ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 11:35 PM   #851
MULTIPLEX
Decepticon
Re: Star Wars Black Series discussion

$14.99 was the clearance. I got a second set for 1/2 off during that promotion. So $7.50!!!

MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #852
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
I've also been to that vendor's website and it is hilarious the price they are charging for certain items.

Take, for example, this ML Cyclops figure, sold by them for $54.99:

http://www.rarehunters.ca/collection...lops-pre-order

Or, even better, the Han and Greedo TRU exclusive box set for $99.99. You know, the one that was clearanced at TRU for $14.99:

http://www.rarehunters.ca/collection...h-showdown-set

They still have a website? The last time I was on it, it was incredibly outdated with little to no updates. While I totally agree that their general pricing is outrageous, I will say I have been treated fair when ordering comlpete waves and cases...a little bit of a mark up but nothing more than say 3-4 bucks per figure when compared to big box retail, and the say $15-$20 premium has paid for itself to avoid the hunt.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #853
Rare Hunters Toys
Red Shirt

Quote:
I've also been to that vendor's website and it is hilarious the price they are charging for certain items.

Take, for example, this ML Cyclops figure, sold by them for $54.99:

http://www.rarehunters.ca/collection...lops-pre-order

Or, even better, the Han and Greedo TRU exclusive box set for $99.99. You know, the one that was clearanced at TRU for $14.99:

http://www.rarehunters.ca/collection...h-showdown-set
On behalf of independently owned small Canadian toy businesses, this is Chris Fraser, the owner of Rare Hunters.

It has always been my dream to sell toys and games to the world. This world is full of multi-national corporations who can undersell on everything from chips and eggs to Marvel Legends...(I invite you to check out 'South Park 2004 Season 8 - ep.9 Something Wall-Mart This Way Comes). If you think we get the same deals as the big boxes you are mistaken. This is why you see so many comic shops going under and no new independent toy stores opening. The more you support small businesses, the more opportunity we have to provide more value.

We try very hard to bring in the best toys from the US and Canada, and make them accessible to our Customers with zero stress. We ship all products over $49.99 on our site Canada wide for free and package every item with full bubble wrap and strong box.

Also I feel it's important to mention that my father and I did wait in line at Hasbro on Thursday. My Dad, Brother, and I have been going to Fan Expo for decades, and as vendors for the past 6 years. Would it be so strange that we enjoyed waiting in line like you and getting the SDCC exclusives?

If there is ever anything you are looking for try contacting us. I would be happy to personally help you out and provide a discount based on any bad experience you've had with Rare Hunters Toys.

May the Force be with You!
Rare Hunters Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:00 PM   #854
Wintermute
Master of the Universe

I appreciate your response, but it really doesn't address at all the markups you have charged - in particular with those two examples I posted.

I have seen that same ML Cyclops sold at Dungeon Comics in Dundas - a small business - for $24.99. Conspiracy Comics, another small business, sold the same thing for a bit more - $27.99.

So, yes, I get that small businesses have to make a profit and they do face stiff competition from big box stores.

That being said, can you, being a small business, justify reasonably charging more than twice as much for a figure as other small businesses just like you?

Ditto for the Han and Greedo set. Can you justify selling something for $99.99 when it's clearanced for $14.99?

I get that there is going to be a markup - but one that is that drastic?

If you peruse this board a bit more I think you will learn that as collectors, we are a pretty savvy bunch when it comes to pricing. If you find people who will pay $54.99 for ML Cyclops and $99.99 for Han and Greedo, well done. But I can guarantee you not one person on this board - or anyone who has some experience collecting action figures - would pay those prices.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #855
Rare Hunters Toys
Red Shirt

Quote:
I appreciate your response, but it really doesn't address at all the markups you have charged - in particular with those two examples I posted.

I have seen that same ML Cyclops sold at Dungeon Comics in Dundas - a small business - for $24.99. Conspiracy Comics, another small business, sold the same thing for a bit more - $27.99.

So, yes, I get that small businesses have to make a profit and they do face stiff competition from big box stores.

That being said, can you, being a small business, justify reasonably charging more than twice as much for a figure as other small businesses just like you?

Ditto for the Han and Greedo set. Can you justify selling something for $99.99 when it's clearanced for $14.99?

I get that there is going to be a markup - but one that is that drastic?

If you peruse this board a bit more I think you will learn that as collectors, we are a pretty savvy bunch when it comes to pricing. If you find people who will pay $54.99 for ML Cyclops and $99.99 for Han and Greedo, well done. But I can guarantee you not one person on this board - or anyone who has some experience collecting action figures - would pay those prices.

Chris here again from Rare Hunters Toys,

I cannot speak to individual store prices, but I can tell you that many factors come together in determining our prices. For example shipping, importing, pre-order guarantee, exchange rate, etc. If you had purchased Storm or Magneto from us at $54.99, you would be very happy like many of our customers.

If you purchased the ML Cyclops at $24.99 + HST = $28.23 + $26.76 Shipping to Nova Scotia you will see why our URL calculated this National website price. Being a small business, we are working everyday to improve how we do business. I see this as feedback and hope to better cater to the savvy collector market. We know our website is out-dated and we are working to improve the customer experience.

If you visit my pop-up-shop I have the ML Cyclops for $30 not tax. This has been the in-store price since we received our stock directly from Hasbro USA. Our exclusives are all purchased directly from our US supplier, sometimes adding costs to secure product.

We don't get any merchandise discounts from distributers to clear out product to make way for new stock. We don't have a huge team or a massive store downtown... but we have the love of toys! It is my hope that one day we have the best price on every item we carry, and with your help and support we can make it happen.

May the Force be with You!
Rare Hunters Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:23 AM   #856
MULTIPLEX
Decepticon

Hey guys, keep an eye out for this Kmart exclusive at EB Games just like how Kmart exclusive Rey Starkiller Base showed up there. Hopefully they will get it. Not sure when it's slated for release.

MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #857
Wintermute
Master of the Universe

Someone on a Star Wars Black Series Facebook group posted about finding Black Series Jyn, K2-SO, Deathtrooper and another figure from the wave "out in the wild".

Someone commented asking where he found it and he still hasn't responded lol.

He is Canadian though so I suppose we can assume he found it in Canada.

The pic he posted has a receipt in it and it looks like it came from Walmart.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #858
Robimus
Super Moderator

Quote:

Just to be fair I think it is worth pointing out that those sets are now regularly selling for over $60 usd on eBay, which is like $80 Canadian.

Do I think the price is a little high? Sure, but some have gone for more than that of late on eBay.

Hard to judge retail pricing based on clearance prices. The retailer might not have paid clearance pricing when they first brought the item in.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #859
wedge1021
Mutant

Quote:
Someone on a Star Wars Black Series Facebook group posted about finding Black Series Jyn, K2-SO, Deathtrooper and another figure from the wave "out in the wild".

Someone commented asking where he found it and he still hasn't responded lol.

He is Canadian though so I suppose we can assume he found it in Canada.

The pic he posted has a receipt in it and it looks like it came from Walmart.
I have seen someone post finding these at a Walmart in the Ottawa region this week as well.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #860
Robimus
Super Moderator

Can you give me a link?

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote