ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #941
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

562-2
McFarlane Toys- Mortal Kombat: Raiden

So I mentioned this on my Instagram when it happened, but probably worth repeating here. Long story short I had an issue with my Mortal Kombat Raiden and while they couldn’t replace it directly, they sent another figure in its place at no charge and within a week of my email to them. Absolutely blown away by this level of service and extremely happy to be a Mcfarlane toys fan. The specific issue surrounded a seized knee joint that would not budge. Customer service tried to diagnose the issue and provide solutions (hot water / hairdryer) which wasn’t much help to me as a long time collector, but would have been awesome advice for a parent or new collector. Thankfully I was able to crack the joint without breaking the figure, but still have issues with some of the swivel movement. As a toy collector I really hate broken toys, but am thrilled that a company like Mcfarlane is able to stand behind their products.

Pros: I am absolutely blown away at the detail on the figure. The sculpt, the paint and mould is just incredible and while I don’t love to compare to competing brands, just head and shoulders over the stuff that other lines are pumping out. To make things better, he comes with 2 extra hands, a detailed wooden staff and two different lighting effects that can fit in his hands. Articulation is a bit better than standard McFarlane Toys with an added leg swivel (even though mine is frozen) and provides enough movement for some cool poses. Seriously, this figure is way better than it deserves to be for the price.

Cons: Biggest issue with this figure was that mine had a seized leg joint that was only partially fixed by the end of my fiddling.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #942
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

563-1
Disney Toy Box- Marvel: Venom.

These Toy Box figures are so interesting as they are based on the Disney Infinity line of toys that basically intertwined all the Disney properties into one single universe where they could essentially intermingle. Basically, when in the game, one player could play as Mickey Mouse while another as Spider-Man. If you extrapolate this thinking into the ToyBox series, there is a larger “Infinity'' universe in which all these characters interact/scale with each other. And while that might not be a big deal with Disney and Pixar characters, as it happens all the time and they all more or less have the same “clean” image, it is a much different when you consider that both Star Wars and Marvel have their fair share of popular villain characters that are extremely non-Disney-like. For example Venom, who has killed a lot of people in the Marvel universe, is on the same footing as say Elsa from Frozen and Woody from Toy Story. Not that I’m complaining as I really adore these Toy Box figures, but I think it would be really interesting to see a comic or cartoon that featured such interactions within the Infinity universe.

Pros: Part of the larger sized figures, Venom looks very imposing. I love the ultra-shiny paint job, the cartoonish sculpt and both the monster and Eddie Brock head designs. Articulation is decent but I’m missing the ankle tilts that have become less common on these figures.

Cons: Due to the way he is sculpted, the head and neck rotation is a bit weird as he cannot look left or right and while I appreciate the black tentacle accessory, it’s a bit large when attached.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #943
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

564-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Hobgoblin

Well, this is bad timing. It really was not my intention to open both the Green Goblin and Hobgoblin in the same go round, but such is life. That said, it IS somewhat fitting given that they are intertwined, namely Hobgoblin being a facsimile of The Green Goblin, or rather the other way around if you are a fan of the 90’s Animated series and I really have to hand it to Hasbro for producing a different glider for Hobgoblin and including two very detailed head sculpts. Truly if Hasbro is going to pump out these repainted, re-tooled moulds as part of every wave, they should be doing what they did here and give us figures that do seem the same.

Pros: For the most part Hobgoblin is a re-tooled version of the Green Goblin figure that was released just before, but suits me fine as it is very detailed, well-articulated and comes with the same Goblin-Purse and pumpkin bomb. New inclusions to the figure include two fantastically detailed head sculpts, a torn cape and a completely different glider that I actually like better and that Hobgoblin fits on to fairly well.

Cons: I really wish that I did not open and review so close to the Green Goblin review as I feel I would appreciate Hobgoblin that much more. That said, I really have no issues and is certainly a contender for figure of the year.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #944
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

565-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Batmobile.

As is tradition for BAF reviews, I’ll do a quick once over on the figures of this wave:

Nightwing: Overall I really liked this version of Nightwing and feel that, aside from scale issues, it is a better version of the character compared to the DC Icons Nightwing.
Batman Who Laughs: BWL is such an interesting character and a really bold choice for McFarlane to tackle in one of the first waves. That said, given his super creepy look, it makes perfect sense that McFarlane did an amazing job and this figure continues to be very high on my favorite lists for this line.
Batgirl: I adore this character and while I recognize that McFarlane did a good job, the head sculpt and overall size as compared to the others kind of put me off her.

Pros: While I recognize what McFarlane was trying to do with this BAF, I can honestly say that I’m not really a fan of having vehicles as future BAFs. That said, I suppose it’s a cool looking Batmobile.

Cons: Overall I consider BAFs to be things that collectors actually want to have and honestly, a nondescript Batmobile does not do it for me. Perhaps if this was a classic Batmobile, or even one of many possible Bat themed vehicles, it could be cool, but as it seems like a waste of plastic. I’m glad that future BAFs look to be very impressive rather than a cheap feeling Hot Wheels car.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #945
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

566-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Giant Man

As is tradition for BAF reviews, I’ll do a quick once over on the figures of this wave. This was a bit of a oddly put together wave as there was technically two different assortments, but with some luck I was able to cobble together a completed Giant Man:

1. Captain America: One of many MCU Captain America figures. It’s a decent figure, but way over used.
2. Iron-Man: See above.
3. Black Panther: My first Black Panther and overall pretty cool if you ask me. Could use more accessories though.
4. Wanda: A nice figure for the MCU Scarlet Witch. Notable addition for new energy effects is always a plus.
5. Nuke: I love this toy. The figure is beefy, has a bunch of extras and the character is amazingly bizarre. If he had a normal gun it would have easily been the best figure of the wave.
6. Nick Fury: I came across this figure used and reviewed it some time ago. That said, great figure and a perfect use of SHEILD body with multiple accessories and head. Best of the wave as far as I’m concerned.
7. Red Guardian: He’s a cool figure, but nothing really that special as a re-tool of Captain America.

Pros: Arguably the best use of the BAF concept, Giant Man is an imposing figure to have on the shelf. He has a detailed sculpt and a decent amount of articulation for some alright poses.

Cons: This is becoming a bit of a downward trend, but I really hate when ankle articulation is limited thereby making it difficult to point his toe up. Also, while the figure is fun and unique, he’s kind of basic.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:44 AM   #946
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

567-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Space Venom.

As is tradition for BAF reviews, I’ll do a quick once over on the figures of this wave.

1. Ultimate Spider-Man: A great re-release of the younger / smaller sized Spiderman from the Ultimate Universe that I really enjoyed. A bit lacking in articulation though.
2. Spider-Man Miles Morales: A repaint of the Ultimate Spider-Man and a great first Miles Morales Spider-Man figure. That said, I wish it was a bit more unique from the regular Spider-Man release given that I love the character.
3. Electro: Really great version of this funky Spider-Villain and use of the mould. Extra points for two head sculpts, but loss of points for no spare hands.
4. Silk: A very popular character, but a meh figure as it utilizes the same old female mould. Two nice head sculpts though.
5. Spider-Bitch: All the meh of a female mold and none of the extras or character recognition of Silk.
6. Hobgoblin: Best for last and even though it’s a repaint of The Green Goblin, there are enough other accessories to make it feel like a new release.

Pros: True story, Agent Venom was the first Marvel Legend figure that I ever purchased and started quite the journey. I actually really like the Flash Thompson Venom character, but am not really positive on why Space Venom is a thing, outside of the fact that he briefly joined The Guardians of the Galaxy and this was the form that the suit took. That said, I like the new bulky look as it’s a nice mix between the classic black and white original and the newer special forces Agent Venom. Overall he has fairly standard articulation for these bigger figures that allow for a number of decent poses.

Cons: Overall the release feels a bit basic. Again, not too sure about the character, but some additional accessories including some weapons or Venom appendages should have been included. I also find it funny that he only has single point elbow joints, but I suppose for a figure this bulky it makes sense.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #947
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

568-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Sigma Six: Long Range

Sigma Six was a very divisive series for G.I. Joe fans, which is too bad given that there were some decent concepts and characters that have since been forgotten, except for some fans who are still holding on to the series. One of those characters is Long Range who, as far as I can tell, is unique to Sigma Six and has not appeared in any other main Joe lines. An oversight to be sure as he is really cool. If I recall correctly, he was of Creole decent, or maybe even of Latin heritage, but the file card was decidedly mum on his background and I’m not going to be revisiting the cartoon any time soon. That said, I think it would be great if was was re-introduced in the Classified series as an undercover Sniper who was of Latin heritage. I realize that the Joes already have a Sniper in Low Light and fans are likely hoping for a Six inch figure, but the joe team could be a bit more inclusive with another Latin member. Besides, he already looks like Antonio Banderas!

Pros: Long Range follows the Sigma trend with a decently articulated (for the time) Sigma suit and a ton of other accessories that really puts the fun in these releases. The center piece of the set is a rather imposing stand up sniper cannon with an auto loading, spring loaded barrel that holds four… bullets? Further accessories include a tactical hand pistol with a scope that can be attached to the cannon, a trademark white handled pistol, a set of binoculars to spy his targets and a camo poncho that pretty well covers it all up.

Cons: I’ll just come out and say it, that cannon is neat, but it’s a bit too large to take seriously and Joe fans LOVE to take things seriously. This version of Long Range also feels a bit less impressive than the first wave figures. It’s not surprising as the budget for these figures was probably cut significantly after they didn’t really hit with fans, but overall they are still pretty great.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #948
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

569-2
DC Collectables: DC Icons: Super Sons

I’m on the Icons home stretch and am finding these reviews to be very bittersweet. Yes I’m happy to have them in my collection and still a huge fan of the line in general, but still pissed off as to what could have been if they were able to release the figures that we prematurely announced which included Etrigan the Demon, Classic Catwoman, Sinestro, Deadshot, Captain Marvel, The Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. And while I could have done without Deadshot, BB and BG, Sinestro and Captain Marvel seemed like a no brainer as their other halves were already released. I also loved the look of Etrigan and help out hope for a release in the (poor in comparison) DC Essentials line. Sadly it probably wouldn’t have matted in the long run as DC Collectables folded after years of terrible decisions by Multi-National executives finally came to a head. At least I have a fairly solid roster of DC characters that are surprisingly not all Batman (looking at you McFarlane)

Pros: Super Boy- I can’t recall Super Boy’s background in the new 52, but I assume that he is still a genetic Clone to Kal-El with some added powers for good measure. I seem to recall a Comic cover with the boys and their father’s posturing off, face to face which is what this Super Boy is modeled off. Overall a detailed sculpt that Icons is known for, a good amount of articulation for a number of different poses, some extra hands including open, fists and flight, and a similar clear stand for flight mode.

Robin- The better son of the set (IMHO), Rodin is modeled after the divisive Damian Wayne (who I like BTW) and features his more iconic look, hooded cape, a bo staff and some really awesome hands that have molded red robin-a-rages. Awesome, AWESOME, AWSOME!!!

Cons: Super Boy- I’ll just come out and say it: I don’t like this figure… like at all. Yes I’m a fan of the 90’s Super Men era Super Boy so this figure never really stood a chance with me. That said, the jeans are dumb, the small cape is dumb and the lack of accessories is dumb. The flight stand is cool, but like Super Girl, it’s a bit finicky and only works with the one peg hole on his right foot; which is dumb.

Cons: Robin- My only gripe outside of how stiff the ankle joints were out of the box, is that he should have come with a sword and not a tiny little bo staff.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #949
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 04-29-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #950
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

570-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime: Shockwave

Nothing against the character, but I’ll never buy another Shockwave figure in my collecting life. I don’t understand why, but it just seems that I have amassed an unlimited supply over the years. Heck, you would think that I would have to change my long time user name to Team Shockwave at this point…

Pros: Typically I am very forgiving on these basic style figures, but I’ll be honest, this Shockwave sucks. The only redeeming factor is that he has a cool looking robot mode and he was only $10.

Cons: Where to start? His feet and ankle joint does not pivot enough to stand up straight, the Transformation is a sloppy confusing mess with no ability to peg sections into place and the vehicle mode seems like an afterthought. I wasn’t expecting much, but somehow Shockwave didn’t even meet that.