ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
chuskers
Cobra Trooper
Big Bad Toy Store Question

Hello fellow collectors, wondering if anyone here from Ontario has ordered a case of marvel legends from BBTS recently. Looking to see how much shipping was, any duty paid etc ...

Thanks for your help
chuskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:31 PM   #2
E Mikd
Red Shirt
Re: Big Bad Toy Store Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuskers View Post
Hello fellow collectors, wondering if anyone here from Ontario has ordered a case of marvel legends from BBTS recently. Looking to see how much shipping was, any duty paid etc ...

Thanks for your help
I recently ordered some GI Joe's from there.
It cost me $16.69 USD for 2 50th Anniversary 3 packs, and a 50th Anniversary 2 pack. So a pretty fair sized package.
Wasn't charged extra duties, but when I was collecting 1/6th scale, I got dinged pretty heavy on duties for a Hot Toys Catwoman. It was a pretty heft ding and stopped me from ordering from them till this past month, when I risked it for some new Joes. And no duties. I think it goes off of value. My order was under $100 USD for the joes, but more than $200 USD for the Hot Toys. So that may be a factor.

Last edited by E Mikd; 09-14-2017 at 11:37 PM.
E Mikd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:59 AM   #3
Webs
Man of Spiders

I think customs only hits packages if they are within a certain size/weight. I ordered the Hasbro Masterpiece Optimus Prime from BBTS which with shipping was around $180, but it got hit hard by customs and ended up costing me almost $300.
Webs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #4
Xtreme987
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webs View Post
I think customs only hits packages if they are within a certain size/weight. I ordered the Hasbro Masterpiece Optimus Prime from BBTS which with shipping was around $180, but it got hit hard by customs and ended up costing me almost $300.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
fjjr
Super Friend

Quote:
I don't understand how you were charged that much for customs - what shipping service did you use? You should have been charged PST/GST on your items and possibly a handling fee. As I understand it, the handling fee on items dealt with through Canada Post would be no more than $10.00.
Since you are in Alberta, there is no PST. Even if they charged you with the shipping price included, you shouldn't have been charged more than $20.
That's just what I thought the rules were for importing items from the US, maybe something else applies in your case.
fjjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
chuskers
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Ouch indeed, that story def makes me nervous about ordering a case from them. Thanks for the replies gang

Actually ended up getting 2 figures from Amazon.com so we'll see how that that turns out

Last edited by chuskers; 09-16-2017 at 09:49 AM.
chuskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
Sharkdog
Premium Blend

I've had both experiences, though mostly my orders from BBTS make it through without getting hit by customs.

I did have a package once get hit by customs, but it was indeed a very large package.
Sharkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #8
Prime Sinister
Decepticon

Ordered TFC Hades recently from BBTS and no custom duties.
Prime Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #9
pandaprime
Master of the Universe

not recently but I was hit with customs duties for every shipment from BBTS maybe i am on the watchlist?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
Chigimus
Super Friend

Have made orders with BBTS for various amounts as little as $32 to $175 over the last 4 years, and for various sizes and package weights. I don't order from them very much, but occasionally do if they have the right price or the only place left with inventor.
Customs has dinged me EVERY SINGLE TIME. For those of you not getting dinged, do you use a cross-border PO box of some sort?
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote