ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #51
DanM
Aquanaut
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
120 DCC Icons Mr Miracle
A nice figure and I’m sure someone's favorite, but I call it a mis-step on DC part for not leading the first series with a more well known figure. I think the Icons line was a bit too ambitious.
I can verify that Mr. Miracle is nobody's favorite. There were scientific tests done and everything.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #52
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
I can verify that Mr. Miracle is nobody's favorite. There were scientific tests done and everything.
Haha! Pretty much right, but someone at DCC sure loves him.

121 Hasbro FOC Brawl
A nice enough space tank.

122 Hasbro CW Brawl
The only unique mold of the set, suffers from floppiness in robot mode.

123 Mattel BvS Superman
I paid $5 for him and still felt cheated. Mattel is squandering the DC license.

124 Mattel BvS Batman
Not any better than Superman.

125 Hasbro FOC Bruticus
A hot mess of a combined figure that can barely lift his arms.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #53
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Last set of Vol 1. 130 figures reviewed... not bad!

126 Hasbro CW Bruticus
Pretty solid overall; I look forward to the other CW groups.

127 NECA Kratos
My one and only NECA figure; overall pretty nice, but feels fragile.

128 Hasbro Blizzard
Filler figure thy name is Blizzard. I added the jeans (courtesy of the free with purchase Guess Jeans key chain that my wife got for buying a dress from there) to make him feel more dignified. Seriously Hasbro, no ice effects?

129 Disney ES Kylo Ren
I know it is too late now, but I cannot recommend this Disney Store exclusive enough. Such a pleasant surprise and incredible figure for the cost.

130 Hasbro Dr Strange
Can you really call him Dr Strange when he doesn't come with his signature cape? Apparently not as they re-released him with the cape a year later..
Old 09-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #54
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

We all go through phases and I thought I would share the artistic phase that I went through last year. I’ve never been much of a customizer with my toys and marvelled at how some could take one figure and completely overhaul it to make another; often ending up with a much better toy in in the process.

My initial inspiration came from my Figma Indiana Jones as I thought it would be cool to have a stand for the Chachapoyan Fertility Idol accessory along with his other treasures. Around that time I also started making my own coat hanger stands as a cheap alternative and figured that the same process could be used to combine and make bases or small dioramas. It honestly was a really cool learning process and allowed me to be creative with all types different materials and the best part is that is was really quite inexpensive.

Chachapoyan Fertility Idol
Constructed from flower arranging foam, markings made with a pen and binder clips. Painted black, greys and silver with a final clear coat. The “stone” on top is a painted plastic furniture floor protector and the moss is from model train supplies.

Sankara Stone
I took some liberties with the design of this as I could not find any clear picture from the film, but I do know it was a large skull type thing. Made from the same process as above, but took more “sculpting” than the Idol stand. The nice thing about the flower foam is that it is super forgiving and can be easily formed with your fingers and any other tools found around your home, but once it’s painted it holds really well.

Holy Grail
Pretty simple design, but just went with a basic design given the whole, Jesus was a ‘simple carpenter” thing. The benefit of the painted black base coat is pretty apparent here.

The Rocketeer
This was the first attempted stand and base combo and made for the Funko 6” Rocketeer figure. I don’t love that the wire stand is visible under the base, but I guess I went a bit too far with the cutting and didn't feel like reforming the wire. I also used a different type of flower foam that was more porous and was not as easy to work with, but more expensive… go figure. It was supposed to look like a blown-out WW2 building.

Spiderman 2099
I was going for a bit of a futuristic city building look with the silver and the red tubes. Again with the wire visibility though. I also made and added a spiderweb *twip* and I think it should be a standard accessory for all the spider people. It's basically silver wire wrapped around silver wire and painted. It's nice because it's durable and movable, but has no easy way to be attached to the figure.

Blackcat
Sorry for the poor picture; had to use some filters to brighten it up. Given the propensity for female superheroes to wear high heels it is typically very difficult for them to stand without added support. My aim was to make this look like a scene from a warehouse or docks where criminal activity is constantly a foot in the comic universe.

I took some step by step pictures of the process to show that it's really quite simple.

Most of the supplies needed were purchased from my local dollar store and anything else was picked up from WalMart and a craft store.

Start with the wire hanger stand and a general idea how you want to for the figure to stand, use 2 pliers to bend the wire section by section working from the bottom up to the figure clasp. It doesn’t need to be super tight, but enough so the figure won't fall out.

Now start cutting out the general shape of the base that you want from the foam. It can be rough or look very jagged, but the foam can be easily formed and smoothed out for the final design. Add other details and ensure that the unpainted form fits the stand and the figure because once you start painting it is difficult to make any additional changes. Also the foam is extremely fragile and will impact or break easily so handle with care.

Cover the foam with a generous amount of black craft paint. The flower foam is very porous and will soak in the paint quickly. Once dry, the base coat will protect from impacts or breakage.
Start adding other paint details; easy to get creative with colours and techniques.

Once it is fully dry you can add other landscape details like bushes or grass.

When you are happy with everything, spray with a clear coat to set the colours, being careful to not spray too heavy in one area as to prevent the paint from running and you are done!

Old 09-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #55
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Vision
Wanting to try something new I decided to make a more futuristic stand for Vision. The colours worked out pretty well and I was particularly happy with how the red tubes turned out.

Scouge
Back to the war zone demo site. This is type of landscape really works best with the materials I'm using. Also my first time using grass.

Captain America
Same to match Scourge, but I wanted to see if I can use the stand to hold a thrown shield; think it turned out ok, but I recognize that it would have been better with clear plastic.

Boba felt.
For the pinnacle of my talents and my last completed project, I wanted to create a Japanese garden type setting to complement his hybrid Star Wars/Japanese look. Now I never have actually been to Japan, but I have been to Epcot Center in Disney World and trust me; this is basically a perfect representation of what any local Japanese park looks like, complete with the Torii Gate. And about that gate; believe it or not this was my 3rd attempt at getting it right, but hopefully it’s relatively accurate as I based it on many different pictures from the internet and I was limited to my ability to work with the bolsa wood. It's basically one piece that I cut out and sanded to look like different pieces of wood and painted to suit. As mentioned Boba’s stand was the pinnacle of my abilities with these materials and until inspiration hits again, probably my last.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #56
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

So, before I make with the reviews I wanted to share my new toy room. Six long years ago we moved houses and I boxed up my entire collection to live in storage until such time that a new one could be built. Lots can change in 6 years, but thankfully my love for action figures and desire to display them on pressboard shelves had not. I’m also very grateful that my wife is so understanding and is ok with my addiction collection.

What you see here is the sum total of over 22 years of toy collecting; lots of Star Wars, Spawn, Transformers and more recently comic inspired figures. There is a lot of history here and while I don’t love all the toys here, each figure carries some kind of memory for me

It has been a lot of fun re-setting this figures up and I’m happy to share. I’ll add more pics as the collection grows.

As always, thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy!

Right to left going through the room clockwise.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:27 PM   #57
Xtreme987
Jedi Knight

Damn ... 11 shelves on the 1 wall. I think that's a record. LoL
No really nice collection you have going there.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #58
Sharkdog
Premium Blend

That is absolutely a tight fit.
Sharkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #59
TightyMhor
Cobra Trooper

Very nice!
TightyMhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #60
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Dude! love that you have a split shelf in the detolf cabinet...oh yeah, nice collection too haha
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote