ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #31
Scrapper6
Cylon Centurion
Re: What do you collect?

My collecting habits fluctuate, once or twice a year I'll get a drive to go out and resume collecting anything I can from a certain toyline that interests me, but eventually I let it sit and wait until I am once again driven to get my hands on something and play the dreaded Catch Up Phase of a Collector's Life.

However I have managed to reduce these urges so I don't go out and just buy crap or the Latest Thing for the sake of having it.

What I currently Collect:

Transformers (Blanket Collecting, I'll buy Generations, Movieverse or anything older from collections I haven't completed yet.)
G.I.Joe Modern Figures Only (Currently I'm starting to feel a strong urge to play catch up with the 25th line as I have a lackluster 3 figures from that collection and my goals for the collection are considerably higher than that. I also get RoC and PoC, I am however leery about getting into the 30th anniversary stuff. May pick up some Cobra Soldiers and Troop Builders from that sub-line only depending on what they look like.)
Star Wars Vintage Collection Mostly, with a few selected figures from older lines with Vintage style articulation. Also, I'm still interested in The Clone Wars sub-line, but I've decided to re-evaluate what I want to collect from it, as I am extremely dissapointed with the lack of proper knee articulation in certain figures.
Marvel Universe/3.75' Comic Series figures from the Movie Toylines. Not aiming for Completionist for this thing, I've got a certain number of figures I'm going to track down and stuff, but others, well I seriously don't need 85 different versions of Spider-Man.
LEGO, just LEGO, I collect many different Themes from this wonderful toyline, but I try to limit the amount of time I spend collecting it as it is considerably expensive. I may want over 500 vintage sets from the late 80's to the middle 2000's, but I'm not actively hunting down older sets. Just wanting them, if I get them great, if I don't... Well it's not the end of the world.
My Little Pony Friendship is Magic (What can I say, I'm aiming to be a completionist for this line, but I'm sort of picking and choosing what I buy so I'm not sure how serious I'll be sticking to that idea.)

Toylines I once collected:
TMNT
MOTU
Batman Movie stuff from the 90's
GIJoe Vintage Stuff from the 80's
Assorted other toylines that I got as a child.

Toylines which I would like to collect someday:
MOTUC
Figure Arts Kingdom Hearts stuff

I was a fool at times in my younger days, seriously, what was I thinking when I got into LotR figures? UGH.

I also collect...

Star Wars Novels
Star Trek Novels
Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms/Ravenloft Novels
Certain Films Which Interest Me That aren't Walt-Disney
MOST ANYTHING FILM/CARTOON RELATED THAT IS WALT DISNEY. (Exceptions include films that just don't interest me, are too stupid looking [Beverly Hills Chiuaus I'm looking at you] and other products that are on the what were they thinking list.)
Transformers Comics
Sonic the Hedgehog Comics
Videogames Mostly Nintendo Platform Titles
Marvel Comics Novels, the older paperback stuff they put out, I've got a fair amount of them, but am looking to get more of them.

Due to budgeting constraints most of my collecting these days is for stuff on clearance, sale or rollback. In fact, I haven't bought a new game or movie since... Come to think of it I think the last game I bought was The Legendary Starfy for DS and the last movie I bought was... Something Disney related.
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #32
Marvs
Cobra Trooper

Star War 3 3/4
Marvel Universe - I finally gave in to collecting this line and now I'm playing catchup.
Marvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #33
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvs View Post
Star War 3 3/4
Marvel Universe - I finally gave in to collecting this line and now I'm playing catchup.

If you want an instant MU collection for a fraction of what it costs to buy one, check out my ebay thread. I am selling my collection - 80+ figures all in one shot.

http://actionfigurenews.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=5482
Old 10-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #34
CTO15
Avengers Assemble!

So I can cross off Transformers Animated from my list.

Just sold the collection today

Sad but it had to go
Old 10-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #35
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTO15 View Post
So I can cross off Transformers Animated from my list.

Just sold the collection today

Sad but it had to go
Sometimes, what must be done, must be done.

That said, I mailed off my entire MU collection and most of my DCUC collection to some happy buyers. Got a fraction for what they were worth, but whatever. They're gone, and I can pay for my SDF-1, so that's all good. Actually, did better than I thought.

After careful consideration this past week, I have revised my collecting habbits as follows. Slow day at work so I got time to type some details:

Macross - All in. Try to buy as much of this stuff as I possibly can. For the money, as expensive as the pieces are, these are engineering works of art, and I get the most pleasure out of these, so they're worth it. Plus, they seem to retain most of their value, if not more for some pieces, just in case I want to sell them later. These will take up the majority of my budget - already eyeing six or seven new valkyries in the coming months.

Revoltech and Figma - buy sparingly. Only figures I really want, especially the Figma line. I can no longer justify buying cool looking figures without knowing what they are, since I don't watch much Anime besides Macross. I have a few preorders remaining that I'll still follow through on for Figma.

Transformers - Only Masterpiece toys, and even then, only ones that represent their G1 counterparts.

GI Joe - Collecting any representation of the original 80's figures, so this means the 30th anniversary figures - minus the useless Renegades toys. Also probably get the figure subscription to the GIJCC.

Things I'm done with, or almost done with:

DCUC - Probably done unless a certain character I really want pops up. I kept a dozen figures, and it looks like that's all I'll carry.

Kenner Super Powers - If there is a toy drought, maybe one day I will plug the holes in my collection, but not anytime soon.

MU - Done like dinner. I found the line uninspiring after six months and should have stopped then, but kept going out of habit. No more! Just tired of the multiple comic pack releases, the crappy QC, etc.

SDCC - I used to love collecting lots of SDCC items, even for lines I don't normally collect, but that's done now. No more, unless a certain figure pertains to a line I currently collect (eg: GI Joe).

MOSC/MISB collecting - Done buying two of things - one to open, one to keep sealed. Just done with it. No space, costs too much, and I never look at them again as they stay in storage, so there's no point. The only doubles I'll be collecting is of GI Joe figures that are still on the classic vintage cards.

Finally, no new toy lines. I gotta draw the line. Only way I would collect a new toy line is if it is replacing one I currently collect. I think that's it. Man, it certainly is a slow work day. Time to go watch some Macross reviews by CollectionDX on youtube.

Last edited by pud333; 10-15-2011 at 01:52 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #36
pandaprime
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
Finally, no new toy lines. I gotta draw the line. Only way I would collect a new toy line is if it is replacing one I currently collect. I think that's it. Man, it certainly is a slow work day. Time to go watch some Macross reviews by CollectionDX on youtube.
What about Unit:E ???
Old 10-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #37
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaprime View Post
What about Unit:E ???
I just found out about that two minutes ago. I dont' know if they'll actually make any toys from this. The only thing I'd be interested in is if MASK came back. But then, I'd have to cut something out.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #38
Marvs
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
If you want an instant MU collection for a fraction of what it costs to buy one, check out my ebay thread. I am selling my collection - 80+ figures all in one shot.

http://actionfigurenews.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=5482
Man! Sorry Pud, I just saw your reply today.
Marvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #39
pud333
Master of the Universe

Ha! No worries!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #40
protoform_ironhide
Cobra Trooper

Transformers mostly. Just start with Mega Bloks Marvel lately! They are sooooo neat, got to love them!
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote