ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 03-24-2023, 02:42 PM   #1541
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:44 PM   #1542
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-44
Jazwares- Halo The Spartan Collection: Master Chief

I feel like Jazwares does not get the credit that it deserves and we as collectors should be doing more to support smaller toy manufacturers. Granted I understand that for people to want to by your action figures, people need to 1. like the intellectual property that the toy is based on and 2. know that you are actually making them. Take for instance this Halo Spartan series. Microsoft’s Halo has historically been a massive hit and should have many fans clamoring to pick up their favorite characters from the series, but I feel like maybe they are a little late to the punch on this. I mean, McFarlane already had the license and Halo isn’t exactly the video game powerhouse that it used to be. Jazwares did make the right move with their Fortnite Legendary series, but somehow lost the contract to Hasbro in a move that I’m still not sure was a net positive for either of the companies. The other issue is that Jazwares continues to be a bit of an outlier in the space, but perhaps that’s because no one is aware that they are actually making these figures given that their name, logo or brand have very little real-estate on this packaging. Seriously, I had to read the fine print to confirm it was actually Jazwares for this review. In a world of branding and marketing, how was this even possible?

Pros: I’m not a huge Halo fan, but thought this Master Chief looked like a cool toy, and I got to say I was not disappointed. Nice solid sculpt that matches the character nicely, a good amount of poses that can be achieved with a nice articulation scheme, some nice extra hands and two weapons from the series. Two interesting details, MC has some solid trigger finger discipline that I’ve never seen on a toy before and I will never not love a pointing figure.

Cons: Unfortunately I had a minor break on one of the wrist joints when I tried to pull it out of the forearm. Let that be a lesson: give your toys a bath after you open them.

Old 03-27-2023, 03:10 PM   #1543
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

899-2
DC Collectables: Batman The Animated Series: Talia Al Ghul

Ok, it was a complete coincidence that I opened Talia and The Baroness back to back and will say that while I hate the over sexualization of the latter, I have no issue with it for the former and boy do they not hold back. Now that is not to say that I like it, in fact she is one of the reasons why I think DC is run by a bunch of perverts, but at least she is consistent in her characterisation. She has sex appeal and uses it to control powerful men around her, including Batman/Bruce Wayne, it’s like part of her MO and something that I think was reflected perfectly in Batman: The Dark Knight rises. It’s also crazy to me that she basically drugged and took advantage of Bruce in order to have his child.

Pros: Man, these Batman: The Animated Series figures are really starting to drop off in terms of quality. The only really nice thing I have to say about Talia is that she has a nice sculpt.

Cons: Where to start. Bad articulation scheme, no holster for her weapon and hands that don’t even hold her gun straight. Also why are they including 3 pairs of hands? How did these go downhill so fast?

Old 03-28-2023, 12:31 AM   #1544
Robimus
Super Moderator

Baroness figure is fun, but her bike goes best with Tomax and Zamot

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:50 PM   #1545
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Baroness figure is fun, but her bike goes best with Tomax and Zamot
Yeah, it seemed like an odd choice to include her with this type of vehicle.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:50 PM   #1546
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

900-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: The Mighty Thor- Jane Foster

You know what? I?m just going to say: On the whole I liked Thor: Love and Thunder. Yes there were some unnecessarily silly parts (which I chalk up to Korg being the narrator for the story) and yes some things felt a bit cheap (assuming because of COVID protocols) but under all that is a really special story that I think was somewhat undercut by all the static. I?m sure I?ll go into more detail later about my ?longform thoughts? about the film later, but I will say that my favorite parts included Thor and Gorr dealing with loss, Jane?s battle with Cancer and of course the amazing final battle with the kids soundtracked by Guns N? Roses November Rain in the background: I mean, all really very serious stuff. My only wish would have been for a little less forced humor like the yelling goats, the now overdone theater show and sadly Zeus?s entire scene with that time used to show more of the heavy stuff. It?s almost too much of a course correction from all the earnest and serious Marvel stuff that phase 4 will be known for. And while I wouldn?t have wanted Thor to be ?replaced? by Jane going forward, I feel that the character deserved more than what Love and Thunder gave her.

Pros: Some Marvel Legends figures are just ?worth it? and The Mighty Thor is certainly one of them. Great detail with lots of unique parts, a good amount of articulation that allows for nice poses and of course her own Mjolnir hammer.

