ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-12-2022, 09:48 PM   #21
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe
Re: Toys R Us Canada Announces all Collector Items Products as FINAL SALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canukle View Post
I had said: "Sucks a bit more for parents buying gifts for their kids, but I'd bet that action figures and collectibles are a small percentage of that market anyway"

Some parents that buy these as a gift for their (and I'm sure there are some - kids come in older varieties, too) will probably be a little annoyed by the new policy. The kids themselves won't be affected. That's all I was saying.

Anyway, it's all a little more inconvenient, but hardly the death of TRU as some people say
Oh Ok. I couldn't really tell what you were getting at but I get it now. One of the unfortunate downsides to communicating through text.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:12 PM   #22
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
Don't parents/kids buy 80% of Marvel Legends toys stock? If it was just collectors, they would be sold exclusively online rather than the kid toy section of retail stores.
Kids parents do buy ML but the percentage is significantly lower in my opinion. I dont necessarily think that if collectors made up the mass majority(which in my opinion they do) of the sales it would mean ML would exclusively be sold online only. Why?

Because having adult collectibles in the toy aisle at these retailers still has benefit. It gets people in the stores. You go to see if the new wave dropped at Target, Walmart. Cool let me grab a few things while I'm here. You might even stop going to your local grocery store and start going to Walmart simply cause you can peep the toy aisle. It's a very real thing.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #23
VincentVega
Cobra Trooper

Spector Creative says ML and Black Series sell primarily to kids on his YouTube channel. I don't buy it. Star Wars maybe but kids wouldn't know who even a quarter of the Legends figures are because they're very obscure comic only characters. A 10byear old isn't chomping at the bit for X-Men figures from a 30 year old comic event.
VincentVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:01 PM   #24
wesperino
Mutant

If this is the case, hasbro should step up and actually have replacements when you call them with a defect from a purchase.

I?ve been sent all kinds of stuff from them when I have issues with a purchase but they never send me an actual replacement, they just send whatever they have in the warehouse. I had an issue with the silver paint on the jack Kirby styled ultron from the Ironman wave a couple years ago. They sent me a modok which I in turn gave away cuz IDGAF about Modok.
wesperino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:13 PM   #25
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesperino View Post
If this is the case, hasbro should step up and actually have replacements when you call them with a defect from a purchase.

I?ve been sent all kinds of stuff from them when I have issues with a purchase but they never send me an actual replacement, they just send whatever they have in the warehouse. I had an issue with the silver paint on the jack Kirby styled ultron from the Ironman wave a couple years ago. They sent me a modok which I in turn gave away cuz IDGAF about Modok.
I'm convinced sending you a "replacement" is a way of getting figures that are taking up space in the warehouse and no one wants, out.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:21 PM   #26
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

Bought the exclusive redcog transformer and jhiaxus action figures today at TRU. Asked them what the return policy on these toys was and was told that I have up to January to return them due to the Christmas extension.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:23 PM   #27
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
I'm convinced sending you a "replacement" is a way of getting figures that are taking up space in the warehouse and no one wants, out.
No need for convincing, that's the policy on their end. Hasbro only retains what has not been sold to retailers so it will always be a shelfwarmer that you get. But it will be of the same value.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:06 PM   #28
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
. A 10byear old isn't chomping at the bit for X-Men figures from a 30 year old comic event.
That's true. And that's why all of us only ever saw the non spider characters from the ML Armadillo wave in stores. The adult collector market is not big enough to have those non spider characters sell out instantly while the spider characters attract both collectors and kids.

That instead just shows me that the adult collector market is smaller than people on the board think. Or else I wouldn't still be seeing sleepwaker, hercules, tigra, fem loki and hammerhead in stores.

The only characters that sell out are the characters kids know. That's the biggest factor in whether or not a figure sells out. Industry professionals say we are only 20% of the market and the shelfwarmers all being characters that only attract older fans gives credence to that. So until there is market analysis showing the opposite, I'll just take the industry professionals at their word since they do pay millions for that market research.

Last edited by MapleMegatron; 10-13-2022 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:39 PM   #29
Canukle
Clonetrooper

Quote:
Bought the exclusive redcog transformer and jhiaxus action figures today at TRU. Asked them what the return policy on these toys was and was told that I have up to January to return them due to the Christmas extension.
Must be up to the store, then. They didn't say anything when I was in there buying Joes yesterday - and I didn't see any signage.

Maybe from just a few stores that have had a problem with bogus or frequent returns
Canukle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:58 PM   #30
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
That's true. And that's why all of us only ever saw the non spider characters from the ML Armadillo wave in stores. The adult collector market is not big enough to have those non spider characters sell out instantly while the spider characters attract both collectors and kids.

That instead just shows me that the adult collector market is smaller than people on the board think. Or else I wouldn't still be seeing sleepwaker, hercules, tigra, fem loki and hammerhead in stores.

The only characters that sell out are the characters kids know. That's the biggest factor in whether or not a figure sells out. Industry professionals say we are only 20% of the market and the shelfwarmers all being characters that only attract older fans gives credence to that. So until there is market analysis showing the opposite, I'll just take the industry professionals at their word since they do pay millions for that market research.
I think the landscape is different though when it comes to Canada and the USA. In the U.S parents can more easily afford these new marvel legends for their kids because for one, prices are lower, and two, they have sales much more often and promotions like buy 2 get 1 for 50% off. not to mention they get coupons quite often too that help soften the blow. So for that reason I could see more parents buying their kids ML's stateside for that reason. Where as here in Canada, I just can't see kids making up anywhere near the profit margin when it comes to the sales for ML's when compared to the states. We don't have the same sales and promotions as they do, add on top of that the inflated prices of these things here now. The only parents that would be able to afford these for their kids are the very well off ones.