ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 03-12-2023, 06:59 PM   #6721
Enforcer
Dark Knight
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

It is hilarious to me that some of you are looking to blame Hasbro or Game Stop for getting product in stock and selling it to you. There is no grand conspiracy against you. Product is made and shipped, and as soon as it is available it is sold to you rather than taking up space in a warehouse. They aren't going to pay to store this stuff just because you can't afford everything you've pre-ordered.

The willingness to look for blame here is frankly childish. If you can't afford all of your pre-orders being fulfilled unexpectedly sooner, you may just want to rethink your collecting habits. And give Game Stop a piece of your mind over product you ordered coming in stock? As soon as you leave after your tantrum, they will laugh at you. I would. That is the most Karen shit I've ever heard.

This is no one's fault but your own for pre-ordering more than your credit cards or bank accounts could hypothetically take on. It is bewildering to me how some of you are trying to lay this at the feet of Hasbro or Game Stop.

Last edited by Enforcer; 03-12-2023 at 07:11 PM.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 07:12 PM   #6722
Enforcer
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanInferno27 View Post
Just saw a charge for the Puff Adder Avengers wave from Gamestop. The Orb is only figure not charged yet still has a release for 06-11.

This is definitely Hasbro pushing product out to amp up Quarterly Profits. Cant blame them but its sucks for those trying to find the funds.

I have noticed this a lot recently with their releases. Also once I start seeing some of the big toy reviewers getting their hands on figures it's not that far behind when I start to get the shipping notifications.
Ah that is the Game Stop charge I got on the 10th - My Extremises That's awesome I'll have them this week.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:11 PM   #6723
ironhide_warmachine
Red Shirt
ironhide_warmachine's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
It is hilarious to me that some of you are looking to blame Hasbro or Game Stop for getting product in stock and selling it to you. There is no grand conspiracy against you. Product is made and shipped, and as soon as it is available it is sold to you rather than taking up space in a warehouse. They aren't going to pay to store this stuff just because you can't afford everything you've pre-ordered.

The willingness to look for blame here is frankly childish. If you can't afford all of your pre-orders being fulfilled unexpectedly sooner, you may just want to rethink your collecting habits. And give Game Stop a piece of your mind over product you ordered coming in stock? As soon as you leave after your tantrum, they will laugh at you. I would. That is the most Karen shit I've ever heard.

This is no one's fault but your own for pre-ordering more than your credit cards or bank accounts could hypothetically take on. It is bewildering to me how some of you are trying to lay this at the feet of Hasbro or Game Stop.
Amen.
Thank you for saying what really needs to be said. Often time fan sites become dominated by the irrational, pessimistic vocal minorities. No body is being targeted and no one is being forced to collect everything. Everyone thinks they are the main character of the story and any worldly events and coincidences happens to directly target their quality of life.
Why preorder everything if liquidity is tight? Many of these items will go on sale or you can still buy it for the retail price (with Gamestop discount) for many months after release. Toy companies and retailers do not have the time nor the aptitude to conspire and exploit your interests to such an elaborate degree.
Day after day, the complainers come and complain about the same asinine things again and again . I get my toy news and bounce right out (thanks, you don't have to remind me) .
I just had to show my support for your comment. Did not want your comment to be immediately drowned by the deluge of pessimism that will undoubtedly continue. Love this site but sometimes the things people want to complain about just starts to get ridiculous. Stuff happens, not everything goes as planned.
ironhide_warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:31 PM   #6724
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

People must be preordering a ridiculous amount for this to be a big issue for them. Cause I can't see $100 or even $200 worth of preorders hitting all at once raising red flags with CC companies and making collectors sweat cause they are being charged for everything at once. If that is indeed the case then I'm going to have to respectfully agree that you guys should probably slow down on the PO's instead of blaming Hasbro and GameStop.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 03-12-2023 at 09:33 PM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:03 PM   #6725
chaingunsofdoom
Master of the Universe

Dollarama has the small sized 5POA ML retros for $5 here: https://imgur.com/a/93QtX1a
chaingunsofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:23 PM   #6726
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

That's a great price. it's what they should retail at honestly lol. That's more accurate of their actual value. Anyway, I'd definitely pick up a bunch at that price despite not collecting that scale.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:28 PM   #6727
Robimus
Super Moderator

I don't buy as much as a lot of folks but I do manage to get everything I want without doing pre orders at all.

More traditional means like hunts, watching the sightings forums, checking out local shows and leaning on the odd friend or two can go a long way still.

It may take more time here and there, but sometimes I end up with stuff before folks who pre ordered. I feel like this hobby can still be done without the pre orders in many instances.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:34 AM   #6728
philtastic
Master of the Universe

To all the smug commenters above:

First, it's not up to you to say how much is or isn't a lot for someone else. Whether it's $100 or $1000, your ideas of what someone else's budget should be are irrelevant. We all make our own financial decisions, based on our individual means, and they're nobody else's business.

Second, if you're told that an item will arrive around a certain time, and have various orders spaced out, having things all arrive at once is, at the very least, an annoying inconvenience. And, as we've seen with some, can escalate into a major headache of having a credit card cancelled. If your landlord said he wants three months rent all at once, that would mess with your budget.

Third, no one wants to hear how much better you are at collecting, or budgeting than they are. So kindly keep your smug comments to yourselves. Nobody likes smug. It's annoying.
philtastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:37 AM   #6729
Hangfest
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post

While I agree that people absolutely should not be ordering beyond their financial means, nor do I agree with anyone directing their anger towards GameStop (they're just the middle-man here), there is something to be said for Hasbro setting pre-order dates spanning April through August for their various lines, then dumping ALL of that product out in one go at the start of March.

Many people rely on the pre-order dates as rough estimates for budgeting their hobby spending, and if you are into multiple lines, having $600+ worth of stuff drop in one week is tough, or impossible, and while some of the responses here are saying "It's easy to find these things weeks and months after that fact, at a discount!", that's only the case for some items. Some things vanish immediately, never to be seen again.

Also, it's no secret that Hasbro hasn't been hitting their financial goals and both this massive drop, and the one that happened back at the start of December (a similar all lines drop, for items that were slated for January through April pre-order dates), align pretty well with quarter end financial periods. So I understand people being frustrated that they are essentially being milked to pad quarter end reporting for a company that has been cutting more and more corners and becoming less and less friendly to the collecting community through things like blind boxes, unreliable exclusive availability, massive price hikes, and weakening QC.

I'm fortunate enough to have the overhead not to worry about the impact this hobby has on my bank account, but that doesn't mean I like getting the call that all my Star Wars, ML, Joe, and Transformers pre-orders from the next five months all arrived at my local GameStop in one massive shipment. It's still an unexpected/unwelcome expense, even if I can afford it.

There is for sure personal accountability to be had here in not over extending yourself, and a lesson to be learned about Hasbro's operations in relation to conducting their pre-orders (ie. their dates are meaningless), but it's also hard for people to budget for the things that bring a little joy to their lives when they are given completely fictitious dates to plan for their expenditures. That's bad business practice.

I collect a fair bit of Lego as well, and they have pre-orders/release dates that line up exactly with what they say (ALMOST always anyway), their products typically stay in circulation with easy availability for 12-18 months (occasionally longer), so there's rarely ever any surprise expenses or "hunt" for something you may never see again. I realize Lego is ultimately the larger company but they both generate revenue in the billions and Hasbro should have a better handle on their production and logistics so customers know what to expect.

Your shifting the onus 100% to the customer is as just as extreme in the opposite way as people giving GameStop a piece of their mind.

Anyway, this is a huge response and obviously off-topic for the ML thread, so apologies for continuing the derailment from the main subject.

Last edited by Hangfest; 03-13-2023 at 01:42 AM.
Hangfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:41 AM   #6730
random11
Convention Exclusive

How about we all stop complaining about stuff that none of us have control over. Complain to Hasbro if you have an issue with an item being priced too high or coming out too frequently. Seems like that would solve a lot of issues for the forum.
random11 is offline   Reply With Quote