ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #841
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

501-2
Playmates- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic: Michelangelo

***audible sigh***

Well I watched it so you don’t have too and I can now finally confidently say that Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is not for me. I mean, I could only get through 3 minutes of a random episode from season 2, but it was enough… I guess it could be fun for kids that have grown up on a steady diet of Adventure Time and Teen Titans Go!, but to me it just seems so artificial. This is not a new exciting take on a piece of pop culture that has been around for decades, but rather a very weak attempt at the silly cartoon genre that has become extremely long in the tooth and I think the Turtles fans deserved better.

Pros: Funny enough I’ve been familiar with this version of Michelangelo for longer than every other TMNT figure in my collection as my son had, and played with him, when he first came out. At the time I was really blown away at the level of articulation and detail for these figures and really made me excited to open my own version…. 8 years later. As with his brothers, Mikey has a nice sculpt, good articulation and storage for his awesome chained nunchucks. I’m not sure I said it with the other “classic” figures, but I do appreciate the included stand.

Cons: As with the others, the torso / shell limits some of the poseability and while I LOVE the real chains on his chucks, coupled with some of the articulation, it limits his ability to hold them.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:09 PM   #842
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

502-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Wolverine

Well, be prepared for a veritable flood of Wolverine figures coming down the pike, because I sure have a lot on the pile. Not that I’m complaining as he is easily one of my favorite Marvel characters and this could be one of my favorite Wolverine “looks”. Don’t get me wrong, the blue and yellow has a real classic feel, but would look out of place in the real world. It also reminds me of my comic collecting infancy where the Wolverine solo title was one of the biggest books going. Sure, I never had the money to get anything cool, but I specifically recall my good friend picking up a rare book from the local comic book store. I’d also say that when Disney introduces the X-Men into the MCU I would suspect they may use this tamer colour scheme, but they do have a history of incorporating more updated looks to the classic characters.

Pros: I suspect that Hasbro is just re-tooling/painting the same mould over and over for each of these Wolverine figures, but I don’t care as the sculpt is fantastic, the articulation almost perfect and I love the different hand selection.

Cons: Unfortunately my Wolverine has a few issues with both his mask fins bending back and his claws being slightly askew. I assume unless I want to spend the extra money on the medal claws, I just need to suck it up.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #843
ghostlurk29
Mutant

Hasbro has mostly nailed it with their recent Wolverines. They just need to get that masked head splayed out properly....
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:15 PM   #844
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 View Post
Hasbro has mostly nailed it with their recent Wolverines. They just need to get that masked head splayed out properly....
Yeah, might be a constant battle to straighten out those points; that goes for the claws too.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #845
Toradoch
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
502-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Wolverine

Well, be prepared for a veritable flood of Wolverine figures coming down the pike, because I sure have a lot on the pile. Not that I’m complaining as he is easily one of my favorite Marvel characters and this could be one of my favorite Wolverine “looks”. Don’t get me wrong, the blue and yellow has a real classic feel, but would look out of place in the real world. It also reminds me of my comic collecting infancy where the Wolverine solo title was one of the biggest books going. Sure, I never had the money to get anything cool, but I specifically recall my good friend picking up a rare book from the local comic book store. I’d also say that when Disney introduces the X-Men into the MCU I would suspect they may use this tamer colour scheme, but they do have a history of incorporating more updated looks to the classic characters.

Pros: I suspect that Hasbro is just re-tooling/painting the same mould over and over for each of these Wolverine figures, but I don’t care as the sculpt is fantastic, the articulation almost perfect and I love the different hand selection.

Cons: Unfortunately my Wolverine has a few issues with both his mask fins bending back and his claws being slightly askew. I assume unless I want to spend the extra money on the medal claws, I just need to suck it up.
I would love to see this with an updated Romita cowl-back face sculpt. It's how I always picture his pensive moments in the solo mini-series etc.
Toradoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #846
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toradoch View Post
I would love to see this with an updated Romita cowl-back face sculpt. It's how I always picture his pensive moments in the solo mini-series etc.
Yeah, with all the tiger stripe variants, I’d like to see this suit get a bit more love.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #847
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

503-2
Jazwares- Fortnite Legendary Series: Raven

For those keeping score (and why would you be?), I just recently opened the Jazwares Fornite figure Enforcer in review 499-2, so why open 2 so close together? Well, Raven was the original figure that was SUPPOSED to be featured, but he had a bit of a catastrophic failure and I ended up breaking his arm off at the bicep swivel. Thankfully I was able to find another, hence the out of sequence review, but it was still a frustrating thing as I HATE when my figures break. Unfortunately this has happened to yet another Jazwares Fortnite figure (review forthcoming) and I was able to fix it, but it looks as though they are going to send me out a replacement regardless. The issue, if you are wondering, is that the shoulder joint is super stiff and it's fairly easy to snap the pin on the bicep when trying to force the arm. I’ve looked at ways to loosen the joint (hot water or hairdryer) but anything done to the shoulder will still affect the bicep, so it won’t help. I’ve learned my lesson on these, so if I encounter another frozen joint I’ll just deal with the limited mobility rather than another broken arm.

Pros: If I were to guess, I would think that Raven was a bit of a fan favorite and with due reason: He looks really cool. Overall Raven has a super articulated, detailed sculpt with a bunch of original looking medieval armor and flowing robes, A sniper rifle (that he can actually aim), one of the most unique, best looking pick axes, a creepy looking backpack that matches the pick axe, a cosmic looking box and of course the 3 expression faces.

Cons: Unfortunately mine came with a frozen shoulder joint that caused the bicep joint to snap and the arm to break off which was a super bummer considering that I had high hopes for this guy. Outside of that, I really hate when toys are made with rounded boots. Yes they look cool, but I have a tough time trying to pose them.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:04 PM   #848
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

504-2
Bandai: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans: Gundam Barbatos.

These new Bandai Gundams caught me off guard as I did not realize they were coming out; A surprise, but a welcome one to be sure. My enjoyment of Gundam goes back to the Gundam Wing days in the late 90’s, but I’m embarrassed to say that it did not keep up with it like I should; I suppose it was just too difficult to track episodes of the show down and they stopped making toys. Fast forward to today where (some) action figures are back on (some) shelves and a few Gundam Series are available on Netflix; it’s a win-win! This particular Gundam is from a series called Iron-Blooded Orphans and trust me when I say this, they are not burying the lead on that title as the series literally follows some extremely tough orphans that were basically slave labourers. I only watched a few episodes to get a feel for the show and to see the suit in action, but I enjoyed what I saw. The animation is almost worth checking out in itself and puts “American” animation to shame… another thing we can thank Adventure Time for I guess.

Pros: My collection is full of Bandai Gundam figures from the height of their North American popularity in the late nineties, so I had a good idea of what to expect from these new Gundam Universe figures and to be honest, they exceeded my expectations. First off, the detail of the figure is awesome and looks as though he was plucked right off my TV. Secondly the accessories work well and include a few extra fists, a sword that can be wielded with both hands, and of course, his oversized mace that initially looks silly, but is in reality, extremely badass. Interestly enough he also comes with a little detachable port that you can use in conjunction with a sold separately stand and while I would have loved an included stand, this is a nice trade off.

Cons: The figure itself is fully articulated and can hold a number of decent poses, but the design does limit some of the poses. He also feels a bit light and dare I say fragile? I was scared to mess around too much for fear of breaking a part off.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #849
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

505-2
Mcfarlane Toys- Mortal Kombat: Scorpion

***disapproving head shake***

GOOD Toy Angel on left shoulder: Mortal Kombat? First Fortnite, then Overwatch and now it’s Mortal Kombat toys? Why? We don't even play video games and even when we did play games we sucked so bad at Mortal Kombat that we always had to use Liu Kang cause he could just do that flying kick thing. What will we buy next? Power Ranger figures?

EVIL Toy Angel on my right shoulder: Well, that’s not really fair. Sure, it’s a bit out of the scope of our collecting habits, but what is wrong with a bit of variety and all things considered, these look really cool. Besides, Mcfarlane has done a really good job on Fortnite, Harry Potter and Star Trek, why not give these a go? Also, we made our wife look for the MK11 Spawn figure while she was in Maui; it would be a crime if Spawn had no one to fight with right?

GOOD Toy Angel on left shoulder: Ha! You're bringing SPAWN into this? You think a literal SPAWN of HELL will change my mind? It's a whole other line that we have no space for.

Evil Toy Angel on left shoulder: Did I mention that these are only $23?

Good Toy Angel on left shoulder: Really?

Evil Toy Angel on left shoulder: Yep

***Me reaching for the figure on the shelf***

“GET OVER HERE!!!”

Pros: Scorpion is a great example of what Mcfarlane Toys does well. A fantastic detailed sculpt that meets the source material, a decent amount of articulation for a variety of poses, a perfect amount of accessories and even a stand that makes displaying the figure a sinch and all for less than a current Marvel Legend or Black Series figure.

Cons: Two very minor things: 1. I wish the “get over here” chain was a bit more sturdy to not bend while he is posed with it and 2. The duel sword scabbard is connected with a square pin that is nearly impossible to get into place. I mean, I don;t think it is coming out, but I'll be goddamned if I didn’t rip a layer of skin trying to get it into place.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #850
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

506-2
Disney Toybox: Marvel Universe- Rocket Raccoon and Groot

“Ain't Nothin' Like Me, Cept' Me.” One of my favorite quotes from the marvel movies and is really the best way to describe the character of Rocket Raccoon. Or is it just Rocket now? Given that this version is from the MCU and the package just says Rocket, we will go with that. Overall I like the character of Rocket, but feel as though we’ve had a bit of a Rocket overdose lately given that he was such a big part of GOTG 2, Avengers Infinity War and Avengers Endgame. I’m not really complaining and I would have felt the same if it was Groot or Drax in his place, but I would be good if they did not make Rocket the new Iron Man of the MCU. (not that it’s an option, but just saying).

Pros: Rocket is one of those Toybox figures that simply looks like an articulated version of the Disney Infinity figurines and that's a good thing as they all looked great. Also has a good amount of articulation. Two massive guns that match his personality and of course a very adorable baby Groot.

Cons: Scale is a bit of an issue here as Rocket is about the same size, or bigger than his Marvel Legend counterpart. Additionally he really would have benefited from a stand given that he is nearly impossible to stand without outside support also the backpack tends to fall off really easily. Lastly and this is more of a Toybox issue, it’s too bad that they will likely not make the rest of the team.