ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #151
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here

Marvel Legends- Morbius- The Living Vampire.

Morbius- The Living Vampire came on my radar in the 90’s when he received his own comic book series that was eventually tied in with Ghost Rider and Sprits of Vengeance. Truthfully I don’t recall much about that book except that he looked like he belonged in some thrash metal group. After that, Spider-fans will recall that he was featured prominently as a reoccurring role in the Spiderman Animated Series cartoon. His character and motivations were pretty well established over the course of the series, but they really tamed down his vampire persona. I suppose it would be a little off base having this anti-hero running around sucking blood from criminals necks, but had to be better then sucking “plasma” from the palm of his hands…

The figure is based on his classic costume that basically screams Dracula; which I like. They have also included two small caps, one that hangs down and own that emulates wings. They both are laughably small and make it look like Morbius is wearing a kids dress-up cape, but I digress, it is on par with the classic look… Other great details include the “popped” collar and the amazing head sculpt; looks to be right out of the comic.

Pros: Great sculpt, nice likeness.

Cons: None

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #152
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Marvel Legends- Jack O'Lantern (Mad Jack)

I know very little about Jack O'Lantern, but what I do know was gathered from a very enjoyable Agent Venom comic run. Apparently there is some history with the character: Mad Jack?, but outside of the comics he has had very little exposure in other media. However, I was able to catch an unwatchable Ultimate Spiderman which feature Jack and inexplicably the cast from Disney"s tween sitcom "Jesse". Sidebar: this is not the time or place to get into it, but that cartoon is the absolute worst.

Anyways, I was quite excited for Jack O'Lantern as he looked amazing the in the package and for the most part he delivers, but it's not without some issues. The good includes a phenomenal head sculpt and body design. I love the flying broom accessory too. My only grip is that the articulation is lacking in some key areas to allow him to ride his broom which is so odd considering that Marvel Legends rarely have this issue. I'm also not sure where the body construction came from, but I have to assume it's from a previously very slender character, but works really well for Jack.

Overall it's an extremely well made figure of a obscure character that looks super cool, that is, if you can manage to actually get him posed.

Pros: Amazing head sculpt, nice accessories

Cons: Articulation could use some work.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #153
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Transformers- Fall of Cybertron: Vortex

Despite multiple issues, I still like Vortex. I can't say why, but something about a Cybertronian helicopter makes me happy; it's just so ridiculous.

That said, the construction of the figure, as it relates to his articulation and its ability to be posed, is curious. Not only does his propeller arm get in the way, he has this skirt panel that pretty well limits any possible forward leg movement. Even though he has these huge feet, it's super difficult for him to stand up properly. I trust that when in combined mode it won't matter, but still an odd design choice.

Pros: It's a space helicopter!

Cons: Odd design choices causing limited movement.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #154
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Transformers- Combiner Wars: Onslaught

Long story short: He's ok and not nearly as good as he (or rather Hot Spot) was hyped to be. Granted Hot Spot may be the initial mould, meaning that Onslaught was retooled to fit from a fire truck, thereby lacking some of the details that would be there if it was an original mould, but still doesn't make up for some pretty poor design elements. I find particular issue with his leg/knee scheme that probably is negatively affected by the requirement for the combined mode, but it certainly impacts his ability to stand properly. The vehicle mode is also somewhat lacking given all the gaps through the middle, but again something that is likely either hidden in the first mould or required for the combined mode. I also find it funny that while they included two guns to go on his back, they didn't give him a primary weapon.

Pros: A good use of a retooled character.

Cons: Some odd design choices that impact overall figure.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #155
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Marvel Legends- Spider Gwen

When was that last time that a new character made such a splash in an established comic universe? Ok, maybe it was fairly recent with Spider-Miles, but still pretty remarkable to see her popularity surge. And what really makes her so popular anyways? Sure it's nice to see Gwen in a ‘what if’ type scenario, but that is nothing new. I suppose it's cool to see how she would have lived her life if it hadn't been cut short; so that's fun. Truthfully, as vain as this sounds, I think maybe it's her costume; it's just so cool!

The figure features two head sculpts, one masked with her hood up and one unmasked with the hood around her neck. Hasbro did a particularly neat thing with the design of her hood to achieve her iconic look and while I appreciate that they included an unmasked head, it looks a bit off and almost out of place. I also find it odd that they didn't not include alternative hands. Not sure Gwen needs to walk around with her webbing hand at the ready 100% of the time.

I was also a touch disappointed with the lack of articulation; she has most of the required POA, but this is also a spider lady that needs to make some cool poses; IMO anything less then a Spider-Man is inferior.

Pros: A nice version of a new fan favourite, the hooded look is excellent.

Cons: Alt head looks out of place, articulation could use some work.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #156
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

DC Collectibles: DC Icons- Green Arrow

Ok, third up for the icons line is the Emerald Archer himself; Green Arrow. I've always been a fan of Ollie and love that they went with the classic Robin Hood inspired costume over the new look from the CW show. And while we are on that subject, I must say that despite many chances, I just can't get into Arrow which is crazy because I love The Flash show. Maybe I'll give it another chance this year, but not sure I can overlook some of the terrible acting.

The figure is is apparently based on the story arc “the Longbow Hunters” from the 80’s and actually was so well received it legitimized the character for an ongoing series; how's that for Iconic? Articulation is pretty well "Icons" standard and again could greatly benefit from an upper thigh swivel. The hip movements are also somewhat limited due to the longer tunic that he wears and has become a pet peeve of mine. Can the designers not see that there will be a design flaw that inherently limits the movement?

Pros: Iconic sculpt, great accessories.

Cons: Limited movement, articulation could use some work.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #157
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron- Swindle

It pains me to say this, but FOC Swindle is not good. I’m not sure that I was expecting much better, but I had hoped that the most interesting Combaticon, thanks to his character on Transformers Animated series, would have had a bit more… flair?

His vehicle mode is totally forgettable as some misc Cybertronian car, par for the course on this FOC line, but the robot mode is downright bizarre. The upper body hood looks as though someone popped their head through a table and was caring it around, the waist and hips are super tiny and the legs/feet are so bulky they he can barely stand without having his feet a good distance apart. The head sculpt is even a miss as it forgoes his most iconic look. In fact the only good thing about the figure is the card art which actually tries to captures his personality.

Pros: He’s Yellow?

Cons: Pretty well everything else.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #158
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Transformers; Combiner Wars- Swindle

Ok, I’ll just start by saying from the start; CW Swindle is better than his FOC counterpart. I mean, it wasn’t that hard to achieve, but still better. I think the main thing CW Swindle has going for it, is that it’s at least reminiscent of the the G1 namesake; it looks like an updated Swindle. It’s a Jeep, it’s a tannish colour and the head sculpt is spot on, complete with the iconic eyes. One odd thing is the tooling all over the body. It's hard to tell if it is moulded detail or plastic reduction used to cut material and weight. I suppose it's pretty standard on all current Transformers, but looks odd in vehicle mode never the less. So far, one of my favourite CW Combaticons.

Pros: Nice vehicle mode, rocker'd feet, nice head sculpt

Cons: Excessive tooling all over.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #159
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Marvel Legends- Thundera

So let's start with the obvious; Thundera is obscure as it gets. I knew basically nothing about the character and now after reading her wikipedia page I probably care even less. However, being an equal opportunity toy collector I will give credit where credit is due; this figure is actually pretty great. A very imposing figure from her rage filled head sculpt to her signature weapon accessory, she will have you wishing for a death by “SNU-SNU”.

Pros: Imposing figure, great head sculpt, nice accessory

Cons: Moulded hair limits head movement.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #160
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

DC Collectibles- DC Comic Icons: Mr. Miracle

How is it that DC Comic Icons was able to make a better Vision than Hasbro. I mean he's clearly Mr. Miracle, but the resemblance to Vision is pretty remarkable: Shiny metallic finish? Check. Robotic looking face/head sculpt? Check. Flowing cape with a popped collar? Check, well, for Mr. Miracle at least. Funny thing is that these two aren't even meant to be copies of each other, just the way it happened I suppose. At any rate this is the 4 Icon of the series and much like Deadman a fairly obscure character to be featured in the first wave.

Pros: Great paint job, nice cape and accessories.

Cons: Articulation could use work.