ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 11-21-2021, 05:31 PM   #111
cobralegion
Decepticon
Re: Haslab Projects General Discussion

Am I missing something? People saying the Skystriker will hit its goal but it needs to hit 280 units a day over the next 16 days and isn't even close. Doesn't seem likely or do these things get 3000 backers on the last few days? Did anyone see the comparison photos? People saying it looks a little bigger but then they just had the new one out front with wings extended and wheels down with older ones in background with wings folded in and wheels up lol. And Rancor is even worse off now. Too many released at the same time with not enough quality/value in them.

Last edited by cobralegion; 11-21-2021 at 05:35 PM.
cobralegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #112
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
The Rancor...............

Well, it is still there at least? It has lost 289 backers since my Friday morning update. The Fan First Friday did a good job of crystallizing a portion of the backers to say "no thanks". I don't know what they can, or will, do to course correct, but I know that losing backers 4 out of the last 7 days is not good. If the backer count goes down again today into tomorrow I have to think Hasbro will have to do something. I don't imagine they can fluff off a failed Haslab for one of their premiere properties.
As much as I really want the Rancor, though I haven't backed it yet, I also kind of want to see it fail at this point, for no other reason than hopefully Hasbro will learn a lesson. That lesson being not to take their customers for granted, and keep their hubris in check.

I feel like Hasbro needs a big, public failure as a good kick in the ass to get their shit together. We are not here to gobble up whatever piece of plastic they throw at us. Make something cool, and exciting, and worth the astronomical prices, or go home, Hasbro.
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #113
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobralegion View Post
Am I missing something? People saying the Skystriker will hit its goal but it needs to hit 280 units a day over the next 16 days and isn't even close. Doesn't seem likely or do these things get 3000 backers on the last few days? Did anyone see the comparison photos? People saying it looks a little bigger but then they just had the new one out front with wings extended and wheels down with older ones in background with wings folded in and wheels up lol. And Rancor is even worse off now. Too many released at the same time with not enough quality/value in them.

Most of the Haslabs, and kickstarters/crowd funds, in general have what I call the "bump, slump & jump."

They all start with a bump in the first couple of days. Then they hit the slump in the middle where usually there is a slow addition. Finally in the last few days the jump where they add a lot more backers.

Ever since the Sentinel the Haslabs have had a pattern of a big bump at the beginning. Then a slow period in the middle and in the final days another large jump. They can vary, but recently a lot of them had a jump at the end of at least 8,000 backers.

I don't imagine that the Skystriker will be as big as those, but if it can get close to 7,000 backers before the final few days it should see another big jump due to FOMO. That will put it over the top for funding, and possibly even get them up to at least the first tier.

The Rancor is another story. There is no precedent for this Haslab. None of the Haslabs have ever lost this many backers during the campaign. They may have been slow, or had a blip here or there, but to lose hundreds of backers over the course of a few days is unprecedented. This flips the whole Haslab model on it's head for the first time. Cookie Monster is the only Haslab to fail and it was anemic from the beginning (in regards to backers). The Rancor got off to a good start, but has always lagged behind the other 2 projects the entire time. Now with the large number of cancellations there is real fear that it may not fund. I still think there will be enough to get it across the goal line in the end, but I can't be certain anymore.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:05 PM   #114
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Most of the Haslabs, and kickstarters/crowd funds, in general have what I call the "bump, slump & jump."

They all start with a bump in the first couple of days. Then they hit the slump in the middle where usually there is a slow addition. Finally in the last few days the jump where they add a lot more backers.

Ever since the Sentinel the Haslabs have had a pattern of a big bump at the beginning. Then a slow period in the middle and in the final days another large jump. They can vary, but recently a lot of them had a jump at the end of at least 8,000 backers.

I don't imagine that the Skystriker will be as big as those, but if it can get close to 7,000 backers before the final few days it should see another big jump due to FOMO. That will put it over the top for funding, and possibly even get them up to at least the first tier.

The Rancor is another story. There is no precedent for this Haslab. None of the Haslabs have ever lost this many backers during the campaign. They may have been slow, or had a blip here or there, but to lose hundreds of backers over the course of a few days is unprecedented. This flips the whole Haslab model on it's head for the first time. Cookie Monster is the only Haslab to fail and it was anemic from the beginning (in regards to backers). The Rancor got off to a good start, but has always lagged behind the other 2 projects the entire time. Now with the large number of cancellations there is real fear that it may not fund. I still think there will be enough to get it across the goal line in the end, but I can't be certain anymore.
If it doesn't get funded it might mean the end of Black Series haslabs or Hasbro will smarten up and learn from this the next go around. But I have a feeling this may be the only Haslab black series product we might ever see

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 11-21-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:55 PM   #115
wedge1021
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
If it doesn't get funded it might mean the end of Black Series haslabs or Hasbro will smarten up and learn from this the next go around. But I have a feeling this may be the only Haslab black series product we might ever see
Knowing Hasbro, I think the only lesson they will take from this is the wrong one, ie. Black Series doesn't work as a Haslab. Then they'll just go and repeat the same mistakes on the next TVC project, which most likely will succeed because at least in that line, some people actually care about things like vintage cards, coins and packaging.

