ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 11:24 AM   #1281
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:30 PM   #1282
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

776-2
NECA- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie- Foot Soldier.

Well here is a fun fact! My first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle that I got when I was a kid was the Foot Soldier from the super popular Playmates line. I even recall picking him out at the Real Canadian Superstore and my mom being a bit frustrated with me that I did not bring enough money and having to cover the rest. This was a pretty remarkable memory considering it happened likely 30 years ago, but what can I say, it was a big deal? That said, I didn?t have too many of the Turtles figures as I was a) more into GI Joe at the time and b) getting a bit too old for toys. That said, this trip down memory lane uncovered another memory from around that time when a friend of mine from school had a massive birthday party and invited literally everyone in grade 5 to attend. Boys and Girls, Jocks and Nerds, Cool kids and well? you get the picture; with one caveat that he wanted TMNT toys as gifts and boy did he get them. I can?t recall what I ended up getting him, but I do remember being in awe of all the amazing figures that he was able to amass. It really says something about someone?s fandom when he is less concerned about what the cool kids will think, just as long as they help you along with you collection. And while I gave up on toys soon after, it wasn?t for long as I started ?officially? collecting Star Wars toys a few short, but very awkward, years later and really didn?t make much effort to hide it; perhaps I have this guy to thank for it.

Pros: I loved the TMNT Movie and have very fond memories of watching it all those years ago, so the Foot Soldier is an easy homerun for me. Great detailed sculpt that NECA is known for, decent amount of usable articulation and some nice bladed weapons. Lovely figure.

Cons: I got nothing? It's a solid figure all around.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:00 AM   #1283
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

777-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Batman: White Knight.

McFarlane certainly has some guts what with the constant Batman releases. And before you start: yes, I realize that Bats is DC?s biggest money maker, but even they must have a limit. I suppose some benefit of the doubt should be given to the fact that they are incorporated designs from different media sources such as this figure from the White Knight comic series that many people, including myself, may not be familiar with. That said, is this really ?just another Batman? if this Batman is different from all the rest? I mean, yeah it?s Batman, but just different enough to be worth the price, in my mind anyway. And if you are wondering what Batman: White Knight is about, I recommend checking out the Comic Historian Youtube channel that breaks down the story from start to finish, but basically amounts to Joker turning good and him hunting down a deranged Batman, as part of the GCPD. As for the design element, Batman throughout this has a slightly different look and is emulated well in toy form.

Pros: Leave it to McFarlane to produce yet another cool looking Batman in an already relatively full pool of Bat-Men. I suppose the design may not be for everyone, but I like it and it matches well with the comic that it is based on. Articulation is standard for McFarlane figures and accessories, including a roped Bat-A-Rang that can fit on his arm for pretend swinging action!

Cons: First thing is first? it?s another Batman. Second: only has single joint elbows? odd.

Old 05-31-2022, 05:27 PM   #1284
ghostlurk29
Mutant

That's still my favorite Mcfarlane Batman.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:59 AM   #1285
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

778-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Shrapnel and Reflector

Alright, in a world of Kickbacks (seriously it seems like I?ve done a bunch of reviews on him) I finally get to review a real Insecticon: Shrapnel! And what makes a ?real? Insecticon? Well, for me it?s basically the one that you had as a kid. Yep, that?s basically it: pure, unadulterated nostalgia. That said, I know I?m not alone for my love of this guy given his TFWIKI entry is longer than any paper I wrote for university. I have to respect that kind of dedication. Should be noted that I?m sure every G1 character has an ultra long entry for their character page, but it's just interesting that a background character that for all-intensive purposes was used as a mindless drone has such a deep back story. Boy-o-boy is fandom crazy.

Pros: Nostalgia aside, Shrapnel and Reflector make a pretty great little set. Nice looking in both modes, relatively simple transformation and Reflector?s inclusion really adds some fun.

Cons:Yes it?s simple, but it really works well. Only complaint is that I wish he was able to hold Reflector while in camera mode.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:59 AM   #1286
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 06-02-2022, 12:02 PM   #1287
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

779-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: C-3PO

It feels odd that I am this far into the black series figures and have yet to open one of the most recognizable figures in the Star Wars universe and even more strange when you consider that his compatriot R2D2 was like the second figure released. However, now that I have opened him I?m not really surprised that we waited so long as he?s kind of boring. Don?t get me wrong, I love the character and am happy to have him on the shelf, but he doesn?t really put the ?action? in action figure. I?m also going to take a minute to complain about value here. I understand that toy molds cost money, but I can?t help but feel that, as compared to many other Black Series figures, that C-3PO is a major rip off. Limited articulation, zero accessories and kind of cheap feeling. I realize that value is on a sliding scale with some of these characters and we may need to take it on the chin if we want a smaller figure like Yodo, R2-D2 or C-3PO, but Hasbro could throw us a bone with a 2 pack or extra gear.

Pros: Overall, I?m happy to have C-3PO on the shelf and can appreciate the overall look and sculpting detail that is always bank on with these figures.

Cons: It?s sad when the Disney ToyBox figure is more fun. Seriously, C-3PO looks cool, but that is about it. Limited articulation (no elbow joints), zero accessories and feels very cheap. Not sure what I was expecting, but Hasbro seems to be banking on some goodwill for this release.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:17 AM   #1288
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

780-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Star Lord.

Bad news / Good news situation for this figure. Bad news is that it’s yet another Star Lord figure increasing the total to three in the last hundred or so reviews. Good news is that it’s my last one probably forever and it's overall pretty decent.

Pros: Likely the best version of Star Lord from the GOTG Vol 2 figures with the much cooler looking long jacket, hipster scarf, detachable MP3 player and signature guns. Also, kudos to Hasbro for the really fantastic head sculpt.

Cons: Outside of the multiple versions of the same character, Star Lord is a great figure. I would have loved it if they included the masked head though.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:39 PM   #1289
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

781-2
Hasbro- Transformers R.E.D.: StarScream

Well the jury is still out on these RED figures, for me anyway. On one hand they are well sculpted, have a decent range of motion with some decent articulation and have fun accessories, but on the other modern Transformers have all those benefits, plus the ability to transform, so do the RED figures even need to exist? Speaking for myself, after 22 years of Transforming toys I'm fine with just the one mode. I have some of the best engineered and most fun toys ever produced and don?t think that there is much room for improvement. I?m also not interested in paying 40-60 dollars for a figure that is worth $30 so the decision to keep buying these RED figures is easy. That said, I will be drawing the line at only G1, Beast Wars/Machine, and the odd Bayverse/ TF Animated figure (if they make any). Outside of that, like the upcoming Prime Knockdown, I?ll be passing given that I really didn?t care for the Transforming figure and certainly care less about a non-Transforming one.

Pros: I suppose you could consider this Transformers: The Movie StarScream given that this is from the scene when he was trying to take control of the Decepticons and Galvatron denies his right to rule. I actually really appreciate that Hasbro gave up something unique and fun with the crown and cape accessories, but also with his blast effects. He also has a pretty great G1 looking sculpt and a good amount of articulation for some decent poses.

Cons: Unfortunately StarScream suffers from some design issues that limit some of the arm articulation and make it even worse when the cape is in. I love the idea, but the final product is just ok. Also the little pegs that hold his arm cannons in place aren't robust enough to hold them in place when the massive efergy effects are affixed.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:39 PM   #1290
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys