ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Scrapper6
Cylon Centurion
Old Collector Interested in New Items Questions

Pretty long title I know, but here's basically what I'd like to know.

Which figures in the new Star Wars stuff have the best articulation to represent characters such as:

Darth Maul
Darth Sidious
Anakin Skywalker & Darth Vader
Luke Skywalker
Princess Leia Organa
Han Solo
C-3PO
Obi-Wan Kenobi
General Grievous
Count Dooku
Commander Cody
Ahsoka Tano
Aayla Secura
Shaak Ti
Asajj Ventress
Luminara Unduli
Jacen Solo
Jaina Solo
Lando Calrissian
Padme Amidala

I ask because I feel that if I keep my Star Wars collection limited to the major players of the Saga I could still enjoy a small Star Wars collection to stand next to my Joes and (Hopefully Soon) Marvel 3 3/4' guys.

And I want to get as many figures as possible that represent these major players with the BEST articulation possible... IE better crotches and hip articulation.

I might even trade off a few extra 30th Anniversary Clone Items I bought in exchange for some of these figures if people were interested and if I became interested in actually parting with them.

I suppose the Vintage Collection thingy would be the best choice for some characters, but the regular carded stuff might have even greater poseable figures. Who knows.

I just hope Hasbro has finally actually produced a Darth Sidious that isn't a block of plastic for legs and torso... I mean the last time I had any representation of The Emperor was back from the The Power of the Force 2 days.
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
RyDel
Super Friend
Re: Old Collector Interested in New Items Questions

An easy question this is not. Much debate there could be here.

I'll take a crack at the first one on the list. For Maul my taste have gone with the 2009 Legacy Collection BD05. It's a repack of the Maul from the 2008 Evolutions Sith Legacy set, but uses a slightly better red paint then the 2008 version.

...then I took the robe off my 2008 Darth Maul SL-14 from the Saga Legends line and put it on the 09 Legacy Maul.

In my opinion it's the best Maul sculpt and adding the cloak gives him more of an Episode I look.
RyDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Robimus
Super Moderator

I've got a few ideras on this front:

Darth Maul:

The best I have is the version from the Evolution of the Sith 3 pack. I believe he's been repackaged in the current Saga Legends run.

Darth Sidious:

My favorite remains the POTF one though he has limited articulation. The ROTS Black Robed Palpatine is quite good as well and very articulated.

The ROTS versions stand out here as well

Luke Skywalker

I don't know that I have a favorite Luke but I bet the Vintage ROTJ one will have great articulation. I did like the X-Wing Luke that came packaged with Mara several years ago as well.

Princess Leia Organa

Vintage Hoth Leia

Han Solo

I love the articulation on the one that came packaged with the Falcon, but I'd bet the Vintage one will be just as good if not better.

C-3PO

There have been a few I liked a lot. The Episode 2 one with the interchangable heads was fun, but I seem to recall an ESB version from not that long ago that was great as well.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

ROTS, though I'm not much of an Obi fan.

General Grievous

The last Build a Droid, Legacy Collection one was said to be awesome. It's been a while since he was released though.

Count Dooku

For articualtion the ROTS one is great but I still love the bad ass Episode 2 version thats posed spraying lightning.

Commander Cody

Meh, no idea

Ahsoka Tano

We haven't seen enough Ahsoka figures yet to really get a good one. So far I'd say they are on the weak side.

Aayla Secura

Same deal as Dooku. The Episode 3 version is very articulate but I still like the more posed Episode 2 one myself.

Shaak Ti

See Dooku and Aayla

Asajj Ventress

I don't have a lot of Asajj figures, but of what I do have I like the 2D Clone Wars Micro Series figure just to be difficult

Luminara Unduli

See Dooku

Jacen Solo

The one Jacen Solo figure that been produced is awesome but quite rare.

Jaina Solo

The one Jaina we've gotten I don't like that much but beggers can't be choosers

Lando Calrissian

Just after ROTS they did a Cloud City version of him that is awesome with a cloth cape.

