ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #41
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe
Re: Toys R Us Canada Announces all Collector Items Products as FINAL SALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
I worked at Walmart once and they said one of the most common ways people steal stuff is to just load up a cart and walk out with it. No one assumes the person with the fully loaded cart would be ballsy enough to steal all of it and that's how they get away with it.
This must've been years ago before they put the one way gates in as I can't see someone being able to do that now.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 11:07 AM   #42
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
That makes me wonder, although off topic. How many stores in general actually have someone looking at the camera feeds live? I can't imagine too many and if I had to guess the cameras are more a deterrent than anything else. Otherwise people wouldn't be able to steal stuff right out of the box in store at places like Walmart, Target and such.

Cameras are generally for two reasons.

1) To act as a deterrent, in the hopes it will make thieves think twice before stealing.

2) Evidence after the fact to help identify the perpetrators and hopefully catch them afterwards.

I worked retail for years, and none of the places I worked had anyone watching the cameras, it wasn't worth the cost of staffing. I did happen to catch the odd person from time to time when taking a break in the room with the camera screens (as a manager). However that was rare.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:54 PM   #43
Robimus
Super Moderator

In the retail places I have worked the cctv system is more of a retroactive deterrent.

Pretty much impossible to watch dozens of cameras live, but if you identify an individual or an area of concern the cameras could be used usefully at that point.

Be super easy to track people doing fraudulent returns for instance.

Do these big box stores do this, or consider it a useful way to use their labor hours. I doubt it.

As long as they are below their quarterly shrinkage goals they likely don’t care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
Cameras are useless if no one is looking at them live.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:15 PM   #44
MorphGrid
Cobra Trooper

I've been to 2 major TRU locations, and none of them list Marvel Legends or other lines as being final sale. So it at least lends credibility to it being on a store-by-store basis. However, I have seen "Funko are Final Sale" signs due to people mass buying and mass returning the non-chase items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Be super easy to track people doing fraudulent returns for instance.

Do these big box stores do this, or consider it a useful way to use their labor hours. I doubt it.
Funny enough, TRU is the only one that requires you to fill out the return form, which includes your name, address, and payment info (more relevant if it's a credit card that was used in the transaction).

But it seems like in spite of that, swaps still go through that so it's possible that people aren't pursued for fraudulent returns despite having the necessary means to track that.
MorphGrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 03:53 PM   #45
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphGrid View Post
I've been to 2 major TRU locations, and none of them list Marvel Legends or other lines as being final sale. So it at least lends credibility to it being on a store-by-store basis. However, I have seen "Funko are Final Sale" signs due to people mass buying and mass returning the non-chase items.

Funny enough, TRU is the only one that requires you to fill out the return form, which includes your name, address, and payment info (more relevant if it's a credit card that was used in the transaction).

But it seems like in spite of that, swaps still go through that so it's possible that people aren't pursued for fraudulent returns despite having the necessary means to track that.
I think it all comes down to that it's not worth the resources to pursue any action against the person unless they catch them during the act as Robimus said.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 04:51 PM   #46
cloud
Master of the Universe

I was at ToysRUS in Burnaby BC yesterday.
The only signage saw was Funko Pops are final sale which is fine. I think Funko Pops in recent years have been big for scalpers and speculaters which buy first and return later if can't sell.
So that's fine.
With the price jacking up at Toys R Us. I find myself shopping way less there than before so doesn't really affect me.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote