoon titled Torch Song later in the run of the series and let me tell you, it was dark as hell, and I don?t mean that it just took place during the evening. No, it dealt with some pretty heavy subjects that would raise some eyebrows in this day and age, let alone the g-rated programs from our past. The basic premise is that Firefly is the alter ego of a jealous ex-boyfriend/stage roadie of a famous pop star and becomes so obsessed with her that he tries to murder her with copious amounts of fire. He makes the suit and develops some type I fire gel to help his in his quest, but at the end of the day, this is really just domestic abuse. I mean, as far as I recall, he didn?t want to rob any banks, just wanted to kill the girl who rejected him; crazy. Lucky for her, Batman and Batgirl were fans of her and were there to save the day multiple times, but even after he was defeated the episode ends with her showing the unmistakable signs of PTSD when a waiter lights a flamb? dish at a restaurant that she is dining at and the scene fads on her recoil / fright at the flames. Looking back, there are parts of BTAS that have not aged well, but kudos to them for featuring such a mature story line.

Pros: Lots to love on this Firefly release: fantastic animated style sculpt, good amount of articulation that is typical for the line and his signature fire gun.

Cons: Over the time of this line, it?s clear that DC Collectables have become cheaper with both articulation and accessories which is too bad considering Firefly should have been a hit. Is it too much to ask for some flame accessories? It?s literally his whole thing!

Old 11-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #1160
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

714-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: The Jackal.

First impression: Ewww? I mean what even is this thing?

Second impression after opening and fiddling with him: Ok, pretty cool looking detailed figure.

Third impression after reading more about the character?s history: ZOMG, what an amazing Spider-Man villain! Of course I always knew how important he was in developing the Spider-Man mythos and realized that he was directly responsible for the events of the SPIDER CLONE/Ben Riley story: DUH! Who didn?t? What a bunch of amateurs.

Pros: It was a bit of a mystery to me as to why Hasbro produced a mould of the Jackal, but it makes sense given his history within the Spider-Man mythos. Overall I?m really impressed with the detailed sculpt of the figure and love the articulation and poseability.

Cons: Detailed sculpt aside; having no accessories really drives me nuts. $30 should get you a bit more.