Cons: I would have loved some lightning effects, but overall I?m happy with what we got.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:42 PM   #1547
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

901-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Robin

I’ve said this in the past, but It’s amazing how much the world of Batman has changed since Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns was published. New Robins, Bat-Girls, Bat WOMEN, villains and a (not so new) kid added to the fold in a relatively short amount of time and I have to wonder what is next. For me, I’d like to see something new, something different and possibly life alternating to the world of Batman and my vote would be perhaps a marriage and new kid (or KIDS) between Dick Grayson / Bat Girl or Dick Grayson / Starfire. Is that something that already has happened? I don’t know, but I think it would be nice to see some new life in the franchise.

Pros: I like the overall presentation of this version of Robin and appreciate the overall sculpt and decent ability to pose. I really like that head sculpt too.

Cons: McFarlane is great at a lot of things, unfortunately one of them is not producing smaller scaled figures and I assume it has to do with not updating the joints given that they all retain the big ball joints that McFarlane is known for. And while I’m glad they maintain a good amount of articulation, minus an AB joint, it just makes the figure joints look ugly.

Old 04-04-2023, 04:43 PM   #1548
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

902-2
Toybiz- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers- Gondorian Ranger

Ugh. This should have been a review to celebrate how amazing another Toybiz Lord of the Rings figure is, but fate had different plans. Here is the deal: I was very close to finishing off my photos of this beautiful specimen when I tried to straighten his legs at the hips and heard an all too familiar “snap”. For whatever reason the minimal pressure that I used to work the hip ball joint was too much and it just gave out. I’m not even kidding when I say that I just sat there with the two pieces in my hand for a minute or two lamenting my luck. And while it has become rather commonplace for new figures to break, these Toybiz figures were made back in the days of relatively sturdier toys that were meant to be played with. And you know what makes this even worse? I even soaked this guy in a hot water bath prior to taking pictures, as it has become a normal thing to do on all figures. It’s really something that everyone should be doing to loosen up the joints, especially if the figures have been in storage. My only other recommendation would be to put them in a zip-lock bag to keep them dry, but I promise it really helps those sticky joints. As for a fix, well I was admittedly VERY frustrated at this point so I did a terrible glue gun job to stick his leg back on. Thankfully his tunic covers both the damage and the fix, but I’ll still know and will continue to be pissed off.

Pros: Toybiz at it again with nice sculpts, decent articulation not hindered by hard plastic and cool accessories that have appropriate on figure storage.

Cons: Would have been the perfect figure if not for an untimely break at the right hip joint. A broken toy is never a good thing.

Old 04-05-2023, 10:18 AM   #1549
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

903-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Director Krennic

Ben Mendelsohn has been a real busy fellow over the last number of years and while I didn?t know who he was at the time, he has left quite the impact on the projects that he has been a part of. Us non-Australian folks would have likely got our first taste of Mendelsohn in Chris Nolan?s Dark Knight Rises, but really came to light as the character featured in this review where he played a near perfect (the stuff with Vader was a bit meh) Imperial Director. Since then he was cast as the main antagonist in Ready Player One (which I was indifferent on) and the antagonist-switched-plot device in Captain Marvel (which I thought was completely fine). That is a lot of work, in a lot of franchises, for an unknown (by North American standards) actor. I do hope we see more of him in future MCU projects though. His portrayal of Talos (the Skrull) was one of the best parts of that movie.

Pros: Director Krennic is a pretty typical Black Series figure released to date: solid sculpt, decent articulation and a blaster with holster.

Cons: While I appreciate the cape, I wish it were made from cloth. I also am going to call it here that his legs will be used for the upcoming Indiana Jones Nazi figures.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:26 PM   #1550
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-45
Diamond Select- The Muppets: Sam the Eagle and Rizzo the Rat.

Well that is a wrap on the Diamond Select’s Muppets for me and if I’m being 100% honest I have to say that overall I’m impressed. Yes there are some minor mis-steps and issues with the line as a whole, but on the whole I really love this series and feel fortunate to have them in the collection. As with the actual Muppets, I’m not really sure what is on the horizon for these figures, but if Diamond Selects, or any other Toy Company, wants to take a stab at more I’ll gladly support it, as more Muppets are never a bad thing.

Pros: I love both Sam and Rizzo as supporting characters and love their respective roles in the Muppet 3D attraction at Disney Hollywood Studios. Both have nice sculpts and a decent amount of articulation to get some nice poses. I also appreciate that they included both the podium for Sam and a little stand for Rizzo.

Cons: Look at the back of the package and then the front view shot with all the accessories. Does it look like something is missing? Yeah, Diamond Select really pulled a Diamond Select by over promising and under delivering on the accessories with this one. Boo.