ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 08-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #1061
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

647-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Ms Marvel.

I’m not going to get into a diversity and inclusion discussion that sometimes rears its head when discussing some of the newer Marvel endeavors short of saying that I really like both the idea and the finished product of Ms Marvel; way more so than her idol and namesake Carol Danvers. And this is not meant to be a slight at the MCU Captain Marvel, but more so the character in general given that she’s just kind of boring. However Ms Marvel brings something kind of unique to the Marvel universe that has been featured before, but not in a long while that was ripe for an update to reflect the diverse nature of the world; a real “city” kid that was gifted rather interesting powers and had to learn to navigate life as a superhero, but with a cultural twist! And while her culture is part of her identity, it’s not the crux of her character which I think is key. She’s presented as a teenager dealing with teenage things while being a superhero; what is not to love about that? Overall since this release Ms Marvel has received a lot of well-deserved praise, has been featured in a few cartoons, was a main character in a triple A video game title and I suspect her star is set to further rise with her very own Disney Plus, live action series that is already in production.

Pros: Overall I was pretty excited when I saw that Ms Marvel was going to be a part of this wave and for the most part I think that Hasbro delivered. I like the sculpt from head to toe and feel that they captured the details of her costume pretty well. I also like how they were able to manage her EMBIGGENED hands without going too overboard and relying on bendy rubber.

Cons: I am still shocked that after all this time that Hasbro has yet to figure out double jointed elbows on their female characters. While it would have complicated the forearms somewhat, I feel like it would have still greatly benefited this figure.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #1062
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

648-2
Hasbro Transformers- Generations Thrilling 30: Scoop

Who at Hasbro thought Scoop was a good idea for a Generations release. I mean, I suppose someone had him way back in the day and was excited for an update, but for me he’s really nothing to get pumped up about. That said, I’m not sure who would have been better given that the whole crew of Autobot Target Masters from that particular wave were, how should I say this, really terrible looking? I mean, it’s no wonder why The Transformers line was struggling at the time. And while it might be self-serving, I would have loved a redux of the Power Masters figures over this Target Master. How great would it have been if we got an actual Getaway figure with REV instead of a simple repainted Chromedome Head Master.

Pros: I was actually really looking forward to Scoop for nostalgic reasons, but I’m not sure that he lived up to the hype. I suppose he’s a fun update to the “classic” character that features the target master gimmick that I’ve always liked. Vehicle mode is pretty standard for a construction front end loader and the robot mode would have made a really great looking G1 Scrapper from the Constructions. I’m also a sucker for his little transformer buddies, named Caliburst and Holepunch.

Cons: Overall I was a bit underwhelmed with the Scoop. This might be due to him being a character that I have no connection to, or maybe that he feels a bit cheap or basic as compared to other Generations style figures.

Old 08-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #1063
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 08-19-2021, 09:11 PM   #1064
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

649-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Kylo Ren.

So I recognize that not everyone loves the Star Wars sequels and some of the more common criticisms are well founded, but one crucial aspect of the series, the character of Kylo Ren, seems to be one of the more acceptable parts of the new trilogy. I for one am a big fan of Kylo Ren and feel he probably received the best overall cut throughout the three moves. This likely has a lot to do with Adam Driver's performance given that he has quickly become one of the best actors of this current generation, but I also think the character of Kylo is enjoyable to watch. I mean, within the first 10 minutes of the Force Awakens, when he “force holds'' Poe's laser blast in place, I was hooked, but I also really liked his rage throughout unfold against his previous master, his more human interactions with Rey and of course his internal light and dark side battle when he murdered and made peace with his father Han Solo. I don’t mind saying that those two moments in both The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker still bring a wave of emotion that no other Star Wars movie has been able to match.

Pros: Of all 3 iterations, The Force Awakens Kylo is my favorite as I’m partial to both the helmet and the hood. I recognize that he needed to evolve over time to a more “VADER” like Supreme Leader, but I thought this looked the most badass. And while I am only a few Force Awakens figures in, Kylo is easily my favorite so far. A great sculpt head to toe, a nice mix of hard plastic and soft goods that allows for a decent range of motion and pose-ability and of course his crazy looking lightsaber that we all questioned when we first saw it on the trailer all those years ago.

Cons: Black Series Kylo is almost exactly what I wanted in a figure, but given that he spends so much time without his helmet and unmasked head would have been nice.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #1065
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

650-2
Takara-Tomy: Transformers Masterpiece: Ironhide

I’m willing to bet that if this, or a reasonable facsimile, was what Ironhide looked like as a Generation One figure I would have liked the character way better. As it was, the G1 toy was a bit unique as compared to the rest and certain caused the show designers to re-think the animation model to something a bit more fitting funny enough, Rachet’s G1 design, who shares the same mold as Ironhide, actually works a bit better given his medical background, need for a medical table with lots of instruments and built in face shield; however, not so much for Ironhide who is probably the polar opposite to Rachet being an old school tough guy brawler. I’ve said it before, but kiddos to the one guy (can’t recall his name) that was tasked with giving names and personalities to all the G1 figures when Hasbro brought the line over to North America. Imagine a weekend that you have ever had that big of an impact on so many fans of the now fleshed out series.

Pros: The Masterpiece Ironhide/Ratchet mould seems to be pretty far down on collector’s favorites list, but I like it quite a bit. The vehicle mode is almost perfect to the unique and kind of silly Nissan Vanette, the transformation is challenging, but not frustrating and he even comes with a weapon storage sled that homages back to the G1 figure. I was also really impressed with the final robot mode’s sculpt, level of detail, multiple G1 cartoon accessories and pose-ability. Extra marks for two different face plates.

