ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 06-28-2022, 01:02 PM   #1311
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

797-2
Toybiz- Lord of the Rings- The Return of the King: Legolas (with dagger throwing action)

Oof.

That was my genuine reaction when I saw this figure come out of the shipping box from eBay. To be clear that is not a slight on the seller given that I got exactly what I ordered, but what was in the package was not what was on the package. Seriously, it?s clearly a Legolas figure and he does have an approximation of ?dagger throwing action? but there is no way that he is Super poseable, nor does he have 15 points of articulation. Yeah, see that sticker on the top right of the plastic bubble? I sure did and that was what I wanted but was very disappointed to see a district lack of articulation points and many less that would constitute anything being super poseable. Hell, I?ve seen better articulated figures from 90?s McFarlane. Funny thing is that this sticker is standard on every release that I?ve seen; how did that happen from the factor and QC? I guess it was a different time back then; a time when toys were meant to be played with, had questionable action features (more on that) and were actually affordable.

Pros: Ok, I have to hand it to Toybiz on a really nice looking figure as the sculpt is dynamite. I also appreciate the earnest action feature and how many daggers were included.

Cons: When a sticker says super poseable with 15 points of articulation it should be super poseable with 15 years of articulation and Legolas certainly does not. Not for nothing, but the action feature doesn?t work either and it wasn?t for a lack of trying.

Action Shot!

https://i.imgur.com/Sddc5VLl.mp4
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:39 AM   #1312
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

798-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Old Man Logan

So, I made a mistake; a mistake that was easily fixable, but a mistake nevertheless. See, I put off watching the movie Logan for far too long and missed out on something that was extremely exceptional that should have been seen in the movie theater. I suppose I was in a bit of a Wolverine/X-Men funk given that X-Men Origins: Wolverine was terrible, X-Men: Apocalypse disappointing and The Wolverine was just fine, but I really should have believed the hype as it was very highly rated and for good reason. Sure it?s a comic book movie with all the super power fighting that you could want, but it was just so gritty and real at the same time that it would fit into a standard drama of the day with a huge amount of emotion that you just don?t normally get from action movies.

I suppose if I had any complaints, it would be that I would have liked to see some more of the legacy mutants and not just Logan and X-23, but it is in the future and hard to say how many would have survived. Perhaps there was a plan for more mutants in the planned, but shelved sequel, but who knows. Besides, is there really space for an X-Men movie in the FOX universe without Hugh Jackman Wolverine?

Pros: I?m 99% sure this is just the Wolverine mold from the Days of Future Past figure that was released with the Sentinel all those years ago, but with a new head sculpt and no gun/holster and that is fine by me as it?s great. Perfect looking mold for the character, great articulation and great looking claws.

Cons: Real basic figure considering there is no BAF piece included.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:32 PM   #1313
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

799-2
NECA- Back to the Future: Tales From Space Marty Mcfly

Ok, picking up where I left off when I willingly, yet inadvertently, wore clothing with some white nationalist symbols. You can find more to this story on the NECA Marty review # 597-2, the Biff Review #662-2 and the Doc Brown review #729.

?If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour? you?re going to see some serious shit?

Every fan of Back to the Future knows the speal and why not given that Doc Brown so memorably and eloquently said it himself in the first movie. Given that I was looking for a cool little nod to one of my favorite movies on my custom hat I thought perhaps I could incorporate Doc?s infamous line somehow. I could get past the pesky copyright rules, but still show my appreciation for the film and perhaps get a chuckle out of other BTTF fans. Turns out I may have unwittingly shown support for a few white nationalists along the way. Unfortunately a hat isn?t really a great place for sentences or quotes and the canvas is relatively small to work with so I thought I could reduce it to just the following 5 characters:88=SS. Stitch those next to the self designed Flux Capacitor and surely there would be some BTTF super fasn that would give me a knowing smile, or a hey that's clever, but nope, not a one. In fact, I had a grand total of one person ask me about my hat in 2 years and didn?t even really understand it AFTER I explained it. It appears that the experiment failed and while I still liked the design I thought I was best to move on to other headgear that was less questionable. Questionable how? you ask. Well, more on that in the next BTTF review.

Pros: NECA continues to impress with every figure that I open and while I am mindful of the QC issues that plague the certain figures, I just have not had those experiences. The sculpt is outstanding with lots of great detail throughout, the accessories, including a number of different hemet versions are amazing, and the articulation is decent enough for a few different poses.

Cons: The only thing that is odd on this figure is that the body section feels hollow. It?s difficult to explain, but the suit almost feels like a balloon over a harder plastic section. I?m not sure why they would not have just molded him as a solid piece.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:32 PM   #1314
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 07-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #1315
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

800-2
Hasbro- Marvel legends: Titus

As is tradition with these BAF figures, it?s time to have a look at each individual release that has made up each part of it.

Drax: Another Drax and fairly similar to the first GOTG wave figure. Really impressed with the detail on the sculpt, the accessories and the screaming head sculpt.
Yondu: Might be my favorite of the wave as Yondu is amazing all around. My only complaint is that I wish he had a none energy effect arrow that he would keep in his holster.
Vance Astro: Meh, worst of the line amounting to an uninspired repaint.
Angela: Might be tied for best of the wave, Angela makes her ML debut with a bang. Outstanding sculpt, fantastic accessories and a kick ass figure all around.
Darkhawk: A win based on pure nostalgia alone, Darkhawk makes a pretty great figure.
Nova: A decent figure, but could have been better.
StarLord: Kudos to Hasbro for not including a BAF with StarLord given that this is just a repaint of the same figure included with the Ego 2 Pack. Overall great figure that I shouldn?t have bought.

Pros: So this wave was pretty amazing, but the weakest figure by far was the BAF. I understand that the character has a presence in the continuity, but who really cares? Is anyone clamoring for him? That said, they did a good job on an imposing sculpt with a good level of articulation.

Cons: Feels kinda basic for a BAF and it?s not a popular character.

Old 07-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #1316
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

801-1
Mcfarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: The Merciless

As is tradition with these BAF figures, it’s time to have a look at each individual release that has made up each part of it.

Robin Earth-22: These Robin minions are certainly a cool idea and look amazing, but the lack of full articulation and highly frustrating nature of being an under produced army builder makes this release really frustrating.
Batman: An overall solid looking Batman from another universe.
Batman Who Laughs: My second Batman Who Laughs, but easily the better of the two and the best of this BAF wave. Check out that wingspan!
Superman The Infected: A very cool looking Superman that I liked a whole lot better than I originally thought I would. That said, flight stands are a must.

Pros: For those who didn’t know (like me literally five minutes ago) The Merciless is what you get when you take a heart broken Batman and combine him with the power of the God of War Aries. He’s basically a killing machine that went rouge after the love of his life (in that particular universe) Wonder Woman was murdered. Who better to join the ranks of the Batman Who Laughs evil Bat team than that? I really feel that this figure is super underrated in the Mcfarlane DC lineup as he is AMAZING. The detail is crazy, the articulation is decent considering the size and he even comes with a sword? Really top notch BAF.

Cons: Overall he’s a bit bulky and extremely jagged. I’m not even kidding when I say that I hurt my fingers putting this thing together.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:46 PM   #1317
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

802-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Warlock.

As is tradition on these completed BAF figures I like to go through all the releases that made up all of the included pieces.

Colossus- The X-Men?s resident Russian and muscle, Colossus lives up to his name: He?s large, has a great look and includes nice 2 head sculpts.
Shatterstar- A Rob Liefeld 90?s special with ridiculous weapons and pouches that we all know and love. Overall a fantastic figure and my favorite of the wave.
Dazzler- Who would have thought that a disco roller girl would be such a great figure. Reall cool addition to the wave.
Polaris- I?m not a big Polaris fan, but Hasbro did an amazing job with this beautiful figure.
Cyclops- The big draw of the wave and should have been my favorite, Cyclops was a bit of a disappointment due to limited accessories and frustrating leg bands.
Sunfire- A fun figure with some really great flame effects. Certainly better than it needed to be.
Logan- A solid representation of the character, but given that it was not packaged with a BAF part, I really feel the figure is lacking in accessories.

Pros: Despite me not having a clue who Warlock is, not to mention wondering why he was popular enough to warrant a BAF, he?s kind of a great figure. Big and imposing, super detailed with all unique molded parts, a ton of articulation that allows for some fun poses and even an extra saw hands.

Cons: Nothing; he?s a super fun figure.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:04 PM   #1318
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

803-2
Hasbro- GI Joe Sigma Six: Flint

I'm not sure that these figures going forward can be called Sigma Six, but I'm not going to get too worked up on it as Hasbro never really had much of a plan either at this point in the series. That said, it would have been really cool to see this version of the Flint character in the cartoon from the start. I guess we'll just chalk it up to another thing that SIGMA 6 missed out on.
Toys like Sigma 6 Flint make me laugh at Hasbro?s current no plastic packaging policies. It's not that I don?t agree with less plastic, but if you have ever tried to open a Sigma 6 toy, you?ll see how they have really changed in a relatively short period of time. First off the figure is packaged in an action pose with a full plastic window, second there are still the hard plastic bumpers that double as a storage case, third there are at least forty seven twist ties with plastic inserts and tape holding everything in place. I?m not sure what Hasbro thought people were going to do with these toys, but they were locked in place.

Pros: Flint is another amazingly fun figure from a maligned action figure line. The sculpt has a really cool chunky appearance that the line is known for, a solid amount of articulation for the time (no ankle tilts) and a ton of super fun accessors including a modular gun that can has a bunch of different attachments and looks, a soft goods vest with lots of pockets and even a sword. He also comes with a mountain climbing harness and rope that are perfect for playing out those super fun Joe adventures.

Cons: In a perfect world these figures would have a bit more POA to really amp up the available poses, but I honestly have no complaints: another solid SIGMA 6 figure.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:17 PM   #1319
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

804-2
Mattel- Masters of the Universe Revelations: Moss Man

Now that the dust has settled, for the times being anyways, He-Man Revelations gave us a new updated look on some of our favorite MOTU characters and for the most part did a great job, IMHO anyway. However I feel that Mossman was a big miss and I think I know the reason why. I should start by explaining that I am not sure if MM made an appearance in the OG cartoon nor am I familiar with any real characterization from the comic or even the 200X series. However, judging by the original toy, it was my understanding that he was just a plant based guy that was covered in moss, but was unsure as to the actual abilities if any. That said, I also know that Kevin Smith, the showrunner for the series, is a MASSIVE fan of the DC character Swamp Thing and sees some sizable similarities between him and what we got as Moss Man. Not only do they look the same, they both have power over vines and other foliage items with a massive connection to the spirit of the forest. And while I don?t hate that characterization, I just think it?s a bit overdone and would have preferred something different for this very unique character.

Pros: Easily the best thing about Moss Man is his detailed sculpt as it is clear a lot of care and effort went into the sculpting all the vine details. Outside of that I appreciate the spare hands and the vine accessory as well and the typical Mattel MOTU articulation scheme.

Cons: Is this really Moss Man? I?m not looking for a green flocked figure, but that was kind of the main gimmick of the figure no? Also those feet are unbelievably frustrating to pose. I like the root look, but there is very little you can do to make it work.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:50 PM   #1320
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

805-2
Diamond Select- Lord of the Rings: Legolas

Going to be completely honest here, if Legolas was the first Diamond LOTR figure that I opened, I probably would not have been so keen on the line. It?s not that he?s a bad toy per se, but has some issues that were not present with Gimli. First and foremost is the construction of the leg/hip joints and I?m not sure if I can even properly explain why as I?ve never seen a figure with ball jointed hips that have such a limited range of motion. Typically the ball/hip joint peg would come out horizontally from the groin area allowing for a decent forward and sideways motion, but Legolas has these pegs almost at a vertical position giving a bit of motion, but is very limited by the top of the leg interfering with the body. Secondly, he feels Incomplete given that he has holders for his trademark daggers, but no daggers were in sight. I have since acquired them from the new Gollum deluxe figure, but it?s a bit smarmy of Diamond to make collectors buy another figure, just to complete another and lastly MINE BROKE! Yup those same hip joints that I was having issues with broke off right at the base. I don?t recall being very rough with it, but must have pushed or pulled in the wrong way causing undue stress on the joint to snap it. Also wanted to give a big shout out to Diamond who sent out a replacement figure in the mail. It took a bit of prodding, and was just loose in a plastic bag, but it did the trick nevertheless and made me appreciate the fact that Diamond stands behind their products.

Pros: Overall Legolas is a gorgeous looking figure with a few drawbacks. The sculpt is amazing with tons of detail and I appreciate how nice the included accessories are. Articulation is fine and allows for a range of poses, but could be better for a character like Legolas.

Cons: I?m going to be honest, Diamond not including daggers was a real bummer and is only slightly rectified with their inclusion with Gollum. Also the hip joints are really annoying and are apparently prone to breakage.