ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #31
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here

Mini post! Not my typical M.O. but these were opened at work.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #32
BoNKerS
Cobra Trooper

Awesome what you are going here. I'm liking the mini revie with each figure. Keep it up!

Awww I'm kind of sad to hear about this "feeling" cheap. I was REALLY looking forward to these.

I think I may just pass for now.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Thinkway Toys- Pixar; Mr. Incredible.

The Incredibles continues to be one of my favourite Pixar movies to date, so when I saw that these 6", articulated figures were coming out I was very excited. Overall I like it, but it certainly does not feel like a $25 toy. The plastic feels cheap and the toy has very little weight to it, but it's not evident by just looking at it. It comes with a decent stand and a decapitated arm that he used the movie to immobilize one of Syndrome's robot minions; a nice touch, but kinda meh IMO. I understand that Syndrome will be available soon, but I would love to see the rest of the cast, including Frozone.

Pros: good articulation, great likeness.

Cons: bit pricey, feels a bit cheap.

BoNKerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #33
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNKerS View Post
Awesome what you are going here. I'm liking the mini revie with each figure. Keep it up!

Awww I'm kind of sad to hear about this "feeling" cheap. I was REALLY looking forward to these.

I think I may just pass for now.

Cheers!
Thanks BoNKerS, I appreciate the kind words. I have been on such an Infinity kick lately (no signs of stoping) that there is a pile up of a lot of other cool stuff. I am really enjoying the process, but my aim to get quality pictures continues to be a challenge. Believe it or not, I have been though about 3 different "light box" attempts and still not really happy with the final product.

As for Mr Incredible, don't get me wrong, it's a fun figure, but not Star Wars Black 6" quality. I picked up Wall-e and Eve from the same series that seam to be much better, but who knows. Also these figures go on sale at TRU all the time. In fact I think they are currently 25% off right now and makes him worth it IMO.

More to come!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #34
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Hasbro- Transformers: Age of Extinction; Leader Class Optimus Prime.

I recent re-watched AOE and I liked it more than I remembered when I first saw it in theatre. Yes It is far from perfect, but definitely a fun movie with some memorable scenes and effects. I was less than keen on picking up yet another movie-verse Optimus, but I grabbed this guy on sale and was pleasantly surprised. That said, for reference, one of my favourite toys is ROTF Optimus Prime and I feel that AOE Prime is able to achieve the movie aesthetic without the complexity that causes my brain to hurt. Side note: I'm an idiot with transforming things. I can only guess that when Hasbro talked about simplified Transformers, they had me in mind; sorry for that.

Vehicle mode: Pretty standard movie verse Prime.
Pros: Chrome stacks, sturdy.
Cons: Boring! Yet another long nosed truck that looks remarkably similar to the last 3 versions of the same character. Looks cheap compared to the previous counterparts.

Robot mode: Good representation of the screen model.
Pros: Well articulated, satisfying transformation, nice sword, no electronics.
Cons: Shell former with random panels that don't really connect, (re: hip skirt, feet to lower leg portion), large backpack, awkward gun/shield, stupid unnecessary head popping gimmick.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:07 AM   #35
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Ok, so I was straightening up my basement and toy area and thought I'd take some pictures of my in package toy shelves and my lightbox set up. Just for reference we moved into this new home a few years back and I have not had time to develop the basement with a toy room. I have started to open a few here and there (re: this thread) but clearly I have amassed a little MISB collection.

These shelves have a bit of everything: various Transformers, Star Wars Black, Batman the animated series, Thundercats and even Metroplex.

These shelves include the various opened figures, but also includes Transformers classics, some random GiJoe figures, TMNT and even my Masterpiece HotRod.

Pretty simple light box set up. I'm still not happy with it, but it's a work in progress.

From the other side. I have my new light box in the left, black background with black tubes.

This area will eventually become the toy room, but I honestly hope I have enough space.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:28 AM   #36
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Disney Infinity 2.0: Disney Classic- Maleficent

Fair warning: Disney Infinity has been on sale so be prepared for a barrage of new shots of these magnificent plastic gems. This version of Sleeping Beauty's foil is directly inspired from the recent Disney release of the same name. I haven seen it, but the likeness to Angelina Jolie is pretty spot on. Fun Fact: this is not my first Angelina Jolie figure; I can thank the Tomb Raider toys for that.

Pros: Awesome sculpt and representation, the base hides the "tech"

Cons: No articulation and apparently this figure only works in the Toy Box setting.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #37
cloud
Master of the Universe

Cool.

I'm still experimenting on how to shoot black backdrops. It's very challenging for me.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #38
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Honestly, I feel like the black backdrop pics turned out better than the white backdrop pics, but it could be the actual light box set up or the fact that I'm in a dark basement shooting. Maybe I'll play around with it a bit tonight shooting the same figure.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #39
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Mattel- Batman Unlimited; The Dark Knight Returns Batman.

Preamble: No joke, The song that is playing in the background as I type up review #22 is none other than Taylor Swift's chart topping single "22". This is either a remarkable coincidence, or I have questionable musical tastes; either way it is curious how the world works at times.

Anyways, I feel like I owe Frank Miller an apology. When the Dark Knight Returns came out I was too young and stupid to see what a great comic it was. I recall being especially hard on the design for Batman; He was fat, old and his ears were far to little to even be considered "bat-like".

Fast forward a few decades and on the recorded recommendation of Kevin Smith (yes, that one) I decided to track down a copy of the trade from the library to revisit and it struck a cord with me; sure, it's likely due to the fact that I am old and fat now, but I digress. Yes, the Batman mythos has evolved much since this book was written, but I feel that it accurately captured a very plausible "what-if" scenario. And heck, the design even started to grow on me to the point that it is one of my favourite designs for the character. I was also very happy that the two part DC Animated feature was so well done; anyone who has not seen it should really take some time to check it out.

The figure itself looks good and does well to capture the feel of the character, but it's maybe a bit too imposing? Bats is certainly a larger than life image, but Miller's Batman seamed more stalky and hunched; almost like a boxer who had has participated in one too many matches and is ready to throw in the towel. The articulation is pretty standard, but hip ball joints are somewhat limited by his, ahem, Bat-shorts. The cape is a softer plastic, but not pliable and as such further limits movement. The accessories are also disappointing: one sad and tiny Bat-a-rang. Thankfully all of these issues are addressed in the Mezco 1:12 release of the character which I picked up from www.canucktables.ca (review to follow). Granted it was 4 times the cost, but you get what you pay for, right?

Pros: Good sculpt and likeness to the character, decent articulation, fairly cost effective.

Cons: Articulation somewhat limited due to cape and undies, should have more accessories (it's Batman for goodness sake!?!).

I also ended up taking a few pics with my newer, black background lightbox. Let me know what you think. I feel like the Black backgrounds are better?

And in celebration of the new Batman v. Superman movie, I could not resist.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #40
SanMiguel
Agent of Shield
SanMiguel's Ebay Auctions

Cool shots! How many lights are you using if I may ask? I think you need to angle or add another indirect front light to lighten up the face, my 2 cents. :-)

Last edited by SanMiguel; 05-26-2015 at 07:09 PM.
SanMiguel is offline   Reply With Quote