ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 07-07-2021, 12:17 PM   #1021
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

618-2
Diamond Select- Disney Story Exclusive: Boba Fett.

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Diamond Selects right now. On one hand they are producing figures for a lot of my favorite, under serviced franchises including Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Rocketeer and Lord of the Rings, but on the other hand their toys never really impress to the level that I feel they should. The Rocketeer could have been amazing, but they didn’t give him his trademark gun even though they included a hand for it, the swinging hammer on my Thor broke while in his hand and the Avatar figures are lacking in accessories, articulation and quite frankly fun. That said, figures like Boba Fett here give me real hope for my Jack Sparrow and the future LOTRs because this thing absolutely rocks.

Pros: Boba Fett could be one of the most iconic Star Wars characters to date so I'm sure it was important that the designers got every right in terms on costum details and for the most part I think it looks great. As with other Diamond figures, he’s a bit taller than the balck series figures, so he definitely won't scale with your standard 6” figure, but as a standalone figure I actually appreciate the bigger size as it allows for a bit more detail. Articulation is pretty standard to a typical Black series figure and allows for a number of solid poses. Accessory wise he’s packed with a lot of stuff including some spare hands, his signature blaster w/ laser effect, some blast effects for his rocket pack and an epic fire effect for his flame thrower.

Cons: Two minor things: 1. The Black series figure includes another side arm blaster that could be fit into a holster. I assume this is part of the costum and was not included on this version for some reason, but I can’t see any production pics that can confirm. 2. Diamond chose to make his little cape out of plastic. While it doesn’t really affect the figure, I just like the look of cloth, especially on a toy this size.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #1022
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

619-2
Mattel- Masters of the Universe Classics: Skeletor

I think this is the first MOTU figure that I have included in my evolving collection since I started way back in 1995 and very timely given that Skeletor was my first MOTU figure that I had when I was a kid; something that I thought was really special given that I NEVER got the main characters; only the lesser known, background characters, that looked cool in their own right, but were never featured prominently in the cartoon. That said, while we (my brother and I) had some MOTU figures and I watched the cartoon, it was never really our thing. I suppose the draw of GI Joe, Transformers and MASK was just too much for a pseudo medieval/sci-fi series to compete. I am happy that there has been a resurgence of sorts, what with new, improved classic toys and an upcoming series to boot: what a good time to be a MOTU fan!

Pros: Not going to bury the lead here, Classic MOTU Skeletor is legit awesome and accomplishes everything that a retro line should want: Fantastic sculpt that slightly improves on the original, excellent usable articulation that adds to the overall playability, but does not over do it, includes the same character specific accessories that everyone knows and loves and finally is priced appropriately for what it really is.

Cons: Honestly, the biggest issue surrounds Mattel and their inability to produce and distribute stock to meet demand. Seriously, how are they a profitable company?

Old 07-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #1023
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

620-2
Jazwares- Fortnite Legendary Series: Ragnarok

I’ve “played” with a lot of toys in my years and sometimes a figure comes along that just speaks to the kid in me; as if something about this toy sparks that part in my brain that just knows that If I were a kid again it would really appeal to me. I think it could be a blend of all the stuff I love about action figures: A fun / interesting looking figure with lots of detail, solid articulation with the ability to pull off a number of cool poses and great accessories that offer a ton of playability. Ragnarok just does this for me in a way that Spirit Iron Knife from Gi Joe Sigma Six and Ambush from GI Joe ARAH did it all those years ago when they were released as a collector and kid respectively.

Pros: Ragnarok has everything that I love about action figures. A detailed, interesting sculpt, a good amount of articulation that allows for multiple poses and a slough of super fun accessories that really adds to the overall playability of the figure. The other pro to this figure was that some lucky collectors were able to pick him up at Sunrise records for like twelve bucks which is an incredible deal.

Cons: The hand articulation continues to be a bit frustrating on this line. Outside of that, the figure is fantastic and highly recommended.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:43 PM   #1024
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 07-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #1025
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

621-2

Hasbro- Marvel Legends- Marvel Studios: Thor & Valkyrie

It’s weird to me that Valkyrie in the MCU was never given a proper name and while her toy box is labelled as such, it was never really even explained in the movies. Consider this: prior to Thor’s birth, Hela took on the Valkyrie and killed them all except for one, who went into hiding on the Grandmaster’s planet where she was known as Scrapper 142. After she met Thor during Thor Ragnarok, she presumably dropped the name Scrapper 142 and was just referred to as Valkyrie. After that point, she was not dusted, but lived on new Asgard taking care of the Asgardian refugees with Fat Thor when she was referred to as Valkyrie /angry girl, but does that make sense? I mean, the Valkyrie were a group of warriors with presumably different names. For example if you were in the Green Berets and for whatever reason all the other Green Berets were killed, would your name now be Green Beret? Perhaps there is some reasoning in the comic that she took over the name as a last remaining one, but it was certainly not spelled out in the MCU.

Pros: Thor- I have not cracked any Thor Ragnarok figures just yet so this is my first round with this mould and I got to say it’s very impressive. Nice detailed sculpt and costume from the movie, really impressive stature and a decent amount of articulation that is not hindered by capes etc. I also really appreciate the included lightning effects.

Valkyrie- Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is the only version of this Valkyrie mould to date? In any case, I love the overall look of this figure as they did such a nice job on the detailed sculpt for the character.

Cons: Thor- I’m not going to complain as it’s badass and I think it’s the sword that controls the bifrost, but I don’t recall Thor using this massive thing in the movie. And while I know they took away his hammer in the first 20 minutes of the movie, I really feel that he is lacking without it.

Valkyrie- As with other female Marvel Legends, Val is missing out on some much needed articulation. I’m also frustrated with the fact that her sword is super gummy and the sheath doesn’t attach anywhere on her costume.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #1026
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 07-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #1027
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

622-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Native Tatooiner (Tusken Raider)

You think that reason why the Native Tatooiner’s were so mad at Luke and other residents of Tatooine was because a Jedi committed murder on an entire tribe, including the women and children? Yeah, I would hold a grudge too. That’s not even mentioning the fact that they are called slurs like Sand People and Tusken Raider. How would you feel if you were named after the thing that the most powerful Jedi in the world hated? In fact, I have to give props to the Mandalorian for righting a few wrongs with the race of Native Tatooiners during the second session when he, Din Djarin, worked together with them to help a small town on Tatoonie fight a sand dragon; was a nice partnership to see.

Pros: The Native Tatooiner (Tusken Raider / Sand Person) is really a phenomenal figure and really stands above most of the other Star Wars Black Series figures. It has a fantastic sculpt, a nice combo of plastic and cloth robes that works really well for this size class. Articulation is standard Black Series fare and allows for a number of decent poses and comes with two perfect accessories including a rifle and a gaffi stick with some interchangeable ends.

Cons: Solid figure overall with really no downsides.

Old 07-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #1028
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

623-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Rouge

Rouge is such an iconic member of the X-Men team that was super popular in the 90’s and early 2000’s due to representation in the various cartoon series and live action movies, but hasn’t really been on the X forefront as of late. I suppose this is why this particular figure and subsequent “classic” re-release was super popular given that prior to this, Rogue had very limited toy options. I mean, I suppose that there was a Toy Biz release, however just look at what they released… JUST LOOK AT IT!!

Why would you need a new one?

Pros: So I’m usually really critical of Hasbro for their constant simple re-paints, especially on the female releases, however Rogue is simply a homerun. A fantastic head sculpt that really captures her look, a unique moulded jacket with other custom costume parts including boot and glove sleeves and they even included an ungloved hand to emulate “power taking abilities”.

Cons: Outside of the typical female mould articulation issues, the boot cuffs have some trouble staying in place.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #1029
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

624-2
McFarlane- DC Multiverse: Superman

So here’s a hot take: The character of Lois Lane is overused and receives far too much screen time on the various Superman shows, movies and cartoons and is the worst part of any Superman story. I’m not saying that she’s a bad character, but has evolved to be an essential part to his mythos in a way that no longer makes sense, especially after she learns of his secret identity. I kind of understand why she’s included in the early stages of each iteration given that her purpose is to create drama for Clark, be saved by Superman and potentially create some will they or won’t they sexual tension. However after she finds out his secret her role changes to some super powered reporter that works a bit like a partner fighting crime, except she’s still just a news reporter. Examples of this can be seen in Lois and Clark, Man of Steel and the newest CW series Superman and Lois. The other issue that I have with her inclusion is that even in series where Superman isn’t an American hero (RED SON) or not the strongest man in the world (Flashpoint Paradox) Lois plays an extremely pivotal role in each, as if the universe will always put her at the forefront of ever DC story as again some type of “un-super” hero. And while I’m not against her inclusion as a side character, I do not feel that the character of Superman will grow with the constant troupe of Lois Lane the partner.

Pros: I’ve heaped praise on McFarlane lately and for good reason: they are really killing it with all these new releases. If you STILL have misgivings about their ability to produce a decent line of DC figures then I strongly recommend that you pick up this “classic” Superman figure as he is legit amazing. Fantastic sculpt featuring the classic Superman look that we’ve all been missing since the new 52 shake up all those years ago, a decent articulation scheme that allows for some really nice poses, two sets of hands for flying and punching and finally a wicked stand for the ever important flight pose.

Cons: Two minor issues that I have with this Superman: 1. his neck joint is rather limited and he’s unable to look up while flying and he only has single jointed elbows.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #1030
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

625-2
Hasbro- Ghostbuster Plasma Series: Dr. Peter Venkman

So I tried, I really did. When these appeared on store shelves last year I was steadfast in my resolve that I was not going to collect another line of figures. I certainly did not need any more toys plus I already have a set of the Mattel Ghostbusters that I purchased for $4 at Dollarama that despite their issues, are actually decent figures, especially for that price and that is where the problem lies. I can easily leave a $30 toy on the pegs, but when I see that same figure for $8? Well let's just say that I'm only human.

I can still recall it: A snowy, cold Mid-December day at a packed Wal-Mart teeming with that still civil “christmas spirit” where I spotted one of those clearance rakes near the front registers that was packed with the typical junk from the toy isle with one exception: a lone Winston Zeddemore Plasma figure featured for the low low price of $8. Eight dollars is a steal as far as I’m concerned, but I know myself and understand that If I get one, I really have to get all 6 inorder to complete the BAF.

Fast forward a few weeks to Boxing Day where the best deals for a toy collector in Calgary are at Phoenix Comics (on 17th Ave SE) and my luck and patience paid off once again where the purveyor had marked down his entire inventory of Ghostbusters to $14; not $8, but well worth it to pick up Ray and Egon. This left 3 of the wave still unaccounted for and had to resort to Amazon for Dana (discounted) and Peter (full price). Gozer, the last piece of the puzzle, came once again from my local comic shop, but this time it was full price which hurt a bit, but given all the deals I’ve gotten over the years, I really can’t complain too much.

Was this a lot of work to compile an entire wave of figures that I could have easily picked up from Wal-Mart, or even shipped to my door from Amazon? Probably, but it’s not why I got into collecting. Where is the fun in a few mouse clicks? And while I've had to revert to the internet for many figures, I much prefer the hunt and would much rather a city wide tour of every Wal-Mart, Toys R Us and EB games if I knew that it would actually pay off.

Pros: I adore when Hasbro releases a new line of figures as it shows what they are capable of when they actually try. The level of detail, accessories and overall value of these newer lines including Overwatch, GI Joe Classified and of course Ghostbusters Plasma, is pretty darn amazing and really leaves the tired and played out Marvel Legends and Black Series lines in the dirt. Too bad that with the exception of GI Joe, these efforts are all for not and the figure lines are ended prematurely. THis is really just a long way of saying that I was really impressed with Venkamn given the solid sculpt, great articulation scheme and solid accessories. One rather impressive addition are the straps on the Proton packs. It seems like a small thing, but standard toy practice would be to just have it peg it into a hold on his back, but this is almost next level.

Cons: This is going to sound sso petty, but I have uncovered a new pet peeve present in action figures= ankle articulation that limits horizontal movement and hinders ability to move their toes up as it really messes with poses.