Black Series can work as a Haslab project, but they have to treat it differently. Most 6" collectors don't care about special packaging (or even packaging period), and expect to get unique pack-in figures that wouldn't otherwise become available. There's a lot of collector crossover with the Marvel Legends line, and the team that did the Sentinel and Galactus get it. We see how those projects went and are looking for that in a Black Series project. 6" Star Wars collectors are closer in preference to ML collectors than they are to 3.75" Star Wars collectors.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:53 AM   #116
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge1021 View Post
Knowing Hasbro, I think the only lesson they will take from this is the wrong one, ie. Black Series doesn't work as a Haslab. Then they'll just go and repeat the same mistakes on the next TVC project, which most likely will succeed because at least in that line, some people actually care about things like vintage cards, coins and packaging.

Black Series can work as a Haslab project, but they have to treat it differently. Most 6" collectors don't care about special packaging (or even packaging period), and expect to get unique pack-in figures that wouldn't otherwise become available. There's a lot of collector crossover with the Marvel Legends line, and the team that did the Sentinel and Galactus get it. We see how those projects went and are looking for that in a Black Series project. 6" Star Wars collectors are closer in preference to ML collectors than they are to 3.75" Star Wars collectors.
Yea I agree with this 100%. Most black series collectors could care less about vintage packaging. I don't know whether it's the team is out of touch or their budget has become non existent and creating this problem, but I have a feeling it's a mix of both.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:05 AM   #117
philtastic
Master of the Universe

It's not about budget, though. That's what the stupid haslab is all about. If the project doesn't get funded, it doesn't go forward. They don't have to worry about the budget for other figures.

At the same, they were trying to pull a fast one by throwing out all these recycled stretch goals. Besides the bones, none of it requires any new tooling. It's two old figures (one of which is in active production: Crumb), and a new figure that will be available in the main line without retro packaging (Jedi Luke).

9,000 backers at $350 is $3.15 Million. And they want more than double that for all the stretch goals. That's $6.65 Million in total, or $3.5 Million just for the stretch goals. THREE AND A HALF MILLION DOLLARS!!! For shit that costs them nothing except the plastic.

I bet not everyone has done the math, but I'm pretty sure everyone can feel that they're getting the shaft. No likes being taken advantage of, and that's exactly what everyone knows is happening.
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:09 AM   #118
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Update:

Skystriker: 5,620 / 10,000 (+24)
Rancor: 4,825 / 9,000 (-21)
Proton Pack: 9,356 . 7,000 (+217)

Again the Skystriker is a bit below the daily average, which is starting to bring down the daily average, but the Proton Pack is back up on it's daily average. It will probabaly hit the second tier sometime next week.

The Rancor, is the Rancor. The new normal seems to be losses. Another day of losses (-21). Being Monday, and the start of a new week, I wonder if we will see anything from Hasbro? 2 weeks and 19+ hours to go until the end.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #119
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
It's not about budget, though. That's what the stupid haslab is all about. If the project doesn't get funded, it doesn't go forward. They don't have to worry about the budget for other figures.

At the same, they were trying to pull a fast one by throwing out all these recycled stretch goals. Besides the bones, none of it requires any new tooling. It's two old figures (one of which is in active production: Crumb), and a new figure that will be available in the main line without retro packaging (Jedi Luke).

9,000 backers at $350 is $3.15 Million. And they want more than double that for all the stretch goals. That's $6.65 Million in total, or $3.5 Million just for the stretch goals. THREE AND A HALF MILLION DOLLARS!!! For shit that costs them nothing except the plastic.

I bet not everyone has done the math, but I'm pretty sure everyone can feel that they're getting the shaft. No likes being taken advantage of, and that's exactly what everyone knows is happening.
I'm talking about budget when it comes to what they give the backers as tiers. A new Luke was going to be coming in the main wave eventually anyway so they made him a tier cause they'll make their Money back on him even if he isn't unlocked. But for figures that would never see a retail release like Slave Leia, Rancor keeper and Oola, if they make prototypes of these figures and they aren't unlocked it's basically a waste of money for them. Also, budget still matters for the Rancor. Despite it not getting made if it isn't backed, it still costs money to design it and make a working prototype. Especially something of that size. Now of course for a multi billion dollar company it isn't all that much to them but as we all know, Hasbro is greedy and likes taking advantage of fans so any kind of reasoning they have behind screwing the backers isn't excusable.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #120
cloud
Master of the Universe

I see a lot of talks about Hasbro being greedy. I don't know what make you guys came to that conclusion but it's just business.
They nneed to make money and that's it.
And on the contrary. They have a price point they want to set but also they are aware if it's too expensive, they will lose sales.
The HasLab projects exists for a reason. They don't fit the retail model. Or as exclusives.

At the end, don't like it don't buy it. Just feeling too much negativity here.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote