ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 02-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #341
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

185-2
Hasbro- Sigma Six: Snow Snake Eyes & Timber

I’ve made my opinion known on snow based figures in past reviews, but for those who are not in the know, I love ‘em. Call it national pride, call it love of the overall esthetic, or call it favoritism given that as a kid I would always emulate the “snow guy” when playing outside because it always seemed to be snowy 6 months of the year, I just gravitate to these types of figures.Unfortunately Arctic Snake Eyes just does not hit the mark for me. Thankfully that Sigma Six figures are a bit like pizza: even when they are bad, they are still pretty good.

Pros: First and foremost the inclusion of Snake Eyes’ wolf partner is a pretty great addition to the Sigma Six world and something that I really appreciate. Other accessories are pretty cool in principle, but are not well executed. As with other Sigma Six figures he has a good range of motion with decent articulation.

Cons: While I appreciate his snowboard it just doesn’t work well with the figure. I think the issue could be that it is too small for his height which causes his feet to be too close together and him to just look a bit funny while shredding the pipe. Doesn’t really help that his articulation doesn’t really allow for that kind of leg movement, but I digress; I’m sure a kid would still love it. I have some other minor issues with the hard plastic vest that gets in the way of his head and the rather odd cloth mask that just looks a bit weird while he’s wearing it. Last issue is with Timber; overall really well done, but Hasbro elected to give him (her?) simple swivel joints rather than ball joints for the shoulders and hips. While I understand that it would have probably looked too bulky, it would have given the opportunity for a wider stance and better possibility.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #342
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 03-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #343
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

186-2
DC Collectibles: DC Icons: Aquaman

As of this writing, DC’s new movie Aquaman has not quite hit theaters so it’s unclear if they have a Wonder Woman sized hit or another typical DC yawnfest. (sorry DC Movie fans, they are just not good.) I’m hoping for the latter as I love DC and want to see great movies, but I’m just not certain that they can make it work with the existing blueprint. Time will certainly tell, especially by the time this review is posited, if Aquaman is enough to carry a movie.

Pros: Once again DC Collectibles has hit it out of the park with another amazing Icons sculpt. Unfortunately due to current state of the company I honestly do not think we will see another line with so much sculpted detail as Icons and it’s a damn shame that it was not properly received. One accessory included is a first for me: an additional head with an added sonar accessory that you can plug into a hole in his head to recreate talking to sea life ability. Other accessories such as other hands and his trusty five pointed trident (Pent-dent?) are also included.

Cons: Once again Icons are hindered by a smaller size and having no thigh swivel. Also, on that sonar accessory I had to stretch the head hole a bit to make it fit.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #344
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

187-2
Mattel- DC: Batman 66

Whoa, 4 years to the month I posted my 4th review to the volume 1 thread which was the super fun Surf’n Batman from this same Mattel Batman ‘66 line and I was really excited about the potential that line could have. Just think of the possibilities that a line like this could have? Of course Dynamic Duo, the extended revolving door of colourful villains, and a supporting cast that could keep this line going for years. Instead Mattel did what they always do and completely dropped the ball. Sure we got Batman, a few of the key villains, and previously reviewed Surf’n Batman, but that was really it for single releases. I guess there was a few playsets and exclusives that included Robin and Bat-Girl, but I never saw them in the wild which is a shame as I would have liked my “White Knight” to have his partner in justice. I suppose that it’s just another reason why I’m totally fine with Mattel losing the DC licence.

Pros: I will give credit to DC for capturing the Adam West Batman look in the figure and sculpt as there is little doubt as to which Batman this is.

Cons: No included accessories and typically weak Mattel articulation. I would have given it a pass if there was either a bat-a-rang, extra hands or ankle tilts, but alas Mattel must have blown the budget on sculpt, a fabric cape and a stand.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #345
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

188-2
Disney Toy Box- Disney: Mickey Mouse.

For those who are missing out, Disney Toy Box is a line of fully articulated, somewhat cartoonish, 4-5 inch action figures that are exclusively sold at Disney Stores for a very reasonable $15. They are split into 4 groups that align with Disney’s various IPs and basically rose from the demise of the super popular, and cancelled too early (my opinion) Disney Infinity line. The sublines include Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar and Disney proper and while there is a distinction between line, they share the same stylized sculpting and basic articulation scheme. In short, if you ever wanted Captain America and Mr Incredible to go toe to toe with Darth Vader, this line of figures is for you.

Pros: As a self described Disney fanatic I was extremely happy to see that Mickey Mouse and Pluto were released number 1 of the “Disney Proper” Toy Box Sub-line (Despite Jack Skellington being in stores first) as I feel that the original characters are often overshadowed. Sure they might not have most current movie to tie into, but they are the classics and fans would love a full set of the Fab 5. Sculpting wise Mickey looks great in his classic red, black and white (w/ yellow accents) and Pluto looks like he bounded right out of the cartoon. Articulation wise Mickey has all the standard Toybox points and has decent poseability, but Pluto doesn’t have any which is fine as he is basically an accessory.

Cons: This is not really the fault of the figure as I doubt Mickey was imagined as a 3D form, but there is some awkwardness of the mould and trouble with multiple poses given that he is top heavy with that big old head so much so that his feet are not enough to support.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #346
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 03-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #347
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

189-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Greedo

Did you know that there was a deleted scene in the the Star Wars Prequels that featured a young Greedo getting into mischief thereby sending him on a path to his eventual doom at the hands of a Han Solo? Even though it wouldn’t have been the worst thing to come out of the prequels, I’m glad that they didn’t include it as it would be extremely unnecessary and a little too on the nose for Star Wars fans. Besides, I don’t think that the fandom could handle another retcon of that character, as having him shot at Han first likely caused a few people to commit harakiri with their toy lightsaber. Not that I blame them, but I kind of get it: Han Solo can not be a killer. He is a rouge, a scoundrel and even a scruffy looking nerf herder (sorry, language!), but ultimately he is a hero and in movies, specifically kids movies, and heroes do not murder people without just cause. Yes it softens the character from what Lucas originally had in mind, but looking back, I do not think that “shooting first” fits with Han’s overall characterisation over the scope of all the 5 movies. That said, I’m wondering if there is any redemption for Han’s edited “softer side” from the scene in Solo with Becket? I won’t spoil it, as you people who skipped it still need to watch it (cause it's a decent film and you are missing out), but to me it somewhat makes up for what the special editions did.

Pros: Really great sculpt that captures the details of his Rodian head nicely, Surprising good articulation with excellent poseability and a cool little holster that he can keep his fast than Han’s draw blaster in.

Cons: Nothing really about the figure itself, but he’s the 5th character in the Black Series line which again seems crazy from a release order point of view. I don’t think I will ever understand what Hasbro was thinking here and given that he was a shelf warmer for many years, perhaps Hasbro / the retailers didn’t either.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:22 AM   #348
DanM
Aquanaut

Not a bad figure, but as you said, at the time it didn't make a ton of sense.

A little Greedo story:
Last winter the family was going to Disneyland so I sold off some Black Series figures on ebay for some extra spending cash at the Star Tours store, and Greedo was one of them. I didn't think he was a necessity for the collection so off he went to auction and brought in a modest 40 bucks. As I was packing him up to mail I felt a twinge of regret, but he was bought and paid for, so adios.

Two weeks later we're down in California and I'm checking out Target with my cousin as she hunted for Hatchimals (apparently not available in Australia as she hit all of the Targets and most of the Walmarts in Orange County on her search- it made me shake my head but five years ago- before my kid arrived- I would have been doing the same thing for action figures).

Anyway we're at one of the Targets and what do I spy? Like five Greedos hanging on the pegs with clearance stickers on for $9.99. I took it as a sign and picked up another. This one will be part of the collection permanently.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #349
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
Not a bad figure, but as you said, at the time it didn't make a ton of sense.

A little Greedo story:
Last winter the family was going to Disneyland so I sold off some Black Series figures on ebay for some extra spending cash at the Star Tours store, and Greedo was one of them. I didn't think he was a necessity for the collection so off he went to auction and brought in a modest 40 bucks. As I was packing him up to mail I felt a twinge of regret, but he was bought and paid for, so adios.

Two weeks later we're down in California and I'm checking out Target with my cousin as she hunted for Hatchimals (apparently not available in Australia as she hit all of the Targets and most of the Walmarts in Orange County on her search- it made me shake my head but five years ago- before my kid arrived- I would have been doing the same thing for action figures).

Anyway we're at one of the Targets and what do I spy? Like five Greedos hanging on the pegs with clearance stickers on for $9.99. I took it as a sign and picked up another. This one will be part of the collection permanently.
That's actually hilarious- some old school ZELLERS type stuff (which reminds me of a story for my next retro review). What are the chances that a figure from what, like 7 years ago, still be on the shelves in some random target with someone actually wanting to buy it?

Also, if I knew that Greedo was going for $40 on ebay I'm not sure that I would have opened him...

Ah who am I kidding? the completest in me would never let that happen... although, I do go to Disney quite often
Old 03-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #350
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

190-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: The Wasp.

It’s funny when I open figure that was already used as a retool/repaint for a figure that that I had opened in the past. In this case The Wasp was the initial release and The Beetle was from the Absorbing Man wave and basically share all the same key parts; something that I am totally fine with given that its allows for multiple different characters with little extra cost. I also appreciate that Hasbro Marvel Legends tend not to just do straight repaints opting for different heads or other re-tooling. In the Wasps’ case I believe the head and lower torso are unique with the rest including hands and wings being the same. And while I think they did a nice job with Janet or the Wasp’s 2000 era, pre MCU head sculpt, I just prefer a “masked or helmeted” super hero, I mean isn’t that the key part of being a superhero?

Pros: Really great head sculpt capturing The Wasps comic accurate, and sensible short haired look, nice looking costume with added wings and decent articulation.

Cons: I think it would have been cool if they included some integrated energy blasts to emulate her powers.