ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 02-11-2024, 09:53 AM   #31
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe
Re: GameStop Policy Changes

From what I could find there’s currently 1,904 funkos slated for release in 2024.
sixshot1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:32 AM   #32
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
From what I could find there?s currently 1,904 funkos slated for release in 2024.

That's insanely stupid. That's over 5 releases a day if spread out evenly. That is just not a realistic product release schedule no matter how widespread you think your market is.

I found this link. The title says 2024 releases, but it actually only shows the releases for the first quarter of 2024. Still it is almost 400 items!! Insane.

https://www.geekyhobbies.com/2024-fu...oming-figures/

Considering they had to dump at estimated $30 million (US) of product into waste it clearly is no longer a sustainable model.

I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a larger uproar from the environmental groups out there that love to jump on these types of wasteful practices.

Oh and to keep this on topic somewhat....Today's "Sunday Funday" sales have a couple of ok deals on some Hasbro products. Of course it all depends on if they are still in stock anywhere near you, and not as good as their $5 Friday deals.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:54 PM   #33
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

It's crazy man.

Dunno why you need that many...
Old 02-11-2024, 03:02 PM   #34
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Funko Pops model is to represent ALL fandoms. From scifi to comics to music to movies to tv shows and everything in between.

However, this thread is for GameStop policy changes, so let's try and keep it about that topic.

Thanks!
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:57 AM   #35
Robimus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
It's crazy man.

Dunno why you need that many...

I don't think the concept of the Funko Pop is a gotta catch em all type approach.

It's very diverse thing. Like major sports teams all get some, so there are Ike close to 200 teams right there counting the big 4 plus soccer, college, what have you.

The Royal Family gets them. Run DMC get them. Like everything gets them.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:33 AM   #36
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I don't think the concept of the Funko Pop is a gotta catch em all type approach.

It's very diverse thing. Like major sports teams all get some, so there are Ike close to 200 teams right there counting the big 4 plus soccer, college, what have you.

The Royal Family gets them. Run DMC get them. Like everything gets them.
Sorry don't mean to derail...I meant more from a company approach than a collectible approach

But I hear ya !
Old 02-28-2024, 11:13 PM   #37
MC Culla
Cobra Trooper

Oof, just saw this thread now and I am echoing the feeling of the need to step back from toy collecting, and this has been building for awhile.

For quite some time the Edge discount kept me justifying buying a lot across many lines but if it goes away I will becoming a lot more selective, likely would have reached this conclusion regardless though. If GameStop does what we are expecting them to do and blow up Edge, would agree that for Canada, Pulse might be the best first option if you need immediately, I think they come out cheaper even with exchange, even if by a dollar or two.

I have hit the point as many collectors do where I am out of room, desire to spend, and need to spend on other things. I have a room full of stacked up boxed figures that I do not honestly see ever opening and now wondering why I bought that Jyn Erso or 5th version of Wolverine that I will likely not even display. FOMO for sure at the time. But seeing Pulse Con items now on outlet on Pulse makes me feel like a chump for spending full price on these. I realize a reckoning of sorts is coming where product will likely become more limited, but for the first time in years I feel I am ok missing out on releases and playing the long game or waiting for the inevitable re-release, or just simply not buying them.
MC Culla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:25 AM   #38
Mudflap
Clonetrooper

I only became aware of Gamestop's 15 day return policy change yesterday when I was going to buy a figure. I decided not to buy it when the clerk informed me of the change at the register. It was intended as a gift to give a friend later in March, but that's too narrow of a return window if it turned out he already had it. I may still buy it closer to the birthday. A lot of customer unfriendly policy changes.
Mudflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:17 PM   #39
Napseeker
Dark Knight

I guess we should be thankful that they haven't gone the same route as TRU and put a total ban on returning any item considered a "collectible" (as my local TRU has).

At least for now. That policy at TRU made me stop buying stuff for friends who lived far from TRU since I couldn't return it if my pals changed their mind within 90 days.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:23 AM   #40
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Toy collecting in Canada has become quite rough unfortunately and taking away the edge discount will be the nail in the coffin for many. Between high prices, high shipping and lack of regular clearance, there's no way to collect on a budget anymore. It seems as if retailers in Canada want to turn the market into a high end collector market, with premium pricing, which would be okay.. if the stuff they were selling at these prices weren't the equivalent of a budget toy in the states that regularly go on sale for dirt cheap.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collectibles, figures, gamestop, return policy, toys