ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 10-02-2022, 03:44 PM   #6061
Rj64
Agent of Shield
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

What's next? toys r us won't even let you pick the figure you want, they'll just grab a random character and that's who you get?
Kind of sucks all these changes from the plastic free packaging to the price increases.
I can't tell you how many times I've found a wrestling figure missing the title belt. So maybe all figures will soon be final sale.
Rj64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:44 PM   #6062
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Honestly, this all might be a good thing. The more problems that retailers have with these blind boxes, the more likely they are to complain to Hasbro to bring back the window boxes.

I'm pretty sure Hasbro will abandon their "environmentalist" stance the second their profits start to dip. Hell, they did it with the retro packaging before even trying, because they knew no one would buy them.

Maybe it's my own wishful thinking, but I do hope this pushes them. With year-long preorders based on nothing but renders, there's absolutely no way I'm living with a situation where all sales are final.
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:49 PM   #6063
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
This is only going to help retailers like Amazon.ca and Gamestop thanks to their preorders, and kill TRU's toy business even more. Probably won't be long before Walmart also prohibits returns on closed box ML figures.

Never say never with Gamestop. Don't forget that they will still be stocking their shelves in store with windowless figures. So if it gets bad enough they might decide to do the same.

I think Amazon is pretty safe since they generally don't resell opened/returned items. However I'm sure they'll be rife with "returns" that have been swapped, but no one will ever know because it won't be opened to check.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:53 PM   #6064
MorphGrid
Cobra Trooper

I will say that it's been extremely rare to nonexistent that I find swaps at Gamestops. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but I think you're more likely to get denied a swap return at Gamestop (since the majority of people working there know Marvel and other pop culture stuff), than big box retailers.
MorphGrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:57 PM   #6065
Napseeker
Dark Knight

I know Gamestop won't even accept returns if the box has been opened.

The whole recent issue with Transformers Motormaster/Menasor where people reported yellowing plastic on their new toy led me to ask my local GS clerk if I could return my Motormaster if it had the same issues, and they said that head office is banning returns on closed box Hasbro items going forward.

No returns allowed, due to fears about swappers.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:58 PM   #6066
philtastic
Master of the Universe

So here's what I don't get about swaps. Neither GameStop nor TRU accept returns on open boxes. So how are these getting through? Are these in-store swaps? If so, that doesn't have anything to do with returns.

As for GameStop and windowless boxes, I've noticed several locations displaying empty boxes, keeping the actual figure in the back room. This is what they do with games, too. Primarily to fight theft.

Only one store in my area has a locked glass case where they keep premium figures. Another uses cards with pictures of the items that you give to the clerk, who then gets it from the back. Both of which are much better options than displaying empty boxes, imo.
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:04 PM   #6067
Napseeker
Dark Knight

I recall a swap happening at my old Gamestop store many years ago. They had accepted someone returning a 6-inch Black series SW figure, which had been purchased at another Gamestop. The figure was a swap of an older version of the character IIRC.

I think the swapper/returner simply retaped the box cleanly enough that it didn't appear to have ever been opened. And obviously the staff didn't catch onto the fact that it was an older version of the character that had been swapped for the newer release.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:11 PM   #6068
MorphGrid
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
So here's what I don't get about swaps. Neither GameStop nor TRU accept returns on open boxes. So how are these getting through? Are these in-store swaps? If so, that doesn't have anything to do with returns.
From the swaps that I've seen at TRU. It's usually two things:

1) The employee doesn't pay attention to the fact that the figure art and windowed figure doesn't match. (One example of this was when I saw someone put in a 2014 Winter Soldier on the new Winter Soldier ML at Markville TRU)

2) The employee doesn't pay attention to tampered parts. I was at the TRU that the guy I linked showed of the swapped Ragnarok and Iron Man. In both cases, the person put tape on the bottom of the card, and resealed the Deluxe ML box (you could see the cut tape on the bottom).

I highly doubt that this is happening in-store because most TRUs now have cameras in every aisle, so it'd have to take an insane level of incompetence from L&D to not be able to prevent the theft. I used to work at Target Canada and our L&D went from detecting theft to immediately running on the store floor to catch the person (or calling mall security if we're in a strip/mall).
MorphGrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:15 PM   #6069
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

How come that news cyclops has not shown up anywhere for preorder
Marvellegendsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:18 PM   #6070
random11
Convention Exclusive

Quote: