ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 07-31-2023, 11:08 AM   #1641
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

942-2
Toybiz- Lord of the Rings- The Two Towers: Grima Wormtongue.

Of all the characters developed in the Lord of the Rings movies, I feel that Wormtongue here was probably the most tragic. Yes, he was linked to the white wizard Sauroman and a real creep around the ladies, but perhaps that wasn't his fault. Like the other sneaky henchman in popular media, I think a guy like Grima should be considered a bit of a victim in the grand scheme of things with their only crime being a bit too impressionable. Hell, even Theodin understood this given that (in the extended edition) he attempted to save Wormtongue at the door of Isingaurd prior to him meeting the business end of Legolas's arrow. In a way, Grima could be considered a hero given that he killed Saruman when Gandalf was unable to, emulated in an action featured for all the kids in this Toybiz figure.

Pros: This figure shines in the way that all Toybiz LOTRs figures do: detail and sculpt. I also appreciate that he comes with not just one dagger, but THREE and one even has a scabbard to hold it in.

Cons: Unfortunately with great sculpts and detail comes the other thing that Toybiz LOTRs figures come with: unnecessary action features. Grima in particular has an annoying one given that the mechanism needed for the dagger stabbing action makes his left arm slightly loose and fragile causing it to come apart very easily.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 04:04 PM   #1642
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

943-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Princess Leia

Ok, go with me here. I know that the sequels are a hot button topic for Star Wars fans and people are divided, but I treat them the same way that I treat all Star Wars projects: I like the stuff I like and don't worry about the stuff I don't; it's the only way that a person can be a fan of something. However it is fun to sometimes reimagine the movies in a way that may have worked better in the long run and in hindsight. That said, I'm going to attempt just that and basically re-write the prequels, with the same cast of characters, in a way that I think fans would appreciate more than they currently do.

So over the next few Star Wars figure reviews I'll be going over my ideas for each of the movies in order that they were released with the one caveat that I'll be using, more or less, the same characters that were introduced by Disney.

Pros: Still kind of odd to me that it took Hasbro this long to make this version of Leia in their black series releases, but I suppose it all worked out in the end given that they probably wanted to get Slave Leia out before the execs and the public could rally against a slightly now problematic figure. At any rate, Hasbro has always struggled to get this original figure right, but I think they did a pretty nice job with this one. The sculpt is nice and has a decent likeness, the articulation is standard female which works well enough and I really appreciate the soft good cloak and multiple weapons.

Cons: My only issue is her hood is very large and billowy and doesn't really sit well on her head. Someone who customizes figures could easily put a wire in there and stabilize it, but not really required for my overall enjoyment.

Old 08-01-2023, 05:06 PM   #1643
Robimus
Super Moderator

Gotta love the cloth goods!

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 01:05 PM   #1644
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Gotta love the cloth goods!
Honestly it would fix 99% of the issues I have with figures these days.
Old 08-02-2023, 01:05 PM   #1645
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

944-2
Diamond Select Toys- Avatar the Last Airbender: Azula.

Not so fun fact about Grey Griffin who lent her voice to Azula in Avatar: The Last Airbender: As told by her in the official ATLA Podcast (hosted by Janet Varney and Donte Bosco): She recorded all Azula's lines in an afternoon and had no idea who she played nor anything about the impact of the character.

Follow-up fun fact about Grey Griffin: Since she learned about the fandom and the love for the character she has since fully embraced the character and has become a favorite for her involvement in conventions and interactions with fans.

To be honest when I first heard that she had no clue about her involvement in such an impactful character I was a bit bummed out. Like, how could she not care that she is the voice of one of the most compelling and crazed characters on one of the best cartoon series ever made? The reality of course is that she's a working voice actor that lends her voice to many different projects and would have no clue what project is what, when it comes out and if there is a massive fan base until much later. I guess as fans we have this rather naive idea that the participants in a thing we like need to share the same fanatical enthusiasm as we do which isn?t always the case. That said, it is very cool to see how some eventually come around.

Pros: Azula is a fine example of how Diamond can take a 2D character and create a very nice looking 3D version. This particular look for Azula is based on her final fight with Zuko and Katara and features her new ?sleek? self styled haircut, a blue fire effect and a familiar blue fire effect as well as some other fists and stands.

Cons: While I like how Diamond focused on a very specific look for Azula, I would have preferred a less crazed version, prior to the final battle look for her. Also, I am all for reusing, but I don;t love how they used the same ?air? effect from Aang, painted it blue and called it a fire effect. Also, some of the joints are a bit too loose to hold a pose.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:45 PM   #1646
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

29-R
Mcfarlane Toys: Animation Japan: Vash the Stampede.
Approximate Release Date: 2020

No joke, I picked Vash to review given that as of the time that I am writing this, the world famous “Calgary Stampede” is in full swing. Personally I can’t stand the Rodeo or the expedition, but for some it’s a fun time and a rather big deal with lots of cool stuff to see and do including some live music that I would actually enjoy if I went, but I digress…

Vash was part of a fairly unique subline of McFarlane Toys that featured characters from anime properties, BEFORE they were mainstream in North America. And while I was a fan of some stuff, I never really sought it out given that it was not as accessible as it is now. So why do I have this stuff in my collection? What can I say? It looked cool. Since then I’ve tried to watch Trigun (the series Vash is featured in) but like most other anime I just can’t get into it. I also have to give McFarlane a lot of credit for being on the leading edge of pop culture considering that these were released at the same time Cartoon Network started airing Gundam Wing that partially (along with Pokemon) lead to Anime being embraced by a generation of kids.

Pros: Vash the Stampede really exemplifies Mcfarlane Toys in the 90’s. An amazing sculpt, some nice accessories and excellent extras like a detailed base/stand, but…

Cons:... the articulation is basically non-existent. Looks good on a shelf, but it’s more of a movable statue rather than an action figure.

Old 08-04-2023, 11:24 AM   #1647
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-57
Mattel- Pixar Featured Favorites: Bing Bong

Well, I fucked up. I watched the Inside Out scene where Bing Bong sacrificed himself in Riley's memory to help Joy save her and now I’m an emotional mess. Thanks Pixar for the reminder that my daughter is an adult; perhaps next I’ll watch FInding Nemo to worry about losing my son, or the first 15 minutes of UP to remind me that we aren’t getting any younger. Seriously I really need to stay away from these gut-punch movies and stick with manly sports movies that won’t make real men cry.

*Starts up “RUDY”*

Yo, what the fu*k!

Pros: I’ll start by saying BingBong was a happy surprise given that I came upon him at Dollarama for $5 and it’s really hard to say no to a real toy for that price point. Hell, if this was actually released in Canada for $25-$30 I probably would have considered it, but we didn't; get that chance; yay for Dollarama I guess. Outside of that it's a fun figure from the movie, has a nice sculpt, a decent amount of articulation, comes with a core memory ball and even has a place to store it. Fun detail is that he even smells of Cotton Candy: now that is attention to detail.

Cons: For five bucks I cannot complain, that said, I wish there was a better way to either hold the core memory or an easier way to put it in the sack.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:36 PM   #1648
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-58
Beast Kingdom: Dynamic 8ction Heroes: DAH- 056 Batman 1989

We are going to party like it's 1989 and it’s not just because we are listening to Taylor Swift’s album on repeat (I mean, you got to get ready for that concert) . As is standard everything old is new again and no one knows that better than the creatively bankrupt execs in charge of the major film studios that they best way to drum up interest is to wheel out the classics and nothing is more classic, outside Adam West Batman, than Batman 1989, or rather what we called it back in the day: Batman. Yep that is right, Keaton batman is making a big splash right now due to his involvement in the in infamous new Flash movie where DC is apparently going to get it’s collective shit together, but given the issues that have plagued that movie up to this point I find it hard to believe that even the power of nostalgia will right anything wrong in the DC universe at this point. In fact I bet, much like us fans, Warner Brothers would love to go back to the simpler times when most people were actually excited for a fresh new look at a comic staple rather than being picked apart for every little choice. Although, unbeknownst to me, there were even some naysayers regarding Keaton’s casting, but all doubt was put aside when he showed up on screen: I guess some things never change. As for me? Well I never stopped liking the 1989 Batman, nor did I have an issue with Batman Returns so I a fairly pleased with this new updated merchandise and love for the classics (ugh, that feels wrong to say)

Pros: Full disclosure since I opened this figure, MEZCO has released their long anticipated 1989 Batman and while I do not have it, nor want to get it, the pictures and reviews of it make me REALLY appreciate this version; how is that for a backhanded compliment? I kid and there is a lot to appreciate about this figure including a nice overall sculpt, good amount of movement, a soft goods wired cape and a bunch of accessories. Also, like me, you may be wondering about that face sculpt, but it honestly looks remarkably similar to the promotional Batman shots that were included on basically everything.

Cons: This is a premium figure and as such I have certain expectations that include glued on armor not falling off right out of the box, which if you ask me is a fairly low bar. Unfortunately Batman did not meet this expectation. Yes I have access to glue, but I really shouldn’t need to. Also, as perhaps as a nod to the actual costume, having no neck pose-ability is ridiculous, not to mention the rather terrible way that the head and cape work together. Lastly to paraphrase The Joker ‘Where does he <STORE> all those wonderful toys?’ Yeah, he has a lot of things but nowhere to put them.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:37 PM   #1649
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 08-06-2023, 01:03 PM   #1650
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-59
Hasbro: Fortnite Victory Royal Series: Cluck

As of this writing it is actually the Easter Holiday and while I’m an atheist I do celebrate as far as the broader secular tradition of chocolate eggs and family dinners so it is apt that I’m reviewing my first (and probably last) Easter based figure. And while not? Easter could use a bump in the ol’ holiday rankings given that Halloween has really come on strong in the past few decades. That said, in all honesty there isn’t much to work with and Halloween does have the benefit of not being tied to a religious event so that will be hard to compete with, but I think with some solid brainstorming we can make Easter great again. Alright, what do we have to work with?: Chocolate? (good), Eggs? (good), Bunnies (cute), Hot Crossed Buns? (I’m in, but we may need to lose the cross part) and the thrill of finding stuff? (amazing)… What else could we add? How about a 6” anthropomorphic Chick visits your house and sets up a chocolate fondue if you have been good or shoots you in the face if you have been bad….

Pros: I mean, what can I even say about this figure that you can’t see with your own eyes: One bad ass chick soldier that is apparently a bit of a cannibal: Even if it didn’t have an awesome sculpt, fantastic articulation and great accessories, that should be enough for anyone to pick it up with confidence.

Cons: Those legs and ankles are the definition of form over function. This is a beefy figure and chicken legs don’t provide much stability.