Padme Amidala

My favorite Padme is the Episode 2 Droid Conveyer belt one.

I have some of these figures loose that you can take a look at Scrapper, maybe at C4.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
Scrapper6
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I've got a few ideras on this front:

Darth Maul:

The best I have is the version from the Evolution of the Sith 3 pack. I believe he's been repackaged in the current Saga Legends run.

Darth Sidious:

My favorite remains the POTF one though he has limited articulation. The ROTS Black Robed Palpatine is quite good as well and very articulated.

The ROTS versions stand out here as well

Luke Skywalker

I don't know that I have a favorite Luke but I bet the Vintage ROTJ one will have great articulation. I did like the X-Wing Luke that came packaged with Mara several years ago as well.

Princess Leia Organa

Vintage Hoth Leia

Han Solo

I love the articulation on the one that came packaged with the Falcon, but I'd bet the Vintage one will be just as good if not better.

C-3PO

There have been a few I liked a lot. The Episode 2 one with the interchangable heads was fun, but I seem to recall an ESB version from not that long ago that was great as well.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

ROTS, though I'm not much of an Obi fan.

General Grievous

The last Build a Droid, Legacy Collection one was said to be awesome. It's been a while since he was released though.

Count Dooku

For articualtion the ROTS one is great but I still love the bad ass Episode 2 version thats posed spraying lightning.

Commander Cody

Meh, no idea

Ahsoka Tano

We haven't seen enough Ahsoka figures yet to really get a good one. So far I'd say they are on the weak side.

Aayla Secura

Same deal as Dooku. The Episode 3 version is very articulate but I still like the more posed Episode 2 one myself.

Shaak Ti

See Dooku and Aayla

Asajj Ventress

I don't have a lot of Asajj figures, but of what I do have I like the 2D Clone Wars Micro Series figure just to be difficult

Luminara Unduli

See Dooku

Jacen Solo

The one Jacen Solo figure that been produced is awesome but quite rare.

Jaina Solo

The one Jaina we've gotten I don't like that much but beggers can't be choosers

Lando Calrissian

Just after ROTS they did a Cloud City version of him that is awesome with a cloth cape.

Padme Amidala

My favorite Padme is the Episode 2 Droid Conveyer belt one.

I have some of these figures loose that you can take a look at Scrapper, maybe at C4.
Awesome - I used to have Episode 2 Dooku though, but I could never get him to stand. Unless there were two of them - the one I had came with two lightsabers, Dooku's and Anakin's I believe as well as a little holographic Sidious.

I didn't like him all that much for two important reasons, as I said I couldn't get him to stand and I couldn't pose him with Anakin and Obi-Wan for dynamic lightsaber duel.

*SIGH* Now I just have to convince my mom to loan me another fifteen bucks tomorrow so I can maybe pick up four new SW figures from the Vintage Line at TRU. (Provided TRU has 4 Vintage figures I'd be interested in in stock.) Maybe they'll have that Maul figure in stock from the Saga Legends I could look at and see if I like.

I've got 30th Anni Mace Windu already and it seems to me the vintage figure is just a re-pack of that mold with possibly different accessories.
Other than that I think I might pick up all 2010 Vintage figures, or just about all of them, to represent in my collection certain figures.

Guess I'll have to wait for Aayla to be re-released in a better looking figure then. I have the Ep 3 one of her, but I broke the lightsaber blade from too many times removing it from the hilt...

I think for my Shaak Ti needs I'll go with that Felucian Outcast, I might even be able to get her, Jacen and Jaina at C4 or failing that Galaxy might have a few. They have a lot of Star Wars figures available upstairs from what I recall, but I bet the prices are in the 15 - 20 $ range. Especially for short packed and never made it to Canada figures.
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Robimus
Super Moderator

The Dooku I'm thinking of is this guy:

Darth Tyranus Saga Collection is the technical term There are so many damn names and toylines from STar Wars that I gave up trying to remember the name of each subline long ago unfortunalty.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote