ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 11-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #1141
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

702-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Guavian Enforcer.

A lot of people have criticised The Force Awakens for coming up short in certain aspects and while I agree to a point, I also feel that juggling 4 new main characters while still incorporating 4 original characters is a rather big task. No wonder there was limited time for some of the more interesting characters to be featured. I mean, take the Guavian Enforcer here; it’s an extremely cool looking uniform that was part of a really tough, badass crew that was hunting Han Solo. I mean, these were basically Bounty Hunters and as Star Wars fans we LOVE us some bounty hunters. I’d like to say that these guys have had a resurgence in some of the other Star Wars media, but I think they were forgotten as quickly as they were shown on the big screen. Still blows my mind that a figure was made of them though.

Pros: A lot of care was put into the design of the Guvian Enforcer and if I’m being honest, it’s one of the better Black Series figures in recent history. They have a fantastic detailed sculpt, a good amount of usable articulation and two unique looking blasters. Seriously cool stuff.

Cons: Outside of the obvious “Who is this guy?” question, the joints are gummy and make me really nervous that they will rip. I would also have loved some type of holster for his blasters.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:57 PM   #1142
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinga View Post
Overtaker is a reference to the Stig from Top Gear.
Oh that’s amazing! Nice little node to the show!
Old 11-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #1143
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

703-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Darkhawk

I love me some 90’s goodness. Unfortunately it’s not the goodness that I was hoping for as my most favorite 90’s comic character Sleepwalker has STILL yet to be released even though so many other c-listers have had their time in plastic, but I digress; something 90’s is still better than nothing from the 90’s. That said, I’m not sure that I recall much about Darkhawk outside of the fact that a magic alien gem gives him a suit with magical powers, which now that I think about it sounds a whole lot like powers and abilities of the newer Blue Beetle featured in DC Comics. The crazy part is that I’m not sure who predated who? Sure Darkhawk is older than the current Blue Beetle, but there have been other Blue Beetles in the past, however none that use a magic alien stone to give them a suit of armor and powers. So who copied who? All I know is that these questions wouldn’t need to be answered if they picked Sleepwalker over Darkhawk.

Pros: I’m a sucker for 90’s Marvel characters so picking up Darkhawk was a no brainer and Hasbro did a really great job on the overall figure. A nice sculpt with details from the 90’s costume that include removable wings and his weird tri-tentacle wrist thing and a solid amount of articulation for a number of great poses.

Cons: The overall design is great, but the materials are less than desirable. Cheap feeling plastic and rubbery joints make this figure feel extremely fragile.

Old 11-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #1144
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

704-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime: Dreadwing.

I’ve said it before, but I REALLY need to watch Transformers Prime, If not just to see Dreadwing in action. I had no idea, but apparently his time in the Prime universe was marred with the death of his brother and a lust for murder to avenge it; I mean, that’s kind of bad ass right? I suppose I would first need to get through the slog of the first season with the kids and such, but might eventually be worth it. That said, I still need to finish the rest of the War for Cybertron trilogy, the Bad Batch and about a million other things before I jump into anything new, but I’m sure there will be time eventually.

Pros: Voyager Dreadwing is overall a fairly impressive figure: looks great as compared to the cartoon in both modes, has an equally fun and challenging transformation and a decent range of motion with a good amount of poseability. I also appreciate including both accessories but…..

Cons: I HATE the “spring loaded light up” blaster that is included. Like it’s not fun at all and he looks hilarious while basically holding a box. Also, the robot mode has some tab issues making it a bit floppy, which is one of my biggest pet peeves on any Transformer.

Old 11-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #1145
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 11-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #1146
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

705-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends Riders: Captain America

What are everyone’s thoughts on Marvel’s recent (at the time of this writing anyways) What If? Disney Plus series? I’m only 3 episodes in and for the most part I’m enjoying it. And while each episode has been a stand alone story it’s clear that they are building to a bigger finale that will tie it all together. Without getting too far into it right now, I will say that I would have preferred a crazier premise involving other heroes or villains from the Marvel Universe rather than a gender/character swap. In any case, I’m going to spread my thoughts on each episode over the next few Marvel Legends reviews starting with EP1- Captain Carter.

Pros: Rider Captain America may be the best Marvel Legends / Gi Joe Classified figure that I have currently in my collection. I’m not even kidding, he’s honestly incredible and I can’t believe I picked him up for like $40 off a Facebook seller. Capt’s sculpt is perfect and has a ton of detail throughout, has lots of usable articulation and some amazing accessories including a knife with sheath, a machine gun that fits in a holster on his motorcycle and a handgun with a covered holster on his belt. Outside of that, his bike rocks and is a big upgrade over the previous Wolverine one with extra attachments and he also fits really well on it.

Cons: While I don’t mind the masked head/helmet look, an unmasked version of Steve would have been perfect.

Old 11-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #1147
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 11-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #1148
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

706-2
NECA- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie: The Shredder

So, here’s the thing: I know my intention was really only to pick up the four brothers, but I’m just so enamored with the turtles NECA line that I had to add a few more extra characters to the lot. And why shouldn’t I support a line of really well produced figures from a movie that I enjoyed immensely as a youth? I suppose the fact that these figures were actually available at retail for a reasonable price makes it that much easier. On that note, what is the deal with NECA and their abhorrent distribution outside of the US? They eventually show up at my LCS, but usually months after hitting US shelves and for a bit of a markup. But why not at TRU’s? Wal-Mart’s? Or even earlier at LCSs? WHAT’S THE DEAL????

Pros: Shredder is better than I could imagine. He has an amazing sculpt with tons of detail that matches the movie design, a good amount of usable articulation and lots of accessories including a few hands, a pointy bo staff, a knife and sheath, and finally a wired soft goods cape that actually looks amazing while on.

Cons: I love detail, but sometimes it can go too far. For example, his spikes are legit sharp and make it a bit difficult to work with the cloth cape. Also, I can’t figure out why they would include a knife and sheath, but nowhere on his person to store it.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #1149
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

707-2
McFarlane Toys: DC Multiverse- Batman Arkham Asylum

It’s been a very long time since I played a video game which is an odd feeling given that I used to play for hours, but I ultimately decided that it was not a good use of my time. That’s not to say that I look down on anyone else that plays, but that it’s just not for me any longer. I suppose there is something about moderation that I missed during those years playing hours of COD online, but it is what it is. One game that I do recall fondly and still feel is one of the best games that I have ever completed (story, not 100% everything mind you) is the Batman Arkham Asylum game. Superhero games, especially Batman ones, had historically been kind of terrible, but the open world Spider-Man games gave us hope that a comic game could actually be good. The great thing about AA was the combination of puzzle solving and beat ‘em up action all in a world that “Bat fans” can really appreciate. I suppose the only downside was that the game only took place in one defined location, but for someone like me that doesn’t do well in open world games without rails to steer me in the right direction it worked fairly well. I understand that there were a number of follow up games that were a bit of a mixed bag, but I was not able to get into them.

Pros: Based on the Arkham Asylum game, Batman has a familiar, yet unique sculpt, with a lot of detail that you would expect from McFarlane. Good amount of articulation and surprising amount of game specific accessories for a McFarlane figure, including two bat-a-rangs, a grapple gun and a smoke bomb.

Cons: It’s hard to explain, but from the waist down the sculpt just looks… funny. Almost like his hips and legs are too skinny and miss proportioned as compared to the rest of his body. Also, while I like the look of a hard plastic cape, it really interferes with the poseability of a figure. I’m sure there is a soft goods option that manufacturers could come up with, but it’s just too cost prohibitive.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:23 PM   #1150
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

708-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Trailbreaker

I really have to hand it to Hasbro for their ability to take a toy, complete a few minor retools and slap some new paint to create a whole new figure that will trick most kids, and sometimes collectors including myself, into thinking they are different figures entirely. I mean, it’s pretty clear when the figures are right next to each other, but when they are released at a different time, or perhaps have different animation models it’s certainly not clear. And honestly, more power to Hasbro for it given that it increases the amount of released figures and potential characters. That said, my goodwill to mould re-use ends with lazy repaints that have been prevalent in so many recent toy lines. I mean, if you are going to make collectors buy another of the same figure, they could at least make it worth it.

Pros: I recently reviewed Hoist, which is basically a re-tooled version of Trailbreaker and I didn’t have the warm fuzzies for it. That said, and I can’t explain it, I like Trailbreaker way better. Looks better in both modes, had no issues with the transformation and just got greater satisfaction from it. Odd.

Cons: The bed cover is an integral part to the design and needed to complete the vehicle mode, but Hasbro's solution to use it as a weapon is laughable. Both Hoist and Trailbreaker should have been given guns or arm cannons instead.