ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 03-01-2024, 12:55 PM   #41
Eko123
Body without Organs
Re: GameStop Policy Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
I guess we should be thankful that they haven't gone the same route as TRU and put a total ban on returning any item considered a "collectible" (as my local TRU has).
Has TRU reversed that ever since Hasbro went back to windowed packaging?
Eko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 01:50 PM   #42
nighthawk
Jedi Knight

I think the TRU thing was dependent on location. The only non-refundable stuff at the TRU near me are cards.

I've refunded figures with no issues. Even with window boxes though, it's not foolproof. One TRU near me has a Marvel Legends Nakia re-release sitting there for a while. It actually has the original one in the box (ie. swap).
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 02:02 PM   #43
lifedragon99
Decepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
I think the TRU thing was dependent on location. The only non-refundable stuff at the TRU near me are cards.

I've refunded figures with no issues. Even with window boxes though, it's not foolproof. One TRU near me has a Marvel Legends Nakia re-release sitting there for a while. It actually has the original one in the box (ie. swap).
Yeah it was location based. Although i think Funko might be company wide.

It at least the majority of toys r us Ingo into have final sale on funkos.

I've not personally seen a store with a ban on collectible returns yet.
lifedragon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 02:47 PM   #44
Napseeker
Dark Knight

Unfortunately this hobby is in trouble. And Hasbro seems to be in such dire shape that we're only going to get cheaper quality products (or very expensive if we want that same level of quality) or we'll be buying it from 3rd parties that Hasbro licenses out their IP to.

https://tformers.com/hasbro-looks-to...2132/news.html

We may look back on the pre-pandemic years as the golden age of toy collecting, given that our demographic is aging out and the young kids care more about digital than they do about physical toys.

EDIT: yeah the ban is store-dependent. At mine, you cannot return SW, GI Joe, Funko, and Marvel Legends. Transformers is still a returnable item though. I've mostly stopped buying anything from there now, since the only way I can protest is with my wallet.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 02:45 AM   #45
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
Unfortunately this hobby is in trouble. And Hasbro seems to be in such dire shape that we're only going to get cheaper quality products (or very expensive if we want that same level of quality) or we'll be buying it from 3rd parties that Hasbro licenses out their IP to.

https://tformers.com/hasbro-looks-to...2132/news.html

We may look back on the pre-pandemic years as the golden age of toy collecting, given that our demographic is aging out and the young kids care more about digital than they do about physical toys.

EDIT: yeah the ban is store-dependent. At mine, you cannot return SW, GI Joe, Funko, and Marvel Legends. Transformers is still a returnable item though. I've mostly stopped buying anything from there now, since the only way I can protest is with my wallet.
Hasbro very much did this to themselves. The overseas companies and some domestic like McFarlane, Mattel, neca etc were very smart during and after the pandemic by not trying to maximize profits for short term and we're willing to have their profits take a bit of a hit so they could play the long game and it paid off for them. Hasbro would have been fine if they did the same.. but here we are.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 04:40 AM   #46
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
Hasbro very much did this to themselves. The overseas companies and some domestic like McFarlane, Mattel, neca etc were very smart during and after the pandemic by not trying to maximize profits for short term and we're willing to have their profits take a bit of a hit so they could play the long game and it paid off for them. Hasbro would have been fine if they did the same.. but here we are.

Publicly traded company corporate culture.

Ever higher profits, increased shareholder value and dividends (if paid). Otherwise you are considered a failure.

Despite all the doom and gloom one thing that gets lost in the discussions/articles is the fact that Hasbro actually made a profit in 2023 (again). They didn't lose money despite the big draw down from overstock/distribution problems (mostly in the action figure sector) and the disastrous sale of E-One.

So if you don't meet the targets, well you failed. You made money?? So what, who cares, you didn't make enough. Cue the cost cutting measures (layoffs) and cheaper materials, lower production numbers and forcing factories to offer better deals. Then let's not forget to increase the prices as well (if possible). All so some random number/target can be reached to meet "analysts" expectations.

I'm sure Hasbro is looking at headwinds for the industry, especially action figures. However they are still a profitable company who are trying to come out of a couple of bad, but not unprofitable, years. They are clearly working on diversifying their revenue streams away from manufacturing for less profitable brands (licensing), but they are still going to be making toys for a long time. Probably longer than we'll be alive, and probably longer than Gamestop will be in business.

They probably won't be as big a company as they used to be though.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 05:21 AM   #47
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post

Ever higher profits, increased shareholder value and dividends (if paid). Otherwise you are considered a failure.

Despite all the doom and gloom one thing that gets lost in the discussions/articles is the fact that Hasbro actually made a profit in 2023 (again). They didn't lose money despite the big draw down from overstock/distribution problems (mostly in the action figure sector) and the disastrous sale of E-One.

So if you don't meet the targets, well you failed. You made money?? So what, who cares, you didn't make enough. Cue the cost cutting measures (layoffs) and cheaper materials, lower production numbers and forcing factories to offer better deals. Then let's not forget to increase the prices as well (if possible). All so some random number/target can be reached to meet "analysts" expectations.

I'm sure Hasbro is looking at headwinds for the industry, especially action figures. However they are still a profitable company who are trying to come out of a couple of bad, but not unprofitable, years. They are clearly working on diversifying their revenue streams away from manufacturing for less profitable brands (licensing), but they are still going to be making toys for a long time. Probably longer than we'll be alive, and probably longer than Gamestop will be in business.

I agree although the other big companies like Mattel and Bandai also have shareholders to please yet they didn't end up digging themselves into a hole like Hasbro. Which leads me to believe that it wasn't just the shareholders at fault for the position Hasbro's in, it was company leadership as well.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 03-02-2024 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:21 PM   #48
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post

You know I wish we lived in times where making money is still good. Profits down 1% stock takes a beating...it doesn't feel needed. It feels like in the past steady growth was rewarded now it feels like unless you maximize profits then go even harder next year...you are out.

Anyways while Hasbro is turning a profit that profit has declined year over year since 2021 to the tune of $1.2 Billion dollars. That hurts.
sixshot1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 05:38 PM   #49
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
You know I wish we lived in times where making money is still good. Profits down 1% stock takes a beating...it doesn't feel needed. It feels like in the past steady growth was rewarded now it feels like unless you maximize profits then go even harder next year...you are out.

Anyways while Hasbro is turning a profit that profit has declined year over year since 2021 to the tune of $1.2 Billion dollars. That hurts.
Too many corporations got a taste of those pandemic profits and instead of realizing that it wouldn't last forever they doubled down when they should have adjusted accordingly.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:52 PM   #50
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
I agree although the other big companies like Mattel and Bandai also have shareholders to please yet they didn't end up digging themselves into a hole like Hasbro. Which leads me to believe that it wasn't just the shareholders at fault for the position Hasbro's in, it was company leadership as well.
Mattel's numbers were only slightly better because of the success of the Barbie movie and all the merchandising sales from that success.

Their first 3 quarters were nothing to write home about, but they shot up significantly in the 4th quarter. Moreso than Hasbro on a percentage basis. Without that 4th quarter they were looking to be on par with Hasbro for poor sales.

Also let's remember that Mattel was the bigger toy manufacturer of the two (not counting Lego of course) for quite a long time. Bandai I would consider more of a video game / entertainment company than a toy company, but they do sell toys and video games are a kind of toy.

All it takes is one bad CEO and any of those companies could fall into the same kind of situation Hasbro is currently in.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collectibles, figures, gamestop, return policy, toys