Cons: How do I say this? His robot mode is very…. long; almost like he has a normal torso size, with an extra hip section. It doesn’t ruin the figure for me, but for the impossible desires of G1 fans, it does still out a touch.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:51 PM   #1066
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 08-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #1067
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

651-2
Mattel- Masters of the Universe Origins: He-Man.

I feel like 2020 and 2021 has been one of the most frustrating periods to be a toy collector in recent history. And while I’m not trying to be a negative nelly on these reviews, the fact is I got into toy collecting because it was an enjoyable experience, but lately it has been a down right chore filled with disappointment and obstruction that can only be solved with acceptance of going without or opening up the wallet to “collect” off ebay. I find myself saying it a lot, but both the toy producers like Mattel and Hasbro as well as retailers like Wal-Mart and Toys R Us seem to be taking steps to NOT sell me toys and not make money and the MOTU line is the perfect example. Now I understand that they were taking a chance on a new line, so a bit of caution is warranted as you don’t want pegs full of figures that no one wants, but once the demand is evident it’s time to strike with all the stuff that was missed from the early releases, not simply boxes and boxes of current wave. Like, I can’t find a Beastman, But Zodiac is everywhere? Sure, I can get one for $30 on Ebay right now if I want, but in all honesty I’d rather give that money to Toys R Us and Mattel rather than a reseller, however it may just come to that to complete my collection. And this is not just limited to Mattel, Hasbro is having a hell of a time with all its lines and don’t even get me started on NECA as a Canadian collector. The one company that is actually doing well is McFarlane, which is awesome considering where they were a few years ago and I am happy to support with my cash, given they are happy to take it.

Pros: I have nothing but love for these figures and He-Man is no exception. Nice updated sculpt, workable articulation and three different key accessories including his never used, but very cool axe, his never used, but very practical shield and his always used sword of power.

Cons: For $15 I’m not going to fret too much, but I wish his sword was 2 sided given that it shows off the unfinished side when he holds onto it.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:52 PM   #1068
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

652-2
Jazwares- Fortnite: Sentinel

In preparation for these reviews I often make small notes for myself about the figures that I am opening or taking pictures of. Turns out, the brain has limited room for names of video game characters, especially for ones that you don’t play, so I tend to make up names for figures based on their looks. For the longest time (up until now in fact) Sentinel was simply called Gundam given the clear homage to the Japanese based mech that we all know and love. It wasn’t until I opened him up that I realized it was so much more and this really is why I love this toyline so much. Yes at first glance he certainly looks like a mech of some sort, but a closer look will show that it’s like if you blended Foghorn Leghorn with Tallgeese from the Gundam Wing series. Have a look:

Pros: I really love and appreciate the overall unique design of Sentinel and put it up there with some of the best looking Jazwares figures to date. He has a decent amount of articulation and comes with a bunch of great accessories including a set of wings for a backpack, two guns including a shotgun and machine gun, a sleek pickaxe, and some potions.

Cons: Unfortunately the unique cool looking sculpt creates some drawbacks for the overall articulation and movement and limits the pose ability. Also, that dang finger articulation is really the downfall of this line and even worse on Sentinel.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #1069
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

653-2
Hasbro- Marvel Studios Legends: Korg and The Grandmaster.

In the world of major movies it stands to reason that there will eventually be some crossover of actors within a franchise and I feel that perhaps the two that share the most prevalent actors / characters are Jurassic Park and the MCU. So let’s start with the obvious and move to the lesser know:

1. Jeff Goldblum played the sexy “chaostician” Dr. Ian Malcom and the equally sexy pansexual lord of Sakaar named The Grandmaster.
2. Samuel L Jackson played the chain smoking, computer technician Ray Arnold and literal assembler of the Avengers Nick Fury.
3. Chris Pratt played the Veloci-nanny Owen in the Jurassic World movies and co-leads the Guardians of the Galaxy as Star Lord.
4. Judy Greer plays the soon to be divorced Karen, parent to the boys in Jurassic World and the current divorced wife of Maggie Lane in the Antman movies.
5. Ty Simpkins played Grey, who is possibly the whiniest and most annoying kid at a park filled with dinosaurs in Jurassic World and Harley Keener, a much less annoying kid who helped Tony Stark in Iron Man 3.
And lastly
6. Sam Neill who played the Dino loving, kid hating lead Dr. Alan Grant in Jurassic Park 1 and 3 and the role within a role as “ACTOR ODIN” in Thor: Ragnarok.

Bonus marks for Dallas Brice Howard who played Gwen Stacy in the original Spiderman 3 movie that MAY be joining the MCU in some form or another during the Spiderman: No Way Home movie.

Now if they could just find a way to get the amazing Wayne Knight into the MCU.

Pros: Korg- I love both the characterization and the overall look of Korg which made this set an INSTABUY when I saw it, which was later a mistake given that it was heavily discounted a few months later, but I digress; worth it to have in my collection. A solid unique sculpt, a good amount of usable articulation and a club for fighting.

The Grandmaster- I didn’t have high expectations for The Grandmaster, but to be honest, I’m pleasantly surprised. A solid sculpt, good amount of articulation despite a hard plastic robe and even comes with his liquefying staff thing.

Cons: Korg/The Grandmaster- Honestly? Nothing, I really love both and am glad to have them in my collection.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #1070
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys