ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 08-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
Hoffman
Agent of Shield
Interest in H.A.C.K.S. and other Kickstarter / Indy 4" figures.

There seems be a fairly successful niche market of 4" figures being generated through Kickstarter these days. I'm wondering how much interest there is in these types of things. Boss Fight Studios' Vitruvian HACKS has probably been the most successful of these, to the point that they now have some distribution deals in place. There's also new stuff like the Zombie Labs, Eagle Force, etc. but those have all stayed within Kickstarter I think.

I've always been interested in these, but they always end up being cost-prohibitive, especially for 4" figures. Has anybody here backed or purchased any of these figures? What price would you be willing to pay for a 4" independent niche run figure?
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:40 AM   #2
cli1ck
Articulation Junkie
Re: Interest in H.A.C.K.S. and other Kickstarter / Indy 4" figures.

I have some of the gorgons from the first wave of Vitruvian HACKS. I would definitely be interested in purchasing more obscure designs in 1:18 scale. Your point about them ending up being cost prohibitive is right on the mark, I feel. The audience that collects 1:18 will most likely be buying cost effective/army building lines like Marvel Universe (which are ~$12), Star Wars, or GI Joes, which aren't very far off price wise. Rarely will you find someone willing to shell out $30 for an Acid Rain figure, or Revolmini, or in my case, HACKS. That being said, if I could pick up a kickstarted toyline from you guys at a con or something, I definitely would.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fcba34e6-0884-4521-9f79-20e206d3d4e3.jpg (80.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 07be1214-9dff-4341-8a79-55bb025b3d6f.jpg (94.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 AM   #3
Napseeker
Dark Knight

I have a friend who recently told me he's been buying the HACKS figures. I don't know how much he paid. If they were $15+tax tax I'd probably get a few (the high cost is primarily why I've avoid them, as if I need bodies to customize I can probably get some cheap MarvelU or GI Joe figures to use as donor figures).

The zombie set looks amazing though, it was hard to pass that one up since I love the civilian and labcoat type figures... I've got enough hero and trooper figures to last me a lifetime, I think having bystanders and researchers, etc are a great niche that can be filled if it can be done so affordably per figure (or maybe by buying an entire wave as a batch if that would make them cheaper).
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
Hoffman
Agent of Shield

Thanks for the feedback. I'm more interested in the possibility of carrying some of the existing products. It looks like the HACKS would have to retail for $30 CDN, which is definitely high but not unreasonable for people who are into independent run figures.

I just don't know how many people there are who would pay that much, and unfortunately they ship in really large case packs.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Napseeker
Dark Knight

How large are the case packs? What series can you order? If you put it out on the internet which ones you are considering e.g. the zombie set I mentioned, at least people can tell you if they'd commit to buying them or not once you get them in.

They know in advance that the cost is $30/figure (which sadly leaves me out, too high for my budget) so there are no surprises on their end, no sticker shock...
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
Hoffman
Agent of Shield

Well I just put Wave 1 of the Fantasy figures up for pre-order on the website. We'll give it a try and see how much interest there is in them moving forward.

$29.99 each or $114.99 for a set of 4.

https://www.canucktibles.ca/collecti...-figures/HACKS
Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 AM   #7
Sharkdog
Premium Blend

I BACKED the original Vitruvian HACKS line and have a few Spartans from them. They’re pretty solid figures, but not really in a size I collect, plus I tend to focus more on 1:12 / 6 inch scales figures from licensed properties.

Personally, I probably wouldn’t buy more figures from the line.

Then again, I did also back the Beasts of the Mesozoic Kickstarter and should have an articulated raptor on the way soon..
Sharkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
Hoffman
Agent of Shield

It does seem that 1:18 collectors have become more of a niche group, especially with stuff like GI Joe being in remission .

However a lot of these really successful Kickstarters are for 1:18, I think driven by army building and customization.

So the collectors are out there, it's just a matter of finding thr.m.