ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you going to watch The Phantom Menace in 3D?
Yay! 15 40.54%
Nay! 22 59.46%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #31
Matrix_Holder
The Chosen One
Re: Are You Going To See The Phantom Menace in 3D?

The only thing that could make that movie even more craptastic than it already is.....is if Michael Bay directed it.
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=17116 My Customs Thread:

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=28223
My collection showcase
Facebook :MatrixHolder Prime
PS3 :Matrix_Holder
YouTube Channel: MatrixHolder
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #32
racerguy76
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
The only thing that could make that movie even more craptastic than it already is.....is if Michael Bay directed it.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #33
Scrapper6
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by deagle7000 View Post
The wife hadn't seen it so I took her last night. I just wish they were doing this a few years from now when my son would be old enough to watch them. Not sure when the original trilogy will hit so maybe that will line up.

Anyway, it had been a while since I had seen it and something still bothers me. I'm not talking about the lame plot points, the terrible dialog given to our young Darth Vader, or even how all but one of the Trade Federation ships just disappear for no reason. All that stuff I can chalk up to Lucas being terrible when he has too much control. I can overlook most of it.

The real issue is that is. What do we see at the start of the movie? Some fully trained Jedi. Then you get this feeling "oh man, Star Wars is back". Early on we are shown that a properly trained Jedi has super-speed. Then we never see this again in any of the movies. More importantly, when Obi-Wan is waiting behind the shields to go help fight Darth Maul he just forgets that he has the super-speed. He could have just zipped through there and helped in the fight. Basically Qui-Gon dies because Obi-Wan is forgetful?
I just chalk that up to someone reigning in Lucas after seeing the dailies of Obi and Qui-Gon zipping down the corridor. Super Speed is not the Jedi way, unless it's Jedi Flash, then you can do super speed and make it look good.

I really enjoyed seeing the film again in 3D, it was a great film and the best part is I got to see the new material from the DVD/BLU-RAY on the big screen for the first time. I'm glad for that much at least as it gives you something new to keep an eye out for. Not sure if Lucas added anything for AotC, the DVD never seemed to have anything added to it.

However I am glad I got the chance to see the new CGI Yoda without septuple dipping on the PT.

I also think that Lucas and Co. really knew what they were doing with this 3D, it isn't the big theme park ride style. And it isn't half-arsed, the 3D effects are all handled quite nicely with some subtle depth perception that really makes you feel like you're the camera. And on top of that, some of the CGI shots have been modified. (The STAPs zipping by so fast at the beginning during the initial invasion make you want to reach out and grab them, but they go by so quickly you barely notice the 3D.)

Some of the scenes didn't add much with the 3D experience, however it was still great.

The only real problem I had was keeping interested in a film I already knew the plot to. I got more excited when I noticed the new stuff, like CGI yoda than I did for most of the movie because I've seen it so many times. It got to the point where I was kind of wishing for something to do with my hands while watching it. (Like opening a new TF or something.)

That's the real issue I have with double-dipping at the cinema, if you've seen the movies numerous times there has to be something significant to make you want to go again and not get bored out of your mind watching the same old, same old.

The kids in the audience enjoyed it though, and thanks to The Clone Wars, when our favorite whatever species she is bounty hunter cameod, one of them loudly proclaimed. That's Aurra Sing!
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #34
deagle7000
Keeper of the plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
I just chalk that up to someone reigning in Lucas after seeing the dailies of Obi and Qui-Gon zipping down the corridor. Super Speed is not the Jedi way, unless it's Jedi Flash, then you can do super speed and make it look good.
The problem is that the expanded universe stuff (games and such) tell us that they CAN run super fast. But the fact is that in the same movie we see something introduced when it isn't really needed and then completely ignored when it would have made all the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
I also think that Lucas and Co. really knew what they were doing with this 3D, it isn't the big theme park ride style. And it isn't half-arsed, the 3D effects are all handled quite nicely with some subtle depth perception that really makes you feel like you're the camera. And on top of that, some of the CGI shots have been modified. (The STAPs zipping by so fast at the beginning during the initial invasion make you want to reach out and grab them, but they go by so quickly you barely notice the 3D.)

Maybe this is just a difference in opinion. Post-converted 3D stuff is almost always not worth the few cool moments it provides. 3D SHOULD be the experience, the thrill ride. Again, that is just my opinion. 3D and having to wear the glasses (over my own that I already wear) makes movies darker and can easily take away from the visual quality that was already there. Maybe it was just the theater I was in but there was a lot of motion blur anytime the camera was panning or things were moving. It was really distracting. The theater I go to is fairly new and the screen they show 3D in was upgraded to state of the art like six months ago so I doubt it was the screen. Watching the blu-ray at home on my 50" is definitely better quality.
deagle7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #35
Robimus
Super Moderator

3D Box office total as of February 19th - 34 Million. I suspect they were hoping for a bit more than that.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #36
Hantei
Master of the Universe

Just saw it in 3D last night, wasn't as bad as I remember it being, haha. The 3D didn't really add all that much, though I did feeling like I was moving when they showed a FPV of Anakin's ship rolling, that was pretty cool. First time I saw the new CG Yoda footage, he turned out really great. There was, maybe, 10 people in total for my screening, haha.

And one surprisingly thing was that the movie was only $7.50 yesterday. I don't recall 3D movies ever being that cheap on cheap Tuesdays.
Hantei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #37
Tonestar
Rookie Supreme

Nay, I will not. George Lucas has enough of my money between the DVD'S, Blu-Ray's, Videos and all the toys, collectables and everything I have that's Star Wars from all the movies. I know he's retired from mainstream movies but I still I won't support his great-great-great-grand-kids in seeing Menace. Sorry George .
Tonestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #38
HumanEraser LS-02
S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent 91

I already saw this the first time around in '99, and I don't think I'll go through that again.
HumanEraser LS-02 is offline   Reply With Quote